Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Wolf ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 3:

"Another drink!" Tai yelled happily.

"Don't you think you have had enough yet?"

"Never!"

Matt laughed at him, but still made sure that he didn't drink anymore. If he remembers correctly, drunk Tai wasn't very much fun.

It appeared however that Matt hadn't stopped Tai soon enough because the boy began to act a little tipsy, and fell off the barstool.

"That's it Tai, we are going to leave."

"Awe, come on man, you're no fun"

Matt ignored him. "You can wait here a moment while, and I will be right back." Matt walked off after helping Tai back on to the barstool.

Matt came back a few moments later to find that Tai wasn't there. "Of course," he mumbled to himself, as he tried to find where the brunette had gone.

Tai never could stay hidden long, and soon Matt saw him out on the dance floor surrounded by people. Matt began to push through the crowd, ignoring people pinching, or rubbing up against him. He caught another quick glimpse, and continued across the packed dance floor.

Tai was still surrounded by both men and women trying to catch his attention. One guy with dark hair especially couldn't seem to keep his hands off Tai. Tai hadn't seen Matt yet, because his eyes were closed.

The guy with dark hair was dancing in front of Tai, so Matt came up behind him ignoring everyone's glares. The guy in front of Tai pulled Tai closer to him, apparently trying to keep Matt away.

Matt slid his hands slowly around Tai's waist, and brought them up across his chest. Tai unconsciously moved away from he other guy and towards Matt. The other guy was now just plain furious, and he jerked Tai up against him, and since Matt had his arms around

Tai, he came as well. Matt and his competition's faces were just a little ways apart over Tai's shoulder.

"Unless you are interested in a threesome, I suggest you let go" The other one hissed at Matt.

Tai's eyes shot open at the mention, and he stiffened against Matt.

"I don't share" Matt shot back in his iciest voice.

Since Matt was behind Tai, Tai couldn't see who it was, and Tai was panicking too much to recognize Matt's voice. Tai began to struggle away from the two. Unfortunately the grips were a little tight, and only got tighter with the struggle.

"Let go of me!" Tai tried to keep his voice low, and not draw a crowd. Two women watched in slight interest. They had seen the brown haired one earlier, and were now just as intrigued by the blonde standing behind him.

"I don't think so cutie," the guy in front of him answered.

Tai couldn't stand it any longer. He quickly kneed the guy in the crotch, and tried to get away again. The man cursed, and pushed Tai backwards. Tai tensed for the fall, but relaxed when it didn't come. The two women slipped back into the crowd.

He felt himself being pulled away from the scene. The guy that was behind him began to laugh.

"Wow Tai, I didn't know you would do that"

Tai relaxed as he recognized Matt's voice in his ear. "I don't unless I feel threatened"

Matt wrapped his arms around Tai again from the behind, and rested his head on Tai's shoulder. "Can we go now?"

"Yeah, I think I have had enough fun."

They walked out of the club and into the night air.

`Of course' Tai thought to himself as they turned down an alley. "Matt, do we have to go this way?"

"No, but its quicker. Why?"

"Because not to nice people hang out down there"

Matt laughed. "Tai that only happens in the movies"

They entered the alley, and Tai clung as close as he could to Matt. Not that Matt minded.

There was suddenly, a cruel laugh. Both boys cringed, but Matt quickly recovered while Tai seemed to continue to get worse.

"Awe what's wrong?" A person stepped out of the shadows. She had her eyes on Tai, and continued to stalk closer.

"Oh, he's a little scared" Another women walked out of the shadows.

Matt pushed Tai behind him; his face remained calm and expressionless.

"Protective?" The first woman asked. She had long black hair.

"Maybe" Matt shrugged.

"I can see why." The second woman said, her eyes still on Tai. She her red hair pulled back in a clip. Both women were wearing black.

"You seem pretty sure of yourselves" Matt's statement sounded more like a question.

"We are"

"You shouldn't be"

"And why is that?"

Matt shrugged again. "Maybe we know something you don't"

Both women stopped their advances and glared at Matt. "That's a bluff."

"Are you sure?"

The women thought a moment. "No, but y'all look worth a little risk taking" The one with the black hair answered.

They seemed intent on forcing the two boys apart, but Tai clung too tightly to Matt.

Matt was observing their moves, trying to analyze a weak spot. He suddenly caught the red head's eye, and she stopped.

Her face flushed red, as she started to back up rapidly, tripping over her own feet. The girl with the black hair stopped to see what was wrong with her friend. "What's up with you? Come on"

"No, no, no, no" The red head began to repeat. "I'm sorry, I can't believe it. I almost did that to you." She started to cry as her friend looked on in confusion.

Matt stayed calm. "You should always observe your opponents closer Sora. You never know who might show up."

"You recognized me?"

"Yes, and that's a bit of luck for you because…………" Matt paused to pull out a gun. "I wasn't bluffing"

The one with the black hair hissed as she saw the gun.

Sora broke down into hysterics, sobbing. "I am so sorry Yamato"

"I don't think you should apologize to me, because I am fine, but you should to him," Matt pointed behind him to where Tai's head was still buried in his back.

Sora's head hung, as she walked up to the man behind Matt. "I'm sorry sir…….." She began, but stopped as she recognized who it was. "Oh my…….Tai!" She began to cry again.

"Sora? Sora! What happened to you?"

Matt smiled at Tai. He might have been just frightened out of his life, but he could still care. Matt's smile quickly disappeared. Tai was really innocent. How long could it last though? Matt promised himself he would try as long as he was alive and able.

A hand waving in front of his face brought Matt out of his thoughts. He instinctively swatted at it, causing a small friendly fight between him and Tai.

Sora sighed as she watched the two. Here she was, a criminal, and there they were still the same. Wait. No, they weren't. There was definitely something different about them.

"Well I am going to go now. This has gone bad." Sora's friend started to walk away, and

Sora began to follow.

"Wait!" Tai called after them "Please Sora, it has been so long. Can we just talk a little?" Tai shot his puppy dog eyes around, and everyone caved.

A few minutes later they found themselves at a small café. Sora's friend's name was Ami. Ami didn't talk much, she mostly just sat there storing up information for later.

Sora was now telling her friends what had happened. During High School she had been dating Jou, and afterwards she still did for a little while. They had to break up when Jou went another med school though, and Sora was pretty heartbroken. She had run through many different guys, until she just ended up bad. Now she was a thief mostly. Ami and her worked together.

By the end of Sora's life story, Tai was blubbering like a baby.

"What have you been doing with your life Tai?" Sora asked after Tai had stopped crying.

"Nothing really. I'm a model now." Tai said it with a shrug.

Matt and Sora's jaws dropped.

"Well that's certainly interesting"

"No, not really, unless I work with Mimi or Kari"

"Mimi and Kari work with you?" Sora asked amazed.

"Sometimes"

"Wow Tai I had no idea" Matt said, "Won't they miss you then?"

"No" Tai said staring hard at his coffee.

Matt and Sora shared a glance of worry for their friend. Sora at this moment decided to leave it. "Anyway," She began "What have you been up to Matt?"

Matt smirked, and thought a moment. "Me and T. K., well I guess you could say we started a business"

"Of what?"

"Drugs, smuggling, and assassinations."

Sora and Tai gasped, but Ami cheered. "Now that's my kind of business!"

"You're kidding right?" Sora asked with a forced laugh.

Matt shrugged. "I wish"

"Ok so let me get this straight" Ami said "All of y'all used to be best friends, but you haven't seen each other in about 4 years."

Everyone nodded, and she continued. "Now, Sora is a thief, Tai is a model, and Matt runs a gang." Everyone nodded again, and Ami burst out laughing. "Oh, oh, I just realized something else! Matt's a member of the Wolves, too!"

Tai looked confused, and Sora stared at Matt. Matt had an unreadable expression on his face.

Ami laughter stopped abruptly, and she turned quickly to stare at Matt a moment. "Oh my…….. You run that gang, don't you? And that means we would have had a lot more to worry about than your gun……………." She dropped off, still staring at Matt.

Sora seemed to take this realization pretty well. "I guess if you have to be in a gang you might as well be the leader of the best."

Matt stared off into the air, thinking hard, and not really paying attention to either girl.

"Hey, you know what?" Tai asked suddenly, breaking the silence. "It's nearly two in the morning. I am getting kind of tired."

"Me too." Matt said quickly standing. "Are you ready to go?"

"Yeah, Bye Sora, it was nice to meet you Ami!" Tai stood following Matt out the door.

"Bye guys!" Sora called after them, but they were already gone.

Matt and Tai had practically run out of the café. Now they had calmed down a little, and were just walking, enjoying each other's company. Both had questions for the other but neither wanted to ask.

"Are you staying with me tonight?" Matt asked Tai as they approached a corner.

"If you don't mind. I don't feel like going home……….where ever that is."

Matt looked questioningly at Tai, but didn't ask anything, and Tai didn't volunteer anything. They reached Matt's apartment, and Tai would have been amazed if he was paying any attention to the world around him. It was decorated a lot like the building he first woke up in, black furniture and carpet.

Instead Tai just fell down on the couch with a heavy sigh. He stretched out, and buried his head under some of the pillows.

"Tai we really need to talk," Matt began, but was interrupted by Tai's extremely loud groan.

Matt sighed as he sat down on a chair near the couch. "Tai, come on. I know we both just want things to go back to what they were like, but it isn't going to happen."

In response, Tai threw a pillow at him.

"Taichi……." He tried again, and this time Tai sat up.

"I know Matt, but can't it wait till the morning?" Tai gave his best puppy dog eyes.

"Fine," Matt stood up and turned his back to Tai. "Just make yourself comfortable. Help yourself to the kitchens. I really don't care. I am going to bed, maybe I will see you in the morning." Matt kept his back to Tai as he walked into another room and shut the door.

Tai stared after him a moment before sleep overcame him and he lay back down on the couch. `Did he say maybe?' Tai asked himself. `I must have misheard him'

Tai was never one to think too hard, and so he fell asleep quickly.

Matt, on the other hand, always seemed to over think things. He had a lot on his mind currently, and knew that he probably wasn't going to get any sleep. Instead, he took a hot shower, put on fresh clothes, and went back to the gang's headquarters.

As he was about to walk out the door, he shot a quick glance at Tai. The boy looked so incredibly peaceful, that Matt almost decided to stay. But he didn't, and instead he gave Tai a kiss on the cheek, left a note, and went out into the fresh night air.