Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ First Crush ❯ Daydreaming & Taste Tests ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

First Crush 1

Daydreaming & Taste Tests

Just like other digimon fanfic writers, I do not own digimon!

Twelve-year-old Suzie sighed as she rested her chin in her left palm, her eyes fixed on her crush Chip. Class was about to start and he looked so hunky sitting in his chair with his arms stretched out and folded behind his head. For a pre-teen, he was pretty well built and was an exceptional athlete. He had shiny blackish-brown hair and green eyes that had a spark in them. Suzie began to daydream.

'Someday,' she thought and pictured that they were on a date at the beach. They were looking at the stars and she was dressed in a pretty sundress, he in denim. She shivered and he put his denim jacket around her shoulders. Then they were caught in a special moment. She could feel her heart racing as they leaned forward. She closed her eyes, puckered her lips and sighed.

"Oh Chip…"

"Oh Suzie…"

****

"Suzie? Suzie?"

"Huh?" Suzie's eyes flipped open. Chip's handsome face was replaced with the angry teacher's and she leaned back, embarrassed. "Oh!"

"Suzie, do you know where you are now?" She demanded.

"Uh--uh, yes ma'am, I'm sorry."

Her classmates snickered around her and she groaned. She looked up at Chip, but wasn't looking at her. Chip didn't even seem to know that Suzie existed. Suzie had to take action before it was too late. If she wouldn't do it soon, she'll lose her chance.

'Tomorrow,' she thought, nodding, 'I'll give him a note. Even a present, yeah, cookies. Boys love junk food.'

After class, she followed him out the classroom. Hugging her books, she gathered her courage. She had never had the guts to even say 'hi' to him. Maybe if she said high to him today, she'd be able to give him the present tomorrow. It was simple. All she had to do was to say hi. She's always been so innocent and happy. If she could talk to a giant rabbit in the Digiworld she didn't even know, surely she could at least say hi to her crush. Worth a shot, right?

"Hi, Chip," she said bleakly behind him.

"Huh?" Chip mumbled and looked passed his shoulder to see a nervous Suzie. Suzie almost melted. She loved his voice. "Oh, hi, uh, Sylvie, right?"

'Sylvie?" Suzie thought, her heart dropping. 'He doesn't know my name and he's in my class!' She smiled and shook her head, correcting him gently. "No, it's Suzie. Close though."

"Oh, right."

'Wow he's so cute,' she thought. She stepped closer and could smell his cologne. "I was wonderin--"

"Sorry, I uh, gotta go," he said, "soccer."

"Right. Have fun."

He ran off and she sighed heavily. Step one was over. Step two was expressing her feelings and step three was getting him to feel the same way. She walked home, thinking how to solve this problem. Was there someone she could talk to? Someone who knew about guys? Someone who liked a guy and knew how to get their attention. Jeri carried around that annoying, silly hand puppet and that got people's attention. It did work on Takato. But she couldn't try that. Takato was different--he already did like Jeri. They were friends. She had believed him when he said he had a digimon when Kenta and Kazu thought it was fake. And Rika, well, she was different from Jeri. Nice but naughty. Tough but soft. She knew she had a thing for her brother and she knew that Henry liked her back. It didn't take much of her to notice it. Hearing him say, "Rika, Rika, Rika" in his sleep was enough.

Henry was always so nice to her too, even when Suzie thought she didn't deserve it. She was a daughter of a model but didn't act it. Suzie can't talk to her brother's love interest about boys. No way. Rika would tell her that she was nuts. She couldn't talk to Jeri either, even if she was a nice girl. Jeri might give her weird advice. She could probably talk to Lopmon, but she was a digimon, not a human.

Suzie was by her herself but she could do it. She'd come up with a way to tell Chip her feelings and win his.

"I can do this," Suzie told herself. "I've got to." She came home and opened the door. Her mom was there and she quickly said hi without having to explain her day at school. She walked into her room and Lopmon jumped off her bed to greet her.

"Hi, Suzie," Lopmon said.

Suzie smiled at her digimon and sat down at her desk. Suzie pulled out a pen and a pad of girly stationary paper. She took a deep breath before starting her message. Lopmon jumped up and settled on her shoulder.

"What are you going to write, Suzie?" she inquired.

"You'll see."

Dear Chip,

I've been crushing on you ever since I first saw you in class. I love your smile, your eyes, and your masculine body. I think you are gorgeous. Always have. I just now got the guts to tell you how I feel. You are a great soccer player, the best. I am so in love with you, Chip. I know that we were meant to be together, you and I, forever. There's no one else in school or on Earth that could love you as much as I do. We can be great together, Chip. I can make you happy. I know I can. Just give me a chance, you won't regret it.

Love always,

Suzie

Suzie folded the note and put it in an envelope.

Lopmon's eyes budged, "you've got a crush on someone?"

"Yes," Suzie said, taking her digimon in her arms and swinging her around. "He's very cute. I'm going to give him the note with a plate of cookies tomorrow." She smiled. "I'm so excited!"

Lopmon looked confused for a minute, "well, good luck I guess."

Suzie dropped Lopmon on her bed. She went back into the kitchen and asked her mother if they had any ingredients to make cookies.

"Cookies, what for?" She asked.

"Because…I want to give them someone," she answered reluctantly, "So, do we have the stuff? Should I go to the market?"

"Er, yes, of course." She said.

"Perfect." She pulled out the sugar, flour, and other dry ingredients from the cabinet and pulled out the eggs from the refrigerator. Her mother preheated the oven to 350 degrees. She started the batter and followed the recipe carefully. "These cookies have to be perfect," she whispered under her breath while stirring the batter with a wooden spoon.

The door opened and Henry came inside looking winded. He must've had a tough day at school, or maybe an argument with Rika.

"Hi Henry," their mother said, "how was--"

"Don't ask," Henry grunted, heading for his room. He stopped when he caught the scent off cookies and looked at his sister. "Suzie, what are you doing?"

"What does it look like?" Suzie demanded, looking to her brother out to the corner of her eye, "I'm making cookies." She turned her attention back to the bowl. "Why is this thing so hard to stir?"

"Suzie, you shouldn't talk to your brother like that," her mother scolded. "And you put too much sugar in at once."

"Oh," Suzie mumbled, her cheeks turning pink. "Right."

"Why don't you just go out and buy some cookies?" Henry suggested.

"It's not the same!" Suzie exclaimed.

Henry was taken back, "oh, okay." He went to his room.

After mixing, she took a teaspoon scooped some of the mix onto a cookie sheet in circles. When it was full, she put it in the oven and put spoonfuls on another cookie sheet. "Now, bake for thirty minutes or until they become a golden brown…" she whispered to herself, setting the timer. She went to do her homework while she waited for the cookies to bake. Then she heard Henry talking to someone on the phone.

"Huh?" she mumbled. She peaked out of her room and saw her brother lying down on the couch with his phone to his ear.

"I did, Takato," she heard him say. "But you know Rika…" he let out a huge sigh.

Suzie had to laugh slightly. Henry having problems with girls--she found it funny. She knew he liked Rika just as much; well just as much Suzie liked Chip. Now he was talking to Takato about her. But he wasn't much of a 'ladies man' either, even if Takato was good friends with Jeri. Suzie checked on the cookies and they weren't done yet. Though, the aroma started to seep from the kitchen to the whole apartment. Suzie sighed, 'when are these cookies going to be done?' she wondered, tapping her fingers on the counter. She was so nervous. What if she messed up on them? What if she missed an ingredient? Too much sugar, not enough sugar? She bit her lip. She could just see it.

****

"Hi, Chip," she crooned, handing him a plate of cookies, "I, uh, made these just for you!"

Chip smiled and took the plate of cookies. "Hey, thanks, Sally, you're all right."

"Suzie…" she muttered

"Suzie, that's right," he said and picked up a cookie. He bit into one and started to chew. He dropped the plate and it broke onto the floor. The cookie fell out of his other hand and his face turned blue.

"Chip, are you all right?"

He started to spit out the bit of cookie in his mouth. "What is this junk? Are you trying to kill me?!"

Suzie looked on in surprise, "I'm sorry, I--"

"Leave me alone!"

"Chip, wait! I'm so sorry!"

****

Suzie frowned then shook the thought away. No. She couldn't think like that. She was certain she followed the recipe correctly. The buzzer dinged and she pulled out the cookies and set them on top of the oven. She let them cool.

"Now, I just need to test them," she said, picking up one and putting it on a napkin. She looked at Henry, who was still on the phone with Takato. "Hmmm," she grinned mischievously and walked up to him and handed the cookie into his face. "Try this."

"Suzie, I'm on the phone," Henry muttered.

Suzie heard Takato's voice from the phone, "uhh, should I call back later?"

"Please, try the cookie and tell me what you think," Suzie insisted. "It's important."

"Oh, all right," Henry groaned and took the cookie off the napkin and took a bite.

"Well, what do you think?" Suzie asked nervously. "Are they okay?"

"What are you eating, Henry?" Takato demanded. Suzie could visualize him looking quite puzzled.

"It's fine."

"Fine, that's all? Are you sure? Is it too salty or--"

"It tastes just like a cookie should taste like."

"Cookies?" Takato mumbled.

"Here, if you don't believe me, you eat finish it," Henry said, giving it back.

"Okay," Suzie finished the cookie. "Hmm, they do taste pretty good."

"See, I told you."

"I think I'll take a few to your friends and get their opinion," Suzie said. "Just to make sure they're good enough.

"What?"

"Can you ask Takato to come here?"

"Suzie!"

"Or I can just come down," Suzie said, "his parents own a bakery after all and they can give me some pointers." She put some on a paper plate and left the apartment.

"Suzie, get back here!" Henry yelled, still holding the phone.

"AAAAH!" Takato screamed. "Henry! My ears!"

"Oh, sorry, Takato."

"What's going on?" Takato asked.

"My sister is being weird as usual."

"Oh, I see."

****

Suzie made haste to Takato's home. "Hi, is Takato here?" she asked his mother.

"Yeah, I'll get him," she cupped her hand around her mouth and looked up to his bedroom, "Takato, someone is here to see you!"

Takato, who was still talking to Henry, came down the stairs. "Suzie, what are you doing here?"

"I want you to try one of these cookies I made," she said, handing out the plate.

"So that's what you and Henry were talking about," Takato said.

"Suzie's already there?" Henry asked. "Tell her to get home right now!"

"Relax, Henry," Takato said. "I'll call you back."

"Takato---"

Takato hung up. "What's with the cookies? Is this for a school project?"

"Something like that," Suzie said. "I just need your opinion on them."

"How many did you make?" He asked, picking up a cookie.

"Two dozen," she said. "You think that's enough?"

"Yeah," he bit into the cookie. "Hmm."

"Well?"

Takato finished the cookie then shrugged. "Good. Well, tastes just like a cookie should taste like. And take it from me, Suzie, I've tasted a lot of cookies."

Suzie looked around the bakery, "I'd bet. Thanks, Takato. I'll go see what Rika thinks."

"Er, you might not want to do that--" Takato began but Suzie already left. The phone rang, startling Takato. "Aaah! Oh…Hello? Oh, hey Henry."

"Is Suzie still there?"

"No, she went to Rika's."

"She what?!"

"What's the deal with all these cookies?"

"I don't know…but if she ruins any chance with me and Rika---"

****

When Suzie got to Rika's home, her grandmother opened the door. "Hi, is Rika here?" Suzie asked.

"Yes, honey, come right in," she said, letting her in. "Would you like anything?"

"No thanks, ma'am," Suzie said, "I won't be here long."

"I'll go and get Rika," she said and went to her room. "Rika dear, there is someone here to see you."

"If it's Henry tell him to go away!" Rika cried.

Suzie raised an eyebrow. Maybe something did happen between them today.

"It's not Henry," her grandmother said, "it's…oh, what's your name honey?"

"Suzie!" Suzie cried.

"Oh, her name is Suzie."

Rika paused. What would her crush's sister be doing here? She thought a minute, 'Henry probably sent her here. When I see him tomorrow--' Rika stepped out and walked to Suzie.

"What are you doing here?" she demanded. "Henry sent you, didn't he?"

"No." Suzie said. "I just want you to try one of my cookies."

"Well, isn't that nice," her grandmother said.

"You came all the way here for me to try a cookie?" Rika asked, looking surprised.

"Why else would I come here?"

"Oh, I don't know," Rika hung her head and sighed. "Maybe…oh, nevermind." She cleared her throat and reached for a cookie. She ate it and looked like she enjoyed it.

"Well? Do you like it?"

"Tastes fine," Rika said, "almost as good as my grandmother's."

Her grandmother smiled.

"Really?"

Rika shrugged. "Yeah."

"Thanks, Rika! Now I'll go see what Jeri thinks!" Suzie took off.

The phone rang. Rika wouldn't answer it, thinking it was Henry. Her grandmother got it. "Oh, hello, Takato. Yes, she's here." She cupped her hand over the phone, "Rika, it's Takato."

Rika took the phone, "What's up, goggle head?"

"Did Suzie just leave your house?"

"Yeah, she went to Jeri's."

"Jeri?"

"Uh-huh."

Takato quickly hung up. "Uh-oh…" He wasn't sure who to worry about most, his crush Jeri, or his best friend's younger sister, Suzie. They were both, too happy and when the two were together, it was pretty scary, except for the time when they were both two sad girls in the digital world. What if she heard him saying something about Jeri while he was talking to Henry? Suzie might blurt it out! Then Takato would want to crawl in a hole and stay there.

****

"Hi Suzie, what brings you here?" Jeri asked at the door.

"I just wanted to you to try these cookies I made." She handed her one.

"Why?"

"Well, your parents have a restaurant and," she shrugged, "well," she blushed. "It's kinda personal."

"Ohhh," Jeri said, "you like a boy, don't you?"

Suzie smiled, "Yes. I already asked my brother, Takato and Rika to try it."

"And what did they think?"

"So far everyone has liked it. I just want to make sure you all like it before I give it to--the boy I like."

"That's really good," Jeri said, "we have food critics that come to our restaurant all the time. I'll try to give you my best honest answer."

"Thanks."

Jeri ate the cookie. She smiled, "say, this is great! Can I have the recipe?"

"It's that good?"

"Yeah. And that boy would be crazy not to like you after trying these cookies. I can tell you worked hard on them! You want a job here?"

Suzie nodded, "well, I'll think about it."

"Let me know. Say, when you took these to Takato, did he say anything about me?"

Suzie shook her head. "I didn't ask."

Jeri sighed, "boys." She looked at the plate and noticed there were 2 more left. "Who are the other 2 for? Kenta and Kazu?"

"Yup. I'll go to Kazu first and then Kenta."

"Take it from me, Kazu would eat anything," Jeri said.

"I hope you're right," Suzie sighed. "Thanks, Jeri."

"No problem."

****

When she got to Kazu's house, the door was part way open. She could hear heavy metal being played and some yelling.

"Um, hello?" she knocked on the door lightly. It pushed the door father and she raised her voice, "hello, is Kazu home?"

She pushed the door open and nearly fainted. She was looking for Kazu--and found him. He was jumping around on everything and playing air-guitar. He was wearing jeans and a jean vest over his bare chest. His hair was spikier than usual and had an earring in one ear. He even had a fake tattoo on his arm of a skull with a snake. He wanted a real one but his parents wouldn't let him get one. He had a plethora of temporary tattoos, guitar magazines and rock CD's. Suzie stared. She knew how Kazu came up. She heard Henry and the others talk about him. Kazu kept saying he wanted to be a rock star and drive a motorcycle. He was such a 'ladies man'. Every girl at school loved him. If Gardramon was right about one thing, he did make lots of girls sad when he started dating. He did more though. He had a knack at making them happy. He made them laugh and scream too--he even made them sigh and moan and… He had the looks and everything. She saw him time to time when he came to her house to borrow something from Henry…but now…she suddenly forgot why she came looking for him anyway. She even forgot about Chip.

"Yeah, rock on!" Kazu shouted, jumping off the sofa and landing on his knees. He looked up and saw Suzie standing in the doorway. Instead of freaking out or telling her to leave or even running to get dressed, he got up and said, "Hi, Suzie, come on in!"

"Huh?" she whispered, coming out of her trance.

"What's that?" he asked over the music.

She shook her head, remembering why she came here. "I want you to try one of my cookies."

"Huh?"

She raised her voice over the music, "Can you turn the music down?"

"Say that again."

"THE MUSIC IS TOO LOUD!"

"Oh!" he exclaimed and turned the volume from 35 down to 8. "Better?"

"Yeah."

"So, what brings you by?"

"I um, just want you to try a cookie for me." She shakily handed him the plate. "I just made them."

"I love cookies!" he exclaimed and reached for one. Instead of taking a small nibble like the others, he put the whole thing in his mouth. "This is awesome!" he said with his mouth full.

"Really?"

"Oh, yeah!" he looked at the last cookie, "can I have the last one?"

"It's for Kenta," she said. "I took them to Takato, Rika, Jeri, then you…"

"You're doing a taste test thing?" he asked.

"Yeah, that's it."

"Too bad Kenta's allergic to sugar," Kazu lied.

"He is?"

"Uh-huh. He's so allergic that just one bite of cookie makes him break into hives!"

"Oh, that's horrible," Suzie mumbled. "I wanted to know what he thought about it. It's really important that everyone likes them."

"But I'll be glad to take this cookie for him," Kazu said.

"Oh, would you?"

"Sure," he grinned. He picked up the cookie and ate it slower this time. "Mmm, good cookies."

"I bet you'll eat anything," Suzie said, folding her arms over her plate.

"Just about."

"I did put too much sugar in at one time," she mumbled. "It made it hard to stir."

"That's how I like 'em!"

"Really?"

"Yeah! I never tasted a cookie I don't like…and I even tried one that had more salt than sugar."

"NO way!"

"Way. Are these cookies for some contest at school?"

"Something like that," she blushed.

"Well, I bet you'll win."

"Thanks, Kazu," she backed up and nearly knocked a pile of magazines over. "Whoops. Sorry."

"Don't worry about it."

"Bye Kazu."

"Later, Suzie."

She walked away and as she went down the steps, she heard the music flare up again. Suzie smiled. She sure hoped Chip had an appetite like Kazu's.

TBC