Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Eternal Love Blooms ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Valeri awoke twenty minutes before her alarm clock. She went upstairs and got dressed, then went back downstairs. She sat at her desk and drew, glancing at Beelzemon every now and again. Suddenly the alarm went off, causing Valeri to jump and Beelzemon to wake with a start and fall off the bed, smacking his head against the wall.
Valeri rushed over and knelt beside him. “Beelzemon, you alright?”
He sat up, rubbing his head. “Yeah, I’m fine. Not like a bump on the head is gonna kill me or nothin’.”
Valeri smiled and stood up. She collected her books and waited for Beelzemon to get up before going upstairs. She walked into the kitchen and sat down in one of the chairs.
Beelzemon walked in and sat down beside her. He folded his arms on the table and rested his chin on them, partially closing his eyes.
“Tired?”
“Just a bit.” he replied with a yawn.
“After you drop me off you can come back here to sleep.”
“But what about that group of boys?”
“It’s Ok. They won’t bother me today; they’ll be too busy tormenting someone else. Oh! Come on, it’s time to go.” She stood up and walked to the front door.
Beelzemon slowly pulled himself to his feet and followed Valeri as she walked outside. When they reached the school, Valeri had to keep convincing Beelzemon that she would be fine before he left.
Beelzemon walked back to Valeri’s house and crashed on the couch. A while later he got up and, after raiding the refrigerator, went down to Valeri’s room. He was examining one of her pictures when Shadow jumped up on the desk, upsetting the pencil holder and causing its contents to spill all over the desk. “Oh, ya stupid fur ball! Get down! NOW!”
Beelzemon chased the kitten off and started picking up the pencils when he noticed a piece of paper sitting on the desk. It was only partially drawn but he could tell it was going to be a dragon and better than the others. After examining it a little longer, he continued picking up the pencils. After he put them up, he found something to occupy himself until it was time to pick up Valeri.

Valeri was in the middle of showing Beelzemon how to make sautéed mushrooms and onions when her mother, Ms. Shinshiju, walked in.
She had long brown hair put up in a ponytail, hazel eyes, a blue business suit, and black low heels. She was also carrying a briefcase in one hand and a laptop in the other.
“Hi, Mom.”
“Hi Val how” Her voice trailed off when she saw Beelzemon. “Uh, Val? Can I talk to ya for a sec?”
“Sure.” She turned to Beelzemon. “Alright, all you have to do is cut up the onions like I showed you, when you’re done, come get me. Got it?”
“Yup.”
Valeri walked into the living room, where her mom was waiting. “What did you want to talk to me about?”
“What the hell is that thing in there?!” Ms. Shinshiju demanded, pointing in the direction of the kitchen. “And what happened to your face?”
Valeri touched one of the bruises on her face. “I got beat up at school, but that’s not the point. He’s not a thing, he’s a Digimon, and his name is Beelzemon. He’s my friend.”
“Your…friend? Val that thing”
“Beelzemon.” Valeri interjected.
“Whatever. It’s not even human!”
“So, what’s so bad about that?”
“What’s so bad?! Val, that thing’s dangerous!”
“You don’t know that!”
“The way he looks is enough to tell you that!”
“No, no it’s not. You don’t know him! You’re always tellin’ me ‘Don’t judge others by their looks’ but that’s exactly what you’re doing! Judging Beelzemon by his looks!”
Ms. Shinshiju sighed. “Val, I’m only doing what’s best for you.”
“How?! By keeping me from my friends? Every time I finally find a friend, either you say I can’t see them or Yuri steals them from me,” She paused to take a deep breath. “I’m so sick of you telling me who I can or can’t have as a friend! Mom, I love you, but stop controlling my life!”
Ms. Shinshiju stared at her daughter, dumbfounded. This was the first time Valeri had ever raised her voice to her.
They stood in silence for a few moments until Beelzemon spoke; he had apparently been listening to the two fighting. “I guess I should leave now.”
The two looked over at him in surprise.
“No, you don’t have to.” Valeri said almost pleadingly.
“I think I should, least ‘til things cool down here,” As he walked past the two, he stopped and turned to Valeri. “Don’t worry,” he said, ruffling her hair. “I’ll probably come back tamorrow.”
Valeri watched sadly as he walked out the front door and closed it behind him. She knew he was not going to come back, it always happened when somebody told her that they would.
Ms. Shinshiju could feel her heart sink as she watched Valeri. “Val, I”
“Forget about it,” Valeri said dully, walking towards the hallway. “Just leave me alone,” She stopped at the kitchen doorway. “You can finish dinner.” Then she walked downstairs, where she lay down on her bed, crying silently.
Ms. Shinshiju walked into the kitchen and dropped down in one of the chairs. She put her head in her hand and sighed.

A couple days later Valeri was mopping the kitchen floor when there came a small knock at the door.
“Coming! Who could that be?” She set aside the mop and carefully made her way across the room to the front door.
She opened the door and was greeted by the sight of Beelzemon, but something was wrong. He was leaning against the doorframe, panting for breath, and one of his hands were covering his chest where Valeri noticed the material was ripped to shreds and blood was seeping through. The acrid smell of burned leather and flesh filled the air. Blood trickled down his chin and there was a bruise on his left cheek.
“Beelzemon, what happened?!” She caught him as he crumpled to the ground.
“Got…ambushed…ohhh….” He collapsed against her, causing Valeri to stagger under the sudden weight. He put his arm around her shoulder and leaned on her for support as she led him to the living room, but he stopped her, saying that they needed to go to her room.
“Are you sure?”
He took a deep, but painful, breath. “If I don’t now, I won’t be able to later. Besides your mom’ll be so mad if she finds me here, wounded or not.”
Progress was slow as they made their way to her room, down the stairs, and to her bed. She helped him to peel off his shirt and tuck it in his belts after he had removed his jacket, gun, arm guards, and gloves. Then she ran upstairs to get bandages. She came back down stairs with a roll of gauze, a bowl of water, and a washrag. She set everything on the dresser and, after getting the rag wet, started cleaning the blood off his chest, gingerly dabbing around his wounds, blushing lightly.
Beelzemon remained perfectly still, completely tensed up the entire time, wincing from the pain. He was blushing slightly. His blush deepened when Valeri wiped some water off that was trickling down his chest with her bare hand, causing him to tremble, his stomach to tighten, and his tail to slap the wall. He inhaled sharply.
Valeri grimaced when she saw the actual wounds. It looked liked some creature had raked him with sharp claws that were on fire, burning as they made deep gashes and cutting most of his pale flesh to ribbons. She began to slowly and gently wrap him up in the gauze, but stopped when he cried out in pain.
“Oh, I’m so sorry, Beelzemon! Are you Ok?”
“No, I’m not Ok! I spent I’ttraversing the town justa get beat up by one of the Tamers! So no, I’m not Ok. I just wanna be left alone.” He slumped back against the pillow.
“But I need to finish bandaging you up.”
“Worry ‘bout that later.”
“But”
“No!”
Persistently, Valeri started bandaging him up again. Beelzemon sat still until she accidentally put too much pressure on the deepest cut, causing him to yell in pain and anger and make Valeri jump. Unable to stop himself, he tore the gauze out of the astonished girl’s hand.
“I told ya ta leave me ALONE!” he snarled.
Tears began to form in Valeri’s eyes. She hung her head sadly. “I was only trying to help. I’m sorry; I’ll leave you alone now.”
Beelzemon silently cursed himself and grabbed Valeri’s wrist as she got up to leave. She turned and looked at him, tears trickling down her face. He pulled her down and, even though it hurt him terrible, hugged her tight.
“I’m sorry Val. I didn’t meant ta yell at ya. It’s just”
“It’s alright, Beelzemon. I understand.” She hugged him gently and pulled back.
Beelzemon wiped away her tears and let her finish bandaging him up. After she was finished, Valeri went upstairs to put up the things she had used for Beelzemon and to finish her chores. After she was done, she went back downstairs and saw Beelzemon was asleep so she sat at her desk and started finishing the picture she had been working on.
When Beelzemon awoke, he felt something heavy on his chest. He looked down to see Shadow curled up, fast asleep. He reached down to push the kitten off, but, deciding against it, rested his hand on Shadow’s side. Shadow flinched and stretched, but did not wake.
Valeri walked over and crouched down beside the bed. “How do you feel?”
“A bit better. Sore mostly.”
“That’s good. Need anything?”
“No. Not right now.” He shivered slightly.
Valeri noticed this and started looking through her dresser drawers. Beelzemon propped himself up on one elbow, causing Shadow to slide down. The sleepy kitten got up, stretched, and curled up next to Beelzemon’s thigh, resting his chin on the Digimon’s hip.
“Whatcha doin’?”
“Lookin’ for a sheet to cover you up with. Aha! Found one.” She pulled out a thin green sheet.
She started to unfold it as Beelzemon objected. “Ya really don’t haveta. I’ll be fine without it.”
She threw it over him and started straightening it out. “Is that better? Or do you want another?”
“Well…” Beelzemon halted, tapping his chin. “Not really, but I wouldn’t mind another.”
Valeri dug through her drawers and took out a thin red and black blanket. She started spreading it out over him. As she leaned over to straighten out the blanket on the other side of Beelzemon, he put his arms around her, catching her by surprise.
“Thank you.” Beelzemon said quietly.
“What for?”
“For everythin’, especially for bein’ my friend.”
Valeri blushed. “You’re welcome,” she said awkwardly. “But I should be thanking you for the same thing.”
Beelzemon let go of her and she straightened up. She walked over to her stereo, turned on the CD player, and pressed the play button. As she walked back and stood beside the bed, music poured from the speakers and quickly filled the room with the sound of “Over and Under” by Egypt Central.
“Are you hungry?”
“Umm, yeah.”
“What do ya want?”
He shrugged.
“I can bring down what were having for dinner.”
“And what would that be?”
“Pizza.”
“Hum, sounds good ta me.”
“All we have to do is wait for Mom to get back with it. How much do you want?”
“The whole thing!” He grinned.
Valeri giggled. “You can’t have the whole thing! You gotta save some for us.”
“Oh, fine.” Beelzemon said sulkily, folding his arms across his bandaged chest.
After a couple minutes, they heard Ms. Shinshiju calling for Valeri. “Val, pizza’s here!”
“Alright, I’ll be right back.” She got up and went upstairs.
She walked into the kitchen and took up the foam plate that was sitting on the table. Then she started picking up slices, two for her and four for Beelzemon. She walked downstairs and set the plate on the bed. She watched Beelzemon as he scarfed down the pizza.
Beelzemon noticed that Valeri was not eating. “Ain’t ya gonna eat?”
“Hmm? Oh, yes in a minute. I’m not hungry just yet.”
Beelzemon shrugged and continued eating. After he was done, Valeri took the plate upstairs and ate a slice before putting the other back. Then she went back downstairs.
“Hey Val? Where are ya gonna sleep tonight, ya know since occupyin’ your bed?”
Valeri tapped her chin thoughtfully. “Umm, I could sleep on the couch.”
“I guess that’ll work.”
Valeri grabbed all the things she was going to need, alarm clock, pillows, blankets, and clothes, and took them upstairs. She made up her bed and got dressed in her nightclothes. She went back downstairs, made sure Beelzemon was comfortable and told him goodnight before going back upstairs and telling her mom goodnight. Then she went into the living room and went to sleep.