Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Twelve Angry People ❯ There's always one ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER ONE
 
It was very hot day, the kind where you should be outside and enjoying yourself, and where were all twelve of the Digi Destined? They were piling into a standard Jury-Room in the courthouse.
 
Twelve seats were place around a large table in the middle of the room, five on each side, and one each at the head and back.
 
The air conditioning was malfunctioning that day and was out of action, but at least there was a water cooler, and the windows could open to let in some air. There were also Men and Women's bathrooms in the back, where Cody had disappeared too instantly after holding it in for so long. Finally there was a coat-closest in case anyone wanted to take off their jackets, or hang up other things.
 
Tai, Davis and Sora opened each of the windows and took a breath of fresh air. “Whew! Man! You know what…?” Tai said. “I checked the weather this morning, and this is officially dubbed as the hottest day of the year.”
 
Sora wiped her brow with a tissue. “You said it. I hope the air-conditioning kicks in soon.” she said. “Maybe I should design a fashion-wear in which sweat actually cleans the suit.”
 
The two shared a laugh…
 
The bailiff had finished doing the role count. “Alright folks, everyone's present. Now just remember I'll be right outside the door if you need anything, just knock.”
 
With that, he left out the door to the Jury-Room and locked it, much to Kari's surprise. “Gee… I never knew they locked door.” she said to Matt.
 
Matt rubbed his slightly stuffed-nose with his Kleenex. “Yeah… they lock it alright.” he said. “It's like we have to stay in here until we reach a verdict or something. Oh wait, that's just it.”
 
They shared a laugh, and then they noticed Izzy, who was acting as the Jury foremen at the head of the table as he was the smartest, was tearing up little cards of paper. “What? Oh this…?” he asked. “Oh, I figured maybe we might want to vote by ballot. You know the old fashioned way?”
 
Matt chuckled “I guess something never change.” Then he coughed slightly. “What's the matter Matt, you still recovering from that cold?” Tai asked.
 
“And how…” Matt answered. “At least that drug Joe prescribed kicked in great.”
 
“Well just remember not to overuse it.” Joe warned him, “It might end you up acting all loud-mouth and pushy like you used to be.”
 
“Aw come on, now…” Matt said. “I can take it…” but everyone else rolled their eyes and sighed. Matt was right, some thing just never changed.
 
As everyone else continued to pace round the room chatting, TK sat down beside Mimi. “Hey, what's up?” he said kindly to her.
 
Mimi giggled, and sweated a little partially because of the heat. “Oh, I don't know… I've never been on a jury before. I'm like scared and excited all at the same time.”
 
As wiped his eyes, “I almost fell asleep in there. I don't need have gone to law school to see that's its just an open-an-closed case. Piece of cake…”
 
Mimi wasn't concerned there, “Well, everyone's entitled to an opinion.”
 
“Yeah, but when are they going to actually mean anything at all. Boy, I'd like to slap all those evil creeps away so none of this ever happens” replied TK. “Ah, come on lets get started here.”
 
Many of the others agreed, but Izzy wasn't ready yet. “We should wait first… Cody's still in the bathroom…we should wait for him.”
 
Everyone agreed, ad decided to wait on it.
 
Yolei crossed over to Davis, who was still standing near the window with a queer look on his face as if he was really deep in thought. “You feeling okay?” she asked.
 
Davis looked up, “Yeah… yeah I'm fine.” he answered.
 
Yolei explained that she didn't know why, but she felt glad to be on the jury for a murder case. “It'll give me and Ken a story to tell our kids so they don't get messed up.” she said. “Who knows… maybe you and Kari will tell that to your kids someday.”
 
She laughed, and so did Kari. “Easy now Yolei, the marriage comes first.” Kari said, then she cast a smile at Davis who smiled back at her, yet Kari could sense that Davis was being bothered by something.
 
Tai check his watch, “Oh, come on, Izzy! Are we going to get started here or what?”
 
“Well Cody's still in the bathroom.” Izzy answered.
 
Ken could see that Tai was walking around in an impatient manner, and checking his watch a lot. “My detective skills conclude that you've got plans tonight?” he asked.
 
Tai was amazed at how smart Ken was, “You bet'cha I do.” He answered. “Jun's working the night-shift at the hospital tonight, so I got a whole evening to myself.” he reached into his suit-pocket. “I don't know about the rest of you, but I happen to have tickets tot hat soccer-game tonight. It promises to be a biggie.”
 
After a while, Cody came out from the bathroom, and Izzy decided, “Okay guys, let's take our seats now.” and at once everyone began to sit in around the table in order by jury-number.
 
1: Izzy…
 
2: Mimi…
 
3: TK…
 
4: Joe…
 
5: Kari…
 
6: Sora…
 
7: Tai…
 
8: Was Davis' seat…
 
9: Cody…
 
10: Matt…
 
11: Ken…
 
12: Yolei…
 
“Ahh reunited with my lost love.” Ken Joked as he sat beside his wife. Yolei giggled, and they shared a quick kiss. “Uh, hey, guys… save that for later.” Izzy suggested. “Okay now, is everyone here?”
 
“Davis…? Davis…!”
 
Davis turned and realized everyone else had taken their seats. “Sorry, I was miles away.” He said as he took his seat between Cody and Tai.
 
“Heh…! You thinking about you and Kari huh, the end of the month...?” Tai joked. The other shared a soft yet playful giggle, Davis and Kari both blushed as it was true their wedding was at the end of the month.
 
Everyone then quieted down so Foremen Izzy could begin the debate. “Now you guys can handle this however you want, I'm just going to try and keep things organized.” he explained. “Now, we can talk about it first before we vote on it… or if you'd prefer we can vote right now and then talk.”
 
“Well, I think it would custom if we take a preliminary vote.” Joe suggested. “That way we'll know where we stand and know where to talk about it.”
 
“I'm up for that…” Tai said, and soon the other began to agree.
 
Izzy reminded everyone, that they were looking at a first and second degree murder charges, “And if we vote the accused Guilty… we have to send him to death by lethal injection. That's mandatory.”
 
Seeing as how everyone was well aware of that, it was time to start voting, and everyone kept in mind that the vote, by law, had to be unanimous; whereas all twelve votes were the same. If even one vote was off, a verdict would not be passed.
 
“Now… all those voting Guilty, please raise your hands…” Izzy instructed. Everyone raised their hand, even Izzy did… except for Davis who kept his hands down. “Okay, that's eleven-Guilty.” Izzy calculated. “And all those voting Not Guilty, raise your hands…”
 
Davis raised his hand, and everyone was staring at him as if he were the on trial. “That's Eleven-Guilty… One-Not Guilty.” replied Izzy. “Well… at least know where we are now.”
 
Matt couldn't help but chuckle mockingly at Davis for his vote. “Boy, oh, boy…! There's always one.”
 
Tai shrugged his shoulders. “Well so much for that…” he said. “What do we do now?”
 
“I guess we talk about it…” Davis said.
 
TK gave Davis a queer look. “You really think he's innocent?”
 
Davis hesitated for a moment, and then admitted. “I… I don't know.”
 
TK tried to convince Davis that this punk-kid was a dangerous killer, despite the fact that he was seventeen years old. “He killed his father's Digimon, and his father died after that from a heart attack… I mean what do you want out of this?”
 
“I just want to talk about it.” Davis answered.
 
This was a first coming from Davis, a guy who used to hate even having family meetings. “Look I don't what the point is.” Tai said. “The rest of us here think he's guilty. What do you believe his story…?”
 
Davis shook his head, “I don't know whether I believe it or not. Maybe I don't…” he paused a moment, “But the rest of you voted guilty, I can't just raise my hand and send a human being off to die like that without talking about it, I'm not that cruel a-guy.”
 
“Hey, hey… no one said you were.” replied Tai, and then he noticed Dais giving him a peculiar stare. “What, just because I voted fast…? I honestly think that kid is guilty. You won't change my mind if you yak on for a-million years.”
 
Davis admitted that he wasn't trying to change anybody's mind. He also referred to the time when Ken was the Digimon Kaiser. “Thanks for bringing that up again.” and how Davis and the other accepted him differently.
 
“Look what's the difference here?” Tai asked. “I mean, suppose we sort this whole thing out in five minutes, even if we're wrong.”
 
“Hey, ease up a bit…” Davis said. “You got lots of time. The game doesn't start until late tonight anyway.”
 
Tai made himself comfortable, and soon everyone began to decide to let Davis have his moments. “Okay… well…” he paused to choose his words carefully. “Look… this guy was born in a slum. His mom died when he was little, his dad and his Digimon. In fact… he was sent to a foster home while his father was serving a jail-term for counterfeiting. He's been kicked around all his life… he's wild… he's angry… all this because his father was some whacked out nut who beat on him everyday. Don't you guys think we owe a few words…?”
 
Matt threw his used up tissue away, “Are you kidding?” he said, “We don't owe that kid anything at all. He got a fair trial and the way I see that's more than what he deserved.” As he got up to get more tissues from his suit jacket in the closet, “Look, we heard the facts right? So why should we believe that kid when he makes up a story like that. The way I see it, he's just like all the other kids before and after, nothing but born liars and menaces.”
 
Cody looked Matt dead in the eyes as he got up from his seat, “Only an ignorant man can believe that.” he said sternly.
 
“Now listen, Cody…”
 
But Cody continued by saying, “How would you like it if someone were to misjudge you all your life before anyone even got to know the real you?” then he motioned to the others. “I think certain things should be pointed out to him.”
 
Tai broke up the fighting by saying, “Come on now, this isn't church, we don't need a social council.”
 
“Okay, come on now, take it easy.” added Izzy. “We have a job to do.”
 
Matt and Cody calmed down and retook their seats, but Davis was still not up for changing his vote. What were the others to do?
 
Author's notes
 
Look I know this may be silly to end a chapter this way, but I'd like to try and not make them entirely so big so people don't have to read so much at once. Plus it'll add to the suspense.