Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Broken Lies, Shattering Truths ❯ The Letter ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I don't own DBZ.

Bulma walked out to the gravity chamber. Vegeta was late coming in for dinner, which was extremely odd. She went to shut the chamber down and unlock the door to abruptly bring his training to a halt. She had to check it twice because it was not turned on at all and the door was unlocked. She cautiously opened the door and stepped inside.

To her surprise, Vegeta was seated in the middle of the floor with his back to her. She took a few steps forward and noted that he did not seem to notice that she was even there. She crept up closer and looked down over him. It was then that she noticed the piece of paper held in his hands.

"Writing me a love letter?" she asked jokingly.

Vegeta visibly jumped. He had not heard her enter while he was lost in his memories. He glared up at her, "What are you doing here, woman?"

"You're late for dinner. I already fed the boys because Gohan will be here any minute to pick up his brother."

"I will eat when I am ready to. Now leave me alone."

Bulma, ignoring his threatening tone as always, knelt down beside him to get a better look at the paper. "What is that, Vegeta?" the woman inquired leaning over more to get a better look at the paper.

"A letter."

"May I see it?" She took the sheet from him before he could refuse her request.

"Sure, go right ahead…" he mumbled half-heartedly. "I highly doubt that you'll be able to read it. I can't; I don't even know what language it is written in."

Bulma looked closer at the letter for a few seconds. "Where did you get this?"

"It doesn't matter, I have had it for a long time. Now since you can't read it, give it back."

"Well you are right, I can't read it. Well not all of it that is," Bulma watched as the man jerked his head towards her with a surprised look on his face. "I can pick out a few words here and there. Like down here at the very bottom it says 'love, your father'."

She sat there for a second thinking about what she had just said. "Vegeta, was this written by your father?"

"Yes, woman. How do you know how to read it?"

"Interesting…what I really need to know is how your father learned how to write in Latin?"

"What is 'Latin'? And how do you know what it is when you've only been off this mud-ball once," Vegeta questioned.

"Latin is an old language and you don't have to leave this mud-ball, as you love to call it, to learn it. It's a human language."

"Human?" he whispered repeating her. He was now more confused than ever as to the contents of the letter. "Do humans still speak it?"

"No, it's a dead language. Only highly educated people are taught it, like doctors or lawyers and I think priest learn it, too."

Vegeta thought for a minute. He did not want to admit that he could not do something by himself but this mystery was getting old and he wanted it solved. "Can you get this translated for me?" he asked in a timid voice.

Bulma was not sure that she heard him correctly. His voice was so odd and quiet, it almost did not sound like him. "Sure, I think I might have a Latin dictionary somewhere in my house. We'll just take this inside."

She started to lead him back to the house. Vegeta was too caught up in his thoughts to sense that Gohan had just flown in. He got startled for the second time that day when the teenaged boy spoke to him.

"Hiya Vegeta! Hi Bulma. What do you have there?" he said indicating the letter.

"Gohan, did Chichi make you study Latin by any chance?" Bulma asked hoping that he had learned it.

"Of course," Gohan started and then went into a fairly good impression of his mother. "My son is going to be a doctor or a lawyer some day so he will have to know the classics."

Bulma laughed at the boy's antics. "Can you do us a big favor? Vegeta has this letter," she was cut off by the Prince snatching the letter out of her hands.

"I will not have you let the half-breed son of a third-class idiot any where near my father's letter."

"A minute ago you wanted it translated and now you don't? He's a smart boy, he won't tell anyone what it says other than you and I. Right, Gohan?" Bulma's voice rose, as her temper was growing short with the Prince.

"Right, I won't tell anyone. Not even my father if he ever comes back." Gohan agreed. "So what is the letter anyways? Did you say that it was your father's? As in, King Vegeta wrote it?"

"Fine just do it quickly. I have been waiting to know what it says longer than you have been alive. I don't want to be kept waiting any longer."

They went inside and sent the younger demi-saiyans up to Trunks's room to play. They sat down at the kitchen table as Gohan worked his way through the letter rewriting it. Bulma tried to eat and get Vegeta to do the same but he was too worked up to even sit down. He just paced back and forth.

Gohan looked up after a while, "I think I got it right. Do you want me to read it to you?"

"Don't ask, just do it," the prince barked as he took a seat across from the boy.

"Well, here it is…wait, what is 'Kissaki'?"

"None of your business brat, just read the letter!"

"Ok…

Kissaki, if I am not the one reading this to you, then I must already be dead. I do not trust Freiza nor do I like the idea that Queen Pinaca made a deal with him to take you. Yes, that is right, it was solely her doing and not mine. I would have wished that she had made a better mother for you but that was too much to ask. As of the time I am writing this, she has not crossed me so I will not speak badly of her any more.

If you can read this then you must have found the right planet. And just to stop you from wondering, I was on Planet Earth. I cannot tell you the entire circumstances behind it in a letter but someone there can tell you. Go south of the city of Azure, just outside of the city is a small house. If you take the medallion I gave you to a Dr. Kensei that lives there, you will be told the entire story.

You will be told things that you may not want to believe. They are true and I am sorry. Remember, you are my son. You are the King's first-born son, The Prince of All Saiyans. Don't let anyone speak ill of you or say that you are any less than that. Be proud of yourself and you heritage for both are important and special. With Love, Your Father."