Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Let's Make Kari Jealous ❯ Kari's Shame ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER FIVE
 
Kari was barely able to eat her dinner last night, as her guilty conscience was starting to haunt her for what she did. “Honey… you hardly ate any dinner.” her father said.
 
“Maybe you should go to bed early tonight.” her mother suggested.
 
Tai however was sensing some negative vibes in Kari's attitude. Only two things he knew could make his sister act that way. Either she was sick… or something was bothering her… and Kari looked fit as a fiddle.
 
 
Kari looked rather tired in the morning, and when the others asked why, “Oh, I just had a hard time sleeping last night, that's all.” She simply said.
 
In class however, Kari's conscience grew even worse when she saw Davis come in looking down in the dumps. That's what made her realize that Davis must've thought Leticia stood him up last night.
 
“What have I done?” she asked herself for what had to be the tenth time since last night and once again her inner voice replied with, “You lied to Leticia! You hurt Davis, and worst of all… now you're hurting yourself all the more.”
 
Kari really messed up, but she didn't know how to tell anyone, especially the others. They all thought higher of Kari than that, and Davis… well… he'd probably be steamed at her for life… if not, then eternity.
 
 
At lunch, Davis tried calling Leticia again, but still he got no answer from her. “Man… I actually thought she liked Me.” he said. “I thought I could've started something special.”
 
“We're so sorry, Davis.” Ken said. “If there's anything we can do for you… just let us know.” added TK.
 
Davis smiled slightly. “Thanks guys… but I think I'd rather handle this by myself.” he said as he got up. “Davis, aren't you going to eat?” Yolei asked.
 
“Nah… I'll eat a little later.” He said, “I've just lost my appetite, is all.”
 
The others never saw anyone looked so bummed out since Ken's trauma over letting go of his dark-side. They all wished that there was something they could do, but they didn't know exactly what was going on either.
 
Kari couldn't take this anymore… “Guys… I have to tell you something.”
 
After she finished speaking, “You did what…?!” TK snapped at her.
 
“Kari… how could you?” added Cody.
 
Kari expected that the others would raid on her like that. Even she, herself had the nerve to want to kick herself in the pants and stick gum in her hair for what she did.
 
“Kari… what ever possessed you to do such a thing?” Yolei asked.
 
Kari finally admitted, “Okay… so maybe I am jealous.” she cried, “I don't what Davis sees in her, or why he keeps hanging around with her, but he's treating her the way he used to treat me.”
 
Everyone took that as a sign, “Sounds more to us that you really like Davis.” Ken said, “And we don't mean just friends.”
 
Kari wasn't sure about that, but she did admit that she liked Davis. After all… even though at times he was obnoxious, and egotistical, he still reminded her of Tai, and all the great times they had together…
 
Also, Davis really did his share of good deeds since he became a Digi-Destined; always pressing on when the situation seemed hopeless. Some people even said that if it weren't for Davis and Veemon… the world would've been destroyed long ago.
 
“Look guys… I'm really sorry for what I've done.” Kari said.
 
“Uh Kari…” Cody said, “I think it's Davis you should be apologizing to, and Leticia. Not us.”
 
Kari knew that Cody was right, but she really didn't know how to tell this to Davis…
 
She was still thinking that when she went home, but she was surprised to find Davis there with her brother playing video games, and waiting for her to return. “Davis…?”
 
Davis looked at her with straight eyes, “Hello Kari…” he said deeply, but calmly.
The boys shut off their game, and motioned Kari to sit on the sofa.
 
Davis stood up, paced a little around the room, “I suppose you're wondering why I'm here.” He said to Kari. She nodded her head nervously, as if she already knew what he was going to say.
 
“Well…” Davis went on, “I haven't seen or heard from Leticia for a while. She hasn't been answering my phone calls either.” He paused for moment, “Well Yolei and Ken spoke with me after school…”
 
Kari quivered nervously.
 
“And… it was to my deepest shock, and my greatest disappointment; not to mention… my embarrassment… that you told Leticia that I called her a liar, and I wanted her to get lost.”
 
Tai was almost too shocked to feel anything towards his sister, “So… it is true.” Tai said.
 
Kari nodded her head sadly, and she actually admitted to Davis that she was jealous of the way he was always spending time with Leticia, and barely even noticing her and the others anymore. “I know what I did was wrong… but I just couldn't stop myself.”
 
Davis almost couldn't believe that Kari admitted she was jealous. He never even thought that she could ever feel jealousy. “Well… since that was the cause, I guess a part of me is sorry Kari.” he said to her.
 
Kari looked up, “Really…?”
 
“Oh yeah…” replied Davis, “But there's also a part of me that isn't sorry, and that part covers a lot of me.”
 
Kari winced, “What…?”
 
Davis explained to her that now she knew exactly how he felt when she always teased him by flirting with TK. “So… you did this deliberately to get back at me?” Kari asked all shocked.
 
“I don't think that matters anymore.” Tai said, “Kari… I think you're behaviour is more inexcusable than Davis'…”
 
He explained how even though Davis was partially trying to make Kari jealous, at least he was actually hanging with a girl who liked him for who he was, while Kari on the other hand purposely flirted with TK time after time to just prank Davis for her own pleasure. “And now what's worse… is you dragged Leticia into this, and you really hurt her.”
 
Kari decided that she couldn't take it anymore. She wanted to go find Leticia, and apologize for what she did, and hopefully she'd be able make up with Davis.
 
Luckily, Leticia had finally text-messaged Davis on his cell phone telling him where she was, and where to meet her. He and Kari got up and headed for the door, but not before Tai had one last thing to say to his sister.
 
“I'm ashamed of you, Kari.”