Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ Desperation ❯ An Old Ally, A New Enemy ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
CHAPTER 18

Serena awoke to water being splashed into his face. She jolted up and back flipped into a fighting stance, surprising herself. It was like instinct, and her body reacted before her mind could.

This training really is paying off…

"Serena? Are you okay?" Goten cried. Serena relaxed and took a step towards him, but fell again.

"Come on dad!" Trunks yelled. "She needs to rest! She's not a Saiyan!!" Vegeta didn't do anything to show he heard Trunks. "Father!"

"Vegeta! Please let her rest!" Goten pleaded. Vegeta took a step forward.

"No," he simply answered.

"Then at least allow one of us to go get some food and some more water!!" Goten kept arguing, not going to give up for Serena's sake. Vegeta growled.

"Fine! Just stop that whining, brat! Just go already!!" he shouted, unable to control his anger. Trunks and Goten smiled, giving each other a high-five.

"Let's go Trunks!" Goten said, as he and his friend took to the skies. Serena watched until they became no more than mere dots in the clouds. She gradually was able to stand again, but didn't dare take a step in case she fell again.

"Vegeta?" she asked. He didn't look at her, but instead turned his back towards her. She carefully balanced herself as she walked. "Vegeta," she said with a firm voice. He little by little floated into the air, out of her reach. "Veggie-chan," she smirked when he cringed slightly at the name she had given him. She frowned when he still didn't look at her. "Vegeta, why won't you face me?" He flew a little higher into the air.

Serena didn't get it. Did she do something wrong? Did she say anything that might have upset him? She didn't think so…

"Vegeta!" she called after him, annoyed. She couldn't control her self anymore. "VEGETA GET YOUR ASS BACK DOWN HERE AND FACE ME!!!!"

"Is that a challenge?" he grinned, and Serena realized the mess she had just gotten herself into. He flew back down and got into a deep fighting stance.

"Um-n-no!" She gulped and backed away.

"Too late to back out, girl. You dug your grave, now lie in it," he smirked as he powered up a small ball of ki. She knew, of course, that he was only playing around…at least she thought so…until he actually threw it at her, and the look in his eyes…

"Vegeta, are you okay?" she screamed and ran behind a large tree, poking her head out from behind it. "Stop it! You're scaring me!!" He didn't though, and he continued advancing towards her. "Vegeta! Please stop!! You're not acting like yourself! Vegeta? Snap out of it!!"

Serena was scared out of her mind…he was acting funny, and that look in his eyes sent a shiver down her spine. It was a harsh look, filled with hatred and she didn't know what had happened. He threw a ball of energy at the tree, and Serena dodged and flung herself behind a boulder, only to be forced to move again a second later.

"Vegeta! What's wrong with you?!" She desperately tried to think of a way to stop him. 'Knock him out' was the only thing that came to mind. She concentrated her energy and formed it into the shape of a disc. She threw it, and it went straight over his head, missing him by a couple feet.

"You missed, girl…and I think you put all your energy into that one attack…how sad," he laughed menacingly. Serena stared blankly at him, hoping he wouldn't be able to read her thoughts or face. He glanced at her when she didn't say anything. "What…" was all he got to say before a large mountain top plummeted onto him, crushing his body.

Serena winced.

"I hope you'll forgive me, Vegeta," she whispered. "I didn't want to hurt you." Suddenly Serena felt a burst of power and the rocks flew into the air, and disintegrated into nothing. "What?"

"Hurt me?" came a mocking voice, as a figure arose from the ground, battered. Vegeta had gone SSJ3. "You will pay for your trick!!" he sent out tons of energy blast, and Serena wasn't able to dodge all of them. "Take that!!"

"Ahhhh!!!" She cried in agony when they all barreled onto her with no mercy. I'm going to die…was her last thought…



"Hey? We need some food and water to take with us!!" Goten called into the house, walking into the kitchen. He pulled the fridge door open and grabbed some snacks, and Trunks climbed onto the counters and pulled out many other foods, like apples, chips, and some more snack-like things.

"Hey Goten, grab some of the water bottles! They're in the back of the refrigerator!" Goten nodded.

"Alright, got 'em!" He slammed the door shut and flinched when he realized he broke it. "Um, Trunks?"

"Yeah?" he asked, his head still stuck searching through the cabinets.

"Let's hurry and head back…" Trunks head shot out of the cupboard, and he looked off towards the place where he had left Serena and his father.

"Did you feel that?!" He quickly jumped down and ran out of the kitchen and into the living room, dropping all the food and drinks. Goten shivered and walked after him.

"Yeah…was that Vegeta?"

"There's something wrong!" Trunks flew fast out the door, Goten running after him.

"Wait! What's going on?!" A feminine voice called after them. "Take me with you!" Goten paid no mind to her and was about to kick off the ground, but something grabbed his legs and weighed him down, though he was still able to float in the air.

"Get off of me! I have to go see what's wrong!!" he kicked his legs back and forth, trying to get her off, but it was no use.

"Not until you take me to Serena!" Sailor Venus held tightly to him, but was having major difficulty. Goten glanced to where Trunks was, but he was gone, already a couple of miles ahead of them. Goten faced the girl and grabbed her arms.

"Fine! Just hold on!" He went SSJ and flew after Trunks, where he hoped everything was under control.

Venus closed her eyes tightly, praying that Serena was okay. She felt the burst of sheer evil energy, and it was strong, much stronger than Serena was. She tried to sense her life energy, but she couldn't find it, which, because this wasn't her strongest point, meant that Serena was either unconscious or…

"Hold on, we're landing," Goten said seriously, and set her down, but quickly floated back into the air. "This is too dangerous for you. I'll come back and get you!" He dashed off into the fireworks display where they were bound to find Vegeta at the other end of them.

"Goten, get Serena. I'll talk to my dad," Trunks ordered, much like his Saiyan father. Goten agreed, searching for her ki.

"A scream pierced through the air, and Goten located it. He could now clearly see Serena, shielding her eyes from a ki blast that was headed her way. Goten gasped as he tried to get down to the ground in time to block it, even though he was sure that it was too strong.

"Serena!!!" Goten threw himself in front of her, pushing her out of the way at the last second, knocking her unconscious. He wasn't able to get out of the way in time, though, and was engulfed in the energy.

"Goten!!" Trunks held his breath and waited for the dust to clear. Down on the dirt laid a singed and scarred body of a badly beaten boy. The clothes were torn, and his hair was messy. He laid on his belly, unmoving. "Goten…no…GOTEN!!" He landed beside him with his grief-stricken face, tears streaming down it. He couldn't fell a pulse, and he bent over him, and picked up his body, holding it the same way Goku held Vegeta's when Frieza killed him. He turned to his smirking father and stared deep into his threatening eyes. Then he peered down at Serena's unconscious form, then back to his dad. "What's wrong with you!!" he cried.

"Wrong with me?" Vegeta spat, taking another step towards him. Trunks backed away from him, and stood in front of Serena protectively.

"You just killed Goten!! And look what you did to Serena!!" He took a short breath as Vegeta stood still, thinking. "I HATE YOU!!!" Trunks yelled, picking up Serena's body with his other hand, and flew off in the direction of Master Roshi's house.

Vegeta's eyes flickered back to normal for a moment when he heard his son say that, and his eyes held sorrow in them, but then they went back to his hateful self. He was about to go after them, but a hand on his shoulder stopped him.

Vegeta growled, but obediently stayed put.

"They'll be back, my pet," said a familiar voice. Vegeta was unconsciously fighting against his inner self. 'It's that damned demon whose brother killed your father and home planet!! Snap out of it!!' it said, but for some reason, he couldn't. It was as if he wasn't in control of his body or emotions anymore. When he heard Trunks say that he hated him, the spell was almost broken because of the shock. Trunks had always looked up to him, always wanting to please him and make him happy. He wanted to be the son that Vegeta wanted him to be.



"Hey Trunks! Wait up!!" Krillin yelled from one of the island down bellow. Trunks paused, and waited for him to catch up. He was carrying Sailor Venus on his back. "I was going after you and Goten when I saw her down below. Then the next thing I know, you guys are flying back." Krillin laughed at the coincidence, but stopped when he realized Trunks was looking down, not facing him. Something shinny and wet slid down his cheek. Krillin looked at the forms in his arms. "Trunks? Where's Vegeta?" Krillin was almost afraid to ask. Trunks took off, full speed to Master Roshi's no willing to wait for Krillin anymore. He had to be strong, and this was the only way he could control his emotions.

Trunks arrived at the front door of the house. He swung the door open, almost ripping it off its hinges. 18 rushed into the room, followed by Darien.

"What happened?!" Darien demanded when he saw Serena. "Serena! Wake up! Is she alive?!" he frantically took her from the lavender haired boy.

"She's fine…" Trunks choked out. "She's j-just unconscious…B-but Go-Goten…he's…" he couldn't say anymore. He took his forearm and rubbed his face with it, wiping his tears away. He handed Goten to 18. She didn't bother to ask about Krillin because she could still feel his ki.

"Trunks!!" Krillin rushed through the open door, still carrying Venus. He set her down, and she kneeled by Serena.

"What happened!!" she asked, examining her body and checking for a pulse. She sighed in relief. "Good, she's still alive." She turned to Trunks who was standing beside his friend on the couch. "What happened to him?" Trunks turned to her and she could see the authentic grief in his eyes. He stared at the ground.

"I don't know…my dad was shooting ki at her as SSJ3, and he knows she wouldn't be able to handle it…then Goten took a blast for Serena, and, and…" He couldn't finish it again. "…then I told him I…hated, him, and he, then I flew away…" he could barely form a sentence. He watched as Sailor V. nodded and calmly walked over to Goten and stooped beside him. "Can we wish him back?!" Trunks distraughtly begged.

"We already used our last wish…"

"The dragonballs on Namek! We'll use those!" came a voice from the front door. Everyone turned to him.

"Piccolo! Goten, he's…" Trunks began to say, but his face suddenly became serious. "When do we leave?"

"Piccolo…" Krillin began.

"Krillin and I will leave for Namek," Piccolo explained in a stern tone. "I just saw Vegeta and he's acting under some sort of magic spell, and I don't think we can break it. I've tried everything to, but nothing worked." He paused and watched the purple-haired boy's reaction. "Trunks, I need you to stay here and watch over Serena and Goten's body. When he wakes, I want him to be here, in case you need any help. If you see Kakou, run, you got that? Just get the hell out of there! We don't need anymore casualties." He motioned for Krillin to follow, and he did hesitantly, saying a short goodbye to his wife and daughter.

"What about my dad?" Trunks took a step forward, holding his breath, hoping desperately that his action wouldn't have to be as drastic as he thought it would be. Piccolo clenched his fist, never turning around to face him.

"I've tried to break the hold which Kakou has over him."

"Are you sure it's her?"

"Who else would it be?" Trunks remained silent and Piccolo continued. "If you see him, and he tries to kill Serena, or take Goten's body…then…kill him," with that said, he walked out of the house and flew off towards Bulma's house. Krillin glanced back at his young friend.

"Trunks, I…"

"Just go. Gather the dragonballs and wish Goten back. I'll deal with my father," he said a little harshly, tears choking him up. Krillin could only nod as he went after Piccolo.