Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Sins of the Innocent ❯ Depart for Destiny ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I state no claim to the popular anime Digimon. I'm merely writing a fan fictional story using the characters. I do, however, claim the plot and ask that no one write a sequel or story dealing with this particular piece of work without my consent. Thank you-

Sins of the Innocent

By: Ssj_hotaru

Depart for Destiny

Sora thought things through silently, watching Mimi stare into the fire though she was almost positive she wasn't looking at the flames. She wanted to ask her a question but Mimi looked so depressed that she wasn't sure how she'd take the gentle inquiry. Sora thought about the time they'd spent together and the heart to heart talks they used to have when no one else was around and thought that maybe a little girl talk would soften her up enough to answer a few prying questions.

Sora took a deep breath and plastered a smile on her face. "Hey Mimi."

"Hmm?" Mimi asked, blinking and looking up at her.

"Remember before all this stuff, how we used to lay awake sometimes and whisper to each other when we thought that no one could hear?"

"Yeah…?" Mimi answered wearily, eyes shifting restlessly as if not quite trusting Sora's sideways approach.

"Well, how about we catch up on some chitchat, what do you say?" She asked eagerly, hoping that she would agree even though Mimi's nervy manner had hurt her feelings.

"I…guess it wouldn't hurt." She hesitated, as if unsure if such a thing would be safe.

"Okay then, I'll start." Sora leaned forward, staring intently into her friends eyes. "Out of the boys, who do you like the most?" Mimi blinked in puzzlement.

"Who do I like… Well, to be perfectly honest, I'd never even thought about it that way." She said, placing her forefinger on her chin thoughtfully. "I guess I used to like Taichi, but he's just a friend, Koushiro's kinda cute but…I'm sure you can understand that he's not exactly my type and Jyou…Well, Jyou's just Jyou, he's like my big brother. I suppose I don't really like anyone." She admitted shrugging.

"Oh…" Sora sighed. Looking into the flames she started to think about who she liked and a light blush stained her cheeks. Mimi didn't miss a detail.

"What about you Sora, who do you like?" Sora looked up at Mimi in shock, then guiltily looked towards the brown haired boy sleeping with his back against a tree. Her face turned a few shades redder.

"N-no-nobody." She stuttered, looking away from Taichi to stare at her shoes.

"Oh right! Like I'm that clueless! I'm not blind Sora, I see the way you're always looking at him, and just now you were blushing." Mimi pointed at her smiling. "You still are."

Sora's blush cooled instantly when she realized something. "What about Matt, Mimi? You didn't mention him, when he was here you were always looking at him and trying to stay by him and you agreed with him even when nobody else did!" Mimi's eyes widened in shock. Did I really do that? Well, maybe…

"So do you like him or not?" Sora asked, eager to know the answer since she believed Mimi's reaction was suspicious.

"I don't know, maybe…" She was interrupted by the whisper of a harmonica. She looked out towards the lake where she could scarcely see the shadowy figure of Matt sitting on the shore.

"Why don't you go find out." She said smiling, "I'll take over your watch." Mimi's eyes filled with tears at how understanding her friend was and she pulled Sora in to a tight hug.

"Oh Sora, you're the best!" She returned the hug with a smile before pulling away and holding her at arms length.

"Go tell him how you feel Mimi." She whispered softly. Mimi blinked at her in confusion.

"What do you mean Sora? I don't even know if I feel for him like that." Sora's smile stretched tighter across her face.

"Just say what comes to heart, if you do, then you'll know."

"Oh Sora!" She sobbed again and pulled her back into a hug. They separated a few minutes later and Mimi wiped away a tear.

"You'd better go now, before he slips away again." Sora said, turning her towards the lake. Mimi stood and started to walk in that direction, but stopped to look back at Sora.

"Thanks for the tips Sora, but you really should follow your own advice." Then she turned and ran through the trees down to the lake. Sora glanced over at Taichi's sleeping figure again and sighed. If only it were that simple.

For the first time she realized that Palmon and Byomon had heard the conversation. She looked down at the little plantlike digimon and suddenly got the feeling that Mimi wouldn't be coming back. "Palmon, I think you better go with her."

"Why? Is something wrong?"

"No, I…just have this feeling." She answered staring down at the two shadows sitting together on the shore and smiled as the music stopped. Palmon nodded and slowly turned to follow after her, leaving Sora by the fire with her question unanswered.

*****

Mimi walked nervously up behind Matt. His back was facing her again as he played softly on his harmonica but she thought that he knew she was there. She tapped him on the shoulder and he turned his head just enough so that he could see her, though he never stopped playing. The music became softer and took on the old tune that she used to lay awake and listen to before Myotismon and the DarkMasters. She sat down beside him and started to hum along as she got lost in the music. He played one last drawn out note before replacing the instrument in his pocket and turned to her with a small smile.

"I'd hoped you would come." He said, looking her in the eyes. Mimi gulped and nodded dumbly, lost in his sapphire depths. "Anyways," Matt went on, his smile fading as he looked away to stare out across the water. "Mimi, since you're the only one who knows that I've been following you guys, I thought that maybe I should tell you that…" He paused as if unsure of what or how to say something.

"That…?" Mimi prodded, both afraid and anxious to hear what he was going to say.

"That… I've decided to move on!" Mimi's eyes widened and she gasped in dismay. "How can I accomplish anything," He continued sadly, almost if he was trying to convince himself aswell as her. "if I'm constantly trailing after you guys."

Mimi glance shyly over at Matt and force a smile. "I know exactly how you feel." She said, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder as he turned to look at her.

"You do?" Mimi's smile faded at the vulnerability she heard in his voice, she turned away to gaze up at the moon achingly.

"Yeah, I've been feeling the same way lately, It's the same way I felt when I tried to break off from the group the first time. I tried to do it on my own, but everyone seems to think I can't take care of myself and I want so hard to prove them wrong!" She looked back down at the water and her voice lost it's strength "No one wants to give me the chance though. I want to show them that I can be caring like Sora, I tried Matt, I really did, but I was still selfish!" Tears started to fill her eyes and she blinked to try to clear her blurry vision.

"Sora's so nice and everyone likes her. She's caring and she never thinks about herself, not like me." A tear fell from her eye to trailed down her cheek despite her best efforts and she furiously wiped it away with her hand.

"Hey Mimi, don't cry." He said softly, cupping her chin in one hand and lifting her face so that the moonlight poured over her. Another tear escaped and Matt wiped it away with a gloved thumb. "You shouldn't cry over something like that, you'll never be like Sora because you're someone special already. You're Mimi! You have your own place and destiny." She closed her eyes and smiled secretly. Matt's right She thought I have my own destiny. Then all thoughts were banished when, from nowhere, she heard a soft, feminine voice.

:Go with him: It whispered softly, yet somehow she heard it just as clearly as if someone had screamed it.

Her eyes opened and she looked at Matt stubbornly. "I'm coming with you!" She declared. His hand snapped back from her face as if it had been burned and he opened his mouth to object but he couldn't seem to come up with an argument though he knew there was an ample supply somewhere. It's like I want her to come with me, He thought curiously. Maybe I do? I really don't want to be alone anymore and this could be my destiny.

He looked back into Mimi's soft brown eyes and smiled. "It'll be dangerous." Mimi smiled back, both not noticing when Palmon walked up.

"I know." She answered.

"You sure you're up to it?" Mimi arched an eyebrow.

"We'll just have to see."

Matt stood to helped Mimi to her feet and they both walked towards the place where Gabumon was watching over the camp, Palmon trailing quietly behind.

Unknown to them, a pair of ice blue eyes were watching from behind a tree, the corner of a mouth turned up in a smirk to expose one long, sharp fang. :You can not escape now, children of Sincerity and Friendship, you will fulfil your destinies!: