Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ First Crush ❯ Addiction Kills ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

First Crush 8

Addiction Kills

Disclaimer: The only characters I own are the jerk Chip and his hussy Millie.

Kazu brought Suzie to Mario's Pizza Heaven {AN: I know, made it up. Thought I'd make up a pizza name than instead putting 'pizza parlor'} and he was praying silently that she really wasn't bulimic. He knew that Ai wouldn't lie about something like this. They were best friends and Ai wasn't the kind of girl to spread a rumor that Suzie was bulimic. He beloved that maybe Ai was just misinformed. She wouldn't become bulimic, would she? Even if Chip Honda hurt her, Suzie just wouldn't do that.

"I'm so glad you called, Kazu," Suzie chirped, "I'm famished!"

"Good," Kazu said, 'maybe you'll keep it down.'

They came to a booth and Kazu pulled out a menu, "what kind of pizza do you want? Please don't say anchovies!"

"Darn," she said sarcastically and giggled. "I think I'm in the mood for the supreme. That looks good."

"What size? Medium?"

"Oh, large," she said.

'Large,' Kazu thought, 'that doesn't sound good.'

"And can we order a side of breadsticks too?" she questioned. "And salads?"

Kazu nodded, "not a problem." He stood up, "I'll go and order it." He went to the counter and told the clerk what pizza he would like to order.

The clerk smiled as he put in the order, "a large pizza for yourself?"

"No," he nodded to Suzie in the corner booth.

"Your pizza will be out in about 13 minutes. Here are your cups and plates." He put the cups, pizza plates and salad plates on a red tray.

"Thanks," Kazu said as he picked up the tray and went to Suzie. "Our pizza will be ready in about thirteen minutes." He set down the red tray.

"Okay," she picked up her salad plate and glass. "At least we can eat some rabbit food before then, huh?"

"Rabbit food, right," Kazu nodded. As he put a mild amount of salad mix on his plate, Suzie piled on hers. It was filled with lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, cottage cheese, beets and other salad fixings. Kazu kept a watchful eye.

'Maybe Ai was right,' he thought, 'but after she caught her she should stop. Maybe she's trying to eat and keep it down.'

"Looks good, doesn't it?" Suzie asked, licking the dressing off her thumb. She was still piling food on when Kazu went to the table to eat his salad. After seeing how much salad was on her plate, he wasn't very hungry. The thought of her being bulimic even made him sick. Suzie finally came back with a leaning tower of salad and her drink and she sat down across him. "So, how's it going with the motorcycle?" She asked while stabbing her fork into her salad.

"Huh?" he questioned.

"You said you were saving for a motorcycle too," Suzie told him and put the forkful of salad in her mouth.

"Yeah, but it blew my savings after the guitar," he shrugged. "Maybe after graduation my parents will get me one."

"Bhawt woufh beef mwhice." She commented with a mouthful.

"Pardon?" he asked, raising an eyebrow. Not only was she eating too much, she didn't have table manners either.

She chewed faster, bit one of her cherry tomatoes and said again, "that would be nice."

"Yes, it would," Kazu nodded.

The clerk came with the order of breadsticks, "here are your bread sticks and your pizza will be coming out of the oven in just a few minutes."

"Thank you!" Suzie said as she reached for one.

The clerk smiled and walked away. Suzie smiled as she bit into the breadstick, "that fast wasn't it?"

"What was?"

"The breadsticks, silly." She said, "it must be a slow day or they have a lot of help in the kitchen." She nodded to the counter.

"Yeah, probably."

"You should try one, Kazu," she pushed the basket to him. "They're great."

'At least she's sharing,' Kazu thought as he picked up a breadstick and dunked it in the sauce. Suzie finished her salad less than 10 seconds, went to get another one, but not as big and came back to eat it. She worked on the breadsticks as if there were no more tomorrow, but she was nice enough to leave Kazu the last one. The pizza came just as she finished her last bread stick. It was a 14-inch, four cheese, steaming hot pizza topped with salami, pepperoni, mushrooms, olives, onions, green peppers and sausage cut into twelve slices. Already, Suzie's mouth watered, but not to savor the pizza, only to get it into her stomach so the can throw it right back up.

"May I take your salad plates?" the clerk asked.

"No thanks," Suzie said, "I might get some later."

"I'm done with mine," Kazu handed his plate to her and she left with his plate and the breadbasket. Suzie placed two slices on her plate, shook some Parmesan cheese on her slices, folded them together and bit into them at once. "Hungry, aren't you?"

Suzie nodded and took another bite and a swallow of her soda. Actually, she didn't know how it tasted. Usually she wouldn't eat a pizza with so many toppings on it. The pizza she liked was just an ordinary cheese or a one topping. Suzie only said the supreme because it had more topping and thus there would be more to throw up. Kazu bit into his pizza slice slowly and pulled it away.

"Whath wrong Kathuuu?" she questioned with a full mouth.

"It's hot," Kazu replied, waving his hand by it.

"Not to me," she said, swallowing.

'Of course it isn't,' Kazu thought, 'it's not in your mouth long enough for the nerves to even tell.' Kazu blew on his slice and finally took a bite. He remembered how he filled himself with so much food when he was separated from the others and he found that elderly digimon couple. They were nice enough to provide him, Kenta and Rika with a good cooked meal. Kazu ate until he was too full to lift his fork. Watching Suzie now, that was the exact way he and Kenta were eating. Only neither of them didn't throw that good meal up because not only was it unhealthy, the others would've thought it as an insult.

Kazu didn't feel very hungry and he had the appetite of a horse. Suzie was eating enough for the both of them. Finished with her two slices, she grabbed two more and ate them the same way.

'It's like she's in a pizza eating contest,' Kazu thought, picking the toppings off of his pizza, 'but there is no prize.' He knew Ai wasn't lying, even though he didn't want to believe it. The truth was right here in front of him and Suzie wasn't embarrassed of eating this much in front of Kazu.

"Aren't you hungry, Kazu?" she questioned when she finished her slices.

"I am," Kazu lied.

"Kazu, are you okay?" she asked, picking up another slice.

"Yeah," he nodded and bit into his slice of pizza. He knew Suzie was going to throw up soon because she was starting to slow down. He wasn't sure how he was going to stop her, but he knew, he knew he had to make sure he didn't let her leave.

Suzie ate her last slice of pizza in three bites. "I'm a bit full."

'But you won't be for long, will you?' Kazu demanded mentally. He felt so angry that Suzie was doing this the whole time. He felt angry with Suzie; angry with her that she felt she had to do this. He was angry with himself for not noticing. But most of all, he was mad at that poor excuse for a human Chip that made her do this in the fi9rst place--he and his prissy perfect girlfriend. Kazu wanted to make them pay. It wasn't all Suzie's fault. She was naïve and lonely and just wanted to look like one of the pretty girls. She didn't know she was already pretty to begin with. If only someone had told her before that, she wouldn't be doing this to herself. Why wasn't Kazu that someone?

"Maybe we can get a box to take home," Kazu suggested, finally finishing his last slice and taking another. He looked at the remaining 5 pizzas. Suzie was going to throw up and come back to finish them, only to throw up again. Kazu was sure of it.

Suzie finished her slice, picked up her salad plate and went to the salad bar. She put a spoonful of cottage cheese and crushed pineapple on the end with a little bit of dressing and finger foods. Suzie came back while chewing on one of the baby carrots.

"Freshest salad bar I've ever seen," she commented.

'And you're letting it go to waste,' Kazu thought.

Suzie ate the rest of her finger foods and her fruit cup and cottage cheese. She sipped on her drink, wiped her mouth. Kazu knew what she had planned to do.

"I'm going to the restroom," she said, "to freshen up." But as she rose to stand, Kazu's hand clamped over hers so that she wouldn't move.

"No you're not," he muttered, his eyes on the table.

"Kazu."

Kazu raised his face, "you're not going anywhere."

Suzie bit her lip. 'He knows. Ai must've told him.'

"Ai told me, Suzie," he said, his voice low, "I didn't want to believe her and that's why I asked you out to dinner today. I had to make sure and now I know."

"What are you talking about?" she questioned.

"You know damn well what I'm talking about, Suzie Wong," Kazu said. "You thought you could hide your secret for long? It was only a matter of time until someone would find out. It's going to stop, Suzie. It's going to stop tonight."

"Kazu, mind your own business," she mumbled, pulling her hand away. "I'm just going to freshen up."

"This is my business." Kazu said, "Suzie, since when is barfing after a meal 'freshening up', huh? I know the truth and it's going to stop right now! What you're doing to yourself is unhealthy and not only that it's a major waste of food! You disgust others the way you eat. I almost got sick myself!"

"Kazu Shiota, let me go," she muttered, standing up and scooting out of the booth.

"No." Kazu said finally. He stood up and grabbed here by the arms. "I know what you're going to do and I'm not going to let you. If you're not going to stay here and eat normally, then we are going straight to the hospital and fix this."

"You're talking to me like a nutcase!" she shouted. "Like I'm…crazy or something!"

"But you are," he said. "You have a serious eating disorder Suzie. It is not right to eat until you can't eat another bite and throw it all up." He tightened his grip on her. "If you throw up, don't expect a kiss goodnight! I'm not letting you go!"

"Let me go, Kazu!" she shouted, "You're hurting my arm, let go! You can't stop me!"

"Come on, Suzie, you know this isn't right. You want to stop, I know you do."

Suzie sneered and slapped Kazu across the face. Other customers and a busboy grabbed Kazu before he tried grabbing Suzie again.

"Leave her alone, buddy," one of the male customers said.

"No, don't let her go to the bathroom!" Kazu shouted. "She's bulimic!"

Suzie turned and went to the ladies' room. Kazu struggled as the men pushed him outside.

"Let me go!" Kazu yelled, "This isn't what you think."

"Sure it isn't," the busboy said. "Get out."

"My friend has bulimia," Kazu insisted, "Didn't you see her eat? I'm telling the truth! Don't do it, Suzie! Please! Suzie! Suzie! Someone stop her!" Kazu knew Suzie wasn't going to stop. Why was he the only one that noticed how she was eating? The booth was in the corner. He felt something was very wrong and energy filled inside him. "I just wanna apologize in advance for this." He punched the busboy in the stomach and pushed him into the wall. One of the guys reached for his arm and he threw him into the door. Before someone else could stop him, Kazu knew what he had to do. He ran to the restrooms and pushed open the ladies' room door.

"Suzie! Suzie!" he shouted. "Don't do it!" He heard no noise. Not even her throwing up. No flushing. Kazu grew scared. 'I'm too late. She must've already done it.'

He walked to the stalls and saw her legs. Suzie wasn't moving. He stood frozen by the sinks. "Suzie?"

Then, he heard her sigh.

'She's okay,' he thought.

There was the sound of the flush and Suzie groaned, standing up quite slowly. She opened the door and shuffled out of the stall. Suzie looked at Kazu and before she could even say his name, her eyes rolled back and her legs gave way. Kazu's body moved on it's own and caught her before she fell to the ground.

"Suzie!" he sank to the ground with her in his arms, patting her face, "speak to me, babe!"

People charged into the restroom and took one look at Kazu. He looked up pleadingly, speaking with no voice. "Call 911," he said then spoke louder. "Call an ambulance! She needs help!" They ran out to call the emergency room and one of the woman workers came closer.

"You were telling the truth." She whispered.

"Of course I was," Kazu said. He stood up with her in his arms and went out of the restroom to wait for the ambulance.

People crowded around her, asking if she was okay and Kazu kept saying she hasn't been okay for weeks. It was only a few minutes until the ambulance came, but to Kazu it felt like an eternity.

"What happened?" the first paramedic questioned.

"She fainted," Kazu replied, trying to stay calm.

"Any idea of the cause?"

"She's bulimic," Kazu said.

The paramedic paused. "You sure, son?"

"Positive."

"What's her name?" asked the second as the first one checked her vitals.

"Suzie Wong." Kazu responded.

They put her on oxygen and loaded her onto the stretcher. Kazu followed them outside.

"Sorry son but--" said the first paramedic.

"I'm coming," Kazu said.

"You--"

"I'm coming," Kazu repeated, refusing to take 'no' as an answer.

"Please let the boy go," said the owner of the store. "He's saved her life."

"Okay, you can come."

They loaded Suzie in the back of the ambulance and Kazu both of his hands over her right hand, holding it upright.

"Hang in there, Suzie," Kazu said, "hang in there. You're going to be okay. You're brother will kill me if anything happened to you." They reached the hospital and pulled the stretcher out to the emergency room doors. Kazu followed, saying encouraging words to Suzie. One of the nurses went to Kazu and pushed him back.

"You'll have to stay out here while we work on her," she said.

"But I can't just wait," Kazu mumbled. "Can't I at least be in the room with her?"

"You can see her when she's stable," the nurse said and went to the room to join the other doctors and nurses. Kazu walked to the window and watched them put in an IV to her skinny wrist and put oxygen tubs up her nostrils. Kazu's eyes felt wet and his hands became clenched fists. He couldn't just stand here and watch this. He had to do something.

"Chip Honda," he grunted, "I'll make you pay for this." Kazu turned and left the hospital, first in a march, his hands still clenched at his sides, his eyes straightforward and his body upright. His anger rose and he walked faster until he broke into a run. He never ran harder in his life, not even in the Digiworld when he and the others were in danger and they had to avoid those data streams. Maybe he'd get Gaurdromon and have him blow up Chip's room. No. Gaurdromon already knew his partner was crazy in some ways and being asked to blow up some dude's room would be ridiculous. Kazu would take care of this personally. He stopped at a phone, looked up Chip's last name in the phonebook, said the address a few times to remember it and stormed out of the phone booth. He was going to enjoy watching Chip hurt. Kazu found Chip's home and banged on the door.

"I know you're in there, Honda!" Kazu shouted. "Open up, I want to talk to you!"

The door opened, Kazu stepped forward and then back. It wasn't Chip, instead a six year old boy. He stared up at Kazu as if he had a serious problem.

Kazu smiled, "Uh, hello, I'm look for Chip Honda."

"Chip's at his girlfriend's again," the kid said as if he had to tell people that every day.

"Oh thanks bud."

"Need an address or number?"

"I know the place," Kazu said and turned around. Kazu knew where to find Chip now. He couldn't hide from Kazu. He was going to feel the full wrath of Black War Kazumon.

Millie and Chip were on the couch listening to music and making out. There was a loud knock on the door and Chip pulled his girlfriend closer.

"Don't get it," he mumbled.

"That's probably the pizza we ordered," she said, giggling. She pecked his lips and went to answer the door. It wasn't the delivery boy, but Kazu. She smiled and put her hand on her hip. "I knew you'd be crawling back." She reached for him, forgetting her boyfriend was sitting on the couch. Kazu pushed her away.

"Get a life, Millie," Kazu grunted, "I'm not here to see you."

"What?" she demanded as Kazu stepped inside.

"You're not the pizza delivery guy," Chip said with a confused face.

"No," Kazu said, "but I'm here to deliver something still the same! You hurt her, man and I'm going to make you hurt!"

"What are you talking about?" Chip questioned.

Kazu rammed his fist into Chip's stomach, making him hunch forward and cover his stomach with his arms. Kazu hit him in the face and he fell back onto the couch. Kazu then grabbed Chip's collar and hit him in the face again.

"Kazu, stop it!" Millie exclaimed.

"Stay out of this!" Kazu shouted as he broke Chip's nose.

Chip pulled back his fist and socked Kazu in the eye. Kazu winced but didn't stop. He pulled Chip up and threw him to the ground, knocking over a lamp. Then he pinned Chip to the ground with his knees on his arms and hit him again.

"You're making a mess!" Millie yelled.

Kazu wasn't listening. He blocked everything out and focused on pummeling Chip into a pulp.

"Kazu, that's enough!"

When Chip's face was no longer handsome, but bruised, broken and bloody, Kazu grabbed him by the collar with both hands and lifted his head up.

"No more!" Chip gasped, blood trickling from his mouth, "please!"

"If you hurt now," Kazu said through clenched teeth, "just wait until Suzie's brother finds out. The guy's in martial arts and hurt a kid back in elementary school. If he wanted too, he'll break you in half!" He let go of Chip's collar and his head hit the floor with a thud. "I suggest you stay away from Henry Wong, but it won't matter. He'll hunt you down like the smelly dog you are!"

Chip let out a frightened whimper. "You're lying."

"So that's what this is about?" Millie demanded, "Suzie Wong? Wait…she had a crush on Chip, didn't she?" she let out a laugh.

Kazu stood up and sneered at Millie. "She's bulimic. Right now she's in the hospital. I know you're bulimic too." He walked over to her and she backed into the wall. "Suzie's a sweet and nice girl. It should be you in that hospital, not her."

"So Suzie couldn't handle the 'scarf and barf' solution, huh?" she grinned. "Well, I guess she's got to get used to being the fat cow that she is."

"Suzie never was a fat cow," Kazu grunted, "you just think that because you're the skinniest girl in junior high and anyone that had like an inch of meat on their bones, you considered them as over weight. You may be the skinniest girl, Millie, but you're also the lowest. If you get sick and wind up in the emergency room, don't expect any sympathy from me."

"You're such a creep, Kazu," she snarled.

"Maybe," Kazu said and nodded over to Chip, who trying to sit up, "but he's the king of all creeps." Kazu walked out of the apartment just as the pizza delivery guy was walking up.

"Hey, aren't you the guy who--" he said, pointing at Kazu.

"Yeah," Kazu said waned walked away.

****

After giving Chip his just deserts, Kazu wasn't sure where to go. The Wong's probably didn't know about Suzie's condition and he felt like he should be the one to tell him before the hospital does. Sighing, Kazu went to their home and knocked on the door. Mrs. Wong answered.

"Hello Kazu," she said and then frowned in confusion, "wait, weren't you and Suzie on a pizza date today?"

"Can I come in, Mrs. Wong?" Kazu questioned. "It's important."

Mrs. Wong nodded and stepped back.

"What happened to your eye?" she asked. "Where's Suzie?"
"I've got some bad news," Kazu said.

Henry came out of his room. "Kazu, what's going on?" He noticed his eye and walked up to him. "What happened to your eye?"

Kazu bit his lip. "It's about Suzie."

"What?"

"I tried to stop her, I really did." Kazu mumbled, "but she wouldn't listen to me."

"Kazu, you're not making any sense."

Kazu paused and Henry narrowed his eyes.

"What did you do to my little sister?" he demanded.

"I think I saved her life."

"Huh?"

"It's Suzie, man," Kazu said, tears stinging his eyes, "She's bulimic!"

Mrs. Wong gasped and Henry stared.

"You're wrong," Henry said.

"Suzie wouldn't do something like that," Henry's older sister said.

"It's true, I found out from Ai," Kazu said. "That's why we went out for pizza. I had to make sure. You should've seen her. She ate five pizza slices and three salads, not to mention more than half the breadsticks. Then when she was done eating that she said she was going to the bathroom to 'freshen up.' I tried to stop her but…she went and threw up anyway. I couldn't stop her. Now she's…in the hospital."

"I don't…I don't believe this!" Henry shouted.

"Check her room. I bet she's hiding food in there. Most bulimics do. Go on!"
"No," Henry shook his head and Lopmon walked out of Suzie's room.

"Henry, you ought to see this," She said solemnly.

Henry looked at Lopmon and back and Kazu who nodded. Henry walked into the room followed by Kazu and the other Wong family members. Lopmon flipped the covers from Suzie's bed and went underneath it. She pushed out a Tupperware container with potatoes inside. Henry gasped and knelt down.

"No. No." He found many containers of food underneath the bed. He stood up shakily and went to Suzie's closet. He found more food containers, candy bars and such in her closet and she had others in her dresser drawers. Henry stepped back and covered his mouth. His stomach turned just looking at it.

Mrs. Wong let out a small whimper. "I…never knew."

"This doesn't make any sense," the oldest Wong boy said.

{AN: Why is it that you don't know the other Wong siblings' names?!}

"Doesn't it?" Kazu demanded. "Haven't you noticed how much she eats and breakfast and dinner?"

"But I've never heard her throw up," said the oldest Wong girl.

"Yeah," Henry added, "just takes a bath every night." His eyes widened when he caught on. "Oh no…"

"See?" Kazu said.

"That's why she takes a bath every night," Henry said. "To drown out her throwing up noise. But I don't understand, why would Suzie do something like this?"

"Same reason why all bulimics do it," Kazu replied, "to lose weight."

"But Suzie was never over weight," the Wong sister said. "She had a sweet tooth but she didn't seem to care about how she looked."

"It's Chip Honda," Kazu said. "She had a crush on him, remember?"

"You mean, he's why she's doing this to herself?" Henry demanded.

"Yes. His new girlfriend is perfect. Just skin and bones. She's a bulimic too. No one is naturally thin." Kazu said. "Ai told me she's also doing it to get rid of all her bad feelings. It's a way to escape and Suzie can't stop."

"She's addicted," Mr. Wong said.

Kazu nodded.

"Where does this guy live?" Henry demanded, "I want to pay him a visit!"

"No Henry!" his mother cried.

"I already saved you the trouble," Kazu pointed to his black eye. Chip hit him but not hard enough to leave too big a bruise. It was slightly green and blue. "I beat him up pretty bad." Kazu grinned without meaning too. "Never knew I had it me."

"Why didn't you take me with you?" Henry asked.

"You can talk about this Chip guy later," Henry's older sister said. "We should see Suzie."

*****

While Henry's parents were talking to the doctors, Henry called his friends and told them about Suzie. They all came in a hurry. Kenta gasped when he saw Kazu's face.

"Kazu, what happened?" he asked.

"I uh, beat up Chip Honda," Kazu replied, he lifted up his fists, which still had Chip's blood on them. Kazu's knuckles were a bit bruised.

Kenta blinked. "Whoa! I'd hate to see how he looks. Well, I guess you don't call Black War Kazumon for nothing."

Kazu nodded, "I hope I don't have to do that for a while."

"Why would Suzie become bulimic?" Jeri wondered out loud.

"She wanted to stop," Kazu said, "she just couldn't."

Rika walked up to Henry. "Henry?"

"Rika."

Rika frowned, "I have something to tell you. It's about Suzie."

"You knew, didn't you?" he demanded with a scowl.

"No," she shook her head. "I had no idea. A few weeks ago she came to see my mom. She asked her questions about modeling. My mom even loaned her some magazines."

"Why didn't you tell me this before now?" Henry questioned.

"I'm sorry, Henry," she said, "I thought it was for some school project. At least that's what she said."

Ai and Mako came quickly. Ai pulled Kazu aside. "What happened?" she asked.

"I tried to stop her," Kazu said. "But no use. People thought I was attacking her and they pulled me away from her. Then she went to the bathroom. I had to beat them up so I can go after her."

"Looks like they hit you too," Ai said.

"No, that was from Chip."

Ai gasped, "You went to see Chip? What did you do, get in a fight?"

"Trust me, he looks worse than I do." Kazu said, "but he'll look even worse once Henry pays him a visit."

"We'd better some ice on that eye," Ai said, "and those hands. You don't want Suzie to see you like that do you?"

"I'm fine," Kazu winced.

Ai laughed and pulled on his arm. She got some ice from the ice machine, put in a box and Kazu put his fist in them.

"Okay, that feels a lot better," he said, stretching out his fingers.

"Well, I guess Chip learned his lesson," Ai said.

"Millie too. I gave her a piece of my mind."

"What did you tell her?"

"I told her that she should be the one in the hospital, not Suzie."

Ai nodded, "you're right about that. Maybe Millie will have a little compassion for others if she got a taste of her own medicine. When can we see Suzie?"

"I dunno. I haven't seen her since we came here."

"They let you ride in the ambulance with her?"

"I wasn't going to let them leave me behind," Kazu insisted.

Ai burst into tears and threw her arms around Kazu. Kazu put his arms around her in surprise.

"What?" he asked. "Suzie's going to be fine. I got to her in time."

"I know, Kazu," she sobbed, "I just want to thank you for saving my best friend. If you haven't found her when you did…"

"Let's not think about that," he pushed her back. "Suzie is going to be just fine once she starts eating well. You'll see."

"I hope so," Ai said. "But…she's been bulimic so long. It'll take a long time for her to recover."

"She'll be okay," Kazu insisted. "She's got to be."

TBC