Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ A Change of Heart ❯ Questions, Confusing Explanations, Speeding, and Ice-Cream ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

The alarm clock went off, and Pan reached out of her covers and pounced on it. The alarm took the hint-or hit-and she rolled out of bed. She went into her closet and changed into some red capri's and a white polo. She slid down onto her knees and fumbled through the stacks of shoes.

Pan awoke with a start, and realized she had fallen asleep on top of her shoes. She grabbed some white slides and hobbled-half asleep-into her room. She looked at the clock; school had just started two minutes ago. Snatching up a headband she slid it on her head, then fumbled with a little eyeshadow and lipgloss. Appraising herself quickly in the mirror, she grabbed her bookbag and ran out of her room.

She snatched a sip of orange juice on the way out, not having the time to even say goodbye. She ran down the residential streets, then stopped. Slinging her bookbag over her shoulder, she took off into the air.

Bura tapped her pencil against her paper, and glanced at the clock. It was ten minutes after eight, and Pan wasn't anywhere in sight. Pan was never-never-late. And Bura looked at Marron who was thinking the same things.

Pan skidded to a halt and looked at the hall clock. Fifteen after. She took in a deep breath and raced to her classroom. Sliding to a halt, her tennis shoes made a rubber mark on the floor. She looked into her class, and waited for the teacher to turn around and look at something to sit down at her desk.

The teacher stopped his streak of chalk, and looked around as if he smelt something in the air. He turned around quickly, just in time to see sweating Pan pick up her book out of her bag.

"Miss Son?" She cringed, book halfway between her bag and her desk. She looked up, and put the book lightly onto her desktop. Mr. Morrins walked over to her desk, and pulled out a sheet of paper from a folder. He filled it out neatly, and slapped it on top of her book.

"Twelve pages." He said, his glasses slipping down his nose. "Twelve pages, typed neatly, not larger than size twelve, on the affects of plagues to large cities." He straightened his jacket with a jerk. "And how it influences history, and how we learn from them." She groaned, and he shot her a look.

"Yes, Mr. Morrins."

"Due tomorrow." He folded his arms. "Perhaps that will help us to be on time?"

"He's an idiot." Bura said, slipping the wrinkled tomato out of her sandwich. "I mean, twelve pages on `plagues'? For being late? He only does that because he knows he can get away with it. That isn't even standardized punishment!" She tossed her sandwich to the side and moved on to her Icee.

"Really, Pan, you should complain to someone. I mean, twelve pages by tomorrow? Who's he kidding? I would complain."

"Who'd I complain to? Him?" Bura pushed her Icee away, irritated with it too. Pan picked at some cheese rice, and pushed her plate to the center of the table, leaning forward on her arms.

"Of course not him! There are higher-upper's you know." Pan covered her eyes and gave a sickly groan.

"I don't feel well." Bura picked up her tray and tossed the remaining food into the trash, picking up a glass of good old Coke.

"So," She started, with a happy hesitancy. "how was last night? Get anything new? By the way, your hair looks great." Marron gulped the last of her soda and leaned forward, intent on the conversation.

"Thanks. Nothing really." She stood and picked up her tray, Marron following her lead. Soon the evidence of their meals-if you could call it that-was gone, and they were walking down the hall. Bura elbowed Marron and smiled.

"Trunks wasn't home when I went to sleep last night." Marron smiled. "And I went to sleep at almost three." Marron giggled and looked excitedly at Pan.

"Nothing happened." Pan said, opening her locker and switching books. "I got my hair and make-up done, then we did a little shopping, then we got an ice-cream, and we…well, we…we flew around for a bit."

"Where'd he take you?" Marron asked, now opening her locker.

Before Pan could think about what she was saying, she said, "He flew me around the world." Marron gasped, a hand over her mouth, swooning like she had just seen Cinderella and Prince Charming kiss. Bura giggled, and kept on walking.

"I thought something must've happened good. Anything else interesting?" She asked hopefully. "Anything romantic we should-or want to-know?" Pan sighed.

"Ok, well, I don't know what to make of this, so please tell me what ya'll think." Marron and Bura listened intently. "Last night, Trunks-" The bell rang, and it felt like the earth shattering. The girls covered their ears like it was louder than it was, and started racing for class.

Bura opened the door and ushered them in. All three of them slapped their books down simultaneously, and before the teacher spoke Bura whispered, "You have to tell us after school!"

Trunks woke up with a jolt as his secretary beeped at him through the phone. He sighed and pushed the button.

"Yes, Claire?" He realized after he said it that he sounded annoyed…and he was. She beeped in on him every time he got a chance to sleep.

"Someone is here to see you." He racked his brain for anyone that he might have had on his schedule today. He told her to "hold on", and he browsed through his folder for the day. No, no one was scheduled for a meeting today. He slapped himself at his stupidity for not asking her who it was in the first place, then asked her.

"A Mr. Son. Gohan Son." A smirk crossed her face and he opened the door. Gohan stepped through with a wide smile; a somewhat subdued Goku smile. Trunks grinned and leaned back in his chair, arms crossed behind his head.

"And what brings you here, my friend?" He asked, still smiling. A deep laugh came from both of them, and Gohan flopped into a chair. Trunks dismissed the data pad and computer screen that he just realized was there, and leaned forward on the desk.

"Just wanted to come say hi. Videl's been on the rampage today." He winked. "And so here is my sanctuary, that is, anywhere from home is my sanctuary." Trunks saw through the half-truth, but smiled just the same.

"What are you really here for, Gohan?" Gohan's huge grin lessened without leaving, and Trunks knew there was something more about this visit. Gohan scratched his arm self consciously, and looked at Trunks.

"Trunks," He began. "don't take this the wrong way." Trunks cocked a brow. "But I was just curious how things were going, you know, with Pan and everything." Trunks smiled at Gohan's shy approach to the subject. Gohan had never been shy about anything.

Trunks pointed it out too with, "Gohan, what do you really want to say? You've never beat around the bush to me about anything, and I'll be pretty ticked if you start now." Gohan smiled. He couldn't help but admire Trunks. His father's pride in the best sense, his mother's determination and endurance, yes, Trunks was the best of both worlds. But there was more than that. A ton more good qualities that Trunks had, and he wondered why he was worried for Pan.

"Trunks…" He trailed off, not sure of what to say. "What exactly is going on?" He finished boldly, almost a little too boldly. Trunks smiled.

"Well, the girls had a `girlie' thing planned by giving Pan a makeover and all that. Instead of standing her up-"

"I know all of that. I want to know why you are really doing it." Trunks raised a brow, and leaned heavily forward.

"I didn't want to stand her up. And it's kind of been fun anyway. I'm glad I could do it. I mean, it's fun having Pan around. You know, another little sister to hang out with. One that doesn't get on my nerves." He chuckled. "If you know what I mean."

Gohan smiled. "I guess that's all I needed to hear." He stood up and gave a grin. "And all I really came here for." Trunks walked his friend to the door and opened it. "Trunks, why don't you come over for dinner? I know it'll be fine with Videl." Trunks smirked and nodded.

"Ok, I'll be over."

"You can bring your fami-" Trunks grabbed Gohan's arm, and gave a funny look. Almost like Gohan said a dreaded word.

"I think I'll come solo if that's ok." Gohan smiled. Trunks lived at home, and probably wanted to get away for a little bit.

"You know that's fine. See you later then. About seven?" Claire, Trunks secretary walked up, a folder in her arms and stood respectively.

"That'll be great. See you then, Gohan."

"Pan!" Bura exclaimed, pushing through the end of school rush for the different buses. "Pan, wait up!" She finally caught her friend and grasped her arm for support while she caught her breath. Marron soon emerged from behind a line of students, and she joined the group walking towards Bura's car.

"So?" She asked. "What about last night?" They all leaned against the side of Bura's convertible, waiting for Pan's answer.

"Hey," Bura interrupted. "Why don't I give you a ride home, Pan? I'm giving one to Marron anyway." Pan nodded, and the three of them filed in the car. Bura driving of course, Pan in front, and Marron in the back leaning through the gap in the front seats.

"Continue!" Marron said, shoving her backpack down on the floor. "Tell us!" She

prompted

"Well, I don't know what to make of something." She started. "Last night, while we were flying-"

"Around the world!" Bura interrupted, then waved her hand for Pan to continue.

"He stopped above an ocean, and he asked me to dance." Marron giggled, and Bura's eyebrows shot up in interest. "He said something like, `you've always wanted to dance on water', or something similar. So I don't know if that was romantic of him, or if he was just being nice. You know, thoughtful."

Bura looked thoughtful for a moment, and Pan turned around to see Marron stuffing a donut in her mouth, looking thoughtful none the less.

"I think," Bura said at length, in a slow, thoughtful tone. "He doesn't know."

"What?" Pan and Marron asked together in chorus, both with weird expressions on their faces.

"I think he's not sure. I think he's not sure whether he does or doesn't. Like you, that is. I think he's confused. And I think he's confused at his confusion." Both the girls looked at Bura. Her explanation was `confusing', but it made sense…weirdly enough.

Bura pulled onto a side road, and asked Marron for a donut. Marron passed two up, one for each or the girls in front, and Bura crammed it in her mouth before stopping at a stop sign. She pulled out of it, and they were soon on a smaller residential road. The girls heard a siren, and they al turned around to see a police car behind them.

"Crap!" Bura said, pulling over. A fat policeman got out of the car and stepped over to Bura's window. She already had it rolled down, and he leaned on the sill.

"Miss, you were going ten over." Bura cringed, then gave an innocent smile.

"Whoops. Sorry, I didn't realize it. It won't happen-" He pulled out a tablet, and asked for her driver's license. She reluctantly gave it to him, and he went back to his car to get a check on it.

Marron and Pan giggled, and Bura shot them a look. "It isn't funny. You guys aren't paying for it." Marron looked at her.

"And you are?" Pan smiled as the policeman came back and handed her card back to her. He filled out a sheet and handed it to her.

She looked at it with a wince, but smiled none the less good-naturedly. He nodded and gave a wave.

"Good afternoon, ladies." They all smiled back, and Bura banged her head against the steering wheel before putting the car in drive.

"That bites." Pan said, and Marron nodded through another donut.

Pan pointed to the left suddenly with a, "Turn here!" Bura did, and soon Pan was giving her directions.

"Where're we going?" Marron asked as Bura turned down another road. Soon, a small shopping center was in their sights, and Bura was directed to pulled into a spot in front of a video store and an outdoor ice-cream place.

"My treat." Pan explained with a grin. The girls hopped out and they went inside the gate, staring at all the different flavors and choices.

"Whoa! I can't believe I've never been here." Marron said, and Bura agreed, nodding.

"It's best also if you know what to get." She walked up to the counter with a mischievous smirk, and unzipped her tiny camo wallet, leaning forward onto the fake marble slab. "Three super chocolate sweetheart flips." The guy nodded, and Pan led them to a nice seat inside a mini gazebo. The whole place was decorated like a Victorian garden, and Bura and Marron studied the place in slight awe.

"How can you have not taken us here before?" Bura asked, giggling. Marron nodded excitedly.

"Just never came up." She looked at her friends looking at all the other garden tables, gazebos, water fountains, and tree swings. The guy that had taken their order walked up with two huge dishes of pure rhapsody in chocolate. Everything was "heart-themed", and chocolate dripped from every possible place. It looked delicious!

"I'll be right back with yours." He explained. And, true to his word, he came back with Pan's. Marron and Bura had already dug into theirs, and Pan took no time in catching up. After their dishes were cleared-to the hilt-Pan jumped out of her seat.

"I gotta go. I didn't tell mom about this and she's-" Bura stuffed her hand into her purse and brought out her cellphone.

"No prob." She said, handing it to Pan. "Go ahead. I've got enough minutes." Pan sat down, now calm, and dialed her house. Bura picked up their dishes and took them back to the counter, handing them to the guy that worked there.

She sat back down at their table and Pan finished up her call. She sighed, somewhat annoyed, somewhat happy.

"What's up?" Bura asked, taking back the cell phone Pan passed to her. Marron wiped off her mouth with a napkin demurely.

"My mom says I have to be back by five thirty, or at least six." The girls nodded. "To help with dinner." She continued. "Trunks is coming over. Dad saw him today and invited him." She looked to her friends, as if the last part was a question. Bura looked at her watch, it was almost four.

"Well, we'll come over and help you get dressed." Bura said matter of factly. And Marron agreed with, "Definitely."

"But first," Bura started. "we have some time to kill until five thirty." She smiled, and the girls all stood up. "Hey!" Bura said, grabbing her friend's arms. "Why don't we go to the video store next door and get a movie for tonight. You guys can come over to my place. Pan, you can just come over with Trunks after dinner."

"Or we could all watch it at my place." Pan suggested. Bura turned to her and took her arm, walking out of the ice-cream place and into the video store.

"But, love, I have the big screen TV." All the girls laughed and agreed.