Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ To Freedom ❯ Reunited ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Wings

Digimon does not belong to me. This writing does.

Chapter 6 - Reunited

"Ken here yet?" Miyako asked, whispering in Daisuke's ear.

"'Yako!" Daisuke said, as he turned around to face her.

"Don't sneak up on me like that," he said.

Miyako giggled.

"Well?"

"No, not yet."

"Don't worry. He'll get here."

"He'd better."

Miyako smiled.

"How could he not," she said, "with you waiting here for him? Anyway, Dai, do I looked good?"

Miyako did a little twirl. She was wearing a purple dress, a shade darker than her hair and embroidered with light blue thread.

"Very nice," Daisuke told her, patting her hair. It was done up in elaborate plaits, and Daisuke wondered briefly who had done it.

Miyako grinned.

"You don't look so bad yourself," she said, "Even with the lunatic hair. The red suits you."

"Of course. You did pick it. How did you end up in charge of my wardrobe anyway?"

Miyako winked.

"That, Daisuke dear, is classified information."

"Oh, sure it is. I can't believe I'm having a conversation about clothes.

"Strange for us both. Well, are you going to walk down these stairs or not?" Miyako asked, gesturing to the darkly polished staircase that led down to the dance floor.

"Hah. I only wish I could enter so anonymously. Go on without me. See if you can find Ken."

"Sure," Miyako said, and left Daisuke alone at the top of the stairs.

Later, Daisuke was on the dance floor, `mingling'. At the moment he was dancing, with one of the princesses his mother favoured. Daisuke didn't. She was vain, and she had no sense of humour, which was perhaps the worst of the sins.

She led the whole of the dance, which Daisuke was grateful for. He didn't have the attention for it at the moment - to busy watching the door.

What is Ken didn't come?

The musicians drew to the end of the song, the dancing stopped. The princess curtsey with an arrogant smile. Daisuke bowed, and got away as quickly as he could. He would find Miyako. She would put an end to this tedium.

Miyako, however, was busy. Daisuke could hardly see her; so many people were crowded around her. Daisuke smiled to himself. Miyako had always been very popular with the courteans. Daisuke couldn't remember the number of times she'd been asked for her hand in marriage. There was no memory whatsoever of her saying yes. She argued about it regularly with her parents. They had dreams for their daughter that their daughter didn't.

They seem to have given up, lately. Miyako was so stubborn even for them, it seemed.

Daisuke sighed, and headed towards the ballroom door. He would wait for Ken there.

Daisuke waited a long time, and left many ladies upset and insulted at his refusals to dance. His mother would not be impressed. Tough. There were two more balls after this one - she would just have to cope.

Daisuke waited some more. What was keeping Ken? The sun had set two hours ago, at least.

Daisuke kept waiting.

And eventually, the doors opened.

"Ken!" Daisuke squealed, and ran up to boy, excitedly.

"Daisuke," Ken said, nervously.

"Oh Ken, I was afraid you were never going to get here! What took you so long?"

Ken looked at Daisuke oddly. Then he laughed,

"Finding something to where. Isn't the prince usually supposed to send his princess beautiful dresses?"

"Uh," Daisuke said, and blushed, "maybe. I'm sorry - if I'd known - I should've done, oh, um..."

Ken smiled a not very nice smile at Daisuke,

"It's alright."

Daisuke frowned.

"Ken?" he asked.

"Yes."

"Um - are you alright?"

Ken looked confused.
"I'm fine," he said.

"Oh," Daisuke said, wrinkling his nose, "I guess." Then he brightened.

"I'm glad you're here, Ken. I hate these stupid ball things. So many people, all dressed up, and dancing - I've never liked dancing much. The whole event is just ridiculous!"

"I know," Ken said, smiling at Daisuke, "But I'm hoping you'll make an exception to dance with me."

"Of course!" Daisuke smiled back.

"First though," he said, "I'd better tell Miyako you're here. She'll want to say hello, if we can drag her away from her admirers."

"Admirers?"

"I don't get it either. Come on, we can dance later!"

"Alright then," Ken said, and let himself be dragged along.