Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ A Friend in Need ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A/N: Yes, I am jumping on the bandwagon and writing an Evil Yamcha story. If you want to read a story where Yamcha is not a cheating jerk (warning: shameless plug ahead) try my fics Über Babe and Whatever it Takes, where I portray him quite favorably. Nonetheless, there will be a little Yamcha bashing in this fic. Not a heckuva lot, just a little.

Your input would be appreciated. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: Nope, don't own it, not making even half a cent on it. You get the drill.


"C'mon, baby." Yamcha curled an arm around Bulma's shoulders and pulled her closer. "We've been together for how long now?"

"A long time, but I'm just not ready to do this yet," Bulma told him.

"I love you, Bulma. You know I'd never hurt you, right?" Yamcha persisted.

"I know, and I love you too, Yamcha," Bulma assured him. She did love Yamcha and she wanted to be with him, but somehow on his couch and drinking cheap wine wasn't exactly how she'd imagined their first time would be. Besides, she wanted to get married and Yamcha hadn't shown any inclination of asking her. She didn't want to make a mistake if he wasn't actually serious about marrying her.

"Then what's the problem? It'll be fantastic, you'll see." Before she could respond, Yamcha leaned down and kissed her.

Bulma could feel her resolve weakening as his hands began to wander and he slid one under her shirt.

***

Bulma sighed and looked up from the files on her desk. Her lunch hour had come and gone, and Yamcha hadn't called to say whether or not he would be available to meet her for lunch. In fact, she'd only managed to reach him once during the week since that day, and she was beginning to feel anxious and, well, used. She felt like she'd made a mistake that evening. But no, he had told her that he loved her. Why would he lie to her about such a serious subject? She was simply overreacting.

There was a knock at her door and her secretary poked her head in. "Hey, you're working too hard. You forgot to go to lunch," she commented.

"I guess so," Bulma agreed, getting out her purse. It looked like she'd be dining alone that afternoon.

"If he calls, I'll let you know right away," the young woman told her softly.

"Thanks." Bulma smiled at her and grabbed her car keys. She wouldn't let this bring her down. "See you in a bit."

***

Bulma pulled up in front of her favorite little café and headed inside. She'd decided that she'd get a half sandwich and a cup of the soup of the day. Their soup and sandwiches were consistently good.

She was not prepared to see what she did when the waitress seated her. There, two tables away, sat her boyfriend with another woman. She watched in despair as the woman dabbed at the corner of Yamcha's mouth with a napkin before feeding him a french fry.

Bulma's shock quickly became anger when he nipped the woman's finger playfully, making her giggle. No doubt about it. This was not a business lunch, or even two friends sharing a meal. They were definitely on a date.

She didn't want to make a scene, but there was no way she would ignore the situation either. As calmly as she could, Bulma walked over to the enamored couple and sat down at an empty seat. "Hello, Yamcha," she purred sweetly.

Yamcha nearly choked. "Bulma..."

"You didn't tell me you were inviting a friend to lunch today, honey," Bulma continued. "I must have missed your phone call."

"I... uhm..." Yamcha stammered, not knowing what to say.

The woman shifted uneasily in her chair. "Yamcha, is there something you haven't told me?"

"Evidently he didn't tell you he already had a girlfriend- me," Bulma told the woman. She wasn't angry at her, since, judging by the look on her face, she'd obviously been lied to.

The woman rose to her feet. "You've been lying to me for two months?" she hissed angrily.

"No, baby, I never lied-" Yamcha began, but the woman cut him off.

"You didn't tell me the truth either, which I consider to be lying," she retorted. "We even..." She shook her head. "Don't call me anymore. I don't ever want to see you again."

"The same goes for me, Yamcha," Bulma told him angrily. "We're through."

"Wait," Yamcha pleaded, but both women ignored him.

The woman turned to Bulma. "I'm so sorry. I honestly had no idea he was already seeing you," she whispered before rushing out of the café.

Bulma promptly followed suit, her head held high. She didn't need Yamcha! But she was upset at herself for letting herself be deceived by him.

She got into her car and pulled out her cell phone to call her secretary, asking her to cancel her appointments that afternoon because she felt ill. Somehow she made it home, not even recalling the drive because she was so upset.

"Bulma?" Mrs. Briefs asked in surprise as her daughter unexpectedly entered the house. "Why are you..." She trailed off as Bulma rushed past her and toward her room.

Bulma was so distraught that she didn't see Vegeta in the hallway and promptly collided into him. "I'm sorry," she whispered, picking herself up and rushing to her bedroom.

Vegeta watched as her door shut. Not too long after, he could hear crying from inside her room. He frowned. Why would she be crying? He debated knocking on her door but decided not to. She'd been mopey all week and had mentioned to her mother that she was waiting for her boyfriend to call her. If she was upset for the reason he suspected, speaking calmly with a male was probably not a priority on her list.

He let out a little growl. Perhaps he should knock the weakling around a little, teach him a lesson. He paused. Why was he so concerned about this woman's welfare? He sighed. He knew why- he was attracted to Bulma. He had been for some time now, but hadn't acted on it since she already had a boyfriend. The woman was intelligent and attractive. She deserved better than a man who would make her cry.

Who was that? Him? She was polite to him for the most part, but usually they argued over petty things. It was better that way. If she suspected that he had an interest in her, she would only laugh in his face.

Vegeta continued on down the hallway as he made his way to the GR. He would train hard, grow stronger to better himself. Perhaps if he managed to reach his goal of Super Saiyan she might take notice of him.

He growled again. He was being ridiculous, allowing himself to think so much about this woman. But she wasn't just any woman.

She was perfect.

***

Bulma lifted her head from her pillow when an explosion from outside rattled her windows. "What on earth was that?" she exclaimed, temporarily forgetting about her tears. She pushed the curtains at her window aside and gasped at what she saw.

The GR had exploded, and no doubt Vegeta had been inside.

She rushed outside. "Vegeta! Vegeta, are you all right?" she called out, trying to remove the rubble he was undoubtedly trapped beneath.

"Bulma?"

She turned to see Yamcha standing a few paces away, holding some flowers. "Go away, Yamcha. I have nothing to say to you."

Yamcha frowned. "At least let me help you," he offered.

She gave him a long glare. "Fine."

After digging Vegeta out, Yamcha carried him to the infirmary and placed him in a bed. "Can we please talk?" he pleaded.

Bulma crossed her arms stubbornly. "I already told you that I have nothing to say to you," she repeated, turning away from him. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have better things to do than waste more time on you."

Yamcha scowled. "I came here in good faith-"

"Good faith? You took my virginity from me while you were cheating on me for two months with another woman and you have the audacity to talk to me about good faith?" Bulma shouted. "Just go away, Yamcha! I don't want to even look at your face anymore. Leave me alone!" She turned away again.

"Want me to throw him out?" a weak voice asked.

Bulma looked down at Vegeta, who was trying to sit up on the bed. "You lay right back down, Vegeta," she ordered. "You're hurt."

"Not so badly that I can't squash a bug," he informed her.

"Fine, I'm going," Yamcha retorted, knowing that Vegeta had no qualms about kicking his butt, injured or not. "Who needs you, anyway? I've got a better girl waiting in the wings."

Bulma's shoulders fell as he left the infirmary, and Vegeta could tell she was crying again. "He's not worth your tears."

"But..." Bulma wiped at her face with the back of her hand. "How much did you hear?"

"I heard enough," he told her. "You deserve better than him."

Bulma sniffled and gave him a shaky smile. "Thanks, Vegeta."

He grunted in response and rested back down against the bed as she came over to dress his wounds with gentle hands. He would be patient while she recovered from her distress. Then maybe, just maybe...