Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Eternal Love Blooms ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
The next morning Valeri was making breakfast when she heard a knock at the door.
“I’ll get it!” She opened the door and was greeted by the sight of the Viral Digimon. “Hello, what are you doing here?”
“Hey. I came ta see ya,” he said, walking through the door. “Somethin’ smells good.”
“I’m making breakfast. Would you like some?”
“I guess. Whatcha makin’?”
“Pancakes and bacon. I usually make small breakfasts on the weekdays.”
They walked into the kitchen and Beelzemon sat down while Valeri went back to watching the bacon. Yuri was nowhere in sight, but that didn’t matter to him since he did not especially like her.
After breakfast, they walked to school. When they reached the entrance, Valeri told him goodbye. “Bye.”
“Alright, I’ll be waiting right here.”
“See that tall oak tree over there?” she asked, pointing to a large tree on the other side of the parking lot. “We can meet there. Ya know, so you don’t scare everybody.”
Beelzemon grinned mischievously. “Aww, but I like doin’ that. It’s especially funny ta hear these one girls scream when I scare ‘em.” He snickered and walked down the steps, waving to Valeri as she walked inside. He walked over to the oak tree and climbed up to the lower branches. For about an hour, he lay concealed in the tree and watched the clouds as they lazily floated overhead. Somewhere in the branches above, a bird’s song rang out. It’s a pretty decent day. Too bad Val’s gotta be cooped up in that dreary place. I don’t understand why humans even have schools, ‘course I don’t understand humans much either..... And with that, he dropped off to sleep.
Beelzemon bolted awake to a loud noise that sounded almost like a bell. He saw the teenagers streaming out of the front doors and cursed himself for sleeping for so long. He jumped down out of the tree, startling several teenagers, and leaned against it as he waited for Valeri. When he did not see her anywhere among the throngs of teenagers, he assumed that she was just late. But after a few more minutes he got fed up waiting and walked to her house. He walked right in without knocking and went into the kitchen, where Yuri was sitting at the table with one of her friends. Yuri’s friend Sasha stared wideat Beelzemon as he walked in.
“Where’s Val?”
“In her room. She ran home just before school let out, she seemed pretty upset.”
“Where’s her room?”
“Down the hall, first door on the left. I gotta warn ya though, careful going down those stairs. I don’t know how she does it, but those steps are steep. The last time I went down ‘em I fell and nearly broke somethin’.”
Beelzemon walked down the hallway, the conversation between the girls following him, and found the door. He carefully made his way downstairs. It was dark except for the light that came from a small lamp above an aquarium. Luckily, he could see in the dark otherwise he would have tripped over the books sprawled out in front of him. He carefully made his way over to Valeri’s bed, where she was sitting with her legs pulled to her chest and her face buried in her lap. He could hear faint sobbing.
“Val, you alright?” he asked, sitting down beside her.
“Huh?” She looked up at him, allowing him to see the jagged cut on her cheek that was oozing blood and other bruises. Her hair was disheveled and tears stained her cheeks, mixing with the blood. “Beelzemon? Oh, Beelzemon, those boys beat me up at school today!”
Beelzemon could feel his blood boiling. Damn those boys! When I get a hold of ‘em I’m gonna rip ‘em ta shreds! But first I need to help Valeri. Why do I even feel the need to do this? I’ve never thought about helping a human before or Digimon for that matter. He put his arm around her shoulder, giving her a comforting squeeze.
Valeri pressed her cheek against his side. “Why, why do they hate me so much? Everyone seems to hate me. I don’t see why though, I didn’t do anything,” She sighed. “It’s like the world’s against me for no reason at all. I haven’t felt this way since Mom got divorced and we had to move.”
“I don’t hate you. I always thought the way you do. Especially when I was a Rookie. The other Digimon were always against me because I was so weak. The higher level Digimon loved to torment me. I couldn’t take anymore and left the Digital World, coming here. But here I was rejected even worse, since I wasn’t human. Everyone was afraid of me. I realized that it was fun to frighten the humans, but it didn’t last long. One time I messed with the wrong humansgot hurt badly by their Digimon,” He could feel tears stinging his eyes as memories flooded back. “After that I hated all humans, because of the way I was treated.”
Valeri hugged him tightly. “It’s alright,” she said soothingly. “That’s all in the past. And, no matter what, I will never treat you badly ‘cause you’re my friend.”
Beelzemon was taken aback by Valeri’s words. He buried his face in her shoulder and hugged her tightly.
Valeri could feel his tears soaking her shirt but didn’t mind.
A minute later Beelzemon had recollected himself and was talking Valeri into coming upstairs. “Come on, let’s get your wounds looked at.”
“Alright.”
The two went upstairs into the bathroom, where Beelzemon examined her wounds. She had a jagged cut on her left cheek that was still bleeding and several bruises. There were red marks and several bruises on her right cheek. Her throat had bruises from where Dagger had tried to choke her and her bottom lip was bleeding.
After he had cleaned and bandaged her face (and cleaned his shirt), he took her to the park.
“What are we doing here?” Valeri asked when they reached it.
Beelzemon smiled secretively. “You’ll see.” He led her to an area blocked by large bushes.
Valeri looked up at him curiously. “Why are we here? It’s just a bunch of bushes.”
Beelzemon rolled his eyes and pushed her through. Valeri gasped at the sight she beheld: a large rose garden.
There was a large variety of different types and colors, from a bloodclimbing rose to an orange long
Beelzemon came up behind her and watched as she looked around. “I’m guessin’ that ya like it.” he said, grinning.
“Yes I do. It’s so…so” she stopped, unable to find the right word.
“Unbelievable?”
“Yeah, that’s right! Unbelievable,” She turned and looked at him. “How did you find this place?”
Beelzemon looked around, sighed, and frowned slightly. “I found this place when I was running from the Tamers and their Digimon.”
“Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean”
“It’s alright, you didn’t know.” He cast one last fleeting glance at the garden before turning and walking out.
Oh, no. Now he’s probably mad at me. Valeri thought as she followed him as he walked down the path.
Suddenly, as if to match the mood, it started to rain. Beelzemon kept walking, shoulders hunched with his thumbs in his belts, completely lost in thought.
Valeri ran and caught up with him. “Beelzemon?”
He ignored her.
Valeri looked down sadly; she had not meant to upset him. Great, I really did it this time. She hooked her arm around his and rested her head against his arm.
This startled Beelzemon a bit, but he quickly got over it. He pulled his arm out of hers, removed his jacket, and draped it over her head.
She looked up at him and smiled. “Aren’t you getting wet?”
“Yeah, but it don’t bother me none.”
“Thanks.”
“For what?”
“The umbrella.”
“No prob. Anything for you.”
“Beelzemon, you’re the best.”
He blushed slightly. “Yeah, I am sometimes.” he said casually, trying to hide his embarrassment.
After they got to her house, Beelzemon was thoroughly soaked. Valeri helped him to dry off and to dry off his jacket.
Just as he was putting it on, there was a loud crash from the living room and a black blur came streaking into the kitchen and up Beelzemon’s leg.
“Yeow! What the heck is that?” he asked, pointing to the kitten clinging to his hip.
“Shadow! You naughty kitty, what did you do this time?” Valeri scolded Shadow as she gently tried to pry the kitten off.
Shadow just dug his claws deeper into Beelzemon’s hip. Beelzemon yelped in pain and grabbed Shadow by the scruff of the neck and tried to pull him off, but stopped when it started to hurt worse.
“I’m sorry Beelzemon. I’ll have him off in a minute.”
Just then, the telephone started ringing. Valeri sighed and left Beelzemon trying to pull the persistent kitten off while she answered the phone. “Hello?”
“Hi hun. This is Mom.”
“Oh, hi Mom! How’s the case going?”
“Just fine. I’m coming home tomorrow. So, how’s it goin’? Haven’t burned down the house yet, I hope.”
“No. I can’t wait for you to come home.” Valeri giggled when Beelzemon sputtered out a curse word as the kitten yowled loudly.
“Damn it!”
“What was that?!”
“Just a sec.”
Valeri set down the phone and walked over to Beelzemon just as he pleaded, “Val, get this freakin’ fur ball offa me!”
Valeri cupped one hand under Shadow and used the other to carefully remove his claws. After a few seconds, she finally got the claws undone.
Beelzemon sighed in relief. “Thanks.”
Still holding Shadow, Valeri walked over and picked up the phone. “Sorry Mom. Shadow was causing trouble again.”
“Oh, Ok. Where’s your sister? I would like to talk to her.”
“She’s not” She heard the front door open. “Actually, she’s right here. Yuri! Mom’s on the phone!”
“She is? Gimme the phone!” Yuri snatched the phone from her sister’s hand.
“You’re welcome. Come on Beelzemon, let’s go to my room.”
They walked downstairs to her room and Valeri flipped on the light. Beelzemon looked around in surprise. Now this is a bedroom!
Near the back wall was her bed, covered with a sheet that had dragon designs on it and two pillows. Along the wall on the left side of the room was an ashdresser that had handdragon pictures taped to the mirror, an alarm clock on the edge nearest the bed, several dragon figurines, a book, and two red candles under the mirror. A small space on the right side of the room was occupied by an oak bookcase with almost every shelf full fantasy and animal books, except for the one in the very middle, which had a large collection of dragon figurines on it. Next to the bookcase was small table with an aquarium with a small mud colored snake lying in a deep bowl of water. There was also a TV, an Xbox, a stereo, and a CD holder on a shelf and table near the door. Next to the table was a computer desk with a lamp, laptop, and a pencil holder on it. There was also a chair. Dragon posters covered every bare spot on her walls. Beelzemon looked up and saw that the ceiling, which was midnight blue with silver clouds and glowstars, had a couple of dragon posters on it as well. Valeri’s books were strewn across the navy blue carpet.
Valeri set Shadow down and walked over to the aquarium. She lifted the lid. “Do you like snakes?”
“I don’t mind them much, why?” He watched as she took out the small snake. “Oh.”
She handed it to him and he took it rather reluctantly.
He watched as it wrapped itself around his arm. “Uh, is it supposed to do that?”
“Yeah, his name is Kazel. He’s a baby Ball Python, quite harmless.”
Beelzemon felt squeamish. He made a face and held out his arm to Valeri. “That’s nice. Now could ya put ‘im up?”
“Sure.” She uncoiled Kazel and put him back in his aquarium. Then she walked over and sat on her bed. She watched Beelzemon as he examined the pictures on her mirror.
“Didja make these yourself?”
She got up and walked over to him. “Do you like them?”
“I’ve never seen anything like ‘em before.”
“I hope not. Wouldn’t want people stealin’ my ideas.”
“Nope.”
“I’m going upstairs to make dinner and finish my chores. You can stay down here and look around if you want. Just be careful not to break anythin’.” she said as she walked upstairs.
Valeri went into the kitchen, took out a couple of frozen pizzas out of the freezer, and put them in the oven. Then she picked up the broom and started sweeping the floor.
After awhile Beelzemon walked into the kitchen and saw Valeri washing the dishes. “Need any help?”
“Not really. But if you want to, you can.”
He walked over and started rinsing the dishes and putting them in the drainer. After the dishes were finished, Valeri checked on the pizzas.
“They’ll be done soon.”
“Good, I’m starvin’.”
Yuri walked in and announced that she was going to a friend’s house. The two were too busy cleaning up the cabinets to notice her and she left in a huff. After the pizza was finished, Valeri took them out and put them on a couple of plates.
“Beelzemon, don’t eat so fast!” she scolded, for he had started cramming his face as soon as she had set the plate down in front of him.
“Shorry.” he said through a mouthful of pizza.
“Don’t talk with your mouth full either! It’s impolite.”
He swallowed his mouthful. “Yes Mother.” he said teasingly, chuckling.
Pretending to be insulted, Valeri stalked into the living room and slumped down in one of the chairs.
Beelzemon got up, went into the living room, and stood in front of her chair. “I’m sorry.”
“It’s alright, I was just kiddin’.”
He grinned sheepishly.
“Do you want to watch a movie?”
“Sure.”
While Valeri flipped through the channels, Beelzemon went and got the pizza. He came back and looked at the action movie she had picked out.
“How ‘bout this one?” Valeri asked.
“Sure.” he answered. He set the plates on the table and sat down beside her in the chair, squishing her against the side.
“What are you doin’?! There isn’t enough room for the both of us!”
“I can fix that,” He picked her up and set her on his lap. “Better?”
Valeri, completely surprised by Beelzemon’s actions, smiled shyly and blushed deeply. “Iguess. That was…unexpected.”
“That’s good. I’d hate ta be predictable.”

Even though Beelzemon usually like action movies, this one was too boring. Before the end, he had dozed off.
Valeri had been wondering why Beelzemon was so quiet, since he had been commenting on the movie for quite some time, when she heard him snoring softly and felt his head fall against her back. She smiled at his sleeping form. Must have been too boring for him. I guess it wouldn’t hurt for him to sleep here just for tonight. She got up slowly and gently shook him awake.
“Hmm? Uhm?” he mumbled sleepily, looking up at her through unfocused and halfeyes. He yawned.
“Come on, big guy. Let’s get you downstairs.”
With some difficulty, they walked downstairs. Valeri got Beelzemon settled at the end of her bed before he fell back asleep. She went upstairs and got ready for bed before going back to her room and getting into bed. She lay awake for a while staring at the ceiling and listening to Beelzemon’s gentle breathing before finally drifting off to sleep.