Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Desperation ❯ Flying Lessons ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
CHAPTER 16

Serena's eyes darted back and forth in the dark, the sun just about to rise, from one place to another as they flew over the ocean and above the few clouds that they came across. Serena was amazed how the aqua green stood out from the dark blue that seemed almost black in the night. The two colors of the sea swirled together.

"The blue reminds me of your eyes, Darien," Serena mentioned coyly, blushing at her complement. Darien grinned slightly and Trunks and Goten snickered.

"Hey Serena, when we get back, my dad's going to teach you how to fly," Trunks said causally, hiding his roguish smirk from her.

"That sounds like fun!" Serena giggled.

"Do you want me to show you how I was taught? You'll learn the same way," Trunks asked and Goten had to hold in his laugh, his body shaking from the effort. Darien watched him carefully when he saw his mischievous smile. "It'll only take a second." 'Literally', his inner voice laughed.

"We'll even show this guy," Goten offered, but Darien shook his head, obviously not agreeing with the suggestion.

"That's Darien," Serena told the boys who shrugged at her correction. She thought a moment before replying. "Alright, it sounds like fun…but I don't see any land around here where we could lan-AWWW!!!!" came a high-pitched scream when Serena realized that she was falling again. In the background, she could hear Trunks and Goten laughing hysterically, causing their faces to go red and tears to stream down their faces.

"Serena!!" Darien called out, reaching for her, even though she was already many yards bellow them. He could barely make out her form in the darkness bellow, though he could have sworn he saw a silver aura around her for a split second.

"You want to go after her?" Goten sniggered. Before Darien's mind could register what he had said, he was 'flying' through the air as well.

"I'm going to kill you, you little funguses!!" Serena cried, as she plummeted down to the ocean, feeling as though she lost her stomach. The Saiyan boys doubled over in laughter. Now only a few yards above the water, Trunks swept down and caught her by the waist. Goten seized Darien in the same manner. And they powered up and flew only feet above the water, creating large waves and a path through the water behind them.

Serena and Darien were clutching their chest where their hearts laid, breathing heavily. Serena looked up at Trunks.

"I'm going to kill you!!" she yelled, swatting him.

"Ah ah, temper temper," he said, as he held her with one hand and shook his finger with the other, a camera hanging down from it. Serena made an attempt to get it, but he lifted it over his head, out of her reach. Trunks laughed and dropped her again, but caught her immediately. Serena, getting the picture, clung to his arms, and his laughter increased.

"Like father, like son," Serena muttered to herself and Trunks smiled briefly. Darien looked quizzically at Serena, who's breathing, unlike him, had returned to normal. And even though she tried to conceal it, there was a small smile on her lips, signifying that she was very fond of the boys, and was slightly amused by their antics. He glanced up at Goten who smiled innocently at him, and he couldn't help but smile warily back.

They flew silently over the ocean for another minute until they had reached a tiny island that was only big enough to put a small house on and a couple of palm trees with a small hammock between them. Written on that house was the word 'Kame'.

"Hey Trunks, is that really how Vegeta is going to teach me to fly? Isn't there another way?" Serena asked nervously as they landed. Trunks didn't say anything, but the smirk on his face said it all. A lump appeared in her throat, and she slowly swallowed it. Goten set Darien gently to his feet before he settled himself next to his best friend on the sand.

"Let's hurry…my dad was still unconscious when we left, but he's probably awake now and was probably expecting us back awhile ago. He's going to kill me…" Trunks bit his lower lip and took a deep breath as he walked steadily into the house.

"Hello? Is anyone here?" Goten shouted at the top of his lungs, cupping his hands around his mouth. "Master Roshi? Vegeta? Krillin? ANYBODY?!" Trunks and Goten searched the house, turning on lights, leaving Serena and Darien by the door. Darien stepped up behind her and wrapped his still-shaking arms around her shoulders, and she leaned her back against his unclothed chest. She tilted her head up and stared lovingly into his midnight blue eyes as his ebony black hair fell into them. Lifting her hand up, she tenderly moved them back.

"Serena," Darien whispered as the distance between their lips gradually vanished. Serena took her arm and hung it around his neck, resting the other one on Darien's arms that hung on her tiny waist.

A clearing of the throat separated the two blushing teens.

"Am I interrupting anything?!" A baldheaded old man asked, his face became flushed when he set his sights on Serena. "Hey sweets, how 'bout taking a small walk with me around my island?" Darien's face glowered with authentic anger at the old man. Serena, on the other hand, was speechless. Here was this old man, somewhere in his fifties or sixties, hitting on her.

Suddenly his face met the floor and a large bump emerged on the back of his head.

"Can't you see she's taken old man?" A young, medium-sized woman with shoulder length blonde hair said in disgust, her arms folded across her chest with a frying pan in her right hand. Darien flashed her a look of thanks and Serena blushed a deep shade of pinkish-red at her comment.

"Is he going to be okay?" Serena asked concernedly, and Darien scowled. The blonde-haired woman looked at her in surprise, but it quickly turned back to revulsion when she looked back at the senior citizen.

"Unfortunately, yes, but he'll be out for awhile"

"What's all the commotion in here 18?" asked a short man with black hair, about a foot shorter than Vegeta, his hands behind his head as he walked into the room with his eyes closed. He was wearing a bright red shirt and tan pants that were tied around his waist with what looked like a tiny white rope. He opened his eyes and sighed when he saw his master lying on the carpeted floor and Serena standing by the door.

"Oh Mater Roshi," he sighed disappointingly. "You didn't…" the man looked at the blonde that he called 18 for an answer.

"What do you think, Krillin?" the woman referred to the man. He shook his head and sighed again, turning to Serena.

"I'm sorry about that."

"The perverted old man doesn't know when to give up," 18 didn't bother to hide her repugnance for him. Krillin gazed apologetically at Serena and Darien.

"Daddy! Daddy! Look at what I made!" a little girl with short pigtails waved a picture of some stick figures as she ran into the room followed by Goten and Trunks. Krillin bent down and picked her up.

"That's great Marron!" she nodded happily, almost with the same innocence and happy-go-lucky expression as Goten.

"See! That's you and mommy, and that's me! And there's the ocean and the sun!" Serena giggled at the cute little girl. Serena noticed the sun was in the corner of the page, the one thing that she recalled her art teacher always complaining about. She laughed at the thought.

"Why don't you go show mommy while I go talk to the nice girl over there," Krillin said, pointing to Serena. Marron hesitantly nodded, almost afraid that her dad would like Serena better than her, and walked over to 18.

"Mommy! Look at this! Can we hang it on the refrigerator…" the smiling woman vanished into the kitchen, with the frying pan in one hand, and dragging the shameless master with the other, her daughter jumping happily in front of her.

"Thanks honey," Krillin called after her, turning his attention back to Serena and Darien. "Hi, you must be Serena. Let's go sit down and talk."

They made themselves comfy on the couches in the living room. 18 returned with some tea for everyone and handed them out. Darien quietly drank his tea, even though he liked coffee, listening to the conversation, talking only when it was necessary. Trunks and Goten got chocolate milk instead.

"Where's my dad and the girl with the cat," Trunks asked, looking around, but he still didn't see either of them. Goten scratched his head in confusion.

"Vegeta left after I gave him the sensu bean and you left. He wouldn't tell me where he was going. He just left without a word," Krillin sighed. "He wouldn't even tell me how you guys ended up back here. One minute you tell me to make the wish, and then the next, you're back. And the girl is sleeping up stairs…the only thing she told us about herself is that she's been seeking a princess and the leader of the Sailor Scouts, Sailor Moon." He paused as Serena's face brightened at meeting Sailor Venus. "Where's Goku?" He glanced over at Serena as Goten and Trunks sat on her left, giving her and the dark haired man a chocolate chip cookie. Serena nibbled on it thankfully, before gulping it down. Trunks jumped up and ran towards the kitchen, only to return a second later with more, a couple plates full.

"He's with my brother in the other dimension," answered Goten, staring down blankly at the cookie. He really missed them, even though it was last night when he last saw them.

"Should I go get this girl?" Trunks asked. Serena shook her head.

"No, let her sleep. She's probably had a long journey and needs the rest," 18 said, almost kindly.

"What happened?" Krillin questioned straightforwardly.

"I guess I'm the one that should tell you since I've been there during it all," Serena sighed sadly as she began her story for what felt like the hundredth time. "My name's Serena and I'm the leader of the scouts, Sailor Moon…" she told of Tuxedo Mask and everything that had happened, including the story of the princess and the crystals, pausing shortly as she took out the scouts' only rainbow crystal, and Darien added his to the small collection.

18 smiled sympathetically at Serena when she told of her parents and brother and how her parents couldn't be wished back, surprising Krillin because the only one that could make her smile was their daughter Marron. He could to, but not as often as Marron could.

During it all, Darien had slipped his arm around Serena's shoulders comfortingly while Goten had placed his head in her lap and Trunks leaned against her side.

When she finished, an unpleasant silence filled the little room as everyone couldn't meet Serena's eyes.

The front door burst open and a dark figure walked in, covered in sweat and breathing heavily. He turned to the small group and pointed at Serena.

"Let's begin today's training," the form said. Serena stood up and nodded.

"Alright, prideful prince," Serena said lightheartedly. Vegeta smirked, hearing the sarcasm in her voice.

"Training? But it's still dark out! At least wait till the sun fully rises!" Darien almost growled. "Serena needs to rest! She hasn't eaten anything besides a couple of cookies all day! Who do you think you are?!"

"Who the hell are YOU?!" Vegeta snarled, glaring daggers at him. Serena glanced nervously between the two, then looked pleadingly at Trunks and Goten to stop them. Trunks face brightened noticeably when an idea popped into his head. He smirked at Serena and she looked at him quizzically.

"Hey dad, weren't you gonna teach Serena how to fly today?" Trunks said quickly, closing his eyes tightly for the impact that was sure to come from interrupting his father. When it didn't come, he carefully opened one eye. Vegeta had a grin on his face, a very familiar grin too. The same one that he had when he promised to teach Trunks how to fly that evening…

Trunks winced as someone whacked the back of his head. He turned to the source.

"What was that for?!" he yelled, rubbing the back of his head. He glared at Serena who returned it.

"You did that on purpose!" Serena screamed into his ear. Goten had a goofy grin on his face.

"That's Trunks for ya!" he said, his smile widening. Trunks scowled at his friend who rubbed the back of his head and sweat dropped.

"I will not allow you to drop her from the sky! She's not from this dimension! She can't learn to fly!!" Darien's voice rose with every word, taking steps towards Vegeta. By the end of his last sentence, Darien was in Vegeta's face, looking slightly down at him. Vegeta wasn't about to tolerate this. He grabbed Darien by the neck and hoisted him off the floor.

"Vegeta! Put him down!" Krillin shouted, carefully making his way over to separate the foolish men. Foolish of Darien to get into Vegeta's face, that is.

"Vegeta! Please! Put him down!" Serena frantically said, trying to pry Vegeta's fingers off of his throat. He looked into her eyes and saw the pain and worry in them.

"She can and WILL do what EVER I say, got that boy?!" Vegeta insisted, dropping Darien onto the floor. Serena fell to her knees by his side.

"Darien? Are you okay?" Serena asked as he slowly got to his feet. He nodded. Serena turned to Vegeta. "Vegeta! How dare you do that! You can't threaten someone like that! It's wrong!" Vegeta turned away from her and headed towards the door. "Are you listening to me?!" Serena sighed and followed him out the door, Trunks and Goten not far behind. She looked at Darien one last time. "Darien, he's not one to mess with. Please don't do that again because next time, I may not be able to help you, and I can't stand to lose you. I love you too much." She walked over to him, and all eyes turned to them. She kissed him softly on the lips.

"Darien," she said softly, "when Vegeta began to train me, I promised him that I would do anything he told me to do. I would do it for Sammy…I want to save him, and this is the only way I can save him…please understand," her eyes stared pleadingly down into his. He sighed.

"But why does he have to train you?" He turned to Krillin. "He must know martial arts to! Have him do it! Vegeta's a brute, and he might try to kill you!!" Serena shook her head.

"That's my dad you're talking about! Take that back!" Trunks growled, and Goten had to hold him back. Serena looked sternly at him, and he sighed, shrugging Goten's hands off his shoulders.

"I want him to train me, and if I have to fall through the air to get stronger, then so be it, I will. Vegeta won't kill me. I'll be fine." She kissed him gently on the forehead and walked through the door. Darien stared after her.

"Vegeta…" Serena said when she and the boys were outside. "Why did you do that? You almost killed him!" Vegeta didn't bother to turn around and answer her. He kept walking. Serena stepped in front of him, cutting him off. He looked down at her.

"You deserve better," Trunks said bitterly, a scowl on his face, holding a grudge against the man that called his father a brute. Serena sighed, she wasn't going to get anything out of them.

"Let's begin. Concentrate on your energy. Before I give you lessons, you need to learn how to concentrate it and bring it out."

"You know, like the ki blast you gave that youma! Do you remember how you did it?" Goten asked excitedly. Serena nodded, focusing on her energy and bringing it forth. Her brows furrowed and soon, she had brought out a small amount of ki and held it in the palm of her hand. She smiled and let it disappear.

"Alright!" Trunks and Goten slapped her on the back.

"Good," said a pleased Vegeta, "now see if you can gather more together, then push it off of the ground…"