Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Fighter ❯ Chapter two ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Fighter

By Marie Darkholme

Second Chapter

Sora lied on her bed. Though her eyes were closed she was far away from sleeping. Her gloves were off and stood besides her like always. She was still dressed with her uniform but she didn't care. She turned for the thousand times to try to go to sleep, but she couldn't. the nightmares kept hunting her night after night and she couldn't forget them. No matter how time it passed, now mare how far he was the pain and fear were just too much.

She finally gave up and stared at the ceiling. Two tears rolled down her face but she quickly wiped them with the back of her hand, feeling once more the pain of the scars he had left on her. She often wondered why she had been the bad look to loose her mother and go live with a father that wished she had never born. She often wondered why she kept fighting, what made her going when she had nothing. She had absolutely nothing. She didn't like that life, guess no one would.

Maybe it had been easier if she just never had born. She stepped off the bed and went to the kitchen where the plates from dinner last night before work. She turned on the water that started filling the basin. Her eyes were almost closed as she walked in a middle sleepwalker like to the fridge and picked up a bottle of milk that she put inside a cereal cup, along with some integral cereals.

Meanwhile, the basin was already filled and as he water kept running the water started dripping off of it. "Shit!" she muttered as she ran to it and closed the faucet. She picked a cloth and started cleaning the water from the floor. Suddenly a loud sound cut the air. Sora took a little time to recognize the sound as her cell phone. She went to her uniform coat's pocket and picked the cell phone.

"Hello?!" she murmured to the other side of the line. "Sora?! Is that you? Something happened." Yamato's voice replied from the other side.

In the middle of an abandoned warehouse in the city's periphery a bunch of cops were installing police lines for murder scene. Yamato was on the phone and was gesticulating a lot. As he saw his partner's car appearing from between the crowd of curious people that had formed there, he send some cops to get her to the place.

Sora walked off her car and looked around. The place was filled with people and some journalists were already madding their ways to her. Fortunately two cops appeared and took her directly to her Yamato was. The journalists followed her, always trying to ask questions even though Sora didn't even know what had had happened. One girl with brown light hair and brown eyes was particular annoying, but she was no journalist. She was a photograph. She kept walking in front of Sora taking pictures. Sora pushed the girl and walked over the police line.

Yamato was still on the phone. She tapped him on his shoulder and he turned. He had an angry face. "Get your but over here, now" he yelled and then hang off the phone. He then walked her to the crime scene. A girl with almost black hair. She apparently wore prostitute clothes and Sora immediately recognized as their informer, Yumeko. The girl had been brutally murdered.

"Fill me in." Sora said as she looked between the proofs spread on the scene. "This is Yumeko, as you may already have noticed. We don't have much information cause Takeru is late, but she hadn't her ID with her." Sora walked around Yumeko's body and put on a pair of medical gloves taking hers but making sure Yamato or any of the people in there could see it. The cops had already marked her body line so Sora moved her to one side. She had several wounds over her entire body.

"She was strangled." Sora said pointing to some fingers' marks on Yumeko's neck. "For the bruises in her arms and her forehead I'd say she put up a fight. There are no signals of rape cause her clothes aren't torn." She continued as she pointed some details in the girl's body. Suddenly applauses were heard from behind her. Sora stood as she turned to meet a young forensic doctor with blond hair and blue ice eyes.

"You're late Takeru." Yamato replied as he greeted his younger brother. "I believe you don't even need me. Sora is proving to be a spectacular forensic doctor. I think I'll hire her to help me." Takeru said as he walked to the victim and started examining her body.

"Anything new?" Sora asked as Takeru stood up and took of his gloves. "Nah. Like I said, you'd give an excellent forensic doctor. I can only have more results after running more tests in the laboratory." He said as he walked away, but he was suddenly stopped by a young brown haired with a camera. She started taking him pictures and then headed to the victim.

Takeru grabbed her arm. "Hikari, what're you doing here?" he asked the young woman. Only then Sora recognized the girl as the photographer that had been taking her pictures before. She was about to go and put Hikari out of the crime scene when a guy appeared and grabbed her arm.

"No need for that." He said. Sora turned to meet Taichi's eyes. She immediately looked away. Taichi looked into her crimson eyes. `She has such a beautiful eyes.´ he thought. "Would you mind releasing my arm?" Sora interrupted his thoughts. Taichi snapped back to reality and released her, a little disturbed.

She immediately stepped towards the girl. "You can't be here." She authoritative said. Hikari glared at her. "I know." "She knows" She and Takeru said at the same time. Sora looked confused at both of them. "Huh, this is Hikari. My fiancée." Takeru said. Sora glared at him surprised, but then with a serious look extended her gloved hand. "Congratulations!" she coldly said. Takeru launched her a confused look as she walked away. Then he turned to Hikari who was also staring at the strange policewoman.

"Is she always like that?" she asked. Takeru took her waist in is arms. "Always." He said pulling her into a kiss. "I don't know how my brother stands her." He broke the kiss. "She seems to have some kind of trauma, isn't it?" Hikari said as she watched Sora walking around the crime scene searching for clues. Takeru pulled her into a longer kiss. "Guess so." Hikari giggled as his lips touched hers softly to then turn into a passionate kiss.

Sora walked around the place. The warehouse had white walls and none of them had blood on it. `She must have been dragged in here after she had been killed.´ she thought to herself. And in fact in the back was a door and in it a bloody handprint, but without any fingerprints of course. `The killer is smart.´ She opened the door and entered another room.

"Where is she going?" Taichi asked Yamato as he eyed Sora walking in a parallel room. He followed her as Yamato did. "I can't believe your sister actually is my brother's fiancée." Yamato replied not really knowing why he was following Taichi. "That means, you're going to be part of my family." He said. "Yeah, it sucks doesn't it?" Taichi replied as he walked into the same room as Sora.

The room had a metal table in the middle. In a counter next to it were a bunch of medical tools. Sora hadn't the sliest idea of what kind of warehouse that was but medical tools and instruments were kind of weird. The room had another door too. She opened it and discovered a bathroom, with a shower and a lavatory. She minutely inspected the bathroom and found what she was searching.

All the bathroom and room had been cleaned very recently, but she found a track of blood in the lavatory. She smiled in satisfaction. Though it wasn't for sure, she could recreate the steps of the killer. He had brought her there. That couldn't had been difficult since she was a slut. Then he brought her to that room and killed her. He took her to the body set and went back to clean everything. `But why didn't he just killed her and left her here?´ she thought.

A sound from behind her shook her out of thoughts. She looked behind and met Taichi and Yamato. "What is he doing here?" Sora asked Yamato. Taichi glared at her. `Man, she has no respect at all.´ "I'm here you know, you can talk to me." He said. Sora launched him deadly glares. Yamato watched them amused. `This is going to be fun.´ "Well, like I said to you earlier, he's going to be part of the investigation too." He said.

"We didn't have a good start." Taichi replied approaching a devilish eyeing Sora. "My name is…" but he was cut off before he had the chance to finish. "Spare me the presentation stuff." Sora coldly replied heading out the room. "I know who you are. Let's talk about work. That's why we're here for. There're blood vestiges in the lavatory so I think he brought her here. That was the easy part." She started talking like she was making a report. "He then killed her and put her on the body set. He came back to clean everything and left. The question is…" she said stopping abruptly and turning to the guys that were following her. "…why the hell he cleaned the place and moved the body?" she finished.

Yamato that was used to her logical conclusions shrank his shoulder. She was the brain and the muscles of the team. He preferred the watch part. Taichi on the other hand glared at her. `She's pretty, she's hot and she's intelligent. I think I won the lottery. To hell with Megumi.´

Sora on the other hand continued walking. "Send a team to that room and turn the place upside down. I want fingerprints, hairs anything, people. And fast."

Taichi admired her ability of leading and bossing around. He watched her as she made her way out of the warehouse and into her car, avoiding all the journalists as they tried to extract information. For between the crowd he could see his sister Hikari. He ran to her. "Hey Hikari." He called her. She turned and met him.

"Taichi…! I've told you not to come talk to me when I'm working." She said. He eyed her mischievous. "Oh, I see. So you can talk and do a lot much with Takeru but you cannot talk to me while you're working." He said. She blushed. "You took pictures to the body didn't you?" he asked. She nodded. "Yeah, but not as good as I would want, cause your friend stopped me." She replied underlining the word friend. "Why?" "I want copies of them, okay?" he said. She eyed him confused. "But didn't the police take pictures also?!" "Yeah, but their machines suck." He said and smirked. "Besides my sister takes far better pictures than some cops in retire."

Hikari blushed and hit him in the arm playfully. "Who's the girl anyway? I saw you looking at her?" she said. Taichi's time to blush. "She's Yamato's partner." He replied. "She's pretty, but I don't think she likes you or any boys in Earth." She commented. "You should have seen her look when Takeru said we were getting married. I don't know. I think she was hurt or something, like marrying was something people shouldn't do. I even though she like Takeru but he says she doesn't." she finished. Taichi took a time to eat her words. He looked away to Sora that was in the police car writing up something in a notebook. "Yeah, Yamato said she never dated since he knows her, and he knows her for five years. Guess she has some kind of trauma. He said she never lets people see her hands either." His gaze on her.

"Look, I must go. Do you wanna have dinner with us?" she asked referring to her and Takeru. Taichi shook his head. "Don't think so, but I call you if I change my mind." Then Hikari left along with the paper personal. Taichi searched for Yamato, who he find bossing around some younger cops. He smirked and approached him.

"Hey, Yama, leave the new guys alone." He playfully said. Yamato turned to him like he was very annoying. "I'm not doing anything…" he said, then put on a devilish smile. "… just teaching the art of being a good cop." "Yeah, right." Taichi replied. "Where's Sora?" Yamato asked looking around for his partner. "She's in the car writing up something." Taichi replied as his gaze turned to Sora, to meet her crimson orbs looking at him.

Acknowledging Taichi was looking at her Sora turned her eyes but not attention to the paper in front of her once more. She was writing some details for the report they had to do when they got to the police station. `Why were you staring Sora?´ she kicked herself mentally. `Is not like you never saw a good looking cop.´

Taichi and Yamato walked to the car. Sora started writing again not wanting to really talk to neither of them. Yamato walked in the passenger's seat and sat closing the door after him. Taichi approached them and knocked on Sora's window. "No more information. Fuck off." She replied thinking it was another annoying journalist trying to get information from her. Yamato laughed slightly as Taichi did outside the car. This took Sora's attention and she looked outside to see the brown chocolate eyed looking cutely at her.

She blushed slightly but noticing it, she immediately turned back to her usually cold self. "What?" she asked. Taichi smiled embarrassed and scratched the top of his hair. "Well… I kind of don't have my car with me and… could you give me a ride to the police station?" he asked. In the passenger's seat Yamato burst into laugh.

Sora launched him a deathly glare and nodded to Taichi that entered the back of the car. "How the hell you got here, without you're car anyway?" Yamato asked still laughing as Sora drove in the high way. Taichi glared at him. "In fact, your brother gave me a ride." He replied crossing his arms on his chest on the prisoner's seat. "Oh so that's why you two arrived together." Yamato concluded.

This comment made Sora curious. She knew Takeru was Yamato's brother but what the hell Taichi had to do with them both. Besides being friends of course. But even with the curiosity she was too stubborn to even think about asking their relationship.

The way to the police station was a quite one. Sora remained deep into her thoughts while Yamato and Taichi just watched how distant and cold she could be. Taichi was impressed with her, but in the deep corner of his heart he was starting to feel pity for whatever had happened to her. He wanted to talk to her and make a conversation but he didn't know how to start and he didn't felt comfortable with her.

Sora drove the car, but only her body was doing it, like always. The way was so into her mind that she didn't even needed to pay attention to it, and thought a part of her mind was concentrated on the road since there was traffic and stuff like that the other was too deep in her thoughts.

In the police station, Taichi, Yamato and Sora went inside. Sora went directly to her secretary where she started making a report. Taichi and Yamato just sat around talking in the coffee table. Minutes later, a few cops came in and went to the coffee machine.

"Hey, Yama, who's the guy with you?" One of them asked. "This is Taichi from murder's department." Yamato said turning to Taichi, but Taichi was observing Sora and didn't hear none of the guys calling his name. He watched as she wrote the paper with her gloved hands. He wondered like many other guys what did she hid under the gloves. The cop that had arrived, looked to Taichi and followed his gaze to Sora. This caused him too laugh and Taichi turned his attention to them. The elder police put on a serious look as he talked.

"Don't look at her like that. She can feel it and then you're can consider yourself as a death man." He said and took a gulp of his coffee. "She might be pretty and intelligent but she it's only appearance. That girl is colder than ice. Her heart is made of stone and her eyes are the only thing that denies her coldness." He said. The cops got quite for instants. Taichi could figure that many of them had felt more than sympathy for her, but he could also see how their hearts were broken. She had broken them. `What makes you think you'll be different?´ he asked himself as he gazed into her apparently fragile figure.

It was then that something happened that got his attention. She rose her head from the paper but still not high enough for someone look into her eyed and rushed the back of her hand on her cheek. Taichi watched amazed and silently as he saw what appears to be Sora wiping a tear from her face. `Maybe she's not so stone hearted as they think.´ he thought.

He looked into the guys talking about some cases that they had had about murders. He took this moment to walk silently to Sora. He came from her front so she could see him and not being caught by surprise, though it was hard to catch Sora by surprise. He approached her busy desk and coughed.

Acknowledging the presence of someone, Sora immediately put back her cold and tough stare. She rose her head as she heard the person cough and put it back down writing again as she saw Taichi stand there. "What do you want?" she asked. Taichi ignored her cold voice. "Are you okay?" he asked. She stared at him like he was crazy or something. "Of course, why shouldn't I be?" she replied. Taichi sighed. It was going to be hard to break the ice between them both.

"I kind of saw you crying." He replied not really knowing how to say it. Sora turned her attention to the report again. "You must have seen it wrong." She said. Taichi put his hands over the table and ducked so he was at the same level as she was. He looked into her face trying to see her eyes but he couldn't. He gazed into her face. Her pale face with rose cheeks and her honey hair falling in strikes that seemed so soft and warm. He felt like to catch a lost strike of her hair that fell to her face.

"Why are you so mean to me? I never did anything to you." He said. She looked into his eyes. He looked into her crimson ones as hate filled them. "You're right. You didn't, but you guys are all the same." She said and stood up with the report on her hand. Taichi managed to grab her wrist. "Let me go." She said not turning to him. Taichi sighed and let go her wrist. He watched her as she walked into the chief's office with the report on her hand. He muttered in the meaning of those words and cursed himself. `Stupid Taichi. Why do you always have to fall for the hard ones?´

Sora walked into Jyou's office. Jyou was like always sitting on his chair with piles of papers around him. She handed him the report and prepared to leave but he called her back. "Mimi told me you were there, but she also told me that you still didn't tell her anything that can help her with your problem." Jyou said. Sora sighed. "I don't have a problem, okay?" she muttered. "Yes you have and you need help. Is it so hard to understand Sora?" "Yes, it is." "As you don't seem to be cooperating, I think I'm going to suspend you. I want a positive report from Mimi and as I don't have it, you're going to be suspended. Ishida will take over the case and Yagami will help him. You're out." "What?" Sora yelled. "You can't do this? I've worked to hard to see my work being ruined by a guy that thinks himself as the centre of the universe!" "I'm sorry but that's how is going to be." Jyou said and sat back on his chair. Sora eyed him.

She wanted to kick him so hard, to torture him to kill him. She turned to the door and slammed it closed. Outside, a bunch of cops, including Taichi and Yamato were staring. She by passed them all. Her fists contracted so hard that she could break her own bones with the strength she was making.

"Sor, what happened?" Yamato asked as he saw his pissed off friend walking pass him. Sora didn't reply and continued her way outside. She went down the stairs and started punching the wall. `Mother fucker. He can't do this to me. He just can't. I need to work. It's only thing that doesn't make me think about them.´ she thought as she continued punching the wall. He fists, though protected by the gloves, were already bleeding and the blood soaked the gloves and started dripping out.

Yamato rushed off the building, followed closely by Taichi to find his friend punching the wall. "Sora stop that." He demanded. But she didn't stop. He knew she wouldn't stop until she couldn't bare the pain anymore or she calmed down. Taichi watched as Yamato stood there helpless. "Stop, damn it!" Taichi shouted and walked towards her. He grabbed her by her waist. "Let me go!" she yelled enraged. "Asshole, leave me alone."

Taichi kept her held firmly in her waist and tried to catch her hands, but she was fighting too hard and he couldn't do it. He then lost his balance and felt to the ground. This caused Sora to fight against his grip even more. He put his arms around her chest trapping her arms and his legs over hers trapping them as well. Sora wanted to cry but she couldn't not in front of them. Memories of pain assaulted her mind.

----Flashback----

She was trapped. No place to run. Between her and him there was nothing. She was between the sword and the wall and she didn't have way to run. He approached her as he smirked. She feared his actions. Not him, not her boyfriend. He wouldn't do such thing, but he was doing it. She couldn't believe that her life could be even more miserable than already was.

She just wanted someone to care for her, to love her, but guess that was just too much. She was condemned to live a hard life and harder than that she was condemned to live it alone. There was no place to run and sometimes she just wished she had never had to wake up. Cause in dreams where the only place where she could be happy. But dreams don't last forever and we always have to wake up. `I just wished I never had to wake up.´

The guy came near and she started punching him, but she was definitely no match for him and he easily controlled her by wrapping his arms around her.

----End of Flashback----

"Leave me alone." Sora shouted in Taichi's arms. "Why can't you all leave me alone?!" Taichi released her and Sora ran away not even looking at them. Taichi remained on the floor completely in shock. Yamato had watched the entire scene in complete amaze too. "What happened?" Yamato asked Taichi. He shrank his shoulders and stood up. "Let's find out." He replied walking into the building.

He walked up stairs and went straight to Jyou's office. Jyou was startled by his sudden appearance but he quickly regained his composure. "What happened?" Taichi asked as Yamato entered the room. Jyou gave the both a confused look. "Sora." Yamato said. "Oh, that. I had to suspend her." He said very calmly. "You did what?" Both Taichi and Yamato shouted at the same time. "You two are now charged of the case." Jyou replied.

Though he remained with his authority look and not showing a hint of compassion for Sora, he too felt pity in suspending her. Not only because she was an excellent policewoman, but also because he knew work mean everything to her. But his superiors had pressed him against the wall cause of her aggressive behaviour and he didn't have other choice.

"But, Jyou, you know Sora lives to work…" Yamato replied not convinced of Jyou's decision. Jyou sighed. He felt so bad for his actions but there was nothing he could do. If only Sora changed her attitude then maybe he could readmit her. "I'm sorry guys. I know that but the main board kept pressing me because of her behaviour and Mimi's report wasn't new. She is too locked inside herself and her aggressive behaviour doesn't help."

Taichi watched as the elder's eyes filled with pity and he understood he liked Sora very much. Not as a companion though, but as a daughter. He understood how hard it should have been for him to make that decision. He sighed and walked off the office. Yamato remained inside, not still defeated.

He looked around the room and it was like the world was going down on him. Now it was going to be much more difficult to interact with her since he wasn't going to work with her anymore and for worst he was afraid for her. For what Yamato had said to him and for what he saw, working was the only reason that kept Sora going. She was an addicted to work. What would she do now that she had been suspended?

Sora walked through the streets. Her fists had stop bleeding but the dry blood had soaked her gloves as well as dropped in her shirt spotting it here and there with auburn spots. `What the hell am I suppose to do now?´ she asked herself in a rhetoric way. But there was no answer besides the silence. For years since she had finally managed to get out of her house, work had been her only worry. She didn't think about anything else and her entire strengths were applied on her work.

She entered her old and messy apartment and the tears immediately started falling down her face. She buried her face in her lap and cried. The rude tissue of her gloves scratched her face but she didn't mind. She felt like the entire world had turned against her. She was on the hot spot.

The sun continued up in the sky. It should be about four in the afternoon but nothing mattered to her. She had lost the track of time as she lied on her sofa. Her only company were a pack of cigarettes and bars of beer. She just watched the ceiling. A lightened cigarette on her hand made his way to her mouth. She took a deep breath and put down her hand again. She watched as the smoke rose into the ceiling and hit against it, disappearing. Life meant nothing without working.

On her other hand, a beer. She put the liquid in her mouth and felt it going down her throat soaking it with the devilish drink. For hours she lied like that not really caring what was going on in the outside world.

For several times the phone rang but she simply ignored it, knowing perfectly the only person who was calling her was Yamato. But in fact it wasn't only Yamato. Mimi had phoned her three times, but as she didn't pick the phone she gave up. Then Jyou phoned her, but he too gave up. Still there was one person that kept phoning her. That person was Taichi. He was worried about her, but he couldn't make it to her house cause he simply didn't knew where it was and Yamato didn't either, so he just kept phoning hopping she would pick up the phone.

Once again, the phone rang. Sora took another gulp of her beer and stood up annoyed by the sound of the phone. But as she did it she fell to the ground. She looked into the bars of beer to see, two empty already and several canes spread around the place. She crawled to the phone and picked it. "Stop calling already Yamato." She yelled angrily drunk to the phone.

"This is not Yama, Sora!" a calm voice sighed from the other side. "Taichi?! How the hell did you get my number, you asshole?" an even more angry Sora replied. "Calm down. I just wanted to be sure that you were okay." Taichi said.

"You don't even know me. Why would you want to know if I'm okay? You guys are all the same. Trying to take the chance when you think we're more vulnerable. But let me tell you this. I got caught once, I'll not got caught twice." She yelled into the phone and hung off.

"Asshole!" she said as she crawled to the couch again and lightened another cigarette. `I must get back to work. I can't let them take that away from me, but they can't go and mess up with my life, wanting to know about my past. No one will ever know. Especially no men.´ she thought to herself as she took another gulp of beer.

Taichi sat on his couch and sighed. At least now he knew she was okay, but still he had a feeling she would do something dangerous. She was no girl to give up so easily. `What am I going to do?´ he thought, but the answer didn't come, like always.

----Flashback----

The brown haired guy sat there crying the hell out of him. He didn't know what to do now. He loved Megumi too much for her to stab him in the back like she had done. But he would over come it, but would he ever love again? The thoughts haunted his mind and this made him cry even more. The pain of being betrayed was just too much.

`What did I ever do to deserve this? I didn't do anything. I was the best boyfriend possible. I never forgot her birthday or any important dates in our lives. Wasn't I good enough?´ the thoughts came but the answer to them remained in the deep corners of his mind never to be show, or at least so it seemed.

----End Of Flashback----

Taichi shook his head to clear those thoughts. Megumi had been the only girl in his adult life. `What if Sora does the same to me?´ the fear of being betrayed again, was too hard to fight against sometimes and this thoughts kept coming. `No she wouldn't be like that. She too seems to have had some bad experiences with guys. I got caught once. What does she mean with that? Caught in what?´

He remained there not really knowing anything. then suddenly there was a light on his head. He picked the phone and dialled his sister's number.

"Takeru speaking." Takeru's voice replied from the other side of the line. "Hey, T.K. it's me, Taichi. Could you call my sister?" Taichi asked. Takeru coughed. "I'm afraid that is kind of impossible cause she is in the bath now, but I'm here." He said. Taichi raised an eyebrow. `Kids!´ he thought. "Tell her I accept the invitation to come eat with you guys okay?" Taichi said. Takeru froze on the other side of the line thought Taichi couldn't see it.

"Yeah, sure!" he said and hung up the phone. He leaned against the wall. `Oh, no. Taichi's coming.´ "Yagami, Hikari!" he shouted. He rushed into the shower. Hikari had a towel trapped around her body and her brown light hair fell over her shoulders. "Yes, my love." She said in a seductive way.

Takeru eyed her mischievous. "I love when you do that." He replied catching her in his arms. "What?" Hikari playfully said. "You look so hot in a towel." Takeru said. "Oh, so that's what you mean. I accept that as a complement." She said. "Your such a bad girl, Hikari." He said and leaned to kiss her neck.

"Who was it on the phone?" she asked. Takeru wasn't paying attention while he caressed her hair. "Taichi, he said he was coming over to dinner." He said and started kissing her. "Taichi?! Then I must prepare dinner, right now." She said and rushed out the bathroom. "Oh, man." Takeru complained. "Hey Hikari, that was why I wanted to talk with you. Why do you always invite Taichi…" he continued while he guide himself in a kind of trance to their room.

On the doorway of the bathroom, a completely drunk Sora stood leaned against the wall with a cane of beer in her hand and a towel on the other. "So out am I?" she smirked mischievously.