Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Fated ❯ Cry ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Fated: Part Four

Cry


"--only met him recently. He seems like an okay guy, and he's not bad at playing Digimon, either. I mean-- he's knocked us all down a peg or two already!"

"Digimon, as in the card game?"

Takato broke away from his gaze at the clear blue sky. "Yeah," he answered. They had officially been 'talking' since Tuesday... the day he had actually gotten something out of the girl. It was now Friday; he could visit her longer today, too. He felt somewhat pleased, really, making friends with her and all. Well... not close friends, but still....

Throughout the week he had learned more about Rika herself. Her mother was a model... a young model. Rika was afraid that her mom was dating men behind her back.... Rika's grandma was a sweet lady who seemed to understand her granddaughter more than she let through. And as for her father... it was true. He had left them a while ago. She never told Takato much about it, though, so all he could really do was guess.

When she felt like telling him, he'd listen.

"I see.... You want to have a match?" Right then, she wondered if he even knew her nickname... you know, the 'Digimon Queen.' Possibly-- although it may have slipped past that goggle-headed brain of his. Oh well... if they did play, she'd go easy on him.... After all, he was her friend.

She... she played the card game?! "You p-play?" he stammered, surprised. He knew that he had never really mentioned it before, but.... How good could she be? For all he knew... she could be better than Henry!

"Uh-huh...." With a grunt, she stood and walked into her room. Now then... where did she put them? No, not there.... That's not them. There! She found them! Her prized box of cards. She'd have to pick out the weaker (which she had almost none of) cards.... Man-- they were a little dusty, too! How long had it been since the last tournament?!

"Do you have your--"

"Right here!" he exclaimed. She played the card game! They... they had something in common! Yelping slightly, he tripped while trying to get up; he went soaring off the porch and onto the dirt floor below. Gee... that was stupid... and clumsy.

Rika rolled her eyes. Stupid goggle-head.... "Are we going to play," she muttered, "or are you going to eat more dirt?"

Blushing deeply from embarrassment, the boy sprang up from his untimely position and zoomed into her room. In the corner of his young mind, he couldn't help but wonder... was his blush completely from feeling stupid...? Or was there something more, now...?

He nodded it off. Friends-- just friends. "Okay, Rika! Let's battle!"

~*~

Monday's.... How he hated Monday's.... It wasn't fair... really, it wasn't! People slept in on weekends, then had to readjust to waking up earlier for their job or school! It just wasn't fair!

With a groan, Takato forced himself into his chair. School: a hell-hole for all. Actually, that was how Rika described it. When she had made that comment, Takato's head had bobbed furiously. Oh yeah-- he agreed completely. Too bad they still had a while before summer break....

At that time, his friends had decided to appear at their desks. Kenta stretched and yawned; Kazu sneezed; Jeri giggled at the scene. If Takato were to tell them what Rika said-- that is, if they knew about her-- they, too, would have agreed. Well... he knew Kazu and Kenta would.

"Where have you been lately, Chumly?" Kazu whined. He missed having another butt to kick in Digimon-- especially when Henry usually wiped him out most of the time!

Takato felt himself sweat lightly. Should he tell them...? "Well, ya know.... With my parents owning a bakery and all, they DO need help... at times." Of course... a fifth grader working with dough. How believable was that?

Jeri stared at her friend for a moment. He was lying-- she knew it. He wasn't looking anyone in the eye. And it wasn't like he could hide it all that well.... She giggled. "I believe you, Takato!" Oh well... he had his reasons. He didn't have to tell anyone right now if he didn't want to!

"Err... yeah...," he mumbled, feeling a blush awaken. Slowly-- very, very slowly-- he was getting over Jeri. All he felt now was a really close friendship... although a small piece of that crush still crawled around inside of him. It's like when you're sick, really. You have those bacteria and germs in your body from the illness; when you get better, the dead parts just sorta float around inside of you still. That's how you keep from getting stuff like chickenpox again....

Kenta, who had been cleaning his glasses, finally looked out at the scene. His head slumped slightly. In school or out of school-- it didn't matter. Takato liked Jeri! At least... he thought; Takato had been acting less nervous around her nowadays... almost like a brother to a sister.... Then again, life was confusing... half of the time he didn't even understand his own! "Hey, guys? Are we still going to Henry's after school today?"

"I guess. I never re--"

Chk. Chk. Chk. Chk.

"Good morning, class," Ms. Isaji greeted. Not very good for her, though.... She hadn't been able to sleep last night-- and taking NiQuil at midnight did not help! And with her job as a teacher.... "Please pull out last night's homework on...."

~*~

"You lose."

Rika smirked as she set her card out. He had no chance. Ahh... the pure joy she felt while playing.... "Care for another round?"

"Naw.... We've played five times already," Takato said. Yeah... and he'd lost all five times! Rika was good-- no, she was great! Not only that... but she was offering to teach him some things as well! It made him feel good... and he didn't know why.

Rika sighed. No more? Darn... just when she was getting into the game. He'd probably want to talk now.... After all, it was Monday; he would talk about his 'venture back to school.' Her ears would awaken and capture all that he said. Rarely would she talk, but to them... that was okay. It wasn't like she had to, or anything.

"Rika...?" The redhead turned to face the goggle-boy. "I was just wondering...," he whispered, soft eyes falling onto a wilting flower. "Why?"

"Why, what?" A tingle of nervousness arose within her. What was he talking about?! Her thoughts spun out of control as she waited for his answer.

Such harshness.... Takato smiled faintly; his head turned to face her. "Why," he mumbled, "do you like Digimon so much?"

What?! What was he talking about...? Hadn't he brought back enough bad memories? Enough pain? What made him want to hear her stories? He had no right! She... she wasn't going to let the past haunt her anymore! She spun away and spat: "I just do!"

He didn't believe her for a minuet... but went no further. Instead, he explained to her the reasons he liked the card game. His words trailed from his mouth as though he did not need to think of them; his round eyes were transfixed on an ant tugging a leaf almost ten times its size. He always did love nature... that's why he went to the park almost every day.

Rika snorted lightly as she began to collect her cards; she put her back to him. That was right-- he had no right to know! How dare he try to pry into her past! It was for only her to know! And now, as she tried to push her pride to the max... her mask shattered. The memories of playing Digimon with her father came back....

~Years before~

"Daddy! Look-- it's the newest edition!"

The man looked over to where his daughter's hand pointed. He smiled. "I see... and I suppose you want one?"

The girl shook her head and pouted; her violet eyes shimmered sadly. "No! Mama said 'no more cards!'"

The father chuckled. Bending down to his daughter's level, he whispered, "Well... Mama doesn't need to know, does she?" When she looked unsure, he went on: "Rika, honey. Mama was mad at Daddy... not at you or the card game.... I'm sure she'd let you have some new ones!"

Rika's eyes glittered. "Really?" A new pack of cards-- just for her!

"Yeah...."

~Present time~

Oh... God! She didn't want to remember anymore! It hurt her enough that her parents fought over what she did when she was little, but... when he left after that one argument.... Did he love her anymore...?

No! She had to stop! Ever since she'd met Goggle-head she'd been feeling so... so emotional! What was it about that boy? How could he bring her wall down so easily? Why did he--

Stop it! 'I'm tuning into an emotional wreck!' she raged within her head as she felt something warm on her face. It slowly trickled down to her chin... and dripped off. Ooh... GOD! She was crying! But she... had not really cried since....

Takato, who had been rambling on for quite some time, turned to his newfound friend... and gasped. Her shoulders shook slightly as sniffles arose from her body. Was she... crying? Really, really crying? What was wrong?

"Rika...?"

His voice startled her. That's right... she wasn't alone right now. Taking in a deep breath, Rika brought an arm to her face and wiped. No need for emotions... for they only led to pain. "I'm fine," she grumbled. Darn him and his words....

'Liar...,' he thought. Even now... she felt like shedding a few tears, eh? Why not help her? Be her shoulder to cry on? With those thoughts at hand, he moved to the other side of her. If only he could look at her....

Pain... how she wanted it to burn in the fires of hell.... It always seemed to follow her... torment her... tease her.... That was why she tried to remain void of all emotions. They hurt. A noise came from right in front of her, and she snapped her head up.

The goggle-brain had moved.... Oh well-- she could always turn away or go to her room... yet she didn't. His eyes bore right into her own... and attempted to reach her soul. What... did he want...? Did he want her to...? No! She couldn't... she....

"What?" Rika asked, fear not completely hidden. She was still weak from her memories....

"Will you... tell me? I want to know... your pain...," he whispered. All he wanted to do was hear her stories... and cry along with her.

'Don't tell him,' she threatened herself. She couldn't tell him.... She couldn't just break down in front of him! He would probably think her weak, then! But... why should she care what he thought...? Why...?

She couldn't hold it in anymore... it was just too much. The salty tears came and stung at her eyes; she flung her arms around his waist. It hurt... it hurt so much. When? When would the pain end? When would she be able to live happily?

Takato felt a smile spread out on his lips. She was letting it all out. He wasn't sure if she'd cry the whole time or what, but it didn't really matter. He didn't need to know what was hurting her if it left a wound that big. All she needed right now was to cry... and he'd let her.

After about an hour of Rika's sobs and Takato's quiet talking... Rika fell asleep. Takato waited until he was completely sure, then gently scooped her into his arms. "All that crying must've worn her out...," he muttered to no one. With a chuckle, he walked into her room.

By now, he knew that she slept on the floor; he also knew exactly where she kept her blankets and pillows. Setting the sleeping girl down on the ground, he made his way to them. She needed to sleep now... and hopefully not think of what had hurt her. Carefully, he placed the sheets over her and her pillow under her head. With great precision, he took out her hair ribbon; he didn't bother to fix her hair, though....

She looked so gentle when she slept... something that wasn't with her when she was awake. Takato brushed the bangs away... and tenderly kissed her forehead. Realizing what he'd done, he pulled away. What?! Where had that come from? Why on Earth would he...? He sighed. Who knew? Something was happening... and he wasn't sure what.

As he left, he looked up to the sky. The stars were out and twinkling already.... Great. It was getting late, and he had school tomorrow.... Maybe he'd be sick....

~*~

"Look-- we've studied almost half of the population already! Are you sure--"

The man turned, strode up to Mr. Wong and rose a fist. "Our dreamer's out there. If you do not believe me, perhaps I should...."

That didn't sound too inviting.... "Never mind," the blue-haired Mr. Wong muttered, sitting back down. He'd play along with him for now... but he swore that he'd get back to his family as soon as possible.

"Ahh... we are nearing completion. The DM program is nearly finished, right?"

"Yes, sir."

"Perfect.... Soon every single child's dream will awaken...." He turned and looked out at the sparkling lights of Japan. "Once we have the dreamer... everything will run smoothly."

~*~

A/N: Sorry for being to late, mina-chan! It's the end of the third nine weeks, and I have reports and stuff due. How did you like, eh? Too sappy? Not sappy enough? Crappily written? Oh well.... Hey! Did anyone else notice the Rukato in this week's episode? WHOO! Is it just me, or did Rika BLUSH? *heh* I loved the part where she yelled at him about the heart. BTW, my little sister Squirtle Girl will be joining ff.net soon (I dunno when), so please check her out!

Now then... I'd like to talk about something more serious.... I now know what it feels like to have someone 'use' your work. I am not going to say who, but I will tell you how I stumbled upon it. I had been off the net for a while, so I decided-- hell-- I'd check out the Digimon section of ff.net. All seemed fine, and I finally reached page four or five when I read a description that caught my eye. It sounded Rukato-ish, so I said, "What the heck?" and clicked on it. I was greeted with the title (Our Parting Ways) and.... "Hey all you listeners out there! I hope you're stayin' warm and warm in your home-- or wherever else you may be." To say the least... I was furious. It was MY "One Moment Too Late!" I immediately sent a note to ff.net telling them of the fraud. Of course... even though the story is gone, it still doesn't make me feel better.... I really, really, REALLY cannot stand a person who won't do their own work.... It peeves me big time....

I think I'd better stop here! I'm still boiling, so *heh* I think I'd better just leave you to read the preview! Here ya go:

Fated: Part Five

Free

Man... he had a nice apartment. Big enough for the whole family.... Well... yeah. Henry had a slightly bigger family, anyway, so....

Takato, Kazu, Kenta and Jeri were piled up on Henry's bed. Luckily for him, Henry was able to sit at his computer; after all... he was the only computer literate kid there.... As he explained the rules of the game and how to play, he thought of his father. He still hadn't come home.... Really, it was starting to worry him.

"Henry-- what's wrong?" questioned Takato. "You look... distant." He had something on his mind, didn't he? But... what?

Henry shook his head quickly and smiled. He zoned out.... That was happening more often now, too.... Was it because his dad was gone? Was it because...?

This time, Kazu waved a hand in front of the blue-haired boy's face. "Hel-lo?" Ooh... boy. He was out of it! Maybe he was sick... no! He wanted to play some games today! He didn't want to go home and be bored out of his wits! He wanted challenge! He wanted--

"I'm fine, everyone...," Henry reassured them quietly. No time for worries.... He would ask again about his dad later. "Now then, who's in for a game against me?"