Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ A Change of Heart ❯ A Talk On Marriage Over Dinner, The Tin'aco Experience, And Unheard Apologies ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Pan walked in the door, her friends behind her. She went into the kitchen, pointing Bura and Marron up the stairs. They went up to her room, and she found her mother searching in the fridge for something.

"I'm home." She said, touching the silverware her mother had out on the counter. Her mother looked up and smiled. "So Trunks is coming over?" Her mother nodded, pushing her sleeves up with her chin, chopping some onions.

"Is that a bad thing?" Her mother asked, and Pan shook her head.

"Hey, mom, Bura and Marron are upstairs. I'm gonna go tell them I'll catch them later." She started towards the door, then stopped. "Oh, I almost forgot. Bura wants me to come over and sleep tonight. Marron's going to. I'll just go to school with them in the morning." Videl looked thoughtful for a moment, then gave a nod.

"That'll be fine. How are you getting to her house after dinner?" She picked up the onions with one hand and the knife, tossing them into a pan.

"Trunks is just going to take me afterwards. That's ok, right?" Videl smiled. "We're going to watch a movie and stuff." Videl nodded pleasantly. "Ok, be right back!"

She ran up the stairs two with each step, and was in her room in no time. Bura and Marron were poring over a Karate magazine.

"Mom says it's ok. But you guys gotta go now, so I can help with dinner. See you later?" She grinned.

"Yep." Bura said, picking up her purse and peeking into Pan's closet. "Hey, mind if I borrow that pink dress?" She asked.

"Sure, no prob." She laughed. "I think that's the first time anyone's asked to borrow my clothes. Anyone that wanted to look cute at least." The girls exchanged smiles. Bura picked it up on its hanger and the two of them jogged down the steps with Pan. "See you later!" Pan said again and stepped into the kitchen.

Her mother was now chopping carrots, and Pan looked at the clock that clearly read five o'six. Her mother handed her a can opener and soon she was opening cans of cream of mushroom soup.

Trunks threw on a pair of khakis and a blue plaid button up shirt with a dark blue wifebeater under it. He didn't stop to look at the mirror as he grabbed his bomber jacket and stepped out of his room. He stopped at the top of the steps and grabbed the banister, jumping over it and onto the floor. Bulma stood in the doorway of the living room, arms folded, a displeased scowl on her face.

"You know I hate it when you do that." She said pointedly. He shrugged innocently. "You know I don't. I've been telling you that since you were fifteen." He gave a playful smirk and lifted his hands. "And before that, when you used to slide across the kitchen table and pick your food up via-flight." He smiled. "Where are you going?"

"Gohan invited me over for dinner. So I'm gonna head over there, then Conner and the guys want me to meet them to play some pool for a bit. Won't be long, don't feel like going out too much tonight."

"See you tonight then." She said, giving him a kiss on the cheek. "Your keys are on the hook. You left them sitting on the counter earlier."

"No worries." He said casually, digging into his pocket and pulling out a key. "I'm taking the bike tonight. Catch you later, mom." He gave a little salute in the air and rushed out of the house, already a few minutes late. But he'd make it up on the way.

Pan slid the hair comb into place and sprayed it with a little hairspray. She brought the clasp of her necklace around to the back, and straightened it on her neckline. She stepped back a step from the mirror and examined herself fully.

She had a peach colored trumpet skirt on, with a matching cowl-neck tank. She had tan color flip-flop styled sandals, with a spiky heel on them, her toenails a shimmery peach, and her nails matching. Her necklace and earrings were made of the inside of shells, shimmery and whitesh-gray.

She heard her father answer the door, and she licked her glossed lips and straightened her skirt. Taking a breath, she opened her door and walked to the stairs. She could see her father and Trunks standing by the door, Trunks putting his coat on the rack. She eased her hand lightly on the banister and took a step, followed by another. She stopped near the bottom and her father and Trunks turned. Her father gave a satisfied smirk, and Trunks smiled.

"Hey there, Pan." Trunks said, his teeth flashing. She smiled, and took the last remaining steps.

"Hey." She said casually, and her father ducked into the kitchen. He came back and told them everything was ready. Trunks and Pan exchanged smiles, and she led him into the dining room.

He pulled out her seat for her, and then went around the table to sit across from her. Gohan and Videl came in, both carrying a dish or two, and sat them down.

"I'm so glad you could come over, Trunks." Videl said, smiling and taking the lid off of a dish. She picked up a spoon and started dishing it out.

"Thank you…I appreciate it." She passed Gohan a plate of food. She picked up Trunks', and started filling his.

"I should have-Gohan should have thought to invite your family." Trunks smiled, and Gohan winked at him.

"He did actually. To be honest, a night away from the fam is a welcome thing." He laughed. "I'm actually planning on moving out pretty soon. I mean, I'm thinking about it. It sounds like a good idea, but you know." He smiled as Videl handed him his plate, now full of food, and said, "Thank you." quietly.

"Move out?" Videl smiled. "You'll be moving out soon enough, Trunks. Before you know it you'll get married, and then you'll wish you were back home." She gave a little laugh. "But I guess it's good to get out. Especially when you're older. How old are you now, Trunks? Nineteen?" Pan felt herself blush-hopefully only inwardly-as her mother mentioned Trunks getting married so casually. Her mother passed her plate of food, and she started poking at it as they spoke.

"Yeah. I'll be twenty in a little bit." Her mother's brow's rose, and she gave a happy smile.

"Wow, twenty already? And I thought I was guessing above when I said nineteen." She sat her plate down in front of her now, and picked up her fork.

The wind blew Pan's hair gently around her face, and she hugged her arms around herself. It was the beginning of fall, chilly, yet the air still had the last remnants of summer. She heard Trunks feet touch the deck's wooden floor, and he was behind her. She racked her brain for something to say, and came up empty handed. At a loss for words, she turned around and smiled.

"I'm staying the night with Bura." She said, hoping it didn't sound to weird or stupid. "So, I was wondering if I could just ride back with you."

"Yeah," He rubbed the back of his neck thoughtfully. "I've got the bike. If that's ok, then I'm cool with it." Her heart gave a leap at his mention of having the bike with him. "Oh," She looked at him curiously, and hoped that he didn't see the disappointment on her face at the thought of him saying no. "I have to meet some friends tonight."

"Oh." She said, wishing he wouldn't see right through her. She let go her arms and clasped her hands behind her back.

"But it won't take long. So, you're still welcome to come if you want." He shrugged, a quirky smirk on his face. She nodded, her mind elsewhere.

"I'm going to get my things then." She said, walking towards the door. He grabbed her hand, stopping her from taking another step. She raised a brow questioningly, and he opened his mouth to speak, then closed it again.

"I'll be outside." He said at length. "Waiting on the bike." She nodded and went inside.

He straddled the bike and turned on the engine, the breeze ruffling his hair, rain ready to spill. Pan shut the door behind her and ran out, putting a pair of pajamas into his bike bag. She grabbed the passenger helmet and slipped it on, taking a hair tie and putting her hair into a low ponytail. She jumped on behind him, and put her hands on his waist, lifting her feet to the pegs. He walked it back and turned, taking them down the residential street with the hum of his motorcycle.

"Sorry about the bike!" He yelled behind his back. She shook her head and leaned close to say, "It's ok, I like to ride." He smiled and stopped at a stop sign. "You do, eh?" He asked, and she nodded vigorously.

"Where are we going?" She asked, tilting her helmeted head to the side. He took a left onto a main road.

"The Tin'aco." He said. She racked her brain for a visual, but came up with nothing. "It's just a little bit from here. Not even out of the way almost." She nodded, and he turned right.

After a few more turns he pulled into a bar. She looked at him questioningly as he got off and took off his helmet.

"This is it." He said, waving his hand towards the direction of the South American bar/lounge. "You coming? It looks like rain." She looked from him to the entrance, then back at him again. She slid her helmet off, revealing the now falling out ponytail, pieces falling around her face. She stepped off the bike and followed him in.

Smoke drifted permanently at the roof of the room, and waitresses in short skirts and different colored skanky halters walked around taking orders and lying down drinks for the customers. All the waitress's were Latino, and-pan soon realized-had perfect bodies.

Trunks slinked around, looking for his friends, suddenly acting the playboy. He smiled, flashing his perfect teeth, and waved to two guys playing pool. He turned to pan and titled his head towards them. He walked over and picked up a pool stick, holding it to the table and striking a ball. One guy, with dark brown hair and a spoiled rich boy attitude walked over to him and they slapped palms together, grasping thumbs in a manly handshake.

"Trunks, glad to see you could make it." He nodded at Pan, and she smiled appropriately. "And you are?" He said, a hand extended.

"Pan Son." She said, accepting his hand by returning her own. He raised his eyebrows and looked at Trunks, then back at her.

"A pleasure." He said. "A real pleasure. My name is Cedric." She smiled, and another boy walked in. He came into the light and Pan recognized him as Conner Degraid.

"Mr. Degraid." She said pleasantly, extending her hand. He smiled and shot a look to Trunks, then took her extended hand.

"Miss Son." He returned. "Please, just Conner tonight." She brought her hand back and clasped both in front of her. "Miss Son has applied for a job at Degraid Advertising." He explained, although they all already knew. "We've met previously as you can tell." He smiled. "Glad you could come tonight. In fact, I've been meaning to talk to you about some things. But first, mind if I steal Mr. Briefs for a moment?" He emphasized the "Mr. Briefs" and winked at her.

He grabbed Trunks' arm and pulled him aside. He took another look at Pan who was now being introduced to Dave, and looked back at Trunks.

"Amazing." Trunks smiled as if he was talking about something Trunks had invented or created. "Can't say anything else about it, Trunks."

"Good enough to pass your test?" Trunks asked, folding his arms, the collar of the bomber jacket sliding against his neck.

"Almost." Conner said. "But I have to really see her in action." He bit his lip. "How about you two meet me and my girlfriend some night? Let me really see her. That is, unless you can think of another plan."

"How about you and your girlfriend come as planned to my birthday? It's formal attire, you'll get to see the real her in an evening dress." Conner smirked.

"Then I'll see her then. And we'll swap money then." He laughed. "Although we pretty much know who's going to win." He broke into a grin. "Shall we go back?" They both got back and Dave was teaching Pan how to play pool. The rest of the guys sat in a poolside booth, watching him teach her.

A waitress came to their booth and slung a hand on her waist, the other pulling out a pad of paper and a pen. With the same hand she pulled out a pen and stuck it in her teeth as she kneeled, her arms folded and leaning on their table.

"And what can I get you guys?" She said with a Spanish accent, her dark hair falling in her eyes, her lips parted ever so slightly. Trunks browsed through the menu, Conner looked over his shoulder at it, and Cedric smiled with a, "Bloody Mary." She wrote it down quickly and looked at Conner.

"Blue Lagoon Margarita." He said, nodding. She looked at Trunks and winked, a playful eyebrow raised. He looked over the menu once more.

"Pin* Colada." He said, and she wrote it down. "And those two are with us." he said, pointing to Pan and Dave. Dave had his arms around Pan, showing her how to do it and they were both laughing about something. She put a hand over her mouth, and he laughed into her shoulder.

Trunks felt anger flare up in him, but he stifled it quickly from showing outwardly.

They both cleared their throats and looked at the waitress. She folded her arms delicately and looked at them.

"I'll take a strawberry daiquiri." Dave said, and both the waitress and he looked at her. She smiled.

"I'll take one too." She cleared her throat nervously. "Virgin." The waitress gave a smirk, and looked Pan up and down appraisingly. The guys looked at her, Dave with a cute smile, Conner with interest, Cedric with a smirk, and Trunks with an inward groan.

"Livin' la vida loca, eh?" The waitress said with a chuckle. "Alright, your drinks will be out soon." She said and stepped out of the section, her stiletto strappy sandals clicking on the floor.

Dave slid into the seat next to Cedric, and she slipped in beside him; Trunks was on the inside with Conner. They all looked around at each other, and Conner began the conversation.

"What are you doing for your birthday?" He asked Trunks. Trunks shrugged, and gave a Vegeta-style smirk.

"My mom planned something or another. A fancy schmancy dinner or something like that." He looked at them all. "And none of you can bail out on me." They all laughed. "It's formal." He added formal with emphasis, and he saw all the guys self-consciously rub their necks as if thinking about the tie they were going to be wearing-and hating by the end of the night.

"Are you coming?" Dave asked Pan, leaning forward on his arms, looking at her with a quirky smile. She gave a cutsie smile back, then opened her mouth to speak, but Trunks cut her off.

"Yeah, she is." They both looked at him, and he added, "That is, I've invited her. I want her to come." Pan then nodded at Dave, and he grinned.

"Great." The waitress slinked back to their table and lied their drinks down. She put a hand to a hip and turned to Pan.

"Make sure you don't get the daiquiri's mixed up." She said, a sarcastic smirk on her face. "You can't tell them apart by sight." Pan ignored-or more likely didn't care about-her remark, and turned to Dave, who was sipping each. He pushed one to Pan with a, "This is it." and went back to sipping his own. "Tell me if there's anything else I can get you." The waitress said turning around and leaving. She turned her head towards them again and winked at Trunks. "I'll be just over there." She tossed her head of black curls towards the front lounge. Trunks went back to his drink after a smile her way.

Pan watched the girl walk into the lounge and sit down with some other servers. She was up against a lot. She realized. The looked down at her self and what she was wearing. `How can I beat that?' She thought, watching the waitress laugh perfectly flirtatious in the next room. She sighed and took a sip.

Casual conversation continued, and when the drinks were finished Dave had pan slide out and he got up. She sat back down, and he pulled out his wallet, picking out a couple crisp bills he lied them on the table.

"Gotta' run, guys," Then smiling at pan he added, "and ladies." Conner stood up and pulled out his wallet also.

"I better get going too. Tomorrow is a weekday." He winced for everyone to see. He lied down some bills, and Dave looked at Pan.

"Can I give you a lift?" He asked, putting his wallet back. Trunks pushed his glass away from him and got out of the booth also.

"I'm takin' her." He said, waving the waitress over. "She's staying with my sister tonight." He looked at Dave, to get his reaction, and Dave smiled.

"Hopefully another time then." He said, waving them goodbye and stepping out the door. The waitress came over just as Trunks and Cedric were pulling out money, and she smiled.

"Leaving so soon?" She asked, and they all gave nods. She picked up the money from the table, and the money Cedric handed her. She turned to Trunks and smiled sultrily. "I was hoping to get to know you better." She said, putting a hand to his arm. "Maybe another time?" She asked, and she tilted her head to the side like a puppy that wanted to play.

"Maybe." He said, handing her his money. "Bye." He said his good byes to the guys and walked out with Pan. It was raining heavily, and he stared at his uninviting bike, both the helmets long blown away from the handlebar and back seat.

He gave a frustrated groan, and walked up to it. He turned to Pan, who was already wet, her thin peach dress deeper in color, yet too sheer for comfort.

"I'm sorry we have to ride back like this." He said, sitting down on the bike, rain pelting onto his bomber jacket, his hair wet and darker. She walked up to it slowly, as he sat, and clasped her hands on front of her.

"I don't mind." She said meekly. "Not at all." He looked up at her, half frustrated, half amused at her timidity. He smirked, and she sat down next to him.

"We don't even have helmets." He said with a thoughtful smirk. She folded her arms and leaned forward, head turned to him.

"It's a lot more fun that way." He laughed, and swung a leg around the bike. She stood up and positioned herself on it too. He backed it out and stopped at the entrance, leaning back he said, "Ready to go?" She grinned. "Yes!" He took off and her wet hair spun around, drops of rain falling from the tips. He took the bike down the road fast, and made his way to the Capsule Corps. house.

Moments later they arrived, and he pulled into the garage. Stepping off his bike, he reached into the bike bag and pulled out her pajamas, surprisingly dry. They both shot each other an amused look, and he handed them to her.

He walked into the house without a word, somewhat cold to her. He made his way to the kitchen, and then up to the floor his bedroom was on. He touched the doorknob to his room and stopped when he heard Pan speak to him from the stairway; Bura's room was a flight above his.

"Trunks, I was…well, I was wondering…" She trailed off, and looked down at her fidgeting hands. She looked up at him, piercingly unwavering, her eyes as deep and bold as Goku's. "Did I do something wrong tonight?" Her wet hair hung around her face, separating into small strands. He folded his arms and leaned against the door frame.

"No," He said, and he kicked himself that it sounded so insincere, so cold. "you didn't do anything." He gave a smirk, a cruel, arrogant one, and went back into his room, shutting the door behind him.

She hugged herself, her head bowed down. "I'm sorry." She whispered, but he didn't hear it.