Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ The Dark Key ❯ Conflict ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]




Why is there a conflict within me



A/N: first of all I want to apologies for the lateness of this one. First I got grounded from the computer, then after I actually get half of it done my computer crashes and erases everything I had done, and stupid me I didn't save it on a disk or anything. So sorry for it taking so long.
Also I would like to dedicate this park to Matt's Princess for giving great reviews, and for the suggestion.

Disclaimer: I do not own digimon and so on.

THE DARK KEY


Part Eight: Conflict


Why is there a conflict within me? There shouldn't be a fight. I already know where I stand. So why do I feel so confused? I can't back out now. I only have two more days left, if I don't find a way to stop this then everything I care about will be lost. I have to end this now. Matt walked alone through an empty park in Odiaba. He had been walking ever since he left his apartment two hours ago. Finally Matt came to a bench and decided to bring his journey to an end and rest. It was early morning and the sun should begin to spread its radiant pure light upon the earth, but as far as Matt could tell that wasn't going to happen. The sky was dark, but not overcast. It was just dark like the sun itself had stopped shining. Matt stared at the sky an was both disgusted and pleased at it's lack of color and light. The conflict was there again. To both hate and reveal in the darkness left Matt questing who he was. Maybe it was himself that he hated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How can I do this? I can't destroy him. He's my best friend; well at least I thought he was. Sure we argue and throw a few punches every once in awhile, but those things would only bring us closer together. Over the years Matt had become more like a brother then a rival.

"Tai you have to let me help you fight." A worried Izzy shouted from his cover behind a rock. The sounds of the battle above were so intense you could barley hear him.
"No Matt and the others will be here. You have to let Tentomon regain his energy." He answered painting. I have to have faith I know he'll be here. Dammit Matt where are you?
"Tai!!!" Tai looked up at the sound of his name to see Garurumon coming up at a fast speed. Riding on him was Matt and Joe who was holding Gomamon.
I knew he'd come back. Tai thought to himself as Matt jumped from his spot on Garurmon's back and raced towards him. Matt bent down to help Tai up and carry him out of harms way.
"Matt"
"I'm here Tai."
"I never douded you for a second. I know it didn't always seem that way." A weak and injured Tai choked out his words between heavy uneven breaths.
"Thanks Tai, for believing in me." Matt answered through tears and shortness of breath. "Tai you have to know how much our friendship has always meant to me, and I promise that nothing will ever come between us again." Just as these words left Matt's mouth his crest of friendship began to glow a strong and peaceful blue light that engulfed both Tai and Matt. It brought back strength and life to Wargerymon, and filled Garurumon with pure energy allowing him to digivolve to Metalgarurumon.

You promised that nothing would come between us, but now all of this happens. You've turned against the people who want to help you. That day your crest glowed I could feel your friendship completely surround me. I saw something in your eyes that day, some kind of peace that I had never seen in you before. When we first got to the digiworld I thought you were just an arrogant idiot, but then I began to see the conflict in your eyes as the walls you had spent a life time building around you, began to crumble. I think that is what scared you; that people might see the real you and see the pain and bitterness you had been harboring for so long. Is that why you left when we were fighting Puppetmon? I could have helped you if you had given me a chance. I was there then, and I will always be there even now.

"Hey guys I think you should take a look at this." called Izzy from his place at the Kamiya's kitchen table.
"What is it Izzy?" asked TK as he, Kari and Tai gathered around him to see what he was so enthusiastic about.
"I may have discovered what Matt's plain is. You see according to these hieroglyphs the only way this dark force can travel to other worlds is by a human host. " Stated Izzy as he went to work on his computer again.
"So you think Matt is the human host?" asked Kari as she sat down across the table from Izzy.
"Well sort of, but it's a little more complicated then that. You see the darkness can't just use any human it has to be one that knows about the existence of other worlds, and they have to have a unique strength to be able to survive the stress of having such power in side them. Which by the way is very rare."
"Are you saying that this darkness already had Matt in mind for this whacked out job?" asked Tai with concern in his voice.
"Not just Matt he probably had several humans in mind at first, but eventually eliminated them as an option and decided to use Matt. There is another thing, the human has to willingly accept the powers, and once they do the powers never leave them. They become sort of like a key that opens the gate between the darkness and this world. "
"OK now you've really lost me Izzy." TK complained as he tried to register everything that Izzy was saying.
"OK here is what I mean. Matt was originally one of many humans who could possess the dark powers, but as time went on the others proved to be less worthy then him. Once the darkness selected the perfect host he had to find a way to get him to willingly accepted the power, which he must have already done considering all that is happening with Matt. Since the darkness can't leave its world it has to give Matt full access to its power so he can conquer the world. Because the power is so overwhelming Matt only has three days before it completely takes over. As Matt gets stronger he gets more confused of his identity and he begins to loose who he is. The power just seems to destroy him from the inside causing him to ultimately go crazy." As Izzy finished he looked up from his computer to see the troubled faces of his friends. He cursed himself for being so blunt. He was pretty upset too when he discovered this, but he always tried to keep control over his emotions. TK and Kari were on the verge of tears, and Tai seemed shocked beyond words. Before Izzy could say anything to comfort his friends the phone rang.
"I'll get it." Kari got up from her seat and went to answer the phone.
"So what are we going to do?" asked Tai looking at Izzy for an answer.
"Well we have to do what that prophecy says or else Matt will destroy the world."
"You mean we have to kill him." TK stated with pain in his voice.
"Not you TK I'm the one who the prophecy says is going to destroy him." Tai was secretly curing that dam prophecy for telling him he was destined to destroy his best friend. "And how exactly am I suppose to do it, shoot him with a gun or something. Why did I have to be the one that's has the grand destiny of saving the world from one of it's own protectors."
"Tai I know this is upsetting you. Matt means a lot to all of us, but if we don't stop him, then there will be no world to protect." Izzy tried to comfort.
"But Izzy how can I hurt him, besides if he has so much power what could I do through rocks at him and hope he gives up."
"Well that's not exactly what I had in mind. I don't know how to destroy him, but I do have an idea on how to weaken him. Remember when Devimon used the black gears and broke up File island sending us to different parts of the island?"
"How could I forget." Tai shot back sarcastically wondering when Izzy was going to get to the point.
Izzy got the point behind Tai's sharp remark and decided to skip the details. "Well during that time I discovered ancient ruins that later proved to be the temple of our digivices. Chenteromon explained that our digivices were a preserver of the light, and one of the defenses against the darkness. Their power is eminence and throughout our battle I have discovered what Chenteromon said to be true. Our digivices were able to destroy the black gears, and during our finally battle with Apocolomon it was our digivices that stopped his attack. So I have come to the conclusion that our digivices will be able to weaken Matt long enough for you to be able to stop him." after Izzy was done explaining his theory Kari reentered the room.
"Izzy that was your mom on the phone. She said she'd like you to come home right away, something about a laser in your room cutting another taking out a wall and part of the ceiling of your apartment."
"OH! I forgot about my latest science project. I've got to go, see you guys later." Izzy gathered his stuff and was out of the door in a flash of speed the others didn't know he was capable of.
"So what do we do now?" TK asked as he stared at the door Izzy just rushed out of.
"We prepare for the worst." Tai stated with determination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Matt why do you want to do this?" a worried Gabumon asked as he watched his partner pace back and forth through the vacant forest.
"I don't know if I'm going to Gabumon." Answered Matt as he stopped his movement and sat down next to his digimon friend.
"But you are considering it aren't you." Gabumon looked at him with sadden eyes.
"Well yeah. You heard what he said; I was destined to be part of the darkness. I can't run from that." Matt stated not looking at his friend.
"But you don't know that for sure, maybe he is trying to trick you like Cherrymon." Gabumon protested.
"Gabumon all my life I've been looking for an answer to who I am what my purpose is. I suppose everyone does, but I have always known that there was something that separated me from most people. I look at people and I see them smile and I don't understand. These people know their purpose they have a place among humanity, but me I never have. I pushed my family away and anyone else who has tried to get to know me, because I know my place isn't with them." Matt looked down at his digimon friend who was looking at him with a look of pure sympathy.
"But Matt you never pushed me away."
"That's because I always felt like I belonged with you." Matt said with a light smile. "Gabumon I know this doesn't make any sense, but I need to know if my place is with the darkness. I can't live my life always wondering. I need to know who I am and where I belong, but I will understand if you don't want to come. I don't want you to do anything that you are against." Matt stood up and brushed his paints off.
"Matt you said you just want to know where your place is, well I already know where mine is. It's with you, and I will follow you any where." Gabumon said strongly as he stood up and joined his friend.
"Are you sure Gabumon?"
"Of course I'm sure. You are my friend and my place will always be with you." Gabumon looked up at his friend to see tears forming in his eyes.
"Thanks Gabumon." As Matt said this both he and Gabumon began to walk towards the unworldly shadow waiting just in front of them. As they walked closer they became completely engulfed in its darkness and then disappeared.

"Hey look out!" Matt was brought out of his trance by the sound of a boy yelling a heads up. As soon as Matt began to focus his eyes he saw why. There was a soccer ball flying directly towards his face at an incredible speed. Matt pulled his hand up to his face and caught the ball palming it just seconds before it hit his face. The boy saw this and came running up to the bench where Matt sat.

"Nice catch. I'm really sorry about that." The boy said with a slight smile as he reached out to get his ball.
Matt looked the boy over as he stood up. The kid was about TK's age and was a head shorter then him.
"UM can I have my ball back please?" the kid asked bringing Matt out of his revere.
Matt gave the boy a cold look. Then with little effort throw the ball directly at the boy's chest causing him to fly a bite before hitting the ground with a thub. "You should be more careful next time." Matt's voices was cold and completely absent of emotion. Just after he stated this he walked away casually as though nothing had happened. He could hear the boy groan in pain as he left, but he didn't care. Nothing mattered anymore.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


"Tai what's wrong?" Kari asked as she entered her brother's room.
"I can't do it Kari. I can't fight him. He is my best friend." Answered Tai as he rested his head in his hands.
"I know Tai." Kari walked over to where her brother sat and pulled him into a tight hug.
"I never wanted any of this to happen. I know if I don't stop him then our world will be lost to darkness, but how can I destroy him." Tai said this as a statement not a question. "How can I kill another human. I have no right to take the life of another, and what about TK what right do I have to take away his only brother."
"Tai I know how hard this is on you, but you have to remember we're not fighting Matt."
"What are you talking about?" Tai was now very interested in hearing what his younger sister had to say.
"The Matt I know would never even consider hurting TK, or would so happily serve the darkness. This person running around with wild golden hair and crystal blue eyes isn't Matt. This creature is destroying the very essence of the bearer of friendship. This darkness is slowly murdering Yamato Ishida, and you have been destined to stop him. You can't let this darkness win you have to save Matt." Tai was shocked by his sister's words. Kari had always had this aurora of wisdom for her age, but Tai hadn't really noticed just how deep it went.
"You're right Kari, there is no way I will be able to help Matt if I sit around here and sock all day, but I still need to thinks things out. I'm going to go for a walk, and try to figure things out." Tai stood and headed to the door. "Call me on my cell phone if anything should happen OK."
"All right be careful, and make sure you stay in touch."
"I will." After that Tai left.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tai found himself walking through the park that he and the rest of the digidestined use to hold meetings to discuses their next plain of action. After traveling a little deeper into the park Tai arrived at his destination. It was a large oak tree right in the middle of the park. He and the others use to spend countless hours just sitting in the cool comforting shad of this tree. It became one of their regular meeting places. Tai circled the tree one studying its features. Then his eyes caught sight of something. Carved on one side of the tree were the names of the original digidestined and the symbol of each of their crest. Tai had to smile at the site. About three weeks after their first adventure ended all the digidestined meet at this tree. They decided that they needed a way to remember their friendship forever. So they used Joe's pocket knight and carved the image of their friendship in the large oak tree.

"Fancy meeting you here." Tai heard a voice from behind him causing him to turn around quickly.
"Matt? What are you doing here?" Tai asked as he walked closer to his 'friend'.
"Oh, you know questing destiny, thinking of the good old days, planning the apocalypse that will finally put this world out of it's misery. The usual, and you?"
Tai was a little throne back by Matt's sarcasm, but recovered quickly. "I was taking a walk. Matt I have to ask you something." Tai said slowly.
"Shoot." Matt answered in his usual, uncaring tone.
"Matt are you really serving the darkness?" Tai asked, as he looked his friend straight in the eyes.
Matt smiled a cold smile, and his eyes seemed to light up a bit. "Yes." Matt's voice was barley above a whisper.
"Are you serving it willingly?" the words came out shaking
"Now I'm sure you know the answer to that by now Tai. The question is do you know how to stop me." Matt said this in a mocking tone.
"I know how to stop you now Matt, but I don't want it to come to that. You're my friend and I know we can find some way to help you if you just give us a chance." Tai's voice was strong and filled with determination. The determination to save his best friend at any and all cost.
"Liar. You know as well as I do that I'm beyond help. I don't deserve help I never did." Matt seemed to zone out for a moment as memories began to fill his head. Tai quickly brought him out by putting a hand on his shoulder.
"Matt that's not true you do deserve help, we can help you." Tai said softly trying to comfort his confused friend.
For a moment Matt was going to accept Tai's offer, but suddenly a chilling feeling came over him. Matt's hole body began to ache and he fell to the ground, screaming in pain. Tai backed a way and looked at his friend. He wanted to help, but he didn't know what was wrong to begin with.
Suddenly Matt's scream stooped and he stood very slowly. Tai was about to ask if he was OK when Matt spoke. "No one can help me now Tai." With that Matt walked a way leaving a very worried and very confused Tai screaming after him.
Tai wanted to run after him, but it was almost like he was frozen. He couldn't move. Finally Tai gained control of himself and was about to run after Matt when he heard a loud crashing sound which could only be thunder. Tai turned his gaze up ward towards the sky and was shocked at what he saw. The entire sky was pitch black and looked like something out of hell itself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kari and TK both sat in the Kamiya's apartment as Kari tried to confront the young blond. TK had been a nervous wreak after the incident with Matt and Kari was trying to ease some of the pain he felt. She was just about to say a few comforting words when the sound of loud thunder diverted her mind.
"What the?" TK stood and looked out the window to see why there was thunder. Dark clouds had moved all across Tokyo, and now cast the city in shadow. Ravenous lightning flashed across the sky, and savage winds blew through the streets knocking branches off of trees. The sky itself looked like a pure shadow that seemed angry at the world below.
"What's going on." TK yelled to no one.
"I guess this means the end has begun." Kari answered softly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well what did you think? The next part will hopefully have more action. I will just have to see. If you have any questions, comments, or flames you can e-mail me at TruthAngel43322@cs.com

Zoe