Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ I'll Be There ❯ Chapter Three ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

--Chapter Three--

Serena was the first to wake up in the morning. Normally she’d slept as long as possible but after the events last night, Serena was surprised she slept at all. Rei had spent half of the night waking up to nightmares. Serena and Ami did their best to comfort her until she fell asleep again.

Serena sat up in the spacious bed. She looked over to see that Rei had curled up against Ami’s back and seemed to be sleeping peacefully. Serena carefully scooted out of bed and padded across the room to the door. She glanced back at the bed before leaving the room.

Serena followed the smell of coffee to the kitchen. She saw Jedite sitting at the circular table sipping a cup. He raised his eyes when he heard footsteps on the tile.

“Morning.” He greeted over the brown liquid.

“Morning.” Serena poured herself a cup before sitting next to Jedite. He watched her as she took a drink before scrunching up her face at the taste.

“Why,” Jedite started, “Do you bother drinking it if you hate the taste so much?”

“Because I may not be the most sophisticated but by Kami I’m gonna try to look it.” Serena smiled before taking another drink.

“Yeah that pug face is very sophisticated.” Jedite commented chuckling. Serena stuck her tongue out at him. The two shared a laugh before becoming silent. The mood of the room became somber.

"How was Rei last night?" Jedite asked. "I heard her a couple of times."

"She had a lot of nightmares but who wouldn't after last night. But she looked peaceful when I got out of bed." Serena replied. "She's going to really need us when she wakes up. I know Rei, when something bad happens to her, she clams up and acts like nothing happened."

“We can’t let her do that. But if we try to help her, she’ll pull away even more.” Jedite rested his chin on his hand, his eyebrows furrowed in thought. “What good is psychology if I can’t use it.”

“There is one thing we do know Jedite.” Serena placed a soothing hand on the frustrated blond’s arm. “Rei is not the type of person to let something beat her. She knows when to go to someone for help.” Jedite looked into Serena’s sincere blue eyes.

“I hope you’re right.”

“For Rei’s sake, I pray I am too.” Serena muttered back. She suddenly frowned with a sad look in her eyes. "Do you think she'll hate me?" Jedite raise an eyebrow.

"What? Why would she hate you?"

"Because it was Darien for Kami sake!" Serena gripped her coffee mug tightly with both hands. "I was his girlfriend. Why did he have to go after Rei? He should have come after me and left Rei alone." Serena whispered, bowing her head.

"That's guilt talking Serena. You shouldn't think like that." Jedite reached across the table and closed his hands over Serena's.

"I love Darien. But I can never forgive him for what he did to Rei."

A strong gush of wind suddenly ended the conversation between the two blondes.

"What the hell?" Jedite quickly went to Serena's side and shielded her from the wind. Jedite squinted through the wind to see a portal open and the shape of a human stepped out. The wind died when the portal closed. Serena peeked out of under Jedite's arm to see who had arrived.

"Sailor Pluto!" Serena moved from under Jedite's protective hold to hug her friend. "Thank goodness you're here." Sailor Pluto returned the hug with a slight smile.

"Hello Serena." Pluto's face became serious. "I wish I could have come in better terms."

"So you know." Jedite stated. Sailor Pluto nodded.

"Yes, I learned of it after it had happened. If there had been anything I could have done, I would have."

"We know Pluto. You wouldn’t let any of us be hurt if you could stop it." Serena reassured her friend. Sailor Pluto nodded to Serena, believing her.

“I do bring good news.” She announced. “But first, where is Rei?”

“In Amara and Michelle’s bedroom with Ami.” Jedite replied.

“Ami has returned?”

“Yeah last night. We found her with Rei.” Serena quietly opened the door and peeked around it. Ami was sitting on the edge of the bed, watching Rei sleep peacefully. She looked up when she heard Serena open the door the rest of the way and walk in with Pluto and Jedite behind her.

“Pluto!” Ami ran up and wrapped her arms around the soldier of time.

“Hello Ami.” Pluto replied returning the tight hug. The hug ended when the bed creaked, signaling Rei waking up. Serena and Ami immediately went to sit on the bed beside her.

“Good morning.” Serena greeted with a smile. She gently brushed hair out of Rei’s eyes. “How are you feeling?”

“Just peachy.” Rei winced as she sat up in the bed. Serena and Jedite shared a look at the sarcasm in Rei’s voice. “Is there any aspirin in this house?”

“I have something better.” Pluto stepped up to the bed. She pulled a small brown bag from her bow and took a green bean from it. Pluto handed it to Rei.

“What’s this?” Rei questioned, looking doubtfully at the small bean.

“It’s called a senzu bean. Chew this and all your pain with go away.”

Rei still looked doubtful but trusted Pluto. She placed the bean in her mouth and tentively chewed. When she swallowed, Rei felt the physical pain she felt dissolved into nothing.

“It worked.” She said, shocked. “Where did you get something like this from?”

“It comes from another dimension.” Pluto answered. “The same dimension Amara and the others are in currently. They want you to join them so they sent me.”

“Join them? Has something happened?” Jedite asked.

“Amara and Michelle have been having constant feelings of an impending evil that is incredibly powerful. This dimension, called the Z dimension, has fighters there that can train you to be very powerful. We think that this training would be very good for you.”

There was a silent pause.

“I’ll go.”

All eyes were turned to Rei at her statement.

"Rei?" Serena inquired. Rei took a deep breath, looking at her hands gripping the bedsheets.

"I will never be weak again." Rei grit out. Eyes started to water as Rei spoke. "I need to be stronger. I can't let myself be a victim anymore."

"Oh Rei." Serena lifted Rei's chin gently to make her look at Serena. "You are not weak. You're one of the strongest people I know." Serena felt tears fall from her eyes as she moved closer and hugged Rei.

“He was scared of you Rei.” Ami added. “That’s why he came after you. You’re a threat to him.”

“And I will be.” Rei gripped the bed sheets so hard that her knuckles turned white. “He’ll regret the day he met me if he shows him face. I have to go to this other dimension.”

“Rei…” Pluto sat on the edge of the bed. She placed her hand on Rei’s. “There is every little chance that he could get to this dimension. It was difficult for us to get there with our powers. You’ll be safe.”

“If Rei’s going I’m going.” Serena announced.

“Me too.” Ami agreed. Eyes turned to Jedite who shrugged.

“Majority rules.” Pluto nodded.

“I’ll get the portal ready. Meet me at the Gates of Time.” Pluto squeezed Rei’s hand before standing and disappearing from the room.

“I guess we should get ready.” Ami muttered softly.

“Well I’ll let you girls get ready.” Jedite left the room.

“Serena.”

“Yeah Rei?”

“I can’t get up if you don’t move. No one in the world has enough strength to lift your butt up.” Rei said with a small smirk on her face.

“Hey!” Serena jumped up as Rei pinched her. She huffed indigently and crossed her arms over her chest. “It didn’t take long for you to get back to picking on me.” Serena pouted. Rei chuckled a little before sobering up again.

“I need to go back to the temple to get my things.” She muttered.

“Rei you don’t have to. You can wear our clothes if you want.” Serena returned to the bed. Rei shook her head.

“There’s something I can’t leave behind. Plus, I have to face the temple again. I’ll never get any closure without it.”

“Okay, we’ll get dressed and go there with you.” Ami rubbed Rei’s back gently before standing. “I hope Michelle doesn’t mind if we borrow her clothes until we get our own.”

“Probably not.” Rei got out of the bed and walked to the closet near the bed looking through it.

After dressing and meeting in the kitchen for a quick breakfast, Jedite drove the girls Ami and Serena to their apartments to pick up their things. They all agreed to only take what would fit into a duffle bag. Jedite took his time driving to the temple. Rei sat in the back with Serena, never letting go of her hand. She squeezed it when Jedite came to a stop in front of Cherry Hill Temple.

“Rei,” Jedite turned in the driver’s seat. “You still don’t have to do this.”

“Yes I do.” Rei let go of Serena’s hand and exited the car. Ami, Serena and Jedite were at her side as they walked up to the temple. Rei took Serena and Ami’s hands as she entered her bedroom. She steeled herself against the memories that wanted to make themselves known. She felt Ami and Serena holding her hands and that kept her from falling into the memories.

“Where’s your bag Rei?” Jedite’s voice made Rei open her eyes. She hadn’t realized she closed them.

“Top of the closet.” Jedite grabbed the bag and held it. “Do you want us to do it?”

“No.” Rei let go of Serena and Ami to take the bag from Jedite. “I can do it.” Rei gathered clothes quickly and stuffed them into the bag. She then started looking around for something.

“What is it Rei?”

“The picture of me, Grandpa and Chad. I can’t leave without it.” Everyone looked around the room for the picture.

“Here it is.” Jedite picked up a bluish silver frame from behind a nightstand. The picture had Rei’s grandfather standing in front flashing the victory sign to the camera, behind him was Chad with his arm around Rei, all were smiling.

Rei took the frame from Jedite and held it close to her. “Okay I’m ready to go.”

The three girls transformed into their scout form while Jedite transformed into his guardian form. Jedite’s guardian form was a reflection of Rei’s form. He wore deep crimson, almost black uniform pants and armor varying in colors of red, violet and black. They gathered their things and teleported to the Gates of Time where Pluto was waiting for them.

“The portal is ready when you are. I notified the others of your arrival and they are waiting for you on the other side.”

“Thank you Pluto.” Serena said, giving Pluto a hug. “You will visit won’t you?”

“Of course.” Pluto smiled at Serena.

“I’ll go first to make sure it’s safe.” Jedite volunteered. He stepped into the portal and disappeared. Ami followed after giving Pluto a hug as well. Serena entered next.

“Rei…” Pluto stopped Rei before she entered the portal. She gently cradled her face, making Rei look her in the eye. “You are strong. No matter what anyone says or you tell yourself. Do not doubt yourself. Your future is bright.” Pluto then hugged Rei tightly, feeling Rei do the same.

“Thank you.” Rei whispered. Pluto released Rei and allowed her to step into the portal.

“A bright future indeed.” Pluto smiled to herself and took her position as the Keeper of Time once again. “Everyone will have a bright future now.”