Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Taking Over Me ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Taking Over Me

Chapter 2

By Sailor Red

A.N. Wow! I posted chapter one at 11pm yesterday, only to wake up at 7am and find out that I already have four reviews! You guys are awesome! Thanks so much!

Disclaimer: (which I forgot last chapter -_-6) I don't own Digimon, no surprise there. I never will own it. Oh well.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~

5 Years Later

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~

Yamato tapped his pencil on his desk, sighing. Usually, this was one of his favorite classes, as much as he hated to admit it. Today, however, he hated it. He just wanted to be out of school. College was great and everything, it really was, but all he had in mind was that today was the end of Soccer season. Ireland was up against Spain tonight for the world cup, which meant Taichi was coming back soon. 'After all these years' Yamato thought sadly. 'I hope he remembers me.'

"Turn to page 76, the poem entitled "Taking Over Me." You'll need to give me the meaning of this poem on Monday, and if you answer doesn't include either "obsession" or "unrequited love," you fail." The teacher laughed. "Make sure it's at least half a page, people!" Yamato groaned.

If this assignment wasn't just perfect, he didn't know what was.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~

Yamato lay on his bed, thinking. He had just gotten off the phone with Hikari, and despite her nagging, refused to go and watch the game with her and the rest of the group. He hadn't watched a single game since Taichi had left; he couldn't bring himself to look at the boy. It hurt too much.

He missed Taichi terribly. He had done many things over the course of the past five years that he wouldn't have done if Taichi were around. Some of these things were good, productive activities, such as going to college. Others were bad, involving him having at least a dozen pointless relationships. Anything to keep his mind off of Tai was something he would do, gladly.

The second he started thinking about the brown haired man, he shut himself down, closed himself to the world. When that happened, no one could talk to him. He wouldn't respond.

Of course everyone missed Taichi, and Yamato realized this at some point and snapped out of his gloom. He just couldn't willingly look at the boy.

He would not watch the games. He would not look at old pictures. He would definitely not go over to the Yagami house for a party. He sighed as the phone rang.

"Are you watching the game?" The breathless voice over the phone made Yamato's heart skid to a halt. It couldn't be!

"Tai?!" he could practically hear Taichi grin over the phone.

"I only got a couple of seconds. Kari called before the game and told me you weren't watching. I need your support, man! C'mon! Crap, I have to go. Turn on the TV already!" The phone clicked off and Yamato clicked his TV on.

"What's this? Is Yagami on the phone? He'd better get back out there!" Yamato watched as the boy ran to the field and gave his teammates a nod. One of them smiled, and the game resumed. The score was tied with only seconds left. Taichi ran up the field, and at the last possible second, slammed the ball towards the goal.

"Goal! Yagami does it again! The cup belongs to Ireland!"

Yamato felt himself smile, the first genuine smile he had worn on his face for years. He was about to click off the television when a reporter came running up to Taichi.

"What are you going to do now?" Taichi looked at the reporter and smiled broadly.

"I'm taking a year off. I've got family and friends back in Japan that I'm dying to see and talk to." Yamato felt tears come to his eyes. Taichi was . . .

Taichi smiled into the camera and made a victory sign with his hand.

"Guys, I'm coming home!"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~

"But Kari, I'm missing my poetry class! The professor is going to kill me!" Hikari just grinned and attempted to drag Yamato up the sidewalk. Yamato rolled his eyes. "You don't have to drag me. Where are we going?"

"The park!" She beamed. Yamato frowned.

"Why are we going there? You know, my professor embarrasses us when we hand in an assignment late! He makes us drag a friend into class and has us read our homework to them. It sucks!" Hikari sighed and shook her head.

"This is worth it! Close your eyes."

"What?"

"Close your eyes, or I'll blindfold you!" Yamato sighed and closed his eyes. He trusted the young woman, but sometimes she infuriated him. She was a lot like her older brother.

"Wait here for a sec." A minute passed and he heard her voice again. "Alright, open them." Yamato opened his eyes and glared at the young girl, the most annoyed look possible on his face. She giggled and motioned for him to turn around. Yamato huffed and made a 180.

He nearly fell over.

About twenty feet in front of him were Jyou, Koushiro, Takeru, Ken, Iori, Miyako, Mimi, Sora, and Daisuke, sitting on a picnic blanket and chatting loudly. Standing up, leaning against a tree, and staring straight at him with a grin was Taichi, looking for all the world like the cat that ate the canary.

Yamato looked back at Hikari to thank her, only to see her mouth out:

"Watch out!" The blonde haired boy whipped around and was met face to face with a mischievously smiling Taichi holding the biggest, most heavy-duty squirt gun he had ever seen. Yamato's eyes widened as Taichi pulled the trigger.

"Yagami! I'm going to kill you!" Yamato screamed and chased after the boy, only to be hosed down the second he caught up. Taichi laughed.

"Miss me?"

"Baka!"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~

Hikari looked at Yamato and giggled. "Well, looks like you're not going to school today!" Yamato glared at her and plopped on the grass.

"School?" Taichi asked curiously. "Matt?" Yamato looked at his attacker as he wrung water out of his shirt.

"Yeah. College. I've been going for a couple of years now. Two more and I'm a psychologist. Gotta love it." Taichi stared at his friend.

"Psychologist?! What happened to your music?" Yamato frowned.

"We don't all get to live our dreams, Taichi." Taichi winced at Yamato's tone. Yamato sighed and turned to Hikari. "Hey, Kari, since you got me in this school mess, are you going to come in with me tomorrow?" Hikari dropped her head.

"I have to take the cat to the vet for mom." Yamato frowned and looked around the group. Everyone was shaking his or her heads.

"I'll go, Matt!" Yamato jumped. "What do I have to do?" The blonde gulped. This was bad. Taichi? In his poetry class? Tomorrow?!

"W-well, it's a poetry class. You just have to show up and sit there, really. Then I'm stuck embarrassing myself in front of the class, reading it to you."

"I can handle that. Don't worry, man, you're covered." Yamato wasn't so sure. What was that assignment again?

Oh no.

Unrequited Love.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~

Yamato looked over his paper and gulped. The professor walked in and sat down, opening his briefcase and pulling out his attendance sheets.

"Ah! It looks like we'll be having a presentation from Mr. Ishida today!" He smiled in Yamato's direction. "So, what is your reason for missing my class?" Yamato sighed.

"It was a reunion."

"A reunion you couldn't give advance notice for?" Ah, Yamato finally realized. This teacher isn't as great as he thought. Not when he was on the receiving end of his odd punishment.

"No sir, one of my friends brought me there without telling me; it was a surprise. Then the guest of honor proceeded to . . . um . . . attack me with a squirt gun." The class erupted in laughter at this. Perfectly groomed Yamato being shot by a water gun! That was funny.

"This person seems to have quite the sense of humor. Now, who did you bring to read to?"

"He's waiting in the hall." The teacher looked at him quizzically.

"Why is he in the hall, Mr. Ishida? Go get him." Yamato got up and opened the door, walking out to the hall. He glared at the hooded boy in the corner.

"Taichi, what's up with the stupid disguise? C'mon." Taichi smiled and got up, putting his hood down and walking into the class. A unanimous gasp was heard and Yamato rolled his eyes. Taichi turned to Yamato and winked.

"That's why I wore the hood. Baka." The teacher looked to Taichi, then Yamato, then back again. There was a little something in his sixth sense that was going wild looking at these two. Oh, this was going to be good!

"Alright class, calm down. Yagami-san, please sit in Ishida's desk. Take it away, Ishida." Yamato's hands started positively shaking, and he knew he had to stop. Taichi would suspect! Taichi would know! He took a deep breath and . . .

"What's the holdup, Mr. Ishida? Read the poem and then read your summary." Yamato gulped and his eyes widened. The poem too?! Oh god!

"Matt, it's okay." Taichi whispered to his best friend. "Just read it." Yamato took a deep breath.

"You don't remember me, but I remember you.

I lie awake and try so hard not to think of you.

But who can decide what they dream?

And dream I do . . .

I believe in you. I'll give up everything just to find you.

I have to be with you to live, to breathe, you're taking over me.

Have you forgotten all I know and all we had?

You saw me mourning my love for you and touched my hand.

I knew you loved me then.

I believe in you. I'll give up everything just to find you.

I have to be with you to live, to breathe, you're taking over me.

I look in the mirror and see your face if I look deep enough

So many things inside that are just like you are taking over

I believe in you. I'll give up everything just to find you.

I have to be with you to live, to breathe, you're taking over me."

Yamato finished the poem, shaking and shivering. Oh god.

Taichi was staring at Yamato with wide eyes and visibly gulped. They stared at each other for at least a minute when the teacher cleared his throat and asked him to continue and read his summary. A single tear ran down the blond man's face and he spoke again.

"This poem is about unrequited love and the obsession that comes with it. It explains how strong emotion can control another's life, and hints at the underlying pain that comes with it." Yamato took a deep breath. He thought he was in the clear. The teacher spoke up again.

"Mr. Ishida, what were your personal feelings to this poem? Do you find yourself able to relate to the writer?" Yamato dropped the paper and turned around to face the teacher. The teacher nodded in silent answer to Yamato's unspoken question. Yes, Yamato had to answer.

Yamato looked down and squeezed his eyes shut.

"I-I found myself relating to this writer more than I've had to any other lately. I've lived the experience. Are you happy sensei?! Can I stop now?" Yamato suddenly felt Taichi clasp his hand on his shoulder, and felt the urge to run, to disappear. The teacher smiled.

"Yes Mr. Ishida, that's enough. Class dismissed."

Neither Taichi nor Yamato moved as the class left the room. Once everyone was gone, Taichi spun Yamato around and looked him in the eye.

"What's going on, Yamato?" Taichi had to know. There was something seriously bothering his best friend; something that he was pretty sure he had a good idea about.

Yamato shook his head, spun around, and walked out of the classroom.

Taichi put his hood back on his head and sighed. He hoped what was going on wasn't what he thought was going on.

He loved Yamato more than anyone else in the world. Right now though, he already had a boyfriend.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~

TBC

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~

A.N. The poem in this fic is actually a song by Evanescence called Taking Over Me. A very good song and this fic's namesake.

Sorry for the Cliffy again. I'm horribly addicted to them; always have been. R/R.

More reviews, faster post! ^_^ Ja ne!

Sailor Red