Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ The Alphabet of Despair! ❯ Pondering thoughts ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER FOUR
 
Only a few more days before the festival, and all the entries were in. Even the Digi-destined's Digimon documentary.
 
The show would be held Friday evening after school, and the students were actually thrilled to be staying when they all would normally rather ditch school and start having their dose of weekend wackiness.
 
The students who were participating as the audience, were given a special ballet paper with each movie title that they were to check off and then drop off into a box. The movie hat got the most votes would win the first prize:…
 
An award in Creativity and Computer-skills, as well as a newly added $1,000 dollar gift certificate. To any store or place in town…. And that was one of the main reasons the students all entered…. Just wanting to get their hands on that prize.
 
Pamphlets of what movies would be seen were already passed out, and who submitted them, and finally, the others could see. “Davis has his own movie?” Yolei asked. “Well that would explain why he's been so busy lately.” added TK.
 
“Yeah… but what kind of movie do you suppose he made?” Ken asked.
 
Nobody could quite tell, for the past weeks, Davis had been working harder, and looking more mysterious than ever. Sure they could tell he had a rough week at school…
 
Bullies, slapping him form behind, or throwing stuff at him. Girls laughing at him even more, and just looking for way to try and get him in trouble. It seemed the only people who cared about were the others and TK's girlfriend, Mina…
 
…but that was only half of it.
 
Davis had been seen gathering more props. Such as candles, small flowers, and one beautiful rose in a white vase… and he had also been staying after school in the music room, working on his video, but no one was allowed to disturb him. So no one quite knew just what he was up to.
 
“I'll go talk to him.” Kari offered. Everyone began gawking at her with strange, confused expressions. “Well, why not?” she replied. “One of us has to go and talk to him, it may as well be me.” and she walked away.
 
She really wanted to speak to Davis and figure out what was bugging him so much, but she herself was also confused at why she just offered to go herself like that? “I mean… I am worried about the way he's acting, and I just want to know why.”
 
…or was there something else crawling through her mind? Was there something she wasn't convinced of yet, or something she just didn't realize for a long time, until now?
 
She shook her head back down to Earth and stayed focused on her main task.
 
She found Davis walking up the street with his props in a bag, and he still had that mysterious expression on his face. She finally had her chance to catch up to him when he stopped at the “Don't-Walk” sign.
 
“Davis? Hey, Davis…”
 
Davis looked around, and he was somewhat both happy and sad by Kari's presence. “Hey… what's happening?” he said to her in a somewhat more happier tone… but Kari could still feel his bummed-out emotions.
 
Kari asked him if it was okay if she walked home with him. “I need to ask you something?”
 
Davis almost wasn't sure if that was a good or bad idea, but then again, he always had wanted to walk Kari home loads of times, but never thought he'd get his chance. So he let her walk with him.
 
They didn't seem to talk much, as neither of them knew what to say too each other, as if they were too shy, or something big was on their minds… but finally, Davis broke the silence with… “So, what did you want to ask me, anyways?”
 
Kari almost thought it was kind of a dumb question to ask, but… “Davis...?” she asked. Do you… like… you know…” she paused. “…Have any thoughts on finding a girlfriend?”
 
Davis stopped dead in his tracks, making Kari stop where she was too. “Why would you ask that?” he asked softly.
 
Kari had to hurry and think of something say before she made herself look silly. “Well… I just wanted to know. Like… do you have anyone in mind?”
 
Davis shook his head. “Nah… I don't.” he answered sadly. “Besides… who in their right mind would want to go out with me now these day anyway, when about two-thirds of the whole school is against me?”
 
Kari knew he had a point. It wasn't fair that Davis kept getting picked on or teased at school. Maybe… even she realized that she sometimes went a little too far with her “Make him Jealous” thing.
 
“Hey… cheer up, the festival's in a few days… I can't wait to see what you're movie is.”
 
Davis suddenly looked all tensed up, and he drew in a deep breath and let it out slowly. “Oh, maybe you are… but I trust you…” he said. “… you might not like it much.”
 
Kari couldn't understand how she could not like a movie. “Oh well… I'll see you to tomorrow at school.” she said as she walked away. “Bye.”
 
Davis waved to her until she was out of sight, and then felt mighty low. His inner voice was arguing with his thoughts. “That was your chance you idiot! Why didn't you tell her?!”
 
“Who am I kidding? She's not into me, she's worried about me, and that's all. Even if she was… Expose her: A beautiful girl whom I've had crush on for so long… to my all-consuming despair? I don't think so.”
 
He was still wrapped up in his own thoughts that night as he worked on his film.
 
Veemon did all the filming, and Davis promised him all the candy bars he could eat, now it was just a matter of altering the film to make it look better.
 
He still didn't believe that Kari was actually into him, although she was acting very concerned towards him, and she did want to walk home with him earlier. “No.” he said to himself. “Don't go there yet, man.”
 
Meanwhile
 
Gatomon was already fast asleep in her basket, but Kari was lying awake in bed arguing with her own thoughts…
 
“What's gotten into Davis… why is acting all gloomy, and sad all the time? More importantly… why am I still thinking about him?
 
She pondered over her thoughts for a while. “Maybe… am I… No.” she thought. “Besides… he said he had no interest in dating anyways.”
 
…but then she began to wonder… did Davis really mean that, or was he just lying to try and keep something from her?