Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Magical Girl Mimi ❯ A Love Boat on Sumida River ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Lillymon: That last episode was rather freaky.

Yamato: *snort* Considering D.E. and company had more showtime than before.

SD-Mimi: [watching the last episode again and laughing] HAHA! They are SO~O~... like funny!

[SD-Yamato glares at her while SD-Lillymon sweatdrops.]

SD-K-chan: *sigh* Oh boy, how is Yamato gonna survive with Mimi after this?! I mean, now that she knows his real identity... *sigh* Anyway, Fairy Princess & Lone Wolf find themselves on a date!

SD-Yamato: *growl* It's NOT a date!



MAGICAL GIRL MIMI

written by K-chan

Episode Eight: A Love Boat on Sumida River



It was another Saturday of a few hours of class, which pretty much was just some lesson reviews, but being the usual Mimi, she couldn't concentrate on what Mitsuya-sensei was lecturing about. Her mind was constantly playing the events from the previous afternoon when Lone Wolf, or Yamato, was injured becase of her. Just because of a few words he had said to her, she finally realized that he and Lone Wolf were the same person, and Lillymon kept rubbing it in the rest of that day too. But ever since then, Mimi had been rather spacey.

She glanced back over her shoulders to the desk behind her, where Yamato would glare back at her if he was there at all. She turned back and at least tried to pay attention until school was over, but the clock became and interesting item on the white wall, and the next thing she knew, the last two hours were over.

Sora nudged Mimi's arm to wake her friend from her daze, "Hey, Mimi-chan. Are you okay?"

"Yeah, you just spaced out during the last part of class," Taichi added, "Even Mitsuya-sensei ran to out to find the school nurse for ya."

"Huh? Really?" she said, "Oh well, I was thinking..." She pointed up to the clock, "That clock is too plain. We need another one, probably in a fashionable, electric blue!" Her friends grinned, knowing their Mimi was back to normal.

"Sure," Sora shrugged, "Let's go get something to eat!"

"Yeah! Let's hit the Aqua City!" Taichi cheered, "I'm in the mood for some 'Daiba de China'!"

"No way! Remember what happened yesterday?!" she admonished, "We were swarmed by the media! And if Mimi hadn't been in costume and flew us away from there, they would've been crazier if they found out the truth!"

"But they didn't!"

"Umm, guys," Mimi interrupted them quietly, and they looked at her, "You can go ahead... I have something else to do today."

"But Mimi-chan!" Taichi panicked, "You never pass up the mall! 'sides, we can get some ice cream from 'MouMou', your favorite!"

She started to put her notebooks into her backpack and prepared to leave, "No, it's okay. You two have fun, okay? I'll see ya later." With a wave, she disappeared out the door, leaving a speechless and bewildered pair staring at the empty doorway.

"Uuh, maybe she was staring at the clock too long," Taichi uttered, "and it fried her brain cells?"

"I don't think so..." the girl said, "That sounds like your deparment." He pouted and glared at her for the insult.



Mimi stopped by the teachers' lounge/office to speak with Mitsuya-sensei before leaving the school. With the information she needed and the folder of assignments, she walked down the street in deep thought and was soon joined by Lillymon, sitting on her shoulders. Neither said anything, even though Lillymon knew it was very abnormal that Mimi was quiet for even a minute. Besides not having Sora or Taichi with them, the fairy noticed that the girl was not taking her usual walking route home. "Mimi, where are we going?"

"Huh? Oh, to see Ishida-kun." She paused, "I'm worried. I think... if he had come to class today, then everything was okay. But... he didn't show up, so I want to see if he's all right. I know you said Guardian Tamers heal fast, but I... I want to see for myself."

"I guess that's okay," she nodded, "We'll certainly need his help in the future, but really, he needs an attitude adjustment if we are to work together."

"You think so?" She looked thoughtful, "Well, I like him the way he is... but I do wish he would hang around us more. He seems so lonely by himself..."

"Mimi," Lillymon sighed, shaking her head wearily, "you're too good." She then hid herself within Mimi's hair as the girl boarded a bus. It took about fifteen or so minutes to their destination due to the lunch hour traffic on a Saturday. When they arrived at a mansion complex, Mimi checked some written words on a sheet of paper and then tucked it away, entering the building. She stepped into the elevator and pressed for the fifth floor, and Lillymon peeked out, "So this is where Ishida lives, huh?"

"Yep, and won't he be surprised," she giggled, "But I do hope he's all right." The elevator stopped on their floor, and Mimi stepped out. Seeing that no one was in sight, Lillymon flew out and searched for the apartment number.

"Over here, Mimi!" she called, pointing to the Ishida door. Mimi rang the doorbell once and waited. A minute passed by, and she tried again. She finally heard something, and the door creaked open. She smiled, seeing a sleepy-looking Yamato rubbing his eyes. "Hi, Ishida-kun!" she chirped, and his head snapped up to the visitor.

"Ta-Tachikawa," he stuttered, "Wha... What are you doing here?" He seemed a little annoyed by her unexpected presence, and then he spotted Lillymon fluttering in the open before him and stared wide-eyed at them because this was the first time that the fairy revealed herself to him in his every day identity. He then stared at a smiling Mimi, "You... know then?!"

"Of course!" Lillymon smiled proudly and then glanced wearily over at Mimi, "Except... she found out yesterday."

"Haa," Mimi giggled for no reason at all, which made Yamato sigh and he stood to the side, gesturing the two into his home. She entered and took off her shoes while her eyes roamed curiously at the small apartment. It was very plain and basically furnished, though she saw a lot of newspapers, notebooks and whatnot laying on the dining room table. She followed Yamato into the living room, and he left her there to get something to drink. She noticed a small hallway and then the balcony just by the living room.

Yamato returned and gave her a soda can, and she asked, "Ishida-kun, you live here with your father only?" He nodded, but from the expression on his face, she didn't pursue it any further. She handed him a manila folder, "It's what we did today in class. There's some homework, but it's not due until Wednesday."

"Thanks," he said quietly, putting it aside, and looked at her, "I don't think you're just here to give me homework."

"I came to see if you were all right... after yesterday..."

"I'm alive, aren't I," he said dryly.

"Hey!" Lillymon fumed, landing on the coffee table, "Mimi was just worried! If you're still gonna be this way -- after everything's out in the open between us -- then I see no point in even coming here. I can't believe I thought we could team up together against the Digimon Emperor!"

"I'm sure we can!" the brunette smiled. "Right, Ishida-kun?"

He was quiet for a bit, staring out at the balcony setting. He could work well by himself, not being burden by another, but the girl right before him held the key to the Digital World. "Fine," he answered coldly, "but I'm only helping you... because... I want to go to the Digital World."

The girl and the fairy blinked at one another, "Go to the Digital World?" And Mimi asked, "Why do you want to go there? Is it to defeat the Digimon Emperor?"

He scoffed, "I could care less about him, and it's none of your business."

"WHY YOU--!" Lillymon began, but Mimi cut in...

"It's okay. At least Ishida-kun is helping us," she said, trying to appease the fairy.

"Hey," he called, "Do... your friends know... about me? You know..."

"Oh, I haven't told them yet."

"Good."

"Why don't you want Sora-chan and Tai-chan to know? They won't tell anyone. I'm sure they'll even help us out on a few things."

"No! My secret is between you and me... and her," he said, pointing at Lillymon.

"Suit yourself," the fairy growled. "Anyway if you're up to it, we can go investigating today."

"What?" he looked up, appearing surprised, "Did you find something?"

Mimi nodded, "We sort of found another elemental point."

"The water key," Lillymon began, "We've traced the high concentration in the Sumida River, but it's so lengthy and even spread that it's hard to pinpoint where exactly."

"Sumida River..." he muttered, "Yeah, it could be anywhere. And if we're too find it before the digimons... What do you have planned?"

"It seems the keys are around the Tokyo area, so if we start from the northern part of Sumida River and search our way down. If we can run the program within the area of search, then we have a higher chance of pinpointing the place." Mimi took the clear diskette (from the first episode) and showed it to him. "We've got the program, but we need a portable computer."

"Well, I don't have one..." he said slowly, "but my friend does. He's good with computers too, so maybe he can upgrade that program too."

"Oh, that's good!" Mimi chirped, "So we'll do it tomorrow then?"

"No, we'll do it now," he said, getting up, "The sooner, the better." Lillymon nodded, agreeing with him (for once). "I'll give my friend a call." He left the room to make the phone call while the other planned what else to do, though Mimi was a little worried because Yamato was still recovering from yesterday's battle. But he looked so determined in going through with their plans, so she would be extra careful today and stay alert. Since he had made his decision, she had too, and she will protect him at all costs today.



Two hours later, a boy with dark-red hair stepped off the subway train at Tobu-Asakusa Station, which was near Sensou Temple (back in episode six), carrying a middle-size backpack with vital equipments in it. Many people were traveling around the city today, considered it being a Saturday afternoon and all, using the trains as their means of transportation. He checked his watch one more time before dashing through the crowds towards the stairway that ascended out of the subway.

He made it to the surface of Asakusa District and looked around. He was supposed to meet his friend around there, but he didn't see a familiar face among the crowds browing through the window display on the corner of Asakusa and Edo Streets. He decided to search around a bit, still keeping a close eye on the subway entrance just in case his friend appeared. He wandered over to the cheap souvenir stores, and his ears caught a high-pitched squeal that obviously belonged to a girl, "Oh! That's SO cute! I SO wanna get it! Huh, Ishida-ku~u~un! Wait up!"

"We're not here to sightsee!"

At the certain name and voice, he politely moved through the crowd to catch up to the owners of the voices until he spotted some blonde hair. "Yamato-kun!" he shouted over the people, waving his hands in the air.

Mimi and Yamato turned around and saw the boy running up to them. "Hey, Koushiro," the blonde greeted, "Sorry for keeping you waiting. A certain someone here decided to go shopping." He rolled his eyes, glancing at a blinking Mimi.

She smiled and bowed, "Izumi-kun! It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Mimi Tachikawa."

He nodded, blushing, "Yes, I've heard about you from Yamato-kun."

Lillymon peeked out from the girl's hair and gave Koushiro a look over, "Hmm, he seems dependable. I guess you'll be the brains of the group." Koushiro stared at the fairy in great awe and admiration that she was enjoying while Yamato was annoyed by her assumption that he was not intelligent. "Lillymon here!" she said, "Now let's get moving! I want to get back in time for Mimi's mother's cooking! She's making her popular Tachikawa-style Chirashi Zushi!"

"Oh yaah!" Mimi chimed in, drooling a bit, "It's gonna be SO good!! I can't wait!"

"If you can just take your mind off shopping and food for just an hour," Yamato growled, "Then the sooner we get this done."

"Okay!" She looked across the street to see if it was cleared and then grabbed Yamato's and Koushiro's arm before running across like a maniac with two boys -- a sighing Yamato and a blinking Koushiro -- trailing in the air.

"GO, MIMI, GO!!" Lillymon cheered as the girl sprinted across the grounds of Asakusa shopping streets towards the east, near the bank of Sumida River. People either stepped out of the way at the speeding girl, or was unexpectedly sent airborne, but in the end, she came to a screeching stop at Asakusa Terminal, where boats were docked in the waters, ready for the cruise tour down the long river.



<< EYE-CATCH: A smiling Mimi, in a one-piece bathing suit, is lying on a towel on the sunny beach, pulling down her sunglasses, and winks while a grumpy but blushing Yamato is sitting next to her with a bottle of lotion in hand. Sora and Taichi are playing volleyball in the background, and Lillymon and Koushiro are on his laptop not too far away. >>



Mimi and Lillymon were looking around frantically, absorbing the sights in since it was there first time to admire the river scenery in the north-eastern part of Tokyo. Yamato stood coolly beside her while Koushiro was kneeling on the ground, just reassuring himself that he was STILL alive after his first encounter with Mimi, which the blonde had been used to. After things calmed down and Yamato pulled Mimi along, they bought their tickets and boarded the boat.

Not many people were taking the tour, which was a good thing for them, so they could analyze their situation and plan. They took an empty table not too far from the entrance/exit and made themselves comfortable. The two females were glued to the windows, staring up at the lofty buildings, while Koushiro set up his laptop. Yamato snorted at seeing Mimi's childish expression and turned to his sensible friend, "Here's the program." He handed the diskette to the boy-genius as they heard the announcement that the cruise was about to begin.

Mimi squealed in delight as the boat began to move through the waters, "Waaai, this is SO cool! I've never been down Sumida River before!"

"I haven't either," Yamato said with eyes closed and arms crossed in his usual sullen mood, "but do you see me running around like a maniac?" Seeing that the computer boy was already typing away on the laptop, Lillymon flew over to Koushiro and sat on his shoulder as they chatted about the program and its function. It seemed like there was nothing else the two Guardian Tamers could do but wait and...

"Well," Mimi started, "maybe you should!" She happily grabbed his hand and dragged his unwilling self out to the deck to catch some sights and refreshing air of the river.

Koushiro briefly looked up and saw them leave through the archway and asked the fairy, "Is Mimi-kun always like that?"

"Unfortunately, yes," she nodded, sweatdropping, "But you gotta love that about her."

He smiled, "Yes... I think Yamato-kun enjoys her company too." Lillymon looked at him with an interesting expression as he explained, "He's hard to understand, but deep down... he does. He has a lot of emotions that he tries to hide and push away. I can't blame him though."

"I guess he does, but... I wish he would at least treat Mimi nicely. I mean, all she ever does is try to be friends with him, but he always insults her, is mean to her, glaring at her..."

"He was like that when I met him too," he nodded, understanding, "That day, I was being bullied, but Yamato-kun showed up and defended me. Ever since then, we stuck by each other like brothers... I began to learn a bit about him and why he behaves the way he does. You see, his parents are divorced, and that was one of the traumatic events in his life."

"What's the other traumatic event?"

"I'm not sure, but I think it had to do with his little brother. He had a little brother, but... I never met him. I never asked him either because I knew it was a VERY sensitive subject. After that, he moved to Odaiba with his father, who was reassigned to Minato-ku and Shibuya-ku."

"I see..." She glanced at the blonde out on the deck with Mimi as Koushiro turned his attention to the laptop screen.


"Ishida-kun, you should just relax!" Mimi suggested, leaning against the rail, as the breeze blew through her hair. He glared at the oblivious girl, and after a while, he gave up and leaned forward with a quiet sigh. He didn't stand near her and was still stiff in his posture. He couldn't relax because they could either be attacked any moment or would take off into battle. No, he was far from being relaxed.

He quietly glanced over to the girl, seeing that she was all smiles, and wondered how she could keep smiling and never seem frustrated, not even during a digimon fight. Maybe because she never had any problems, never had to face tragedy, never had to go through what he did... She was lucky. She was born into a fortunate life without any worries. And he envied her.

"Ne, Ishida-kun," she said softly, surprising him.

"Yeah?" he uttered.

"It's really nice out here," she whispered, "I wish... I wish this moment would never end. If the world would end tomorrow, I would still be happy. I wouldn't have any regrets." He watched her stare off into the afternoon skies, looking wistful. "But that's what we're stopping, right? Yeah... I don't want it to end just yet. There's still too many things to do." She turned to him, "You have too many things to do too, right? So whatever happens, you'll continue to go forward, okay?"

Her brown eyes gazing into his blue ones seemed to lock onto something deep inside of him, and although he wanted to shake her mesmerizing orbs away to hide himself from her, he didn't. Her expression was so gentle and delicate, like that of a porcelain doll, filled with only warmth and love. It was that feeling that eased his heart; he felt light, like he could drift away on clouds of serenity.

"Ne, Ishida-kun," her voice was so soft that it was nearly whisked away with the breeze. Her eyes were so big and round that he could drown the brown pools. "Up close like this... your eyes are such a pretty blue!" she giggled, and he blinked, realizing that she was leaning close to his face that their noses were almost touching. He panicked and fell backwards onto the deck. Mimi blinked, looking down at him, "Ishida-kun, are okay?"

"Uuh, yeah... yeah, I'm fine," he flustered. She extended a hand to him and helped him on his feet. They were quiet once more, watching the landscape ashore... until she spoke again...

"That time... on the train to Harajuku," she began, "you said you would tell me some other time." He blinked at her, trying to recall what happened on the train that time (in episode five). "I hope that you do. After all, we are friends..."

"You guys!" came Koushiro's voice. They turned around and saw Lillymon flying ahead of their human friend, who carried the laptop. "We've picked up two unidentified, moving objects in the water! They're heading upstream from Tokyo Port!"

"We've just passed under Chuoh Bridge," Yamato noted, "That means the water point is somewhere down here."

"I've analyzed the previous data, where attacks have been made on major landmarks, I've narrowed it down to two possible places from their distance and ours: Tsukiji Fish Market or Hama Rikyuu Garden."

"This fight will be tough though," Lillymon remarked seriously.

"Why do you say that?" Mimi inquired.

Yamato understood and explained, "We'll be battling over and most likely IN the water... and neither of us have the right Digital Coins for it."

Koushiro was typing away on the laptop as the boat passed under Tsukuda Bridge, "I'm still searching through the Digital World database on these digimons, but it's taking awhile to bypass the heavy security locked on the important files."

"Just do your best, Koushiro," the blonde reassured, "We'll get ready."

Thank goodness they didn't have an audience back on the deck (because the author was so nice, and grinning stupidly) but they didn't take any chances and found a rather non-visible spot near the side of the boat from any curious eyes. He rolled up his left shirt sleeve as Lillymon merged with the Digital Key. "Ishida-kun," Mimi called and grabbed his hand. He stared at her, hoping she wouldn't see his both, as she placed a Digital Coin into his hand. He looked at it and noticed which coin she had given him. He nodded, and both Guardian Tamers placed their initial Digital Coins in their slots. "I call upon the Digital Monster," she started, "PIXIMON!"

"I summon the Digital Monster... KABUTERIMON!"

"DIGITAL ASSIMILATION!" they both commanded.

Even though Koushiro had seen Yamato is his Guardian Tamer assimilations, he paused from his assignment to witness the two new transformations together for the first time. He turned back to the screen, seeing the two digimons zipping by Hama Rikyuu Garden, and their boat was just about to go under Kachidoki Bridge, the last huge bridge that was part of the Sumida River cruise. Just as the pair took off into the air, he shouted to them, "IT'S TSUKIJI MARKET! BE CAREFUL!"

They gave him a quick wave of acknowledgement before heading off into an uncertain battle. They kept their distance from each, soaring over the last bridge of the cruise, and spotted the powerful currents pushing its way towards Tsukiji Fish Market. They fired FLOWER CANNON and ELECTRO SHOCKER into the river at the waves, sending towers of water into the air.

Suddenly a mammoth, weird-looking whale -- Whamon -- exploded from the water, "TIDAL WAVE!" The cruise boat had to swerve away before the creature crushed back into the waters, creating a high tidal that rushed along the river that push against the boat and tipped over like a tsunami. Mimi gasped and flew down to the boat to find Koushiro and the people and help them to safety.

Knowing he couldn't do anything from above, Yamato switched to WEREGARURUMON and dived into the river. He held his breath for a while and searched for Whamon's whereabouts. He heard something speeding through the waters and turned around to see a missle heading right for him. He used HOWLING BLASTER, causing an explosion under water that sent him soaring backwards... just to get rammed in the back by Whamon's head. It hurt him pretty bad, considering he was still recovering from the previous injury. He clutched his wounded side as he drifted almost lifeless in the waters.

Whamon made a u-turn with the intent on giving the Guardian Tamer the final blow, but a light in the distance blinded him. A single character of 'light' by TAOMON flashed before him and smashed into the giant whale digimon, flipping it upside-down. Mimi swam towards Yamato, who was pulling himself together, and the two resurfaced to get some air.

They finally spotted the other digimon with a horn on its head -- by the name of Ikkakumon -- swimming on the water surface. He was swimming towards them very fast, and they had to take another inhalation of air before diving back down to avoid the attack. They decided to team up together against Whamon, who was slowly recovering from Mimi's last surprise attack, by splitting up and swimming around the large digimon to confuse it.

Mimi used TAOMON's TALISMAN OF LIGHT once more while Yamato shot out WEREGARURUMON's HOWLING BLASTER, but Whamon could only dodge the first attack and was hit by the second one. The girl then sought the opportunity to giga-smash the digimon. When she was about to grab the Digital Coin, she gasped and pointed behind Yamato at the oncoming Ikkakumon. The blonde was barely able to evade it in time, but the current of the water threw him off balance.

She quickly switched to WHAMON's powers, becoming a young mermaid fit for her water environment, and headed straight for an endangered Yamato as Ikkakumon sent more torpedoes directly at him. She swam as fast as she could and grabbed hold of him, escaping the missiles in time. The pair resurfaced again, but Mimi left him up there and returned to fighting Ikkakumon because she was able to stay under water longer now.

Her speed in the water matched closely against the furry digimon as he attacked her with his HARPOON TORPEDO. Although her evasion and defense in the water had increased, her offense wasn't any good at an agile water creature. While Mimi had kept up with him, Yamato swam in from no where as UNIMON and slammed into Ikkakumon. The mythical beast's agility and strength helped boosted Yamato's powers in his difficult surroundings, and he didn't waste any time to giga-punch the digimon.

The battle was finally over as he grabbed the Digital Coin, but the next thing he knew... Mimi had thrown herself at him, wrapping her arms around his neck, as she embraced him. But she hugged him a little too tight, and he flinched from the pain in his side, and she pulled back. She looked at him apologetically and mouthed, 'I'm sorry'. He smiled faintly, which surprised her, and shook his head. He then pointed upwards to the surface, and she nodded. Without noticing that they were holding hands, the two swam up.

When their heads were out of the water, they could speak once again, but for some reason, they didn't. Mimi suddenly burst into fits of giggles as Yamato raised an eyebrow at her surprising reaction, "What's so funny?" She couldn't stop giggling as she patted his head, more specifically his wet, flattened, blonde hair. He glared at her, but he really couldn't get angry because he knew he looked weird at that moment. He just shook his head and head to western bank, where he saw Koushiro waiting eagerly for them, and a giggling Mimi followed.


TO BE CONTINUED...


Lillymon: Oh no! This is NOT good! Ishida's come down with a cold, and he's stuck in bed!

SD-Mimi: [starts to panick as she sniffles] NO~O~O~ *sneeze* O~O~!! ISHIDA... *sneeze* -KUN!

Taichi: Mimi-chan, you're getting sick!

Mimi: But... *sniffle* Ishida-kun... he's... *sneeze*

Sora: [hands her a tissue] Yes, we know. But you have to take care of yourself first.

Lillymon: I don't know how that'll happen. She seems pretty helpless when she's sick. [thinking] I SO have a bad feeling... The Digimon Emperor has something up his sleeves after this... Mimi, just make sure you keep the Digital Key safe.