Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ The New adventures of Masked Rider ❯ Love of Choice ( Chapter 13 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

EPISODE THIRTEEN
 
School was back in session before anyone knew it, and poor Davis was really going over the edge. Cassie had not returned his phone-calls or emails, or even talked to him at all since that day at the pool. That, and all through spring break he had been running off without explanation during dates, and quality time.
 
Davis was holding a single rose he had bought, with nearly all his lunch-money, and was trying to work up the right things to say to his girlfriend. He sighed heavily and then drew in a deep breath. “Okay, Davis… time to pull yourself together. Whatever you do don't blow it…!”
 
Then suddenly he felt someone tap his back. He turned round, “Hi, Davis…”
 
“Kari…?” Davis almost exclaimed, but he couldn't figure out what else to say. She really looked different today. Her hair wasn't as short as it used to be and was now almost completely loose and wavy; the result of an image-change she had gotten over spring-break.
 
“So, you… waiting for Cassie.” She asked tenderly, while indicating the rose he was holding. Davis quickly hid it behind his back, but it was silly anyway. “Um… yeah… I am.”
 
They both just stood there not saying a thing, but tenderly gazed at each other, and then casually looking away. “Go on! Tell him!” Kari's inner self argued.
 
“What are you doing, man…?” Davis' argued with him. “You loved her for a long time… why not set things right?”
 
They were both snapped out of their thoughts by the bell ringing. Davis stuttered, “Err… maybe we shouldn't…”
 
“Be seen together.” Kari quickly said. Then they parted peacefully, yet they both felt extremely stupid deep down.
 
Cassie had on a really strict face and just walked off pretending not to notice her boyfriend at all. Davis jogged to catch up with his girlfriend in the hall, “Look, Cass… I know I haven't been exactly a good boyfriend, but I wanna make things right.”
 
Cassie gazed at the rose, and her lips curled into a smile. “Aw, Davey…” she hugged him warmly. “I want things to be right too. I'm just so mixed up as well.”
 
“Why? What's the matter?” Davis asked.
 
Cassie, though she didn't know about Davis' secret-- She did know of all the monsters that had been attacking the city, and was worried, “What if they decide to go after me next?”
 
Davis wouldn't let that happen, but he couldn't really tell her or that would lead to cover blowing. “Gee… well, I hope there's something I can do to help.”
 
Cassie pecked him tenderly on the cheek, “You just did.” and she was gone with her rose, leaving Davis feeling slightly awkward…
 
 
Meanwhile, Count Dregon and his henchmen had been observing the activity between the love triangle of Davis, Cassie, and Kari. Dregon was filled with a sinister glee. “Of course. Now why didn't I think of it before?” he chuckled.
 
His minions began to catch on as well. “Those two ladies would be an ideal trap to force Masked Rider into surrendering his powers to you, Sire.” said Double-Face.
 
There was suddenly a dispute over who would get to perform the mission. Cyclopter offered, then so did Gork, but Dregon had insisted. “Nefaria… I'm putting you in charge of this mission.”
 
“WHAT?!” Gork and Cyclopter said at once. Nefaria flicked her hand like a lady passing by ruffians. “It will be an honor to serve you on this mission, My Count.” she said to Dregon.
 
Dregon handed her a capsule, “The Kuwagatron shall be your aid in setting the trap. I needn't remind you how IMPORTANT it is you not fail me this time.”
 
Nefaria took the capsule, “With a plan like this, I don't see how I can fail.”
 
 
Lunchtime in the cafeteria again, and what a surprise, Cassie bought Davis lunch, since he paid pretty much everything for the rose, and she wanted to spend time with him, much to Kari's dismay yet again.
 
She couldn't stop staring at Davis, and hoped he'd glance back at her. Kari was suddenly brought back to Earth by TK. “Kari…? Earth to Kari.” He called, “I don't think it's cool to put salt in your pudding.
 
Kari's eyes widened and sucked her lips in when she realized a mountain of salt on her dessert. “Oh, no! Look hat I've done” she groaned as she tried to scrap off the mess.
 
“More like what you were doing…” Ken said hinting that Kari was ogling Davis again. The others all decided not even to bother and lecture her this time. Too annoyed with both her, and repeating themselves.
 
Besides, they had other things to worry about. Gennai had email and said he was probably considering opening up the digital-gates again, but just for them and their Digimon, and that it would be great to have their assistance in the threat, which he still had not explained.
 
However, until he was able to send some special equipment through, which they would desperately be needing, the gates remained sealed.
 
“Why is he going out of his way to keep secrets from us?” Yolei said.
 
“Whatever it is, it must be something bigger than we ever saw before.” said Ken.
 
TK wasn't so sure. After the battles with Maylo-Myotismon, what could possibly be bigger and badder than that? “What do you think, Ka-- …Kari?” she was gone…
 
Outside, far away from Davis and Cassie, and the pain that was building up inside of her. She rested her back against the wall and slid down to the ground. “What am I doing…?” she asked herself. “I know I love him, but how can I tell him when it doesn't feel right? On the other hand, I could lose him forever.”
 
She was snapped out of her trance when a shadow fell over her. She gazed up and SCREAMED as a giant bug carried her off. Sadly, nobody saw or heard her.
 
 
After lunch, Davis and TK were in a class together with Kari. “Where is she?” TK asked.
 
“Thought she was with you…?” added Davis.
 
They both assumed she was just running late, but by the time class had started she hadn't come, and the teacher was very surprised. Kari was usually never late like this.
 
Suddenly, there was an announcement over the school's P.A, which told them that now Cassie was reported missing. Davis' eyes widened, “Cassie…?” He had a really bad feeling about this.
 
By the end of the school day, neither Kari nor Cassie had been seen. The others were plenty worried, but not as worried as Davis was. He suddenly began to wonder if maybe this was no coincidence, and when he got to his locker he discovered a black envelope with a yellow feather on it, confirming his belief.
 
He opened the letter, and it magic became a hologram in his locker, “Ah! Nefaria…?!” he hissed.
 
“Greetings Masked Rider. By now you must be well aware of what is happening. If you ever want to see your little friends again, you'll come to the monorail-tracks southwest of Obadia, and be prepared to make an offer you cannot refuse.”
 
The message faded, and the entire note disintegrated in a flare. Davis coughed and waved the smoke away. “Davis, what's that?” TK asked. Davis quickly slammed his locker shut, “Uh… nothing… err… probably just my science project got wrong.” he lied.
 
“But you already handed your project in, a week ago.” Ken said.
 
Davis just lied in saying, “Uh… that's just a prototype. Right now I gotta go.”
 
“Whoa, wait go where?” Yolei called to him, but he was already out of sight. “How can he just run off like this? Cassie and Kari are both missing.”
 
TK eased her down, “He's probably just going to look for them, like WE should be doing…” The others agreed and ran off to look for the girls…
 
But only Davis really knew where to look. He had dashed to the back-alley, and transformed. “Ectophase, Activate!”
 
MASKED RIDER…!
 
MASKED RIDER…!
 
“Veemon, Rev-up! Mode-Blue!”
 
“Veemon, Rev-Change to; CHOPPER-VEEMON!”
 
Soon the partners were on their way. Davis' body was raging with fury. “If Nefaria hurts so much as a hair on Kari she'll pay dearly!”
 
“What about Cassie?” Chopper-Veemon asked. “Aren't you worried about her too?”
 
Davis suddenly realized that he had said Kari's name first. One would think he was more concerned about her her safety “Yeah… I am worried about Cassie too. I won't let Nefaria get away with this. Come on, step on it already!”
 
“I'm going! I'm going!”
 
 
At top speed, they had reached their destination, outside of town, and found the correct monorail tracks located in an vacant area with old run-down buidings. “This must be place.” Davis said as he dismounted. “You stay here, Chopper-Veemon. I'll signal if I need you.”
 
“Will do, Davis.”
 
Davis leapt up onto the rooftops of the old abandoned buildings. Then he called out into the darkness, “Here I am, Nefaria. Show yourself!”
 
Suddenly, she appeared on a metal tower. “Hmm, mm, mm…! Welcome, Masked Rider.” she hissed.
 
“All right, you've had your fun…” Davis snapped. “Where are the girls?”
 
Nefaria's eyes twinkled with flares, and with a snap of her fingers. “Kari…?” She was dangling on a rope, with a muffler across her mouth, and hanging perfectly over the middle of the monorail-tracks…
 
…And, “Cassie!” She was dangling underneath the tracks and suspended over a bramble of clutter, and waste. If she were to fall, she'd be hurt very badly. Both girls gazed at Masked Rider and fidgeted about trying to beg for help.
 
Davis could see where this was going, and Neferia already confirmed that the Monorail was on its way, and in five minutes it would come through, smack hard into Kari, and cut Cassie loose.
 
There was no way Davis could save them both on his own. “And if you're thinking that you're companion can help you, guess again.” Nefaria hissed, and she WHISTLED loudly, and out of the darkness flew a large monster. “Kuwagatron, here!” he hissed, “and I'm in a mood for a nice chewy Masked Rider motorbike!”
 
He landed by Chopper-Veemon, and told him to stay where he was. “Uh… okay… nice big fella.”
 
“GRR! That's all I needed.” Davis grumbled. “What am I going to do now?” Davis wondered aloud. He could hear the monorail coming, and getting closer. With Chopper-Veemon unable to move, what was he going to do?
 
“Four minutes. You still have time…” Nefaria said, “Surrender your powers willingly and these girls will be spared.”
 
Davis knew it was going to come to that, and as much as he knew the Masked Rider powers were too important to give up, he knew he couldn't risk the lives of the girls, nor Chopper-Veemon.
 
“Three minutes!”
 
Davis gazed at the girls; he gazed at Kari the most. “Two minutes…!” growled Nefaria.
 
“ALL RIGHT…!” Davis shouted. “I'll give you my powers.”
 
“What?!” cried Chopper-Veemon, “You can't be serious. Dai-- I mean… Boss!
 
Nefaria smiled extremely wickedly, and then snapped her fingers motioning for Kwuagatron to come to her side. By this point, the train was just coming round the bend and almost at the girls.
 
“I knew you'd eventually come to your senses.” Nefaria said as she moved closer towards Davis with Kwuagatron by her side. “Now… give us yours and make it snappy.” Growled Kwuagatron.
 
Davis held out his hands.
 
“Boss, No!” cried Chopper-Veemon. The girls were shaking their heads and moaning very loudly, but Davis kept his hands out. “I'll give you my powers.” he said again.
 
Nefaria and Kuwagatron gazed wicked at each other and reached for his D3, and that's when Davis gave them each a “RIDER-PUNCH!” Sending Kwuagatron flying into a trash pile, and Nefaria fell over. “ARGH…!”
 
“There! I gave you my powers!” he mocked at them. Nefaria held her face in the most extreme outrage. “A trick!” she roared. “You'll pay for that!” but when she turned she saw that Davis had leapt up to the tracks and cut Kari loose, and Chopper-Veemon had saved Cassie just before the train went by.
 
“Get them to safety, Chopper-Veemon.”
 
“You got it, Boss.” His bike answered, “Hang on ladies, we're going fast.”
 
“Wait…!” Kari cried. “Masked Rider…Please…!” but Chopper-Veemon had already taken her and Cassie out of sight.
 
Davis was relieved the girls were safe, but the moment he turned round, “TRAP SCISSORS!” he was hit by surprise by Kuwagatron. “WHUP…! UGH-OHH…!”
 
“Let him have it, Kuwagatron!” Nefaria shouted. “No one defaces Nefaria and gets away with it!”
 
Kuwagatron nodded, “Yeah! HURAH--!”
 
Davis quickly got to his feet. “And no one makes a fool of Masked Rider, either!” The fight was on. “For what you did to those innocent girls, I've never forgive you!”
 
He was really going hard at it. He dodged all of the monster's attacks with perfection and didn't waste a punch or kick of his own. “I'll slice you in half for this!” growled Kwuagatron.
 
“In your dreams…!” Davis sneered, “ELECTRO-SABER!”
 
“You think you're puny sword will get me? Try again you little termite!”
 
Davis leapt up high and poised his sword out, “…FIRE!” KAPOW! “BWOA-AAAH… UGHL---!” Kuwagatron was gone, EXPLODED into nothing. Nefaria saw no choice to retreat. “Don't think that this is over!” she yelled.
 
Davis stood tall and proud, “It'll take more than that to beat Masked Rider.”
 
 
Nefaria was still complaining about the giant bruise on her face.
 
Gork felt sorry for her, “What a terrible mess…
…Masked Rider did your face.”
 
Nefaria turned and growled fiercely, “YOU TAKE THAT BACK!”
 
While they continued to argue, Dregon was boiling with rage. “I'll not let you get away with this, Masked Rider!”
 
 
Davis made it back to town, and home late, but his family would understood wholeheartedly, because they knew why…
 
Davis was relieved this mission was over, but it opened his eyes that he was almost beaten this time. Dregon and his forces were getting better. This meant he'd have to start training a little extra whenever he could.
 
The first thing he did when he got home, was he called up Cassie to see she was okay. “I'm okay Davey, but I wish you could've seen it.” she was hinting about Masked rider letter her ride his motorbike.
 
All in all she was fine, that's when Davis also decided to check up on Kari. She was fine too, “I'm kinda glad you called…” she said. “I was hoping to talk to someone since I got home.”
 
“Sure, I got free time.” Davis said. They chatted for a while, and when they realized it was getting late the promised they'd see each other tomorrow at school. Davis just realized, “What the heck was that…?” He had just been speaking to Kari for a long time, and not in just a friendly way.
 
“I think Kari likesh you, Davish.” Veemon said. “She wouldn't shtop talking about you when I dropped her off.”
 
Davis stretched out across his bed. “Kari likes me?” he wondered. You'd think he'd be jumping for joy and bragging aloud at full volume, but he just lay there. “Kari likes me.” he peeped softly. “What am I going to do?”
 
“What can I do…?”
 
Whatever it was, he decided to sleep on it, and deal with it another day.
 
 
Is Davis ready to admit to Kari how he really feels…?
 
Will Cassie's grip on Davis never cease…?
 
Is Nefaria's face scarred for life…?
 
And is Veemon considering becoming a ladies chauffer…?
 
All this and many more, on the next exciting episode of… MASKED RIDER!