Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ A Change of Heart ❯ Unexpected Company to the Hilshire Mall ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Pan shot out of her seat when the final bell rang and clutched her book bag, shoving her books inside. She, Marron, and Bura were going to mall after school, and she wanted to go home and take a shower first. She sped past people getting into their lockers, people wanting her to vote for class president, people handing out flyers, and different sports teams on the lawn with fund-raisers.

She just made the bus before it pulled off, and she slumped into a seat. She pulled out her math book, and looked it over as the bus made it's way through town. Dropping off old ladies done with shopping, picking up punk rockers on their way to after-school activities. The different types of people coming on and going off were endless, some scary, but she was thankful that she didn't have to ride the school bus. Those were worse. A lot worse.

Finally she made it to the nearest street to her house, and she stepped off. She was on the edge of the city, and suburbs stretched out before her. She secured her bag on her shoulder and took off at a run. As was what she did every day after school.

Finally, when sweat dripped on her face, her house was in sight. She had gotten there a lot quicker than usual; she had pushed herself a lot more than usual. She stepped into her house and ran up the stairs to her room calling, "I'm home!" behind her back. Her mother answered with a hello, and she smiled. She ran into her room and threw her bookbag onto her bed. Snatching a towel from the behind her door she ran into the bathroom and hopped into the shower.

When she was finished she wrapped her hair up in the towel and got dressed in her nicest outfit. She looked at herself in the mirror and wondered if it was fashionable enough. Probably not, but that was what she was trying to accomplish today, wasn't it? She let her hair out of her towel and brushed it out. She grabbed a rubber band and proceeded to put it in a sloppy bun. She stopped in her tracks. She looked herself over in the mirror. No, she wasn't going to put her hair up. She looked herself over again. She let her hair drop, and she smiled. She ran into the bathroom and pulled out her mother's hairdryer. She plugged it in and snatched a round brush from the shelf.

She finished up her hair, and brushed it out. She walked into her room confidently and looked at the mirror. Her jaw dropped. Instead of the glossy, black, straight strands she had imagined, it was a frizzy mess. She brushed her hand through her hair, wondering what she did wrong.

"Mother!" She called. "Mother, I need you!" She heard footsteps coming up the stairs, and her mother creaked the door open.

"Yes, Pan?" She questioned. "What did you need?" Pan turned towards her and picked up a strand of frizzy, dried-out hair.

"What did I do wrong?" She sat down at her computer desk and looked up at her mother desperately. "I wanted it to be straight and soft like Marron and Bura's. But it turned out like this." She picked up more hair and furrowed her brows.

Videl laughed. "Of course it's going to be frizzy right after you dry it like that." She explained. "You just need to fix it up." She touched Pan's cheek soothingly. "Let me help you."

Videl left the room and returned a few moments later with several cans, bottles, and containers. She smoothed them all in with practice, and she smiled. "There you go, honey." She said and pointed at the mirror. "In just a few minutes it'll be straight and silky just like Bura and Marron."

"You think so?" Videl smiled.

"I think so." Pan stepped over to the mirror and gazed over her deep, dark hair. The products had left it somewhat damp, but she hoped it would all work out. She grabbed some chapstick from her nightstand and smoothed it over her lips. She then dug in her closet for some shoes.

Minutes later she was ready and waiting for Bura and Marron to pick her up. She turned to the mirror for one last look, and stifled a cry.

Her hair was as wild and curly as it usually was. She let out a forced breath. What had happened? She called out for her mother, and Videl stumbled into the room moments later.

"What is it, Pan?" Pan sat on the bed and pointed at her hair. Videl looked confused for a moment, and then she folded her arms.

"I'm sorry, sweetie." She smiled. "What else do you want me to do?" Pan shook her head. "No, Pan," she sat down next to her daughter. "I want to help you. You've been so excited about this trip to the mall. I want it to be special."

"Mom," Pan started. "my hair's just not cut out to be pretty and be styled and all that. I've just got the wild saiyan hair curse. It's ok, I'll do something else with it."

"Do you want some tea?" Videl offered." Pan shook her head.

"I'll be fine. I need to finish up before they get here. Thank you though." Videl smiled knowingly.

"If you need me, honey, I'm just downstairs." Pan smiled and nodded. Videl drifted out of the room, and Pan hugged herself. Tears began to slide down her cheeks. No, she'd never really be on of them. One of the girls. She just wouldn't be able to cut it. She hugged herself tighter as hot tears streamed down her cheeks, and didn't notice the footsteps coming up the stairs.

Someone knocked gently, and Pan was jolted from her thoughts. Bura and Marron must be here.

"Come in." She said, wondering if it was louder than a whisper. Loud enough for them to hear.

She wiped her tears away just before the door opened, and her bottom lip dropped at the sight of Trunks. She furrowed her brows and he smiled.

"Bura got in some trouble with my mom. She cut Spanish class." Pan nodded, already knowing she'd cut. "And Marron had a lot of homework. So I'm going to take you." What!? She thought. Trunks take her to get a makeover? There was no way! Did he think she was crazy?

"Oh, Trunks, you don't have to. I can just go another day with them." Her words sounded like an apology.

"No, I offered. I want to take you, Pan." The truth was, he had been wondering how in the heck he was going to give her a makeover to win that bet. When Bura told him what their plans were, and that they'd have to cancel, he jumped on the chance. It was a miraculous opportunity for him.

"No, Trunks, I don't really feel that well. I was kind of relieved when you said they couldn't come." She said her words forced. Instantly thought up. And although she didn't stutter, there were thick spaces between her sentences. "Really, I-" He took her hand and lifted her off the bed.

"Come on, Pan. It's my only weekday off work in a long time, you better not ruin my plans." He smiled, and she smiled back at his tease.

She had no choice, she had to go.

Bura lay on her bed, pouting. She had wanted to go to the mall. Then again, this was a chance for Pan. To be with Trunks, and have Trunks personally give his opinions. It would take away the surprise though. She thought. But she guessed it would all work out. He wouldn't see the whole picture until the end at least.

Trunks opened the door for her and she sat down. He hadn't brought his motorcycle she realized with disappointment. He jumped into the seat next to her.

"Want some music?" He asked. She nodded. "Go ahead."

"Oh, I don't know if you like what I'm into." He nodded towards the radio and she turned on some rock. A band she liked was on, and she looked at him, asking permission to turn it up.

She sung along with the words, and realized he was too. When the song was over she smiled, and he smirked back at her. The expression reminded her a lot of Vegeta.

"You were wrong." He said. "That's my favorite kind of music. One of my favorite bands too." She smiled.

"I'm glad." She laughed. "So, where're headed?" He tilted his head to the side and took a left.

"I was thinking Hilshire Mall? I know you and the girls already went there Saturday, but do you mind?"

"Not at all." She didn't really care where they went. It all was coming to the same thing. He turned on another road and the mall loomed in the distance. As he weaved in and out of the mall's parking lot, she realized it wasn't nearly as crowded as Saturday. In fact, it looked empty in comparison.

When they went in though, she realized she had been deceived. Still, a lot of people went in this store and came out that one. It was busy in a good sense, and she looked at Trunks expectantly.

He looked back at her the same way, and she wondered if Bura and Marron had told him anything save for it was a trip to the mall.

"So, what do you want to do first?" He asked, shoving his hands in his pocket. He looked like a little kid, and she couldn't help but smile.

"Do you know why we're here?" She ventured. She braced herself for the words; `you need serious help so they were going to give you a makeover.' But that didn't come. Instead he smiled.

"I'm not on the whole girlie fun things. But Bura said they were giving you a makeover for fun and stuff." She gave an inward `whew', and smiled, walking off into the mall.

"That's right." She stopped; he was still standing there. "You coming?" He took his fists out of his pocket and strode over.

"Ok, Let's get going." He walked in step with her as she gazed around, looking at all the window displays. She stopped by the fountain and turned around once, taking in all the different places she hoped he'd take her.

"Pan?" She turned to him and raised an eyebrow curiously. "Well, where are we going?" She furrowed her brows at him.

"That's your call. I…well, Bura and Marron were going to…" She trailed off. "They were going to do whatever they wanted with me. I mean, kind of like a barbie, you know, dress me up."

He stifled his excitement, he only thought he was going to have some say on the different things she tried on. This would be a piece of cake.

"Ok, Pan." He said grabbing her hand and leading her to an escalator. "So you're my toy for the day?" They both laughed.

"I guess so!" She said.

Marron tapped her forehead with a pencil. She was writing a paper, but nothing was coming to her. Marron was naturally a writer, and a really good one. Papers were a piece of cake versus tests and exams to her, but for some reason nothing was coming. A tray of uneaten food was sitting near her, cold to the touch. She gave a groan and sat her paper down, slipping her pencil in her hair. She picked up the grilled cheese sandwich and bit in. Cold, way cold. She sighed and started eating.

Trunks stopped dead in his tracks. He was surrounded in racks of clothing, and trying to find a way out only led him to the conclusion that the whole store was a maze. He shook his head and sighed, irritated that he, Trunks, couldn't find his way out of a clothes store. He faintly heard a, "Trunks?" in the near distance-or so it seemed-and Pan appeared shortly after, some clothes over her arm.

"You ok?" She asked, a teasing smile across her lips. He folded his arms and tilted his head to the side with a smirk. "Get lost?" She laughed.

"I guess you could say so." He grinned. "Just don't tell anybody, ok?" She placed a hand over her heart.

"I solemnly swear." She instinctively grabbed his hand and led him out, immediately regretting it, thinking Trunks might take it the wrong way. She led him to the dressing room entrance, and held out her clothes.

"What do you think?" She asked, holding out a guy's pair of pants. He rubbed the back of his neck and wrinkled his brows.

"Pan?"

"Yes?" He licked his lips.

"Well, those are…those are guy's pants." Her happy expression dropped, and he felt bad for pointing out the obvious.

"There I go again, I guess I wouldn't have ever known." She smiled, but he could tell it was fake. "Besides," She said, throwing the clothes into a waiting chair. "you're supposed to be dressing me up. Right?" He smiled.

"Right." She folded her arms.

"Then get going!" She said, laughing. Pan continued to watch him look around until he looked at her and made a face. He twirled his index finger around in a circle, and she turned around appropriately. Moments later he returned with a stack of clothing slung over his arm, and handed it to her.

"What with what?" She questioned, eyeing the huge pile in her arms. He picked through them.

"Each thing you need is right next to it. Now go on!"

She stepped into a dressing room and latched the door. She picked up a lavender dress and smiled. She looked over it, inspecting the neckline-which was low-and the sleeveless style. She winced. She wouldn't look good in this. She thought. She could never pull this off.

"Do you have something on yet?" She heard Trunks ask from the waiting room. She gave a thoughtful smirk and pulled it off the hanger.

Trunks looked over a magazine about "healthy babies" and raised a brow, flopping it back onto the table.

"Pan? Are you-"

"Yeah, just a second." He stood up and looked around, then back at the shelves of clothing on the store, looking to see if there was anything he missed that he might want her to try.

"Turn around." She said, and he could hear the playful tone in her voice. He did as he was told, and his jaw dropped.

There stood Pan, looking more gorgeous than almost any girl he had ever seen. She clasped her hands behind her back.

"Something else maybe?" He closed his mouth and licked his lips as he opened them again.

"No." He said. "I think I like that one."