Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Fated ❯ What's Going On? ( Chapter 12 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Fated: Part Twelve

What's Going On?


This... wasn't happening! Takato jammed his eyes shut and took a deep breath. Okay-- this had to be one of those weird dreams where you're falling... right? So, if he were to open he eyes at that very moment, he'd be somewhere other than in the air with the ground still a long way down.... At least... that's what he hoped.... Now or nothin'! He decided to take that chance... and flung open his eyes. "Oh... God," he muttered. Apparently... he wasn't dreaming, eh?

She could barely see anything! That's what she got for wearing her hair down; the wind could easily send it twirling about her face! It was beginning to drive her crazy! Still... she knew exactly what was going on. The thing was... she felt almost, well... giddy. Yes-- it would be understandable to be terrified, but.... I mean-- come on! Death was heading straight toward them with its formidable weapon held high! Why wouldn't one be at least a LITTLE scared?!

Something suddenly... wrapped around her waist. What... was going on? "Goggle-head...?"

"I'm not letting go of you," he whispered, pulling her as close as he possibly could. If he did... they might get separated during the fall.... Oh, Lord... they were gonna die... weren't they? It... it didn't feel right.... As an idea came into his head, he slowly turned in the air. Soon enough, he had his back facing the incoming concrete, while Rika was above him. This... should help a little....

Rika gasped angrily. What was he doing?! Was he truly that stubborn? "Why are you...?" She stopped... as his fingers brushed against her lips. What in the world...?

Smiling, Takato mumbled, "You'll need... something to land on...." Yeah... who cared if he died? As long as she lived... he'd be happy. He watched her lavender eyes widen in alarm, and she opened her mouth to protest--

WHAM!!

They landed on something! It... was flying...? But right now... Takato didn't care. His back hurt a LOT. Groaning, he tried to stretch... then noticed that Rika was sorta lying on top of him still.... Eheh... okay, so this made the poor boy blush-- just a little, mind you!

Man... what a fall.... The redhead let out a slight moan as she pushed herself up. At least... they didn't hit the ground.... Wait a second-- she nearly forgot about Takato! Looking down... she felt something hot crawl onto her cheeks. Oh... God, she... she was...! For a moment, neither said a word; they just stared into each other's eyes, not sure on what to do. Finally, Rika practically sprung off the boy and turned her attention elsewhere. It... confused her. The feeling that was overwhelming her mind... was getting so much stronger now.... What was it...?

Gee... did she like being close to him THAT much...? Maybe... she was embarrassed-- that was it. I mean... she wouldn't worry about him one moment and hate him the next... would she? Tossing that simple-minded thought aside, he pushed himself up shakily. Right now... he had some more important things to think about. Yeah... like: what the heck happened within this last hour or two?!

"Do... you know what we're on...?" Rika asked softly, eyes large and dangerously excited. She had never in her life dreamed of experiencing what was now taking place! The most she'd ever seen was... on the television series....

Takato took his gaze off the girl he loved... to look out before them. Oh, my Lord.... Was it...? It HAD to be...! But... how in the world...? Then again... it didn't matter. All he knew... was that it WAS real, and it had (although the creature probably didn't realize it) saved their lives. As his facial expressions turned very similar to Rika's, he rasped:

"MegaKabuterimon...!"

~*~

"I can't believe this!" Kazu yelped, taking a step back as a large group of Pagumon hopped past, chanting something that only they seemed to understand. Sure... he liked the idea that digimon were real, but... well-- he just didn't get it! It made his head hurt just attempting to ponder the reasons! "How did this... happen?"

Shrugging, Kenta gazed in awe as a Angemon flew overhead. It... was SO cool! To him, it didn't really matter how it happened! He just hoped that it wasn't some sort of dream where you woke up at the best part.... Trust me-- this had to be it!

Kazu had a good question.... How DID it happen...? How could digimon suddenly become... real? Henry sighed inwardly and shook his head. "I... I don't know," he muttered. He felt Jeri place her hand on his shoulder; it comforted him... but only a little.

"Maybe... it has something to do with Takato?" Jeri offered, although even she knew that it couldn't possibly be true.... Then again, you never knew... did you?

Kazu, joining the conversation once more, replied: "I doubt it-- Chumly never really had a knack for these kind of things." Nope... never did. If anyone were to be held responsible, it would be.... Hmm... he didn't know! Couldn't be him, 'cause he didn't do anything to begin with, so....

It... couldn't be.... Could it...? The blue haired boy crossed his arms roughly and started walking toward the place... where he had seen that strange light just a little bit ago. Perhaps.... "Guys," he said, still unsure, "I'm... I think my dad might have something to do with all this.... He's been missing for a while now, and we all know that he IS partially responsible for the digimon games...."

No...! He was going to hurt himself talking about it again! She ran up with a saddened look on her face. As she approached, though... he gently shook his head. He... he didn't want her to...? Jeri smiled. She was okay with that. That's what she liked about him, anyway.... When he seemed down... he still had enough strength left to do what hurt....

And so, as they walked on... Henry told his story, his idea... and his plan. No one noticed the large, lingering shadow trailing behind them....

~*~

"Here-- let me catch you!"

"Yeah... right. If anything, you'll miss!"

Takato stomped his foot impatiently, getting just a LITTLE perturbed at Rika's attitude. Really, now! If she thought that he was gonna let her fall to her death...! "Hurry up before it decides to fly away!"

Like it was gonna fly away so soon.... The MegaKabuterimon had gotten tired during its flight and landed right in the middle of a bridge! It was a good thing, too, because they weren't very far from their homes! And now... she had to trust Goggle-head.... Snorting and muttering something under her breath, she leapt. She'd kill him if he missed!

With a light "oof!" he caught the girl. The boy chuckled lightly. "See? I didn't miss!" Ahh... to prove her wrong-- and see her blush in embarrassment-- really made his day.... Yeah... okay, that was a little rude.... Oh, well.... Besides... he was holding her again. That... that was the best part.

"Good for you," she grumbled. Within that second, she had broken free of his grip; she walked a few steps away. Inside... she mentally kicked herself. God... why was she being so harsh to him lately...? Was... it because of what her father did? Perhaps... since she knew he was okay, she didn't feel the need to express herself like before.... Oh-- she didn't know! Mumbled she:

"Now what...?"

Huh? He... he didn't know. What were they supposed to do? They didn't really have anything important... did they? He didn't think so.... Wait. He still needed to know something.... "Rika...? What exactly... did your father do to me...?"

What?! He... he was asking her NOW? But... she didn't... she couldn't.... "What he told me... might not sound too thrilling...," she whispered. Oh... it was going to be painful to talk about that.... With a sniffle, she brought her hands up... and wrapped them around herself. "... but if you really want to know...."

~Flashback....~

"...and as for your friend... he has been hooked up to the main computer."

Rika stared at him disbelievingly. How could he...? "How?" she spat, no longer understanding the words coming from her father's mouth. "I don't remember seeing any wires or attachments!"

A laugh escaped his lips. "Don't be silly, Rika! We don't... want to harm our dreamer. He needs to be at full strength in order for it to work correctly. What we did was merely set our computers to read his dream waves." Smiling smugly, Mr. Nonaka turned his attention to the window. "The only thing we actually did to him... was add the DM program."

What the...? DM program...? And what did he mean 'full strength?' Was... something bad going to happen to him...? "Explain...," she rasped out. She had to know.... If she wasn't able to comprehend what was going on... Takato could die.

"Well... first off, the DM program is a simple little idea created originally by a man named Yamaki. Of course... he did not understand it fully, and soon gave it up. What it is made to do... is give the dreamer information on digimon; it also prepares the dreamer for the DS-- Dream Sequence.

"As he sleeps... the program takes over and creates exactly what is needed... which, in our case, is the digimon. But, the downside to all of this... is that it uses the life energy of the dreamer.... Since this is the first time we've attempted to do such a thing... we are not sure if the boy will survive."

Rika let a growl escape her throat. So... they were running blindly through the woods...? "You're... willing to risk the life of another... for this...?" She... she couldn't believe it.... Her father... was.... How could he...?

The man turned and looked at the redhead once more. Quietly... he replied, "Yes."

~End Flashback....~

Then... he never cared...? He actually planned on using him...? Takato averted his eyes from Rika's. No... he didn't want her to see him cry. She would probably just think him weak, then... although he often cried over the stupidest things.... But... it hurt so much.... Why... did it have to be him?

That was why she didn't want to tell him! He... he only felt the pain from it. And, for some odd reason... his pain, was her pain.... Whenever he was unhappy... she was the same way. She didn't understand it... but right now, she didn't care. Her goggle-head needed comfort.... Without making a sound... she moved over toward him. Careful not to surprise the boy, she wrapped her arms around him and pulled him into a gentle embrace. He... he had to know that he wasn't alone in the world. There were others... just like him. He had to realize... that there were people who cared for him as well....

People like her.

~*~

"Why can't I have the teddy?!"

"Because Mommy gave it to me, so nah!!"

Two children stared each other down... eyes flickering with small, yet strong fires. In between them sat a brown stuffed bear.... As you could guess, the children were about to fight over it.... Who won, however... would be determined by whom soever was more powerful....

And, being siblings, there was more of a chance at them being equals than anything....

The girl took a step forward, letting out a light growl. It wasn't fair! She deserved the toy-- not Mako! Definitely not him! "Well," she snipped, "you can't have it!"

That wasn't fair! "Mommy said--" he stopped and stared out the window. What... what was that...? Pointing, he stated, "Look, Ai! Is that...?"

What was he trying to do-- trick her? Like she'd fall for it! The girl started to reach down for her prize... then stopped. But... his face was so sincere.... Maybe he wasn't lying.... Ai carefully followed her brother's wondered gaze. She gasped.

There... sitting outside their window, sat the strangest creature they'd ever seen! It was completely purple, except for the white around its face and belly... and had the largest pair of green eyes....

Ai took a small step forward, trying to get a closer look at it. It... it was actually kind of cute, ya know? The creature jumped slightly; it looked... nervous. Like it wasn't sure WHAT to think of them.... "It's okay...," she cooed, holding her hands out to show that she wouldn't hurt it.

Mako tugged on his sisters shirt. "Do... do you know what it is...?" When she shook her head, he felt a twinge of uneasiness flood throughout his body. What... what if it was something that would eat them? It was small now, but things grew! It could come in and sprout wings and scary claws and.... The child shuddered.

How to get it near them...? Ah! She ran out of the room for a moment (leaving poor Mako to shiver as the creature intensely watched on) and came back in with something red in her small hands. What was it? Why... a shiny, red apple! The creature's face light up slightly, and moved its mouth as if it were... saying things. Nah... animals can't speak!

"Sis... it looks hungry! Maybe we should...." Suddenly... Ai walked over and pushed a chair under the window. What the heck...? What was she up to? No... no way! She was gonna...? "Don't, Ai!" he scolded; remembering what their mother often did, he shook his finger at her. "We aren't allowed animals, anyway!"

So...? They could always hide it! She stuck her tongue at him... and opened the only thing keeping the creature OUT. As it bounded in... she felt herself giggle lightly. It WAS cute! And that's when it happened.

"It's about time, kiddos! You took long enough!" With a quick glance, the green-eyed creature turned to the girl; her brother was already prepared to bolt out of the room for help-- if need be, at least. Forcing its face into a smile (which seemed as though it were awfully hard), it asked, "So... how's about that apple, now?"

~*~

She was gonna be fine! There... there weren't any scary monsters lurking around-- at least... she hoped. Susie glanced both ways, then hurriedly crossed the street. Remember! Her mommy always told her that cars could come at any second! It would hurt REALLY bad if one did, too!

"Where... is Terwiermon...?" she asked aloud, clutching her coat as she jogged about. Once she had seen the small creature fall by her apartment window... the child had quickly run from the house! It was... a search party! She just HAD to find Princess Pretty Pants!

"Bo!"

Susie screamed as loudly as she could! What was out there with her?! It... it sounded scary! But... she was a brave girl-- she could deal with whatever it was! Weakly opening her eyes, she rolled them both ways... still too afraid to move. If it were a dog... she had to stay as still as possible. Well... that was what her mommy told her, anyway....

Suddenly... something bumped up against her! The girl shivered and closed her eyes tightly; she didn't want to see whatever it was!

"Bo-ta!"

Huh...? It... wasn't hurting her! In fact... it kinda tickled! Giggling, the child peered down... to see a small, black blob with huge yellow eyes! What... was it? Although she was still slightly scared... curiosity got the better of her. She reached out to grasp the strange creature... and gasped as it slipped away!

Amused, she hollered, "Come back, bwacky-thing!" When it bounced off, she huffed to herself. That wasn't fair! When someone asked HER to do something, she did it! Why wouldn't that black thing listen to her? Still somewhat miffed, she skipped after it... not noticing that she was slowly making her way even further from her home....

The worst part of all... was that she didn't know her way back.

~*~

Rika stopped and pointed just in front of them. "There-- the building!" They... were making good time, really. Sure, they still had a while before morning, but.... She felt Takato walk up beside her; his arm bumped her own. Why... was he so close...? Soon enough, she was as red as her hair!

"Great...." The brown haired boy glanced over to his friend. Man... she looked so... so distant. Was it... because of where they were...? He smiled sadly and reached for her hand; holding it gently, he gave it a squeeze. "You...," he asked in a whisper, "okay...?"

Was he... trying to comfort her...? But... she didn't need it.... Or... did she? Maybe so.... Accepting his kind offer, she let a reassuring laugh bubble up. "I'm fine...," she muttered. 'As long as you're with me...,' she wanted to add... but didn't. Then again... why didn't she? Weren't they best friends? She was allowed to worry about him-- she was allowed to care! So... why couldn't she tell him that simple little thing?

She was acting... differently. He wasn't sure how... but he was almost positive something was wrong. Takato sighed. Whatever it was... he'd find out later.... Plus, he still had something to tell her.... The hard part was... finding the right time. After all-- he didn't want to screw up!

But... what if she didn't feel the same way...? What if... he ruined their friendship...? Oh, God.... NOW he had to have such disturbing thoughts! And yet... they were right. He could lose her by saying those three, little words.... Why... didn't he realize that before? He... didn't want to lose her! Even if... he had to keep that information inside him FOREVER-- it didn't matter. Perhaps... that would be best.

Why was life so... so cruel?

What was wrong with him...? He was squeezing her hand tighter... and he seemed so far away.... "Hey... hey-- Goggle-head...?" Rika slowly moved in front of him. He had to snap out of it! Cautiously... she waved her hand over his eyes and demanded, "Wake up!"

Wha... what...? The boy finally realized that, well... he wasn't exactly paying attention! Geeze! He felt like whacking himself! Rika probably thought he was stupid, now! That's when he noticed... heh... she was right there-- in front of him! Oh, Lord... he was blushing big time, wasn't he? Oh... oh, what to do? What to do...? In the end, he chuckled. "Sorry.... I guess I shouldn't zone out, eh...?"

"It's... okay," whispered she... suddenly feeling the urge to.... What was this...? Why did she want to...? For some reason, she couldn't move.... Instead, she felt her hand reach up... and brush away some of the hair from his face. God... she... but she couldn't.... Was she... going to do what she thought...?

What... was going on...? Why was she...? Takato seemed to glow like a fire as she touched his face! Right now... he was so confused. Did she...? But... if she didn't... he could lose her.... No... he couldn't do this now.... Lowering his head, he opened his mouth and--

Fire suddenly erupted from all around them! Flinging themselves apart, they were able to get away from the attack! Takato rolled onto his stomach, jumped to his feet and... practically came face-to-face with Meramon! The kid yelped loudly and sprang back, confused slightly. Rika jogged up and joined her friend right afterwards.

"The creator.... He is here...," the fire digimon growled, eyes burning deep holes into the children. Then... he pointed a long, burning finger toward a certain brown haired boy. "Are you... the creator...?

What?! What the heck was it talking about?! The creator? He instantly remembered what Rika's dad had told him.... 'Although it was my programing and plan... you, with your strong imagination, were the one to actually decide what digimon would appear... and what ones would not.' That was right.... If it was true, then... he WAS the person this creature was looking for! He glanced back at the redhead, face grim and frightened. But... what did it want with him...?

No... no-- he couldn't! "I won't let you take him, you jerk!" she cried, running around Takato... planning to place herself in-between the two. She wasn't going to let someone take him away again! She... didn't want to lose him....

"Rika...." Let's face it.... She surprised him more and more every second! Still... he didn't want her to die for him! He broke from his confounded gaze and screamed, "I AM the creator!" If that Meramon just wanted him... then Rika would be safe. All he wondered now, was... what did it want with him...?

"IDIOT!" Rika raged as the digimon jumped over both of them! It landed gracefully... and took a step toward Takato. Why... why did he do that? What made him so stupid?! Just as she was about to slap him across the face....

SHK-BOOM!!

The Meramon was sent flying off to the side! Whatever attacked it was pretty strong! The two children trailed their eyes in the opposite direction... and gasped in awe. Wow... how cool was that...?

Before them stood....

~*~

A/N: MWUAHAHA!!! Yet ANOTHER cliffhanger! Don't you just LOVE me? I'm sorry for such the long wait, though.... Read my info-- you'll learn a lot there. As for my recent disappearance... my computer is very naughty.... Heh. That's all I gotta say 'bout that. I still need some help with digimon and attacks-- please, if you can, send me some! I only have a few cards and the help of my VERY spread out episodes (don't even ask...). Also, congrats to sugah high, my 50th reviewer! Yeah, yeah... I know I said I'd give the 50th reviewer a part in the next chapter, but.... Well, I've barely been on the net! So sue me! (Not really, I'm broke!) I promise to e-mail you soon, if you're reading this now. I PROMISE-- hear me?!

Anyone else sorta pumped for the last two episodes of Tamers...? I know I am! *SNIFFLE* I am gonna miss everyone.... Takato, Ruki, Lee, Juri, Hirokazu, Kenta, Ryou, Makoto, Ai and all their partners as well!!! I can't believe it's ending so soon! Heh... my sister thinks I'm gonna crack once I see it for real.... In fact, she's got plans to invite a friend of hers down that Saturday. She wants them to see me go insane.... Good Lord... am I THAT addicted?! Still... I have a very bad feeling. About what, you ask? Why... ad-libs, of course! I think we ALL know how those can hurt us, eh...? Anyway... I have been TRYING to download the Japanese version... but I don't think I can get it done in time.... I've barely finished up to the theme song, so.... Darnit.... Well, I had better get going! Enjoy the preview, mina-chan! Ja!- Angel-Chan


Fated: Part Thirteen

Explanations

"Let's go!"

Takato watched longingly as the girl he loved ran off with her new digimon friend by her side. It was so... scary, ya know...? I mean-- he knew that Renamon would protect her and all, but.... Well... he just wished he could be there with her....

"Takatomon...?" Guilmon sniffed his friend with curiosity. What was wrong with him...? Was he hungry or tired or something...? Maybe....

Huh...? Glancing down at the red, virus-type digimon, the boy chuckled. Poor thing...! He must've confused him pretty good! "I'm okay, pal...," he assured the dinosaur. But now... they had to find everyone else.... As far as he knew... they were still looking for him. If so, then they could be in a load of trouble!

He patted Guilmon on the back of the head gently; tilting his head in the opposite direction of where Rika and Renamon went, he said, "Ready to do a search, boy?!"

Yelping happily in response, the creature jogged off. Takato fell in behind his newfound friend, laughing and generally having some fun! This... was actually not that bad! And he had someone who would protect his butt as well!

At times... life was great!