Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ A Change of Heart ❯ The Dance on Water ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The door clicked as Trunks opened it, and he stepped into the driver's seat. Pan hook her seat belt, and the radio turned on as he backed out. Pan rolled down her window, and the breeze blew her hair.

"So, where to?" She tilted her head to the side and raised a brow. A new, perfected arched brow.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I don't know where to buy bra's." He looked at her. "Ok, I do. but I don't know where you want to buy them." She furrowed her brows and smiled.

"Trunks, no, that's really ok. I mean-"

"Mean nothing. It's my fault I forgot that detail." He smiled. "Mall ok? Or do you shop the specialty stores?" She slugged him playfully in the arm. "I guess that means the mall." She rolled her eyes.

"No, really. I can do just fi-" He held up his hand.

"If Ms. Satina says you need it, I don't mind getting it. Just don't have any idea how I'm going to pick it out. Hopefully there will be someone there to give me some help."

The saleswoman looked at Trunks suspiciously. He grinned nervously, and explained once more.

"See, I'm giving this woman a makeover." She raised her eyebrow in an annoyed sort of way. "And I took her to get her hair and stuff done today. The head stylist lady said she needed something different than…something different than…than what she's got."

"And that would be?" Pan stepped up and pushed Trunks back with her arm. She looked at him, then back at the woman.

"I wear sports bra's. Always have, not a big deal to me." The woman looked at her, either curious or amused. "The lady, Ms. Satina of Satina Spa, told me I looked flatchested in them." The saleslady smiled, definitely amused. "So, I need something that give me some" She raised two fingers on each hand and bent them twice, bunny ears style. "lift." She dropped her arms and folded them again. "So, apparently I need some lift." The saleslady chuckled, and looked at the two of them.

"Alright then. You," she said, pointing to Trunks. "can wait over in those seats. I am going to show the young lady where the dressing rooms are." Trunks sat where he was told, and she led Pan off into a back room.

"There," she said, pointing to a dark blue stall. "I will be back shortly with some things for you to try. There is a robe in there for the time being."

Pan stared curiously inside the stall as the woman left the way they had come. Finally she closed the do-or behind her, and changed into the robe.

"Sir?" Trunks looked up as the saleslady walked over to him, carrying a book with "Clairisse's" written on the front. She sat down next to him, and flipped the book open. "Our catalog." She explained, flipping to a certain section. "What did you have in mind?" He looked down at the pictures, and shut the book.

"Really," He said nervously. "whatever you think should be fine." Her eyebrow rose questioningly, and she nodded, setting the book down.

"Alright then. I suppose she does not have to model?" Trunks rubbed the back of his neck.

"No," He said, not looking up. "that's quite all right."

"Ok, I'll go pick some things out for your wife then." He looked up, and his hand dropped.

"Oh, she's not my wife." The lady looked back at him and gave him and understanding smile.

"Oh, I see." She then left and he was given either the choice of Fashion Times or Beautiful Hosiery to read. He flipped open Fashion Times, and scanned the pages.

Pan held up the bra the woman had given her, and wrinkled her brows. She must be joking! She thought, snapping it behind her back. She looked at herself in the mirror, and called for the saleslady.

"I believe you gave me a size too small!" She called over the stall.

"No, dear. Why do you say that?" Pan blew hair out of her eyes.

"I'm, well…well, I'm falling out, ma'am." She heard the woman laugh, a sort of giggly sound, and she heard her walk away.

"It's supposed to be that way." She called behind her back. Pan blew more hair out of her face, this time with vehemence, and she picked up the next one.

Pan came out of the back room, and Trunks could tell she wasn't in the best of moods. The saleswoman brought out a blue paper bag, and Trunks handed her a credit card.

"Mr. Briefs? Of Capsule Corporation?" Trunks smiled and looked around, embarrassed. "Oh, ok." She smiled. "I get it. Don't want a lot of people to know, do you?" He gave her a quirky smile and clicked his tongue, giving her a one handed gun with his fingers. She giggled happily and handed it back to him.

"Now have a great evening, Mr. Briefs." She looked at Pan as if she was an after thought. "And to you too." Pan smiled weakly.

"Thanks."

She clutched the bag and stepped out of the store with Trunks. He put his left arm around her shoulders.

"So, where are we off to now?" She smiled and turned to him. "Oh, Pan, I can really see the wheels turning. Seriously, where to now?"

"How about some ice-cream? There's a place down there that-"

"Down there? No way. How about the place by the park. Next to the theater?" She looked longingly at the ice-cream shop in the mall, but smiled anyway.

"Sure, sounds great."

Minutes later Trunks handed Pan a strawberry shake, and stuck a straw into his own chocolate one.

"Good?" He asked.

"Mmmm, Hmmm." She said, taking the straw away from her lips and laughing. "I'm glad we came here!" He laughed.

"Wanna go for a walk?" She looked around at the park, then back at him.

"Sure." She said, hopping off the picnic table. "Let's go." Pan took the last sip of her shake and tossed it into the trashcan. She turned to Trunks, and clasped her hands behind her back, her head tilted to the side. He took a last gulp of his shake, and tossed it into the can after hers. "Twenty points!" She said, a huge toothy smile across her face. He smiled back, and folded his arms.

He stood there motionless, and she stared back at him, their eyes meeting. Pan straightened her head, and furrowed her brows with a smirk. He gave a smirk with a little laugh, and caught up with her.

Pan stopped at a "Y" in the park's paths, one leading right, one left. He stepped in front of her and took off to the right. She stared after him, a shocked smile on her face.

"Are you," He said, stopping and walking backwards. "the daughter of Gohan Son, going to let me beat you?" She laughed and ran after him.

Soon they were neck in neck, each ones heart pumping as they tried to gain on the other. Trunks was faster, but Pan wasn't going to let him win. She was pushing herself to her limit.

Pan could see a large fountain in the near distance, the path breaking into two and going around it in a circle. She gave a burst of speed and took the left. Trunks took the right, and both were racing to the other side where the paths met again into one broad cobblestoned walkway. There was a street over the walkway about twenty feet after they joined again, but no cars were in sight. Pan could feel her heart beat in loud, thick, even beats. Far apart the beats were, and she pushed herself harder.

The paths joined, and Trunks was right behind her. Suddenly with a burst of lightning speed he grabbed her around the waist, and swung her around to face the fountain. Just at that moment a city bus wheeled by on the street, missing her by inches. It all seemed to be in slow motion as she was swung around, and her heartbeat was slowing. Her feet touched the ground, and Trunks arms were still around her waist. His head was braced against her shoulder, but he didn't lift it yet.

"You all right?" He whispered against her ear. All she could manage was to nod shakily. He bit his lip, and slowly released his arms from her waist, instead grabbing her arms. "Are you faint?" He asked, and she barely gave a small nod. He nodded, as if satisfied that she had given an honest answer. He picked her up in his arms and kicked off the ground.

"Trunks, I ca-" He put a finger to her lips, and shook his head.

"It's ok." She looked down at the city below, it's many scattered lights luminescent as the moon, in different shades from green to blue to red. They were far below, and she clutched her arms tighter around Trunks neck. It was cold so far up, and she was now very aware of how thin the silk of her green dress was.

She rubbed at the chill bumps on her arms, and instinctively snuggled tighter to his chest. He smirked to himself, and in a flash she saw Vegeta in him like she had never seen before. He stopped when he was pleased with the altitude, and headed east, the opposite direction of her home. She raised her head off his chest, and looked around. She looked at him, and raised her eyebrows delicately.

"I'm taking you for a ride." He said, smiling-no, smirking.

"Where to?" She looked around once more. This time he smiled. He gripped her tighter, and picked up speed.

"Around the world." Her lip dropped, but she was smiling.

"You serious?" She exclaimed. "Around the world? Are you crazy?" He gave her an innocent grin.

"You've never flown around the world?" She shook her head. "You've never wanted to just fly around the world?" He stopped and smiled.

"Never!" He yelled, loud enough as if he wanted everyone thousands of feet below them to hear.

"Never!" She screamed, and he kicked off so fast a clap like thunder sounded below them.

Videl stirred hot chocolate powder into the steaming mug of water. Gohan clicked endlessly at his laptop, sitting by the dining room table, papers piled like mountains around him. Videl sat a mug down next to him, and he looked up at her and smiled a thank you. She put down hers near his and sat next to him.

"Do you think she's ok?" He looked up at her, a chocolate mustache on his face. She laughed and wiped it off playfully.

"What do you mean safe? She's with Trunks."

"I don't mean it like that." She twirled the cup around in a circle with the tips of her fingers. "I mean, do you think she's having fun?" Gohan smiled.

"I think this whole thing is giving her some good times. And I think it'll give her some self-esteem. She's never been a girlie girl, Videl. And I think every girl needs a little of that once in a while."

She smiled. "I guess that's what I thought. Hearing you say it makes it more tangible thought, if you know what I mean." He sat her on his lap and gave her a hug.

"You don't want to make something to eat, do you?" She slugged him in the arm playfully.

"You never change!" She said, laughing. Then she got up and opened the fridge, getting ready to make some chicken curry.

A motorcycle revved up on the TV, and Bura jolted awake. Stars lit the sky, something they had barely done when last she was awake. She stretched her back, and stood up out couch, stepping out of the comfy cocoon of her down blanket and her favorite pillow. She grabbed the remote and turned off the TV with a click.

Walking into the kitchen, she grabbed a yogurt and a can of chocolate whip cream. She opened the strawberry yogurt and stirred it for a second, lost in thoughts. Finally she woke up out of her dreamy state, and snapped the top off of the whip cream. She sprayed a layer of fluffy chocolate cream over her yogurt with flourish, and sucked the excess off the top. Snapping the lid back on she threw it into the fridge, and picked up her yogurt and spoon.

On her way out the door she looked at the clock and jumped. Two-thirty! She nearly dropped her favorite dessert. She made her way down the hall to where she could hear her mother and father talking in a workshop room.

She leaned against the doorway-opening her mouth to speak-just in time to see Bulma and Vegeta flirt over a wrench.

Her father had it just out of Bulma's reach, complaining she worked too much. She rolled her eyes at the sight of "old people" flirting like they were teens, and "ahemed". Bulma turned to her daughter, and Vegeta smirked.

"Bura? What are you doing up so late?" Her mother looked guilty, even thought nothing was really going on.

"I fell asleep in front of the TV. I just woke up. So when did Trunks get back?" Vegeta snorted, and Bulma kept looking at her daughter. A somewhat innocent, curious look on her face.

"He isn't home yet, dear."

"Isn't home? It's two-thirty!" Vegeta smirked and leaned his back against the wall, arms folded Vegeta style. "He met up with some friends?"

"No, I think he's still with Pan. Videl called to see if she ended up spending the night with you." Bura slapped the palm of her hand to her forehead.

"Ok." She said lengthily. "I'm gonna hit the sack then. Catch you two later." She stumbled out of the room, and jogged up the steps in a lazy sort of way.

She stumbled once more into her room, and tossed the now-empty yogurt cup into the trash. She looked at her bed and groaned; she had left her pillow and blanket downstairs. She climbed into bed, grabbing a pillow off her window seat, and pulled the lone sheet up over her head.

"Trunks what are you doing?" He laughed, but she held on tighter. "Trunks, that's water. Water. Not land!" He laughed again.

"I know. We're over the biggest, clearest ocean in the world." He said with satisfaction. He stopped about a foot above it, and began to put her down.

"What are you-" Small ripples appeared below her feet, and she smiled in delight.

"You're standing on water. Well," He said with a quirky smile. "as close as you can get to it." She looked up at him curiously. He took her right hand, and put his right on her waist.

She instinctively put her free hand on his shoulder, and looked at him even more curiously, although she didn't move.

"What?" He asked. "Don't you want to dance with me?" He shot her a smile like the ones he had when he was nine years old. She smiled, and they began to dance.

He twirled her, and she nearly lost her balance. He brought her back, and grasped her waist with both of his hands. She wrapped her arms around his neck, and he held her close. They danced in silence, and she wished it wouldn't end.

"You always said you wanted to." He said, almost a whisper. She raised and eyebrow at him mischievously. "You always said you wanted to dance on water." He didn't come close to whispering, but his voice was soothing, calm, and relaxing to hear.

She lowered her head, almost embarrassed of anything else he might know about her…that she didn't know he knew.

He stopped dancing, and looked deep in her eyes. "You've always dreamed what none of us ever dare, Pan." He gave a weak smile, as if he was appraising his own dreams. He brushed a strand of softly curled hair from her face. "Don't stop dreaming, Pan. Promise me you won't?"

His feet touched the ground of Pan's house softly, and he looked down at the sleeping Pan that lay in his arms. She was curled up close to him, her hair tousled pleasingly on her shoulders like a dark waterfall. Her skin glowed in the moonlight, and the thin fabric of her dress blew in the breeze delicately.

She had fallen asleep on the way home, this girl who looked like a glowing angel. He slid open the glass back door, and stepped into the Son's family room. The moon cast effulgence light across the room, and he tiptoed to the stairs. The carpet steps gave a soft padded sound as he walked up them, taking a left into her bedroom. A neon blue light shone from the plug, her night-light, barely enough for him to see by. But his eyes adjusted more than a human's would, his Saiyajin blood still influencing many things.

He pulled back the blanket, and lied her down, pulling his arm out from under her thick black hair, leaving it to cascade upon the water, seemingly blue from the small light nearer to the floor than the bed in height. He grasped the blanket and lied it over her, picking up a section of hair, splaying it over his fingers. He gave a sigh, then stepped out of the room, his hand grasping the doorframe. He didn't want to go.

He shook his head, hair falling into his eyes, and crept down the stairs, longing to ascend them once again.