Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Twelve Angry People ❯ The Jury ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

PROLOUGE
 
It has been ten years since Maylo-Myotismon had been defeated and peace finally restored to the Digital world. The twelve Digi-destined had grown up a lot since then, and changed a bit too as they matured as adults; all of them college graduates and seeking out their dream goals.
 
Tai was becoming a diplomat, and had been offered jobs in many fine agencies. He was trying to decide which the best was. He also even married Davis' older sister Jun., though for the life of none of the others knew why…
 
“You just don't know her like I do…”
 
Davis' sister had matured a lot, and went to medical school. She was now a fine young doctor and chief of the women's medical staff too. She and Tai were expecting their first child soon.
 
Matt and Sora were married too, and Sora had become a fine fashion-designer where she and Biyomon made their own set of clothes. Matt on the other hand had been appointed as an astronaut, and had just returned from very first ever trip to the moon… only he could've done better not having to come back and catch a cold.
 
Mimi moved back to Japan years back, and she and Michael really seemed to be hitting it on. Michael worked as the set decorator behind Mimi's new cooking show. The others were constantly waiting for Michael to pop the question to her.
 
Joe was coming along fine too. The guy who started out as a kid who wet his pants over his own shadow was now a mature young man and a fine doctor as well. He was very calculated in his situations these days and tried his best never to overlook anything.
 
Izzy was still the harebrained genius everyone knew and loved. He and his wife had just opened up their very first computer-lab where they continued to study the Digital world. They too were also expecting their first child soon.
 
Cody was attending law school to become an attorney, and he had sat on a few juries to help him study cases. He was no longer a stuck-up and stubborn guy, and he learned to use his grandfather's old ways of judging people wisely.
 
Yolei and Ken were married, and some were calling Yolei a fortune teller as she once had admitted she wanted to marry Ken. She still ran her family's convenience store but was really looking forward to being a normal housewife, still… she wasn't ready for kids yet, and neither was Ken who was working with the police to become a detective.
 
TK was working to become a novelist, and his penname was “Hope May Kar” The name was his girlfriend's idea. TK was a fine guy, but he still tended to lose his head every now and then when it came to evil and injustice.
 
Davis and Kari… Well no believed how, or why it was happening, but they were getting hitched pretty soon. Davis had changed a lot over the years, and was not as obnoxious as he used to be. Apart from being known as the most invincible Digi-destined in the world, who never let anything get him down, Davis opened his first Noodle stand which by now had evolved into a chain of stands, carts, and restaurants, and that made him a lot of money.
 
Kari however had become a preschool teacher, and her hair had grown longer too. Some say she was marrying Davis because of his money, but that wasn't it at all! They began dating a long time ago in high school. Davis wanted to prove himself worthy to Kari and he did. Kari fell hard and fast…
 
 
Yes our friend had really grown up and matured a lot, but today however they were all called into court as a jury…
 
Ever since ten years ago, the Digital world had been accepted into a normal society and a place held-up by the laws of humans and Digimon. To ensure that evil, and crime was kept a low level, the laws of civilization were called into action; the Laws of the real world now applied to the laws of the Digital-world as well.
 
If anyone, human or Digimon alike, were to commit a crime; theft, murder, and all that stuff, that person or Digimon would be punished by law and order. Humans would stick to their own ways, and Digimon would have trials run by Digimon, but still obey the laws.
 
Today was one of the most serious of charges. An eighteen year-old punk kid was accused of murdering his father's Digimon-partner in the first degree, which ended up in having his father die of a broken heart, a second degree murder charge. That Digimon was destroyed, but was able to be reconfigured, but the father was dead. Regardless these charges were not going un-noticed.
 
A murder was a murder, and today the trial was being held to decide what was to be done with the boy. All twelve of the original Dig destined was called to act as the jury as they were all the greatest in the world. Michael and Willis were there to serve as alternates, in case any of the others needed to be substituted.
 
The cases were presented, and so was all the evidence, which included a small revolver, one like the kind many punk kids would be seen with.
 
The only two eye witnesses called to the stand consisted of an old man, whom everyone noticed was walking with a cane and dragging his left leg due to him having a stroke a year ago.
 
The second was a middle-aged woman, who lived across the street form the boy's apartment. She was making desperate efforts to make herself look young and pretty as this was her first public appearance and she was shamed by her looks. She also seemed to be rubbing the side of her nose a lot, though it was never questioned why.
 
Now it had reached the point where the judge was explaining to the Digi-destined about what they were to do…
 
“To continue…” he said deeply yet clearly. “You've all listened to a long and complex case, murder in the first and second degree. These are the most serious of offences mankind has known to date.”
 
“You've all listened to the testimony, and have the laws read and interpreted as it applies to the case. Now it shall be your duty as a jury to sit down, talk, and use the best of your judgment and mental abilities to separate the facts from the fancy. One man is dead… His Digimon Partner is still dead, and now another man's life is at stake.”
 
“If there is a reasonable doubt in your minds as to the guilt of the accused, then you must bring me a verdict of Not Guilty. If, however, you have no reasonable doubt, then you must in good conscience, find the accused Guilty.”
 
“However whichever way you decide, in a case like this your verdict must be unanimous. If in the event you do not, the trial will have to be repeated with a new selective jury. In the event if you should find the accused Not Guilty, there the accused shall be released with a complete pardon, and eventually further details will need to be verified.”
 
“But if… in the event you find the accused Guilty, the bench will entertain no mercy, and no privileges. The in the cases of first and second-degree murder such as these… I'm afraid that the mandatory sentence is death!”
 
There was a brief pause of silence in the courtroom as those who had gathered there gasped in fear. All fourteen of the Digi Destined gazed upon the accused each with different feelings and judgment… some even more serious than others, particularly TK, Joe, and Matt.
 
The judge sighed heavily and stated. “You are all faced with a very grave, and difficult responsibility. That will be all, thank you folks.”
 
With that, the bailiff stood up, and told Michael and Willis. “As you two alternate jurors are no longer needed, you two men are excused.” Michael Willis were both disappointed, but they wished the others luck as they got up and left. As for the other twelve, “The jury will now retire.”
 
With that, all twelve of the Dig Destined got up from their respective seats in the jury-stand and began to leave the room, each pausing only a moment to gaze back the teenaged boy who seemed frightened out of his head, and tears in his eyes.
 
It was now up to all twelve of those people leaving the courtroom to decide whether he would go free… or be sentenced to death.
 
TWELVE ANGRY PEOPLE!
 
Starring
 
Davis Motomiya as Juror #8
 
With
 
TK Takashi as Juror #3
 
Matt Ishida as Juror #10
 
Joe Idha as Juror #4
 
Tai Kaymiya as Juror #7
 
And
 
Izzy Izumi as Juror #1
 
Mimi Tachikawa as Juror #2
 
Kari Kaymiya as Juror #5
 
Sora Takenouchi/Ishida as Juror #6
 
Cody Hida as Juror #9
 
Ken Ichijouchi as Juror #11
 
Yolei Inoue/Ichijouchi as Juror #12
 
 
Author's notes:
 
Now like I said… this is going to be all talk, no action or stuff like that.
 
Also, I gave each DD their respective role through a judgment of fairness based on their character, and the characters of the jurors they play.
 
Also… as they are all adults now, and they've GROWN UP AND CHANGED a little… that means they will have to act OOC, that's necessary, as well as mandatory when growing up.