Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ The Dark Key ❯ A History Lesson ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]




"Don't worry Kari I'm sure that Tai is okay he probably just need some time alone




A/N: well this chapter is only over due by a few weeks. Sorry for the long wait, but I had a major case of writers block. Well this part is kind of slow. It' sort of the background behind the story. Oh warning there is a lot of moving in this story, so if it gets confusing I apologize. Also there is a scene that may seem like Takari in this one, but it's not really meant to be, it's only friendship, but if you like Takari you may think of it that way.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Disclaimer: don't own digimon at all.

The Dark Key

Part 9: A History Lesson





"Don't worry Kari I'm sure that Tai is okay he probably just need some time alone." TK tried to comfort his friend. Tai had been gone for quiet a while several hours in fact. He left the house at about one in the afternoon, and it was now midnight.

"Why wouldn't he answer his cell phone. It's not like him to just disappear. What if he's hurt or something. I should have never let him go out alone." The worry was evident in Kari's voice as she paced back and fourth through the Kamiya's living room.

"Hey if it will make you feel any better I will go look for him. I'm sure he's not too far." TK said as he stood from his seat on the couch and approached the young girl.

"No, TK it's way too late and I don't want something to happen to you." Kari said as she sat down on the couch. TK followed her and sat down next to her. He wrapped an assuring arm around Kari, as they both began to drift off to sleep.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

After hours of walking Tai finally decided to stop on a footbridge. He had been in a trance ever since his run in with Matt at the park earlier that day. Everything seemed like such a blear. He didn't even know why he had come here. It was like his feet just continued to travel even when his mind was a thousand miles away.

"HUH? How the heck did I get here? I don't remember walking this far." Tai stated out loud. Luckily it was so late that there was no one to see him there talking to himself. He shook of his thoughts and looked around. He realized that he was no longer in Odibia, he had some how managed to walked all the way to Heighten view Terrace without realizing it. Great Kamiya this is one hell of a time to go crazy. Tai thought as he walked over to the railing of the bridge he was on and leaned against it. He looked out at the city that lay beneath him. He smiled slightly as memories began to come flooding back.

This was where it all began. Hard to believe it was only eight years ago. It seems like yesterday when that digi-egg came through my computer, and mine as well as the rest of the digidestined's fates were decided. I wonder if this is where Matt was first selected for his dark purpose? I still don't know how I'm going to fight him. I mean how can I? It's not fair that fate had to give me the grand job of destroying my best friend, and it's not fair that Matt got chosen for his stupid job either.

Tai's thoughts were suddenly interrupted by a flash of light that surrounded him then disappeared. Tai raised is hand to shield his eyes from the intense beam of white glow. When he removed his hand he found that he was no longer on a bridge. In fact he didn't seem to be on earth any longer. He was standing in a pure white room, that didn't even appear to be there. All you could see was white, but there didn't seem to be walls or a ceiling or even a floor there.

"Well at the risk of sound redundant, hell of time to start going crazy." Tai said softly to himself as he continued to look around the room or what ever it was. He heard a noise behind him and turned to see what the source was. There was some kind of rift or door opening through the white. Through the rift Tai could see a black sky with thousands of beautiful stars shining like diamonds. Tai's attention soon sifted from what was behind the door to who was coming through the door.

"Kari?" Tai asked confused, then he noticed that the young girl in front of him did look like his sister, only she was about four years younger. "Um…. Much younger version of Kari. What is going on here?"

The young girl smiled a sweet comforting smile then spoke. "Welcome guardian of courage. It is a pleasure to see you again." Tai could tell the girl in front of him was not his sister. She did look just like Kari did on their first adventure to the Digital World, she even had the same yellow shirt and bright pink shorts, but her voice and the way she looked at him was all wrong. Her eyes held this wisdom and mystery to them; her voice seemed older and wiser, as though she had lived longer then see looked.

Tai got so lost in his thoughts that he had forgotten his current situation. He finally brought himself out of his reverie. "Um what exactly is going on here?" Tai asked as he looked around again. "And who are you?" he question as he turned back to his companion.

"Four years ago I came to you and the other Digidesitned, because I felt you needed some guidance. The bond that all of you hold had begun to fade so I spoke with you through Kari."

"You're the entity that spoke with and should us the past and how we became the Digidestined." Tai stated amazed.

"Yes, but now I have come to speak with you alone. I fear for your world, the dark force that lives inside the Guardian of Friendship is growing stronger. If it is not stooped by midnight on the third day then it will consume your world, and all will be lost. If your world is lost it will upset the balance of all worlds and the power of light will fade forever."

Tai's face reflected the horror he was feeling at that moment. Not only was earth in danger, but all worlds if he didn't stop Matt. "How could this have happened?"

"I'm sorry. I know how close you and Matt are, but you must realize that he has changed, he's not your friend. The only way to get your friend back is to stop him." the entity spoke with such sympathy in her voice.

"Yes but how do I stop him?" Tai asked in a timid whisper.

The entity gave a small smile. "Come with me." She answered with strength and kindness in her voice.

Suddenly another rift formed through the pure white room and nothing, but black could be seen through it. Tai followed the entity through the rift, and entered the darkness of the other room. The rift immediately closed once Tai was through and, a faint light began to glow allowing Tai to study his new surroundings. The room he was now in was very similar to the other, only it was dark with a bee light illuminating the room slightly.

"Where are we going?" Tai asked with anxiety.

"In order for you to know how to stop the darkness you must first know how it began."

The entity raised her hand as though she was signaling something. After her arm was fully extended in the air her hand began to glow a soft radiant light that began to spread for her hand slowly. Suddenly the light got very intense and radiated of her at enormous speed. The light caused Tai to close his eyes to shield them from the extreme glow. The light began to fade and Tai opened his eyes only to realize that he was no longer in a room.

"What's going on?" Tai asked as he looked around. He was defiantly not in a room anymore. He seemed to be in space. There were stars in the distance and down below him was a planet that resembled earth only the land mashes were different.

"The first time a computer connected to another computer the data formed a stream. As time went on and more computers began to link with one another the streams got bigger, and eventually they began to take on the form of whatever data was flowing through them. The data became actual environment and began to take the shape of entire worlds themselves. You are looking at the first digital world ever to come into existence."

"Say what?!" Tai asked just a little shocked by the fact that he was staring at a world in the progress of being made.

The entity waved her hand and Tai soon found that he was on solid ground again. He looked around and noticed time stick figure like monsters running around. They looked like the out line sketches of the digimon he had come to know.

"Because at the time computer and other technological devices were very primitive the digimon did not advance very far. It was very difficult for them to digivolve because there was not enough data to help them advance."

"Are we still on the first digi-world?" Tai asked curiously.

"No, this is the world that you have come to know. Because not all computers were linked at the time different Digital world came into existence. The digiworld you are accustom to was created by data flowing through the computers of Japan. The first digiworld to come into existence was created by the data flowing through the computers of America. When the Internet was formed computers from all over the world began to link with each other. That is what caused the rifts between the world. When all the digital world were being formed there were no viruses or negative data running through the computers, but as more people began to get access to the Internet negative data began to form."

Suddenly the ground as well as the rest of the world began to brake up into data and faded away.
Tai then saw that he was back in the dark room with the dim light. The entity was no where in sight. The only other thing in the room besides Tai was a large mirror that seemed to be floating in the air not far from him. Tai walked over to the mirror and looked in it. Tai was too surprised when he wasn't greeted by his own reflection. Looking into the mirror seemed more like looking into a window.

"Before negative data entered the digital worlds all digimon were data type, but as the viruses began to attack the data on computers they altered many digimon's data causing them to be reconfigured into virus types."

Tai turned around at the sound of the voice to see the form of his younger sister when she was eight years old. The entity approached him and pointed to the mirror. Tai was amazed to see that the mirror was now showing a digimon.

"The negative data had the same effect on all worlds except one the first digital world. Instead of attacking a number of digimon at random the negative data focused all of its attacks on one digimon. The virus data completely merged with one digimon causing it to warp into a force, with power that no one was prepared for. The force some how gained the power to control all other virus type digimon. As it began to grow stronger it threatened all worlds including your own. When the humans began to fight the viruses in the computers they created data that eventually formed into the first vaccine type digimon. All the vaccine type digimon took on the form of angels. They began to fight against the virus type digimon and eventually distorted all but the most powerful."

Tai listened closely as he watched the images that were being displayed on the mirror in front of him. He watched as all sorts of virus type digimon battled with the army of angel type digimon. "Look I don't mean to be rude, but what does all of this have to do with what's going on with Matt?" Tai asked wanting to get down to the bottom of this.

"Patience, guardian of courage. Just listen and you will understand." The entity replied calmly. The entity pointed to where the mirror stood. As Tai turned around to face it again he noticed that he was no longer in the dark room. He as well as the entity were now standing in the middle of a desert. The sun was shining brightly and climate was hot and dry.

As Tai looked around he saw one of the most intense scene he had ever seen. Over towards the east of were he and the entity stood was a large dark shadow that was being attacked by at least a hundred angel type digimon. The angel digimon would send attack after attack, but nothing not even their most powerful attacks made a dent in the large dark shadow. Suddenly the shadow sent out an attack. The strength of the attack was so immense that it obliterated almost half of the angel digimon. The dark shadow then sent out another attack this one hit all but two of the angel digimon sending them flying to the ground and landing in a bloody heap.

Tai finally got over the shock of the horror in front of him and spoke. "I thought that digimon were reconfigured when they died." Tai stated his voice shaking in fear.

"This force has the power to delete digimon, so once they are destroyed by him they a gone forever." The entity replied sadly.

Tai turned his attention back to the battle before him. Only two digimon remained. One looked like a pink dragon with horns on its head, and the other looked like an angel wearing armor. "What is the purpose behind this battle? There is no way those two can win." Tai said quietly as he looked on the two remain digimon.

"The digimon knew they wouldn't have the strength to defeat the dark virus. The only hope they had was to lock the virus in a digiworld and hope that he never escapes. These two remaining digimon are Magnadramon and Spheirmon. They are the mega forms of Angemon and Angewomon, and they are also the generals of the angel army." The entity explained.

Suddenly the two angel digimon began to glow. Magnadramon began to glow a radiant pink light, and Spheirmon began to glow a powerful yellow light. The two lights began to glow brighter as the two digimon's data began to brake apart and merge together. As Magnadramon and Spheirmon's data began to merge together a rift began to form. The rift continued to grow until it was larger then the shadow. The light from the two digimon became a bold golden color and reached out to the shadow. The golden light captured the shadow and began to pull it through the rift. As the shadow disappeared through the rift the light began to grow smaller. The rift was soon sealed and the golden light transformed into a golden key.

"The two generals used their energy to open a rift to an abandon digiworld. Their power was strong enough to drive the dark virus through the rift and trap him there. The golden key is the only way to open the gate between the prison that holds that monster captive and all other worlds." After the entity was through explaining the desert faded away and Tai found himself back in the white room.

"Man this is one hell of a history lesson." Tai said as he turned to face the entity.

"Yes, and I'm afraid that it is not over." The entity pointed to something behind Tai and he turned around to see what it was. There were now two black chairs standing where there use to be nothing but white. "Have a seat." The entity said sweetly as she sat down in one of the chairs. Tai followed her example and sat in the chair, which stood across from the entity's.

"After the battle with the dark force, most of Magnadramon's and Spheirmon's data vanished, but some of the data seemed to remain. That data merged with the Digidestined of hope and the Digidestined of light's digi-eggs. That is why Patamon and Gatomon are capable of digivolveing into angel type digimon. They are the last of their kind, but that is not the matter that is important. After the battle some how the key to the digiworld in which the dark force is sealed away disappeared. We only recently found the location of the key." The entity pointed to what use to be a wall, and was now a dark forest. The eerie silence in the forest was broken by the sound of two voices that Tai knew very well.

"Matt are you sure you want to keep traveling in this direction? It's kind of spooky maybe we should turn back." Gabumon stated with worry in his voice.

"I can't the answer's here I just know it is." Matt answered with determination

"Matt? Gabumon? What's going on?" Tai asked in confusion.

"Everything you have seen so far have been computer images of the past. This is as well." The entity responded. Tai decided just to watch and listen to what was going on.

"Matt maybe the answer you seek can't be found." Gabumon said quietly.

"What are you saying?" Matt said with hopelessness in his voice.

"I'm only saying that maybe you have been looking in all the wrong places. Maybe the answers you want can't be found out here, but can only be seen inside." Gabumon said wisely. "I'm sure that if you just look inside you will find the answers that you want."

"Gabumon, maybe you're right, but what if there is no answer. What if all my life I've been searching for something that isn't there. All I ever wanted was to be worthy of the others. To change and grow stronger so I can help in this fight, or at least to know my place in it." Matt could no longer hold the tears back. He fell to the ground and began to weep. Gabumon was at his side in an instant trying to confront him.

"Matt you can't live your life on what ifs. I know your place in this fight Matt it's with me and the other Digidestined." Gabumon tried to comfort.

"NO, Gabumon don't you get it I'm a mistake. I have no worth. I've never done anything that befitted others. All I am is a mistake." Matt said sadly as he pulled his knees up, and wrapped his arms around them resting his head on his knees. The tears still fell freely from Matt's eyes as he stared at the ground.

"Matt that's not true you're not a mistake you have to listen to me. You are need you have a purpose and worth." Gabumon tried to argue but it was no use Matt was convinced of his lake of purpose.

"Man I never knew Matt felt this way. What kind of friend am I? Here he was totally screwed up and I was off fighting my stupid war." Tai said angrily to himself.

"It wouldn't have mattered. This was a battle Matt had to face on his own." The entity said sadly as she watched the distressed Digidesitened of friendship.

"Gabumon do you see that?" Matt asked as he wiped the tears from his eyes, and stood up looking at a bush not far from where he was.

"What are you talking about Matt?" Gabumon ask curiously as he followed the now retreating Matt.

"I thought I saw something in these bushes." Matt answered as he bent down and looked through the planets until his eyes caught sight of something shiny. Matt picked up the object and looked it over. It was some kind of golden key with a black tent to it making it look as though it were bronze.

"It's some kind of key. What do you think it's for?" Matt asked Gabumon with curiosity.

"I don't know Matt but I think you should leave it alone there is something strange about it." Gabumon warned.

Matt completely ignored Gabumon's pleads to leave the key alone. Matt studied the key closely as though this tiny object was something he had been searching for his whole life. Suddenly the key began to glow a black light, and a shadow began to form from it.

"What the?" Matt stood up and looked on in amazement as the shadow began to grow.

"It is time to go." The entity addressed Tai as she began to walk away from where Matt and Gabumon stood.

"What we can't go now. I want to know what happens." Tai protested in an angry tone.

"I'm sorry, but we have to go." The entity replied as both she and Tai began to faded away.

"But…" Tai didn't get a chance to finish because just then both he and the entity disappeared from the scene with Matt, and reappeared back in the white room. "Why did you take me away I could have helped him." Tai yelled at the form of the young girl.

"Tai, what's done is done. You can't change the past, but there is still hope that you can change the future. Yamato made the decision to follow darkness. He did things that I'm sure he's not proud of, but those are things that should remain with him." the entity explained calmly. "Perhaps if we succeed in stopping him he will tell you what happened, but that is for him to deiced not you or I."

"I guess I understand." Tai said simply.

"Now to finish my story. After the key disappeared we had no idea of its where about. All we could determine was that it had some how got lost in a rift."

"Yeah and it's just our luck that, that rift dropped the key right in Matt's location." Tai said with frustration.

"We didn't know it at the time, but some how the dark virus found away to control some of the power of the key, but not enough to be able to release himself. He needed a human host to keep the power of the key inside them until the force had enough strength to use the key to free himself. He chose Matt as his host because he had the strength to be able to hold such dark power within him. After he convinced Matt to merge with the key, he had him go to a group of digiworld and demolish its protective barriers. After Matt was done taking control of those digiworlds the virus had no other use for him. So when Matt began to rebel and take control of himself the virus allowed him to leave and return to all of you."

"So Matt came back to us, but he was never really free from that darkness that had a grip on him." Tai asked.

"That is correct. The dark force didn't need him at the time because he did not have the strength to escape the prison yet, but it would seem that he has grown stronger and now has the power to escape. On midnight tonight Matt will use the dark key to open the gate to the prison releasing the dark force. His evil will spread to all worlds and not a soul will be safe." The entity stated sadly.

Tai looked down at his shoes trying to take all of this in. "Then I will just have to stop Matt before he uses the key." Tai said finally.

"But there is more. The virus views you as his only threat, and according to the prophecy you are. He ordered Matt to destroy you first. You must be very careful." The entity warned.

"Um how do I stop Matt?" Tai asked quietly.

"You must weaken him yourself. Once you feel that you have drained him of enough energy you can use your digivice to destroy the darkness inside him, but remember the digivice only has so much power. So make sure you have weakened him greatly before attempting to use it." the entity instructed.

"What kind of effect will this have on Matt?" Tai asked worried for his friend. He knew how strong the digivices are, and there is no telling how they would effect a human.

The entity didn't reply. She merely looked at the ground, but the pain in her eyes was answer enough for Tai.

"I had better go. I have a lot to do and only so much time to do it." Tai stated sadly.

"Yes, good luck Digidestined of courage." As the entity said the room Tai was standing in began to fade away. The next thing Tai remembered was being back on the Heighten view Terrace Bridge.

"Well I guess it's time to go save the world." Tai stated to himself as he began to walk back to Odibai.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Well what did you think? You should probably know that I think that the next part will be the last part of this story. I may go back a write a story on how everything went with Matt when he was evil, or I may write a sequel or both. I guess it all depends on how many reviews this one gets. Well if you have any question, comments, or flames you can e-mail; me at truthangel43322@cs.com or you can review.

Zoe