Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ The Alphabet of Despair! ❯ Thinking Back ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER THREE
 
Over the past week, a lot of students had begun making their movies and spotting their entries in the contest which was nearing closer, and closer every day.
 
Today however… Kari was studying for an exam in the library, and she was surprised to see Davis studying there too. She got a good peek at the book he was reading. It was called. “Simple steps of singing”
 
Kari thought why Davis would need a book like that. She heard him sing before to all kinds of pop-music, and when he sang, he had the voice of a fine male-star model.
 
She still was thinking about it, even when she went to the Digital world with the others to start working on their video for the festival.
 
Yolei had brought her father's camera to help them makes the first few scenes. Cody was even invited to help participate in the film making, accept Cody didn't like being in front of cameras.
 
“Awe, Come on, Cody… you're not shy are you?” asked Yolei.
 
Cody blushed a little, and tried to hide the fact that he was shy. “Look, I just don't want to do this, okay?!” he asked sternly.
 
“Sure.. whatever.” Yolei said. “Boy, what a grouch.”
 
“I heard that!”
 
Even though Cody didn't want to be in the picture, at least Armadillamon wanted to be, and this way Cody could work the camera and stuff. He didn't like being shot at, but at least he did know a thing or tow about working cameras.
 
They shot as many of scenes as they could for their film, and by the end of the session, they all noticed Kari was just staring off into space. She hadn't even opened her soda yet.
 
“Uh, Kari?” Gatomon asked, but Kari didn't respond.
 
“Kari?”
 
“Ahem… If I may?” Hawkmon said as he snuck up behind Kari, and pulled the feather off his headband. He gently began to tickle her nose, until she sneezed!! Finally, she came to her senses. “What… where am I?”
 
“Kari… we're in the Digital world. Remember?” said Patamon.
 
Kari then realized she had been gazing off for a long time. “Sorry, I was thinking about Davis.” she said. the others all stood silent in shock, and the she realized what she had just said. “I-I-I mean… today in the library…”
 
She told them about how she saw Davis studying earlier that day, and that stuck to everyone as odd. For they had been seeing Davis doing strange things all week.
 
TK saw him in the music room during class breaks. He seemed to have been practicing the grand-piano. It was only his first time playing, but he was already doing a few simple verses pretty good.
 
“But when I tried to ask him what was up… he just turned the other way and walked out.” TK said.
 
Yolei was coming back from a lunch break, one afternoon, and accidentally bumped into Davis as they walked around the corner, and Davis' papers fell to the ground.
 
They helped him pick them up, and they asked what he was doing with all the papers, and he simply answered. “Not much… just making a up a song.”
 
“We tried to ask him what it was about, but he just walked away from us saying “You'll see… you'll see.” Yolei said. “Weird much!”
 
Ken told them all he saw Davis carrying a huge Bristol-board from art class with the Alphabet drawn in large letters and squares all across it. “I tried to ask him what it was for, but he just said he was busy, and he walked off.”
 
Everyone was really starting to worry about Davis. He sure had been acting strange, and he wasn't telling anyone why. “You think he's sick?” asked Yolei. “This isn't like him to act this way at all.”
 
Kari however thought it a little differently. She thought it was great that Davis was showing a few signs of change, it showed that he was growing up. She thought that was a good thing for him, only in some other ways she was getting worried about him.
 
She did think it wasn't right for him not to have a girlfriend at this point. Maybe he just had someone in mind, but wasn't up to teller her… not likely. Davis was usually never that shy about too much.
 
Kari was suddenly staring off into space again.
 
“Look.” said Cody. “That's the second time she's zoned out.” The others nodded in agreement, and all wondered exactly what Kari was thinking about.
 
Meanwhile
 
Davis had been spending a lot of time in his room, alone. Even Veemon was starting to get worried about him now, but then again, he wasn't really complaining as he got to play with Davis' game-station.
 
Davis' older sister, Jun, who was home from college for the weekend was really getting worried about her brother. Sure they used to argue a lot, but he was still her brother, and she always loved him, and she even worried about him at times when he went of to that Digital place and fought off bad guys.
 
She always knew Davis would change one day, but never like this. He was acting more, mysterious, and strange, and lately, he had been losing interests in things he liked to talk about anymore.
 
She knocked on the door, and Davis opened it a crack. He looked pretty tired. “What is it, Jun?” he said deeply but calmly.
 
“You alright?” his sister asked.
 
“I'm fine… never been better.”
 
“Then what are you doing in there? Come on, Davis.”
 
Davis shook his head. “Nothing much.” he said “Now, … I'm a little busy right now.” and he shut the door gently leaving his sister all concerned and worried.
 
“What's he doing back there?” she said aloud. “Why does he have to act all creepy and stuff?”
 
 
Davis heard her and leaned his back against the door in despair. “Oh, Jun… if you only knew why?” he thought to himself.
 
He went back to his computer where he was altering twenty-six digital-photos, he snapped of himself, and printing them out as dark and miserable looking pictures, and gluing them onto his Bristol-board.
 
As he continued his work, he accidentally clicked on a single hidden picture he had saved for years. It was a picture of him and Kari after he and his soccer team won the championship at school.
 
He smiled slightly, remembering that day well…
 
The school was battling the Fukoma All-stars; A very powerful soccer team that won many championships for many years straight. Davis, as Captain of the team, and Ken as his co-captain… they spent night and day practicing.
 
They even went to the soccer-field when it was raining, or when there was potholes in the un-leveled grounds. This helped improved their speed and stamina, and even taught them new moves.
 
The game was tough, and the Fukoma players were ruthless in sparing no one from their mighty wrath, but finally, time ran out, the score was tied, 2 to 2… and Davis was given a penalty kick.
 
One shot… one chance left to win it all. The tension was mounting, and the fans were all quivering in their seats… finally in a very dramatic moment, Davis summoned up all the remains of his power, and kicked the ball hard… right past the goalie, and into the net.
 
The game was won!
 
The crowd went totally wild, and the team picked Davis up in victory celebration, cheering their heads off. (Like on Armageddon when they finished the hole)
 
Davis even got to be the first one to hold the huge golden trophy way up high for all the adoring fans to see, but what he really treasured the most… was when Kari hugged him tight in congrats to him. She even planted a kiss on his cheek.
 
Something he had been waiting for, for a long, long time.
 
Davis shook himself back to reality. “No way Kari's going to want me, she never did before, why should she now?” he thought to himself. So he just went on with his work.