Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Akki no Onna ❯ the present ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

~

11 years later

~

The day Akki Briefs had landed in the middle of Bulma's most recent project, the machine Bulma from the future had made crushing whatever oddity THIS Bulma was creating, was the mark of a new age for the Briefs household. Not only did Trunks now have a bratty little sister to contend with, Bulma have the daughter she always wanted, and Vegeta have the perfect sparring partner, but a new darkness seemed to be collecting over their heads. Not so much that it could tingle their senses, sending the warriors on high alert, but the creepy feeling you sometimes get in the back of your head, making you irrational thing that someone is watching you so that you're always looking around expectantly, waiting for someone to randomly jump out of nowhere. THAT kind of feeling.

Now, eleven years later, that fine black mist was beginning to collect into thick sheets of dangerously dark clouds, ready to let loose its rain of torment and devastation at any moment. The worst thing about these clouds, however, was the fact that even thought they were forewarned, this caution was completely forgotten and therefore completely useless.

Indeed for Akki Briefs today was another normal day in a series that consisted of her life. She had completely adjusted to life as a Briefs by now, choosing to almost completely forget that it isn't only POSSIBLE, but PROBABLE that she isn't a Briefs at all, but actually a Son.

Trunks was her brother, as far as she was concerned, and although they had hit off to a more then a little rough start, life-threatening experiences (such as Buu) snap small bounds of resentment and irratation and replace them with friendship. To sum it up Trunks Vegeta Briefs accepted his sister and let her into his life.

Which was predictable. Not many people could go through such an altering experience without coming out of it closer out of necessity and survival instinct. So the trio (Trunks, Akki, and Goten) had been best friends throughout the rest of their childhood, completely comfortable with each other. They were prone to act like one person when around each other- their bodies immediately making the transition from three to one in a heartbeat, and since the trio were so at ease with this they didn't notice the uncomfortable silence that the casual observer usually held when they took in this spectacle.

Vegeta, himself, watched these scenes in-between awe and repulsion. He was the only person who dared use this union as an advantage, training them in advanced combat moves and watching almost eagerly at the spectacle of three children moving in such unison that would make the most elite soldier envious.

But, in short, although many (namely Gokou and Videl) tried to break this union, disgusted by it for some unknown reason that could not be spoken of, and the trio would never know if anyone, including Vegeta, could help it, would not be broken. The bond between them was as stubborn as the trio itself. Probably even more so.

Now, at seventeen, Pan was in her second to last year of high school, Goten in his last, and Trunks graduated, running Capsule Corps under his mothers tutorage, and they didn't have much time to meet together. Pan and Goten would casually say hi to each other in the halls, or if time permitted eat lunch with each other, laughing when all the students stared at the duo in complete shock. After all it wasn't every day when you see the most popular guy in the school sit with a punk. More then that- actually enjoy himself, unabashedly showing it.

It was on one of these such days, when Goten finally asked Akki out. After a long talk they had decided on three things:

1) If things don't work out, then they'll go back to being friends and act like the relationship never happened.

2) If Akki ever finds out that she's a Son then they'll stop dating.

3) If their relationship advances far enough (they both note that this isn't very likely) then they'll have a discussion about their relationship and what they want to do about it in the future.

The only reason they even discussed this to begin with, was because they fit so perfectly with each other, but after the first few days of dating they found that they had gotten a lot more involved then either had bargained for. They were perfect for each other, and although this idea frightened them a bit, they knew that this was truly meant to be no matter how long it took them to realize it.

The reactions they had gotten from their family and friends were priceless, though. When they had announced it, first there was shocked silence, then acceptance because everyone knew that they were perfect for each other, and then a disgust outrage.

It had long since been decided that Akki truly was a Son- Son Gohan's daughter Pan, in fact. They came about this conclusion solely based on the fact that she looked nothing like Bura and she and Pan looked extremely similar. Although no one had thought to take a picture of her when she first arrived at age six, the features of the five year old versus the seventeen were striking. So they viewed it as if Akki was the niece of Goten, and Goten the uncle. More importantly- they replaced Pan with Akki. Hence the disgust. But they accepted it after the initial phases of shock died down and the two explained their reasoning.

It was Trunks that had taken it like a blow to his head. His shock was more defined and Goten and Akki's calm voices explaining their relationship didn't help him either. He had long since viewed the relationship the trio had as the closest experience he would ever have to true love- unconditional as well as indefinable. They were a part of his soul somehow, and when they were together he could barely distinguish himself from them.

But after they had grown closer in a way Trunks new he never could, he felt the lose of their companionship dearly. He could excuse them for it- after all it was probably mostly his fault for not being around when he should have…maybe if he hadn't been completely caught up in learning the ropes of the business world his mother had forced upon him since practically he first graduated…then maybe he wouldn't have lost his connection to them.

Fastened by these insecurities, Trunks was left in his own world filled with doubts and loneliness, with no one to ease his suffering- not even a casual smile from Akki or a grin from Goten. Both were too involved in the first stages of romance to pay him any mind and see through his somber façade and see his suffering. Only Vegeta would casually watch his son while leaning against the wall, frowning a bit more then usual, seemed to notice the state of mind Trunks had fallen into and was debating silently over what he could do. And then there was Gokou, who had known why Goten and Akki could never be together and why he had to prevent it in the first place, be like the irresponsible child-like adult that he was and forget completely what know plagued Vegeta in an almost-fear-like emotion. Since Vegeta never approached him or said a word that seemed out of place relating to the duo's relationship or Trunks' mentality Gokou simply smiled cheerfully and was without a care in the world.

In the end no one seemed to be doing much of anything to change the situation. Trunks sulked in silence, while Vegeta continued to watch him almost fearfully, waiting for SOMETHING to happen, though he wasn't sure what. Goten and Akki continued to date, the excitement of their romance never quite wearing off, while the others simply waited, though like Vegeta they didn't know for what.

All in all everyone was completely oblivious to the fact that a light drizzle of wrongness was beginning to pour onto the Earth, strengthening with every passing day, until a few months later the inevitable happened- a new enemy emerged.

~