Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Fighter ❯ Chapter six ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Fighter

By Marie Darkholme

Sixth Chapter

Taichi continued navigating through her sister's info she had gave him. He read the same article that she had read. Millions of questions crossed his mind about that girl's mysterious past. In fact, Sora's past seemed to be causing everyone a lot of confusion. Not confusion in the meaning of troubles but a reflective confusion.

Mimi sat on her office desk staring at Yamato's eyes as she told him about Sora. She knew she couldn't tell that to anyone but Yamato had the right to know being her partner and friend, though for Sora she had only two friend in the whole world. Not that she didn't think of Yamato as a friend but she thought of him more like a partner, not a person in who she would rely her past life.

By his turn, Koushiro was still busy around the disk Sora had asked him to make. He really would do almost anything for his friend. He opened his desk drawn and picked a frame from within it. He sat back on his chair and stared at the picture for a while. A group of twelve years old kids smiled to the person that was taking the picture. He was the boy with orange shirt and brown shorts. Then there was a boy with soccer equipment with spiky hair that grinned mischievously as he put his hand around a girl's shoulders. She stood between the both of them and had her arms around both boys' shoulders. She too smiled.

Koushiro shook his head as the memories from that day seemed to come too easily for him. That could have been one of the last true smiles he had seen on Sora's face. For moments he wondered how the trio had got distant from each other and Sora was the only thing that connected him with Daisuke. Koushiro had always been kind of jealous from Sora and Daisuke friendship. He had grown accustomed to their secrets especially after Sora turned fourteen years old.

Anyway he was still close to Sora on his own way, and he cared for her as a good friend. But Daisuke, he was more than a friend. Daisuke was like a brother to Sora. Koushiro eventually acknowledge that and somehow got over his jealousy, and now, he really wished he hadn't got separate. He wondered where Daisuke would be now. How he had developed after he and Sora had entered the police academy. He could still remember Daisuke's dream of being a soccer star.

His thoughts were interrupted as someone knocked on the door. He looked over the picture and saw Taichi standing at the door. He raised an eyebrow as he thought of the possible meaning his visit might have to come disturb him. He put the frame back in his drawer and motioned Taichi to enter.

Taichi stepped into Koushiro's separated office. He looked over his surroundings to see piles of computer stuff and electronic gadgets. Koushiro eyed him. "Need help with anything?" he asked as Taichi took a sit in front of him. Taichi grinned as he looked to the red headed boy. Only then Koushiro noticed a piece of paper in Taichi's hands.

"I came here to ask you some questions." Taichi said in a serious but still playful way. Koushiro eyed him in curiosity but still admitted confusion. "I'm an open box." He replied grinned as he took a more comfortable position in his chair.

Taichi placed the piece of paper he had on his hands over the desk so Koushiro could see it. Koushiro watched his movements confused, as Taichi slowly opened the piece of paper to show a very large black and white photo. In it there were several graduated students holding their diplomas. He immediately froze as he noticed the year and then the faces of some familiar people.

The brown haired watched his reaction. Koushiro leaned on his chair and looked to Taichi in his eyes. "A picture." He stated. "So…?!" he asked, not wanting to show that he knew where the issue was heading. Taichi smirked as he watched Koushiro's eyes trembling and looking away from the pictures.

"Don't you recognize the people in this photo?" Taichi said, knowing fully well that Koushiro was seeing perfectly what he wanted. Koushiro looked at him and sighed. "You said you had some questions." He replied. Taichi leaned against his chair too. "Okay, you're right." He gave up. "I go directly to the question. How long do you know Sora? And more than that, what can you tell me about her past?"

Koushiro sadly looked into the ceiling. He knew someday someone will find out about his connection with Sora. In fact, he was astonished how Yamato hadn't discovered that sooner, but still he needed some credit since he was too busy with his romance with the psychologist of the department to notice how often Sora and he talked. He took a deep breath as to start telling the story of his life.

Sora lied still on Daisuke's arms. She had fallen asleep on his lap as he caressed her hair, but he hadn't the courage to awake her. At least the rain had stopped and now he was simply staring at the grey clouds that travelled at wind speed through the skies. He watched as Sora breathed in and out softly and calmly as he thought he would never see her again.

He allowed his hand to caress her cheek putting a loose strike of her honey hair behind her ear. She slept so peacefully he thought of her as an angel quietly sleeping in his arms. He sighed acknowledging that fallen angel had such a painful life story. He thought of her as a sister, a loved sister that he had never had the chance to meet.

He had had a sister, Jun, but she died when he was still too little in a car accident. He still remembered the first day he had met Sora, and he prayed he would forget the first time he saw her crying. He regretted the day she had come to him and stayed like that in his arms. The first time he had knowledge of her real life.

----Flashback----

Daisuke stared at his classmates. He smirked as he rolled the ball on his feet. He passed one then two and easily three defences as he ran unstoppable to the goal. He could hear the girls screaming his name and the boys yelling encouragement words as he approached the goal. He stopped and smirked to the goal keeper as he saw his arms trembling as he tried not to jerk from the goal. But in the moment he shot the ball, he had no longer an opponent as the goal keeper had already made his way put of Daisuke's straight shot.

The crown went mad and some girls surrounded him screaming his name like he was dying or something. It was in that moment; at the end of that friendly game he saw her running pass the camp. He couldn't figure why she was running, but it wasn't like Sora at all running like hell as she was in that moment. He made his way off the circle of fans and ran after her.

"Sora!" he called as he tried desperately to reach her. But though she was a girl se could run like the wind when she wanted to. It was like there was nothing else besides running to her, and he could quiet see, she wasn't going anywhere she could possible wanted to go, since she contained herself in keeping running straight, not caring where she was heading.

He took his speed to the limit in a last effort to catch her and managed to grab her arm. He could hardly forget her face as he turned her to face him. Her eyes were redder than he could ever think possible, but that wasn't the scarier thing in her. He could see her lip bleeding. Her neck had finger marks around it and only as he let go her arm he noticed the bruises over her pale skin. He backed up with a surprised less to say look.

But Sora remained there. There were no more tears she could shed. She threw herself in his arms. She just wanted to feel safe and in his brotherly embrace she could feel just that. Safe.

It took Daisuke a time to establish from the shock he had had. They sat in a nearby bench. There was when Daisuke could finally articulate his first word. "Are you okay?" in response he only obtained a small nod. He wanted to know what had happened to his most estimated girl friend, but the words didn't seem to come out right.

Eventually Sora too, regained her composure. She stared at him. She wondered she should or not tell him, but the pain was just too much to handle alone. She needed someone by her side, someone she knew she could trust, and in that moment she couldn't trust more in anyone than in Daisuke.

The boy's face went from wide shock to pure hate in seconds as Sora told him about her last few years. Daisuke clenched his fists together.

----End Of Flashback----

Daisuke clenched his fists together as the memories came. "I could someone pass through so much in such a few time?" he murmured. Once again he looked into her face. He knew she had nightmares, not only about those days but also about that special day. The day she thought she was being loved only to be fooled. But now, as he looked at her, in his lap, he saw how she peacefully slept. His fallen angel. His fighter. His sister.

Taichi stared at Koushiro right into his eyes. After all, the eyes are the mirror to the soul and Taichi knew, without any kind of doubt, Koushiro was telling the true, the complete true and nothing besides the true. After hearing such a life story he could hardly consider his life a living hell when his mother perished.

Koushiro too had had a rough past and that was something that Taichi wasn't quite expecting, but about Sora there weren't many news. Now he knew she had a friend in which she relied more than anyone. But still he didn't know were to find this partner. Though some door to Sora's past were open now, he still couldn't figure the all story, but he swore to himself he would somehow managed to know.

He left Koushiro there alone still sitting in a comfortable position on his chair, but not with the same smile. It was painful for him remember how his life had changed in such few years. Taichi went to his desk and sat on the chair. He sighed. `So many questions.´ he thought. He scratched the back of his head and yawned. He was really getting tired. He looked over to the computer then decided to go rest a little.

He redrew the disk from the computer and picked his raincoat. Then he exited the building not looking once behind. He was just too tired. He drove his dark blue Subaru to his apartment. The rain had started to drop again and quickly filled his windshield with little raindrops.

He looked around as he entered his apartment. There was a strange smell on the air, almost like food. He hanged his coat on a nearby chair and started looking around. There was definitely something wrong as he acknowledge the smell getting stronger as he got to the kitchen.

He picked in and saw the lights on but the door was closed. He took a deep breath and picked his gun from his belt. Holding it close to his face with both hands he tiptoed leaned against the wall to the door. Then, taking another deep breath, he pushed the door open ad pointed the gun.

Inside the kitchen a long black haired with spectacular blue eyes was cooking lunch. Taichi just stood there completely in shock, not knowing what to say or what to do. Megumi, though, kept quietly cooking like it was the more normal thing to be there. She picked the pan in which she was frying some eggs and put it back on the cold counter, making some smock fly up to the sky.

After a few seconds of silence, that seemed like decades to Taichi, he finally put the gun back on its original place and managed to articulate a word. "What are you doing here?" he asked. The girl did not remove her attention from the pan. She mixed the eggs with other stuff like she was doing omelettes or something like it. "I had your house keys still." She said. Taichi sighed.

He watched her. He still remembered her slim waist and how many times he had grabbed her and spin her around like a child, but she loved that. He still smelled her vanilla hair but he still hadn't forgotten that night. He watched her as she put over the table the food were two plates were already set along with a couple of candles. The lights in the dinning room were off, so there was only the light that came from the two lighten candles.

"I asked you what were you doing here?" he asked coldly as he remained in the same spot he was since he got there. She looked at him for the first time in the whole encounter. He got lost in her eyes, but now there was something different happening too, because he no longer had the guts to kiss her as he looked into her eyes like he always did. Now there were other eyes in his mind. He was glad for that, but Megumi was still there.

He felt her approach him quietly like cat spying the next move of his victim. She placed her hands behind his neck. Taichi felt her breath on his face. He tried to remain calm but her charm was taking over him. He took her hands off. "Get out!" he said in a murmur. There was no rage or anger in his voice, only a simple beg for her to live. But Megumi wasn't willing to give up on him so easily.

"I just wanted to make peace with you again." She said as she approached him. Taichi stepped back at the same time that she stepped forward. Her voice was seductive and her clothes attracted any men, but Taichi wasn't going to fall in her tricks again. He pushed her off of him. "Get out, Megumi or I'll put you out myself." He said.

Megumi stared at him madly, but he wasn't looking for her. She approached him and tried to slap him but she couldn't because he grabbed her hand. She started sobbing to herself. "I just wanted to come back to you." She sobbed as she stepped back. Taichi turned his back on her. He couldn't stand seeing a woman cry, much lesser if he was the reason she was crying. His mother had always told him, a man is no worth if he makes a woman cry.

"You were the one that betrayed me right under my nose." He replied not facing her still. He could feel her walking around now. She walked from one way to the other. "But I regretted my actions and I came back for you." Megumi tried, but still Taichi remained stone hearted not facing her. She put her hands around his back embracing him. "I love you Taichi, just you." She said as she kissed his neck.

Taichi closed his eyes feeling her lips on his bare neck. That was the last drop, he knew somehow she would always fool him and he couldn't trust her anymore again. He turned around, her arms still around him. She looked into his chocolate brown eyes, thinking she had managed what she wanted. She approached his lips and tried to kiss him, but Taichi pulled away. "Stop Megumi." He shouted in an angry voice that he had tried to keep to himself.

She stared at him for a while. "I need you." She said. "Yeah, maybe you do, but I don't need you. You hurt me Megumi, deeply." He said, tears filling his eyes. The girl simply stared at him. "I can't trust you anymore and I don't want to either." He paused for a few seconds. He slowly walked to the door and opened it. "Please, leave." He said. Megumi eyed him. She could almost fell his arms around her, but not anymore. "You have another girl, haven't you?" she stated very angry. "Well, that's fine, I don't need you either." And with this last statement she picked her walled and walked off.

Taichi stood there looking to the open door. He took him a minute to understand what had happened as he closed the door and went to his room. The sleep was getting over him. He could and he didn't want to think about anything anymore. He took off his shirt and pants, putting his gun over his night table and fell to his bed.

Sora slowly opened her eyes as the light entered the space were she was. She looked around not recognizing the place from anywhere. Then she glanced over to the door. A guy was standing there. "I thought you were asleep." He smiled. Sora immediately recognized his voice. "I was, but it's about time I wake up, don't you think?" she replied as she stood up and walked over to him. She put her arms around him.

"Thanks Daisuke bro." she replied. The spiky haired simply smiled. "Want some lunch?" he asked. She pulled away and looked over to him. "What would I do without you?" she smiled and followed him to the kitchen.

Daisuke's house was a very small one. His bedroom, the one Sora had awake in was very small with only space to the bed and a closet. The hall was small as well, having almost every door close to each other. The kitchen was a small room with a small squared table in a corner with two chairs. Then it had a counter with a lavatory glued to the stove. Underneath it was a clothes washing machine and drawers and closets. Against the wall was a mini fridge.

She sat on one of the chairs as she waited for Daisuke to come join her. He prepared them two hamburgers with bread and put it over a couple of plates that he placed in the table. Then he picked a bottle of water and placed it too on the table along with two cups.

Sora glanced over to the water bottle and stood up. Daisuke, though, grabbed her hand before she could go any further. She looked to him and he shook his head. She sighed defeated, knowing Daisuke would never let her drink inside his house. She sat back on the chair and picked her hamburger. She watched the rain that had started falling again outside.

Daisuke watched Sora as he ate his hamburger. She just stared outside not really eating anything. She was still thinking about all that had happened. Why did those things happened to her? First Taichi and then Mimi and probably Yamato next since he and her shrink were so close. She had seen him when she ran off the office, but she preferred he thought she hadn't seen him. It was for the best.

She still couldn't figure out her feelings towards Taichi either. In a way she adored his courage. He had been the only one that had found where she lived and had actually came there, but she thought as well he had a lot of nerves to just appear there. She had promised herself after that she would never love again, never again, but could she still keep that promise?

"I know that look of yours." Daisuke interrupted her thoughts. Sora turned her attention to him. Could it be possible that she was falling in love with Taichi Yagami? "C'mon, tell me what's going on in your head, Sor." He asked. She sighed but remained in silence. Instead she started eating. Daisuke acknowledged by this time, she wasn't going to tell him what was bothering her, so he decided to change the subject.

"How is your undercover job going?" he asked taking a sip of his water. Sora smiled mischievously. "Great." She paused as she too took a sip of her water. "I still didn't thank you for yesterday." "Hey, it's no problem. What are friends for?" he smiled. "So what is it this time? Drug dealers, illegal immigrants, prostitution?"

Sora took a comfortable position in her chair as she prepared to talk. Daisuke eyes her suspicious. "Well, I might say is a little of them all, but let's not talk about me. I haven't seen you in a while. How are things going?" she asked with a truly concerned voice. Daisuke stared at the ceiling and then to her crimson eyes again. Sora could see sorrow in them.

"Don't worry. You'll manage it one day. They just didn't acknowledge your talent." She replied walking towards him and keeping him in her arms. Daisuke allowed some lost tears roll down his face. Sora wiped them silently with a smile. "Hey, men don't cry." She said playfully. Daisuke smiled too, but it soon faded.

"It's just that…I really thought my dream would…you know, accomplish someday. But it's just seems like I'm far from it. At least you and Koushiro had your dreams come true, but I… I still work in a cafeteria." He said, crying softly in her arms now. "I feel like I'm a looser."

----Flashback----

"Hey, Sora. Come play with me." A fifteen years old Daisuke asked his friend. Sora looked over to her other friend, Koushiro that was sitting against a tree with a criminal's psychology book. "Koushiro!" she called him as she ran towards the red headed boy.

He raised his head for a few seconds to see his two friends walking towards him. He closed the book he was reading. It was a beautiful spring day and the tree friends were over at the park playing. Koushiro had for the first time in a long time accepted to play soccer with Daisuke and Sora, so it was he and Sora against Daisuke.

They ran through the empty field with the ball at their feet. Koushiro was the goal keeper. It was a one to one for Sora and Daisuke. They stood front to front. Sora had the ball and they were tied, so this was the decision play. She stared at him in his eyes. He grinned. Then without notice she started running down the field.

"Shit!" Daisuke murmured as he ran after her. He got the ball from her and ran in the opposite side. "It's all yours Koushiro." Sora yelled from the other side of the field. Koushiro saw Daisuke approaching in strength with a grin on his face. He prepared himself for the shot, but Daisuke stopped. He wasn't expecting that. Then the shot came and all that Koushiro managed to do was follow the trajectory of the ball with his eyes.

Daisuke ran around the field chanting victory. He ran around Sora to make her mad, but she didn't. "Let's take a pause, I'm tired." She replied as she walked pass him and towards the tree. She sat under it along with Koushiro. Daisuke soon followed.

Sora took from her backpack three water bottles and handed them over to her guy friends. "You know, I was kind of thinking. What do you want to be when you grow up?" she asked without notice. Daisuke looked at her surprised by the thought that Sora might actually think about her future. Koushiro simply picked up the book again, showing the title to them.

"I want to be a cop." He replied. Sora put on a thinking smile. "Yeah, I would like to be that too, must be pretty cool." She replied. Koushiro simply smiled. "What about you Dai?" he asked. Daisuke smiled with an enthusiastic and dreamy face. "I want to be a football player. A famous one."

----End Of Flashback----

Sora embraced Daisuke as she remembered that day so clearly. That had been the day all of them had chosen their paths. But Daisuke wasn't right. He wasn't the only one who hadn't accomplished his goal. She too felt like something was missing. Like a part of her was vanished in the air, but she couldn't quite figure why since for her, all her dreams had come true.

Hikari stood from the desk were she was working without any stop since early morning. She definitely couldn't take that anymore. She went to her room and dressed herself. Then put on her backpack were she always carried a camera and walked off the house.

"I'll go just for a little walk." She replied to herself trying not to get guilty for escaping to her work like that. She walked to the park were she took some pictures and then she continued walking. Suddenly from a store she saw a familiar face. It was Sora. "But what is she doing here with that guy?" she thought to herself.

She started following them and taking pictures as they walked through the streets. Sora turned sometimes to see if anyone was following her. She could feel someone's gaze in her as she was being spied or something, but she continued walking. Hikari found that was difficult to follow a so well trained cop. She could almost swear she had eyes on her back.

Daisuke and Sora kissed goodbye next to the cafeteria where Daisuke worked. He entered but Sora continued down the street. It was getting to five in the afternoon, but that doesn't matter as she kept following Sora. But suddenly as she turned a corner she stopped seeing her. Nevertheless she kept walking down the street.

Suddenly from nowhere a hand covered her mouth and pushed her against the wall. For at least five seconds she was terrified, until she saw two reddish eyes watching her furiously. "You?!" Sora shouted as she pushed the girl against the wall. "What are you doing?" she asked.

Hikari tried to talk, but that was kind of difficult since Sora's hand was over her mouth. "Can't you leave me alone?" Sora said and retrieved her hand from Hikari's mouth. "Thanks." The younger replied. Sora glared at her and noticed the machine. "I can't believe you." She shouted again. "You don't have the right to follow people picturing their lives like that." She said and took the camera from Hikari.

"No, please. I have more than your photos in it." She pleaded as Sora prepared to take the film. Sora sighed. "Okay, but stop following me. Follow your brother instead. My life can be really messy and agitated." She replied. Hikari glared at her at the mention of her brother. "It's for your own safety." The eldest replied.

Hikari continued to glare at her. `I really can't understand this girl. I could almost swear, I saw a hint of warm in her voice as she mentioned my brother.´ Hikari thought to herself. `But what does she means with messy and agitated life? She's up to something.´

Sora watched the girl before her. She had brown eyes and brown hair just like her brother though her hair was thickest then Taichi and felt softly to her shoulders. The image of the guy appeared in her head and for a second she wished he was with her. "Get a grip on yourself." She replied to herself not really noticing Hikari stares.

"Well, don't come following me again, okay?" She asked to Hikari. The other simply nodded with a smirk.

Sora walked off the alley where she had trapped the photographer and headed to the police department. She took a glare at her watch. Almost six. She had to be quick if she wanted to get some information today still. She walked faster.

Koushiro sat at his desk. It seemed like it was the only thing he knew to do. In fact there were rumours that he even slept in his officer. But this time he was just waiting for one person to arrive and then he would go home for a worth rest.

He watched the rest of the cops walking from one place to another. Then a blond cop got his attention. It was Yamato and he seemed very sleepy but truly very happy as he walked with his jacket over his shoulder. Koushiro couldn't help but laugh as he watched him with a lunatic air exiting the department. He still had lipstick on his face, but it wasn't new for anyone about his relationship with Mimi.

For a second he considered the possibility of going to say hi to Mimi. She sure should have the same lunatic air. He smiled at the possibility. He yawned and looked over to his watch. Almost six. Yamato was going home but in less than three hours he would have to come again for the watch.

He followed the steps of the people inside the building to the exit door. His eyes slowly started closing as they seemed to become heavier and heavier. His head fell to his desk and he started sleeping right there.

About seven hours, he was awake by a voice that called his name. "Koushiro, Izumi. Wake up." Sora said as she shook her sleepy friend over the desk. He raised his head and watched the girl.

"Hey, Sora, I was waiting for you." He said as he tried to open his eyes. He quickly searched for the disk he had been preparing all afternoon for her. "Here." He said handing it over to her. "This will do what you asked me, I think." He added unsurely.

"No worry. I trust you." She replied as she picked the disk and put it on her backpack. "Shouldn't you go home to rest?" she asked him as he fell asleep over his desk again. "Yeah, I should." He replied and got up.

As both of them walked out of the building Koushiro decided to remember Sora of her promise. "Don't forget. If you in danger call for me or Yama or Taichi. We will got there to help you. Are you sure they have no suspicious of who you are?" he said.

Sora glared at him for a while. "Sure, don't worry."