Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Taking Over Me ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Taking Over Me

By Sailor Red

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~

It was nearly four in the afternoon and Taichi Yagami felt insanity creep up on him. He was supposed to hear from them today. The phone should have rung an hour ago, and Taichi could barely contain himself anymore. This was a phone call that could change his life! How could they make him wait like this?

"Tai!" Taichi nearly fell off of his chair at the sudden noise. It was Hikari's voice that had startled him. "Tai, there's mail for you!"

"It can wait!" Taichi responded and went back to watching the phone, tapping his fingers nervously on his lap. He heard Hikari sigh from the doorway.

"Alright nii-chan, but I thought you were waiting for this. . . It's from Ireland. . ." Hikari didn't get to finish as her brother ripped the letter out of her hand. She giggled at his mutterings of "They said they were going to call . . . making me wait like this . . ." as he ripped open the letter and started reading its contents.

"We regret to inform you . . ." Taichi read the first line, his heart sinking, his hand dropping to his side. Hikari took it out of his hand and read it, then looked at her brother, eyes glittering.

"Ne, Tai . . .read the rest." Taichi looked at her sister quizzically and took the letter from her, reading:

~*~*~*~*~

"Mr. Yagami,

We regret to inform you that there are no longer any open positions in our intern-coaching program this year. However, we have viewed the tape that was sent with your application, and would like to offer you a position on our team. Should you wish to join us, please reply to the number at the bottom of this letter. We eagerly await your response.

Coach O'Donnell"

~*~*~*~*~

Taichi's hands shook violently as he read the letter again. He dropped the letter after he had read it a third time, and Hikari stared at him, grinning from ear to ear.

"I guess you'll be moving then . . ." Taichi nodded dumbly, picked up the letter, and walked to the phone.

Hikari dropped her smile when her brother left the room. She was happy for him, she was, but . . .

She yanked her cell phone out of her pocket and started dialing. I have to tell him! He's got to know now! Hikari felt tears sting her eyes. As much as she wanted to be happy for her brother, the selfish part of her didn't want him to leave. If anyone might be able to talk him out of it . . ."

"Ishida residence!"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~

"S-say that again, Kari?" Yamato's heart caught in his throat and he tried to steady his breathing.

"I think Tai's going to move to Ireland," she whispered. "He had applied for an intern coaching job over there. It was supposed to be a weeklong thing! Now they're offering a position on the team to him! I mean, it's great for him, but . . ." Hikari choked back a sob.

"Matt, I don't want him to go . . ." Yamato sighed.

"Kari, I think we should be happy for him. It's his dream, after all. Besides, how long can he possibly be gone?"

Hikari didn't get a chance to answer as Taichi came running into the room and squeezed her. He was grinning ear to ear, and said, so loud half the block could probably hear him:

"They want to give me a five year contract!! All I have to do is get there by Friday!!!" he looked at the calendar. "I need to pack! I only have four days!"

With that, he ran to his room and the sounds of things being thrown around echoed throughout the house.

Yamato and Hikari stood dumbfounded, devastated, both clutching their phones with white knuckles.

"Five years?!"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~

Yamato barely knocked on the door to the Yagami house: Hikari was standing by it and opened it at the first sound made from outside.

"Where is he?" he asked, breathless. Yamato had just run all the way from his house. He had to talk to Taichi. There was no way he was going to let that man walk out of his life for five years. What would he do without him!?

"He's in his room . . . Matt, I think you should calm down a little first. Have a glass of water or something." Hikari touched his arm gently, her eyes rimmed with tears. ". . . besides, you don't want to go and say anything you might . . . regret." Yamato took a deep breath and sighed.

"All right."

Hikari knew one of Yamato's deepest secrets: the only secret he couldn't confide to Taichi. It was the one thing he had been holding from the spiky haired digidestined. It was a piece of information that Hikari had called him on not even a week ago.

She knew that Yamato was gay. Not only that, he was in love with her older brother.

This was not the time to let Taichi in on that piece of information. Yamato had to remain cool and casual about this situation. He had to talk to Taichi rationally. If not, he may lose him, not for five years, but forever. He had to think. He had to . . ."

"Hey Matt! What are you doing here?" Taichi came up behind Yamato, and Yamato's eyes went wide. He regained his composure and turned around to face the other boy.

"Kari called me and told me about your soccer contract."

Taichi's face fell. Something in Yamato's eyes wasn't right. He looked upset, almost defeated. What was wrong with him? Wasn't he happy for him?

"What's wrong?" Yamato sighed.

"Don't you think it's a little weird that this team sees one tape and offers you a contract? I mean, what team would do that?" Taichi smiled. So Yamato just thought he was getting conned. He was just concerned about Taichi getting his hopes up!

"Yeah, I did. That's why I called them. I couldn't believe it! I send in a tape for an intern position and get a place on the team? It just didn't make any sense! So then they told me that the tape isn't only what sparked their interest. They then took it upon themselves to check on my team stats throughout school and my town scores, and, well, the rest is history. They really want me Matt! Besides, I'm 18 now, it's a dream come true, and I'm going! I just have to!" Taichi was grinning like the Cheshire cat, while that same cat that was making Taichi so happy was clawing out Yamato's heart. He couldn't tell Taichi not to follow his dream. How could he suggest something, anything that would make him unhappy?

"Taichi . . ." Yamato sighed, and then stuffed his hands in his pockets. Taichi looked at him in confusion.

"What's with the full name? Aren't you happy for me?" Yamato's head shot up.

"Of course I am! It's just . . ." Hikari put her hand on Yamato's shoulder and the blonde tensed up. 'I'm not going to do anything stupid, Kari' he thought, shrugging her hand off of him. "It's just that I'm going to miss you man. Five years is a long time." Taichi's eyes softened and he smiled gently.

"I'm going to miss you too, Yama." Yamato jumped slightly and involuntarily: Taichi rarely referred to him as "Yama." He had only used the nickname once before, and that was to comfort him after one of his friends from elementary school had died.

Taichi then did something Yamato really didn't expect. He threw his arms around the blonde and held him tightly, tears falling from his eyes.

"It's my dream, Yama." Taichi whispered into his ear. "This is a once in a lifetime thing. I have to go." The brunette squeezed a little tighter, and then released Yamato, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"Tai?" Yamato asked questioningly, seeing the tears in the other boy's eyes. He felt tears sting his own. Taichi smiled.

"I love you, Yama." Yamato's eyes widened and his heart pounded. He was about to reply, however, Taichi continued. "You're my best friend."

Yamato felt that he'd been punched in the stomach. He forced the bile in his throat down and the smile on his face forward.

"I'll see you then." The holder of the crest of friendship then turned and walked out the door. He ran once he got outside, stopping only to vomit into the bushes. Taichi had left him with the cruelest parting words possible. Yamato didn't even try to stop his tears as he walked the rest of the way home.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~

"Wow, everyone's here! I'm impressed!" The entire digidestined team was gathered in the airport, some with tears in their eyes, some feigning cheer, and some just smiling politely.

"Not everyone." Taichi looked to Takeru, who was standing with his arms crossed. "I can't believe Matt didn't show up. He's your best friend!"

"It's okay, T.K. I'm sure he has a reason." Taichi faked a smile. Why wasn't Yamato here? Taichi's heart fell. He needed to say goodbye to Yamato. More than anyone, the sapphire-eyed boy was the one person he needed here right now. There was no way he could leave without . . .

"Hold the plane!" Taichi turned to the direction of the familiar voice and smiled broadly. Yamato.

The blonde ran up to the group and sighed in relief. Thank god. He thought he was going to miss him. He smiled and handed Taichi a small package.

"Had to get you a going away present." Taichi shook his head.

"You really didn't have to, Matt. I'm just glad you're here." Yamato smiled.

"Whatever. Just open it." Taichi shrugged and quickly unwrapped the gift. He looked at it questioningly as he realized that it was some sort of jewelry. Smiling, he opened the box and gasped. Inside was a Celtic cross necklace.

"Matt!" Taichi stared at Yamato, tears forming in his eyes. Yamato grinned.

"It's to protect you while you're away, and a reminder so you don't forget your friends here. Make sure you come back in one piece." Taichi put the necklace on and gave Yamato a hug, whispering in his ear:

"I could never forget you, Yama, never. Thank you so much for everything."

Yamato whispered back:

"Don't talk like you're dying, Tai!"

"Leaving you right now, part of me is dying."

Yamato gasped and Taichi released him from his hold, trying to act as natural as possible. The blonde boy just stood in complete shock as Taichi waved goodbye and started running to his gate, smiling and crying simultaneously.

"Matt? Hello? Earth to Matt?" Jyou said loudly, poking the younger boy in the arm. Yamato jumped a little and stared at the doctor-to-be. He was about to say something when Hikari jumped in.

"Leave him alone!" Yamato cringed at Hikari's words. 'Leave him alone,' huh? 'No, Jyou, don't leave me alone. None of you can leave me alone. Otherwise, I may just die here.'

With that thought, Yamato walked away, stone faced. Everything hurt, but the numbness set in. It was going to be a long five years. A long, lonely, five years.

Little did Yamato know, his future reunion with Taichi was going to hurt a lot more than the wait to see him again. . .

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~

TBC

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~

A.N. Hope you like! This is my first Digimon fic, so reviewing is greatly appreciated!!

Ja ne!

Sailor Red