Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ The Real Me is Not the One You See ❯ Into the Air ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Chapter Three

Matt lunged at me, and I quickly dodged to the left, ducking under his fist. He whirled around, and threw a punch at my face, which I dodged by jumping back. Next time I let him punch me in the stomach. (I had tightened the muscles, so it didn't hurt.) He went after me again, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw TK running forward, yelling at him to stop. He was coming right between us, and Matt couldn't stop. I jumped in front of TK and shoved him to the ground, taking the hit right in the rib cage. It knocked me down, and knocked the wind out of me. It only took me a few seconds to get my wind back, and then, boy was I mad. Earlier, I had been wearing some dark shades that I had taken off only while we were flying, but now they lay forgotten on the ground, and anyone who could see my eyes new that I was way beyond mad. My eyes flashed like lightning, and were narrowed dangerously, focused on Matt. Ze reared, and screamed, "Lana! No!!!" "Lana?" said a scared voice near my feet. I looked down, and felt ashamed. TK was looking at me with fear in his eyes. "Aw man, I'm sorry little guy. I didn't mean to scare you." I said, and got down and hugged him. "You alright?" I asked him, all traces of anger now gone. "I'm okay. Just a little shaken up." he said, giving a weak smile. "Are YOU okay, Lana?" asked Kari, coming forward and taking my hand. "Never better!" I said, lying through my teeth. She looked unconvinced, and lifted up my shirt a little to look at where Matt had hit me. There was an ugly bruise there, and when Kari touched it, I winced in pain, but grinned and shrugged. Ze trotted up to all of us on the ground there, and dropped my shades in my lap. "Thanks." I said, slipping them in my vest pocket. "TK! Are you ok?" asked Matt, kneeling down next to his brother. I looked at Kari and rolled my eyes, mouthing "Boys." then turned back to look at him. "I believe he's already been asked that once, Matt." He looked at me, and said angrily, "This is all your fault!" I looked at him in disbelief, then shook my head, and said to Ze, "Time for us to jet, sista." "You said it." she growled, looking at Matt. "Where are you going?!" exclaimed Kari. I looked at her and ruffled up her hair. "Don't worry about it." I said to her, and jumped on Ze's back. "Wait!" said Sora. "Look, I know you and Matt don't get along, but you're a digi-destined like us! You could be of a big help! What have you got to lose?" she reasoned. "How about my sanity?" I growled, refusing to look at her. "Please?" asked Kari, looking at me with those big eyes. "Dang." I muttered, and sighed. "Fine. I'll stay, but only for a couple of nights."

***3 weeks later***

"How do I get myself into these messes?" I asked myself as I watched the stars from my spot on the camping site of the digi-destined. "Someone needs to go get wood. We're running out." said Tai, prodding the fire. I got up and stretched, popping my back. "I'll get it. I was bored anyway." I volunteered, walking into the woods. Sora smiled at my retreating back. "That girl really is something else." she said. She'd been like my big sister ever since we met. Matt snorted. We were still not on very good terms with eachother, but we had managed to stand eachother enough so that we didn't drive all the others crazy. He still insulted me now and then on my habit of wearing only black, and sleeping far away from the others, and I still called him "Blondie" and had to knock him down once in a while to keep him in line, but other than that, we ignored eachother. Well, except for when the kids were involved. I couldn't say 'no' to them to save my life, and they knew it. And yeah, I still had my 'Bad Girl' thing going. It almost made me forget that I was really a sweet heart in real life, who was as willing to give advice as Sora. Anyway, back to the story. "'What' is the question." Matt said. Sora frowned at him. "You could be a little more nice. After all, you two have a lot in common." "What do I have in common with HER?!" he asked. "Well, your both loners, you both are protective of TK, neither one of you likes to take orders from Tai most of the time, and you both have great hair!" she finished, grinning at him. He stared at her and said, "How can you tell?! She's always got it tucked under that beret!" "Trust me on this." she said. "She let me use her shampoo yesterday, and we both washed our hair." "Miss Leave-Me-the-Heck-Alone shared her shampoo? Wonder if she's got a fever?" he chuckled. Sora shook her head. "You don't understand Matt. She's really a sweet heart, but I think she thinks she needs to act tough around you." He winced, touching the bruise from yesterday's 'encounter'. "She's doing a pretty good job of 'acting' then." he stated. "I get the feeling she's had lots of practice." Sora said softly, as I came back out of the woods.

"Lana!" said TK and Kari, in the morning, running up to me. "Can we go for a ride? We've got everything else done." "You up for a ride, Ze?" I called to my partner. She stood up and shook her wings. "Sure! Let's go! I was starting to get bored." she said, and trotted over to us. "Hey, while you guys are up there, could you look around to see if you spot anything unusual?" asked Izzy, looking up from his computer. I nodded, and gave the two kids a lift onto Ze's back. "Can I go next?" Mimi piped up. "You better not have spurs on those boots." kidded Ze. "Ok, just let US do the flying." I told her. I had a feeling she was the type of person who would scream "PULL UP!!" every five minutes. As Ze, the kids, and me took off, I didn't notice Matt glaring up at me.

"You and Matt don't like eachother, do you?" TK asked me, as we flew through the clouds. While we're flying is one of the main ways we have serious discussions. I grimaced. "Not really." I told him. "Why don't you trust people, Lana?" asked Kari as she hugged my waist when we swerved. I thought about that for a while, and said, "Where I come from, it's hard to tell who's your friend, and who's not. It's easier just to assume they all aren't, and move on." I told her. "Well, all of us here are your friends. You can trust us." said Ze. I nodded, "You got it." and smiled. "Uh, now that you trust us, mind wearing some color?" asked TK. I laughed, and said, "Touch down Ze, I'll go change." We stopped in the woods, and when I came out of the woods, I was dressed in jeans, a green camouflage T-shirt that said, "Top Secret Angel", white shoes, and had my hair up in a ponytail. "Much better." said Kari with a grin. "Cool, now let's go do that search for Izzy." I ordered. As we were flying, we didn't really see anything interesting, but we did find a really big tree. "Alright, let's go back." I said, remembering that Mimi wanted a ride too.

When we landed, I didn't notice everyone was staring until I helped the kids off. I looked back at them, and then spun a slow circle. "Well?" I asked them. Matt snorted. "So you DO have colored clothes. I'm amazed." I smiled sweetly at him, and said, "Well, it beats wearing the same clothes EVERY SINGLE DAY." "I think it looks nice." said Sora, smiling at me. I grinned back, and Mimi rushed forward. "Let's go!" she cried, jumping on Ze's back. I jumped on after her and said "Hang on!" After we flew off, Tai turned to Kari and TK. "What did you SAY to her?!" he asked, looking bewildered.

"Where do you want to go?" I asked her after we had been flying for a bit. "I think I need to go back." she whimpered, looking fearfully down at the ground. Ze gave a laugh-like whinny, and I said, "Alright. Let's go back Ze."

When we got back, everyone was gathered around Izzy's computer. "What's going on?" I asked. "Gennia found another prophecy." Joe said. I rolled my eyes, and walked off with Ze. Neither one of us really believed in that stuff, it was just to far-fetched for us. We were just sitting there, listening to music on my radio, when Sora and the kids walked up to me. "What's up?" I asked, looking at their worried faces. "Lana, do you know anything about ancient prophecies?" asked Sora, sounding like she was embarrassed. I shrugged, "I know what they are, I just don't believe in them." I told her. Ze looked at them, suspiciously. "Why?" she asked. "It doesn't matter." Sora said, and dropped down on the ground next to me. "What were you doing before we met you?" asked Kari, tapping her foot to the music. "Just wandering around mostly." I said, and turned up the volume so she could hear it better. "Come on everyone!" shouted Tai. "Time to leave!" "One day I'm going to strangle that boy." I groaned.