Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction / Sailor Moon Fan Fiction ❯ I'll Be There ❯ Chapter Two ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

--Chapter Two--

Jedite and Serena were on their way to Serena’s apartment after dropping Rei off at the temple. Jedite stopped at a stop sign. He looked over at Serena and noticed she looked bothered.

“Something wrong Serena?” He asked.

“I don’t know.” Serena answered. “I have this really bad feeling that won’t go away. It began when we dropped Rei off.”

“I’m sure it’s nothing.” Jedite tried to reassure. “If Rei was in trouble, she would have contacted us with the communicator.”

“That’s what I was thinking. But what if Rei couldn’t get to it. It wouldn’t be the first time.” Serena looked out the window. Jedite saw that Serena was chewing her bottom lip. She only did that when she was worried. Jedite turned a U-turn and drove back toward the temple.

“We’ll go back and check on Rei if it’ll make you feel better.”

“Thank you Jedite.”

“Yeah, yeah.” Jedite replied, seeing Serena’s slightly relived face. Jedite parked at the temple. Serena practically jumped out of the car and ran up the steps.

“Rei!” Serena shouted knocking on the temple doors. When there was no answer, she slid the doors open. She called Rei’s name again. Still no answer.

“Is she here?” Jedite asked, walking in after Serena.

“She has to be.” Serena said. “She would have locked the temple if she left.” Jedite felt around the wall to find a light switch. When he did, he flipped it on. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. They started searching for clues to Rei’s whereabouts when they heard a loud sound, like something hard being thrown against the wall, coming from Rei’s bedroom. Serena took off down the hall with Jedite following her.

“Serena wait!” Jedite shouted suddenly feeling a great deal of Negaverse power. No sooner had the words left his mouth did a blast of energy come from the room and threw Serena on the floor. Jedite ran to her side and helped her up while looking into Rei’s bedroom where the blast had come from. He saw a pair of glowing red eyes watching him and Serena.

“Who are you and what have you done with Rei?” Jedite demanded. The shadow Jedite saw reached out and flipped the light switch.

“Darien!” Serena said and went to fall in his arms but Jedite held her back.

“That’s not Darien.” He said. “His soul has been consumed by evil.”

“No.” Serena whimpered.

“He’s right.” Darien cackled. “I’m not the goody two-shoes you once knew. I’ve been awakened by the Negaverse. I am now free.” Darien erupted in an evil laughter and went to attack. Jedite pushed Serena out of the way and blocked Darien’s coming punch with his arm. Jedite aimed a kick to Darien’s head but Darien disappeared.

“Jedite look out!” Serena shouted when she saw Darien reappear behind Jedite. Jedite turned to look behind him but Darien delivered a hard blow to the back of his head. Jedite fell to the floor seeing stars. Darien lifted a leg to drop kick Jedite but was thrown back when Serena rammed into him, sending him into the wall. Serena went down to help Jedite back to his feet. Darien stood straight from the wall and glared at them. He wiped a bit of blood from his mouth from his collision with the wall.

“I’m surprised you had the guts to do that Princess.” He seethed. “I’ve had my fun for now. I will see you soon.” Darien warned, creating a portal and disappearing into it.

“Jedite? Serena?” The two turned and saw Rei leaning against the wall, bruises littered any revealed skin. Serena and Jedite rushed to her side.

“Are you alright?” They both asked at the same time.

“I’m still alive. That’s all I can be glad for.” Rei muttered. Jedite and Serena shared a confused look.

“What d---”

“Here Rei take this. They should help with the pain.” Ami came out of the bathroom holding a glass of water in one hand and aspirin in the other. She looked pretty battered herself. Ami handed Rei the aspirin and water before Serena wrapped her arms around Ami’s neck, hugging her tightly.

“You’re back. We’ve missed you so much.” Serena said before letting her go.

“Yes I’m back.” Ami said solemnly. “I came back to stop Darien but I was too late.”

“Too late?” Jedite questioned before turning to Rei. “What did he do?” Rei looked to the ground and didn’t answer. Realization dawned on Serena’s face.

“No.” She whispered. “Rei please tell me he didn’t do that to you.” Serena begged. Rei kept her head down. “Oh Rei,” Tears filled Serena’s eyes as she wrapped her arms carefully around Rei. “I am so sorry.” Rei brought her arms up around Serena.

“It’s not your fault Serena. There was no way to stop him.” Rei said, resting her chin on Serena’s shoulder.

“Girls,” Jedite interrupted, placing a hand on each shoulder, “Perhaps we should get out of here. We can go to my place.” Rei nodded.

“Yeah sure.” Her and Serena separated and walked out of the room, Jedite and Ami following.

They quickly arrived at the house Jedite shared with Amara, Michelle and Hotaru.

“The bedrooms are all in the same hall. First mine, then Hotaru’s then Amara and Michelle’s is the last one. Pick any one you want to stay in. I’m sure the girls won’t mind.” Jedite said leading them to the bedrooms. “Amara and Michelle’s bed will probably fit all three of you if you’d rather stay together.”

“Thank you.” Ami, Serena and Rei went into Amara and Michelle’s room and closed the door. Jedite followed their lead and went into his own room, closing the door behind him. He laid out on his bed with his eyes closed and breathed a sigh. A light knock on his door brought him up from the bed to the door. He opened it to see Rei standing there.

“Do you mind if I took a shower?” She asked. Jedite shook his head.

“Go ahead. It’s the door right there.” He said pointing in the direction of the bathroom. Rei nodded and began heading for it.

“Rei.” Jedite called out stopping her. Rei turned to face.

“Yes Jedite?” Jedite walked up to her and knelt down. He took her hand in his and looked into her eyes.

“This may be a stupid question but how are you doing?” Rei took in a deep breath and closed her eyes briefly before looking into Jedite’s eyes.

“I’ve heard and read stories about this happening to girls but I never thought it would happen to me. I can’t say that I am fine because I’m not. But eventually I will be. Because I will not let him win. I am the soldier of Mars and I won’t be broken.” Rei said determinedly. Jedite saw the steel dedication in Rei’s eyes.

“You are strong Rei. I will be here any time you need assistance. I am your knight and I will protect you for eternity.” Jedite told her. Rei placed a hand on Jedite’s cheek.

“I know Jedite and thank you.” Rei headed back to the bathroom as Jedite stood and went into his room.

Rei closed the bathroom door and turned the lock on the knob. She turned on the water to the shower, adjusting it to the right temperature before shedding her clothes and steeping into the hot water. Quickly she grabbed a sponge and scrubbed at her skin roughly trying to get the feeling and smell of Darien off of her. She took some jasmine scented soap and lathered the sponge before scrubbing her skin again. She washed all the suds off, turned off the water and redressed. Rei walked to the room she was sharing with Ami and Serena. She saw that Serena and Ami laid at the sides of the bed, leaving the middle open for her.

Serena noticed her standing in the doorway and opened her arms, inviting Rei to lie down between her and Ami. Rei climbed into the bed and laid on her side facing Serena. Rei had to close her eyes against the emotions that suddenly filled her and the tears that came with them. She felt Serena wrap her arms around her and Ami cuddled against her back. Suddenly the dam broke and Rei erupted in sobs. She hid her face in her hands as Serena and Ami tightened their hug, giving Rei the comfort they could. No one said a word all night when Rei’s sobs subsided and she fell asleep. Only when they were sure Rei was sleeping peacefully did they go to sleep themselves.

--I know it’s been a while since I updated but I’ve been fighting a hard battle against depression and suicidal thoughts. I’ll do my best to update faster.--