Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Should Life be Cruel, or Good? ❯ Race Against Time! ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

CHAPTER FIVE
 
 
Meanwhile back at Noodle Corp…Davis was roaring like a tiger. “I can't believe it!” He thundered. “I just don't believe it! If my Briefcase is gone I, I'll…!”
 
“Daddy, Daddy calm down!” cried Musuko who had come from school. His father finally calmed down.
 
Davis had been so angry that his briefcase was gone, that he could barely think straight. He even fired three employees without with out realizing it.
 
“You're right son. Being angry won't get it back to me.” Davis paced around the room. “I just wonder where it is”.
 
Suddenly, the intercom on Davis' desk beeped. He walked to his desk and pushed the button. “Yes what is it Misty?” he asked.
 
“Sir everyone has left the building for home, and there's one last person here to see you!” said the woman over the speaker.
 
“Not tonight Misty, tell whoever it is I'm not in the mood!” Said Davis. “But Sir this woman and her son have brought you your briefcase back”.
 
Davis snapped up in excitement. “In that case show them in at once!” he said; “Yes sir, right away Sir and good night.” “Good night Misty”.
 
The elevator door burst wide open in Davis office, and he almost threw up. “KARI, YOU…I should have know!” he roared.
 
Koji hid behind his mother who had anger blazing through her eyes. “THAT'S ENOUGH DAVIS”! She snarled at him. “I came here to not only give you back your briefcase, but I'm going to do something I should have a long time ago.”
 
Davis just turned around. “Well go find someone who cares, because I don't!” he yelled at her.
 
The two young boys couldn't believe this. Their respective parents arguing with each other. Who was going to walk away with it all?
Davis spoke in a sad voice. “Why don't you just leave me alone Kari? Go back to your perfect husband and the great life you created”.
 
“But Davis I…”
 
“No!”
 
His voice was so loud; it made the papers on the desk slide off. “I've had enough off this chaos and madness!” he roared.
 
“This job cost me everything I had! My parents, my sister, Veemon, and worst of all it caused me to adopt a child!”
 
Musuko's eyes widened when he heard those words.
 
“Well I've had enough of it; I'm getting rid of this building and my troubles. Jacob, prepare for detonation!”
 
But to Davis' surprise his son just stood there with tears in his eyes. “So its true,” he sobbed “I'm not your true son”.
 
Davis winced at what he had just said, he told his son the truth. “Musuko, I didn't mean…”
 
“No, leave me alone!” cried his son running to Kari's side.
 
“Now you've done it Davis,” she snapped at him. Davis just regained his anger. “No Kari, look what you did!”
 
Kari looked up in shock; she had forgotten that in the end it was really she who had caused this misery for them both.
 
“My mind is still made up, I'm blowing this dump...Right NOW!” growled Davis, he took out a key card from his pocket, walked over to his desk, and put it in a slot with a timer above it.
 
Red lights started to dance around the room, the alarm was going off, and a computerized voice cried out…
 
“Beginning self-destruction sequence”… and the Timer stared to countdown…they had 5 minutes, and counting.
 
At the moment Davis withdrew his card, he tore off like a bolt of lightning, in hopes of escaping!
 
* * *
After Davis had exited the room, Koji was running around scared as a dog. “We've got to get out of here before this building explodes!” he cried.
 
He tried to reach for the elevator buttons. “It's no use son.” Cried Kari. “We can't use the elevators when the Self-destruct system is operating”.
 
Musuko looked up at her. “How do you know that Ms. Kamiya?” he asked, “There's no time to explain boys; we have to stop that system from blowing up”.
 
“I'll go smash the control panel,” said Koji, but Kari grabbed him in an instant, “Don't do it,” she snapped
 
“That bomb is so perfectly placed, that the short circuiting of the wires would cause it to detonate. When and if it does, it'll blow the building into a million pieces, and spread poisonous gas over a large area”.
 
The boys were scared out of their pants, and now they had no time to escape and get clear. The only way out was stop the system.
 
“…But Daddy's keycard is the only way to stop it, and he's way down there.” Said Jacob, he pointed to the security screens and showed that Davis was running down the floors of the building.
 
“There's 40 floors in the whole building,” said Kari, “We can still catch him”. She then turned to the boys.
 
“Koji, keep an eye on these screens and tell me where he is, and Musuko try to get the elevators moving”.
 
“But how?” said the confused boy, Kari handed him the blue prints from Davis' brief case, and Musuko immediately got to work.
 
“Mommy, what are you going to do?” asked Koji, but when he turned around he saw his mother was gone.
 
“Hey, look there!” cried Musuko, seated at the desk... Koji looked at the screen and saw his mother running down the corridors, to try and catch Davis before he escaped.
 
“Ms. Kamiya where are you?” cried Musuko, “I'll come down and help you”. But over the video screen, Kari said while running.
 
“No don't; your father's going too fast. Get the elevators working; I have to cut him off!”
 
Musuko was only staring at the keyboard, “But Ms. Kamiya, I don't know how to work this; I'm only a preschool boy!”
 
“Don't worry I'll help you out.” Puffed Kari “Press K-A-R-I, and then Enter!” Musuko obeyed his ex-teacher, “Now what?”
 
“Click on the instruction-Manuel, and then the elevator!” Musuko did as told, and the system was operating. “Ms. Kamiya I did it, the elevators are online again.”
 
“Good boy!” said Kari, “Now Koji, where should I go now?” Her son looked at the computer screen that was viewing Davis.
 
“It doesn't look good Mommy.” He cried, “It looks like Mr. Motomiya has already reached the 20th floor. Go right, then into the open elevator, it'll take you right to the ground-floor.”
 
“Don't Ms. Kamiya; I'll do my best to slow down my Daddy for you.” Said Jacob, “Good thinking boys”. Said Kari.
 
“Move it Ms. Kamiya; we need that keycard!” cried Jacob, “Okay Daddy it's time for you to pay your fee”. He mocked.
 
* * *
 
“Danger; Self-destruction sequence activated” cried the computer, they had 2 minutes, and counting.
Davis thinking he had won his escape, was running down the corridors of the 15th floor, and then…
 
WHAM!!!
 
He ran smack into an emergency doors that Musuko had put down in front of him, and fell on his back.
 
* * *
 
“Whoa, good shot Musuko” said Koji watching the screen “Ooh, Daddy fall down go boom!” mocked Musuko.
 
* * *
 
Davis just used his keycard in the slot at the door; it opened up, allowing him to continue running.
 
While Kari's elevator had almost made it to the ground floor.
 
Davis was on the 5th floor, and was running down the stairs… “You hoo, Mr. Motomiya?” called Koji over the security camera. Davis looked up… “Now Musuko!”
 
Musuko pressed a blue button, and the staircase Davis was standing on pushed him upwards, back to the 10th floor.
 
“Don't you just hate me?” mocked his son.
 
* * *
 
“Danger; Self-destruction sequence Imminent” cried the computer…the building would explode in 1 minute, and counting.
 
Somehow or other, Davis made it to the exit, his clothes were drenched with his sweat from running all this way.
 
“Yes; there's the door”. He said to him, “I am…” Kari stepped in front of him, “…a dead duck!”
 
Davis tried to get past but Kari wouldn't let him go. “I'm not letting you get away this time Davis!” she cried.
 
Davis just laughed; “So what Kari, it doesn't make a difference!” he growled “In a few more seconds this buildings going to go sky high, and us with it!”
 
Kari looked at the timer…only 45 seconds remained, Davis was right. It was too late to escape and get clear.
 
“Alright Davis; you win” said Kari with tears in her eyes, “But before we die, I just want to tell you something.”
 
“And what's that?” asked Davis, and to his surprise, Kari had placed her lips on his. Even though Davis took it by surprise, it was enough to make him realize, that he did have a chance with her after all.
 
When Kari and Davis broke free, he clutched his head, not in shock, but realization. “WHAT HAVE I DONE!” he cried out loud.
 
“Daddy!!!” cried his son over the intercom.
 
“The boys!” Shrieked Kari, “They're still in my office!” added Davis! The boys were still on the 40th floor
 
“Daddy Only 30 seconds left” Cried Musuko.
 
“He's right,” cried Kari, “We'll never make it in time”. “We can't, but my keycard can.” said Davis.
 
Kari didn't quite understand, but Davis just sent the card up through one of the file tubes, and the Card was on its way back to Davis' office.
 
“Alright boys listen up!” said Davis into the camera, “My card will take 20 seconds to get there. Once it gets there, Koji you pass it to Musuko, and son, put it in the slot!”
 
“Okay Daddy”, “Yes Sir” said the boys.
 
15 seconds left, and the card made it to the 40th floor. “Hurry, Hurry!!” cried Kari and Davis at the same time. Davis checked the timer. “Oh no, just 10 seconds left” he Davis.
 
9…8…7…6
 
The card popped up through the tube in Davis' office. Koji grabbed the Card, and tossed it “OKAY MUSUKO…CATCH” he cried.
 
5…4…3.
 
Musuko caught the card, and jumped towards the control box with the card in his hand, “NO!” he cried
 
2…1
 
The card went in the slot…Just in time. “Self-destruction program deactivated. Thank you, and have a nice day.” Said the computer.
 
* * *
 
The building stopped rumbling, the alarms ceased. The red lights went away, and the timer went back to 5 minutes. They made it.
 
The fainted from relief in the office, and Kari had fainted into Davis' arms. When she woke up, she found herself staring into his eyes.
 
“Davis” she whispered. “Did we make it?”
 
Davis helped her on her feet and smiled. “We did it Kari; we're going to be fine.” Kari saw that Davis wasn't running away from her this time.
 
Instead he was smiling at her, and he said. “Kari; I'm sorry for what I've put you through, can you forgive me?”
 
His only response was, Kari placing her lips on his again, he started kissing back, this time neither one of them wanted to break away.