Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Changing of the Seasons ❯ Chapter 1: Heartfelt Decisions ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

*Disclaimer: Yeah, you got it. I don't own anything but the computer this file sits inside of. That is all. ;-;*

[A/N: Okay, I'm starting the second chapter smoothly! See, I'm gonna get this done soon, I promise...Anyways. I had posted this earlier, but I fixed it up a bit. And now I can actually get this started for real. Okie dokie, let's get started!...]

Changing of the Seasons

~ Chapter One ~

by Loaf of Pan

"Pan, this is one of the best schools in America, and I think it would be fantastic if you went there. So, think about it. It's the opportunity of a lifetime" my father said, throwing the brochure into my lap. This was the little miracle I'd been waiting for. Bra, who was sitting next to me, just smiled knowingly as a huge grin spread across my face.

"Oh, I guess I'll browse it a bit. Thanks Dad." He turned and walked out of the room nodding his head.

Bra squealed and turned me around in my seat. "Pan, this is exactly what you've been needing. You're SO going." Of course, I still wasn't sure if I was ready to go halfway across the world for the next four years. That is an extremely long time.

"Bra, aren't we jumping to conclusions? This is a major decision, you know."

She got that Shut Up Pan, You Don't Know What You're Talking About Look. I get that a lot from her. "Son Pan, if you don't take that opportunity, I'm never going to forgive you. You don't just want this, you NEED this. And I'm not going to stand by and let you bypass your dreams just because you're a little scared." Well, when she put it that way...By the way, have you ever noticed Bra could get just a tad forceful? She'll be sure to fill her mother's shoes well.

And she got me thinking. REALLY thinking. More so than ever before in my tiny life. And I decided I should go. It would give me a chance to show everyone just exactly what I'm made of, and who knows? Maybe I'd learn a few tricks along the way.

"Maybe you're right, Bra. I do need this, and it might give me a reason to prove my worth." Bra grinned an evil grin, the one she got from her father.

"And it'll show Trunks just how lost he is without you." I knew I had turned a bright red, because a omnipotent smirk crept onto her face. Was I really that hooked? It's kind of sad when you become the one thing you've dreaded most in your life: a lovestruck idiot. And I wasn't JUST a lovestruck idiot, I was a lovestruck idiot who had fallen for a man who's more than half my age. Go figure.

I walked into my father's office later that night with the brochure in hand. "Pan, what are you still doing up?" he muttered as he stared continuously at the paperwork strewn across his desk. He never did give his work a rest.

"Well, I wanted to talk to you about this." I said, throwing the pamphlet onto his desk. He nodded and picked it up. "Any thoughts?"

Thoughts? I already picked the dorm I wanted to stay in and everything. "Well, maybe a few. I think it would be a good experience. And I know I'll learn a lot when I go there."

His eyes got a bit wide. "When?" My father's a cute one, isn't he?

"Yes, when. I've decided I really want to go there. Like you said, it's prestigious, and the opportunity of a lifetime. So, I'm taking it and running."

He looked excited, but he did seem a bit sad. It must be hard hearing your daughter admit she's ready to spend the next four years away from home, and that's not even including college. "Okay, I'll call them tomorrow and set up everything."

"Wait, Daddy?" I hugged him lightly, and kissed his cheek. "Thank you." For more than you'll ever know... He smiled and held me in our embrace. I guess he just might be ready to let me go. My mother, however, is a completely different story.

I ran downstairs, because I knew I had to tell my mom. She wouldn't be able to take it if she didn't hear it from me. Then I could comfort her, and everything'll be okay! I hope...

"Pan, sweetie, don't you think you should be going to bed soon?" Parents can be so predictable.

"Mommy, I have to talk to you. It's really important."

She looked to me quickly, sighing. "Pan, what did you do now? If this is about the neighbors and their dog again, I don't want to hear it." I smirked. It deserved to be blown away anyways. Besides, Goten helped me.

"Actually Mom, this is about school." Her face lit up.

"Well, it's nice to hear that you're finally getting serious about your future. So, come on, out with it." Okay. She asked for it.

"Okay, Mom, you might find this as a real shocker, but I've been needing a change for a while, and I think I finally found it, because Dad showed me this paper about a school in the US and I've really gotten attached to the idea, so he's calling and enrolling me tomorrow, but it doesn't have to do with you, because I love you, but I really need to go, because it would do me some good to get away." I blurted out in oh, I'd say...7 seconds.

And I waited for my mother's reaction. I knew it wasn't good, because she was growing pale into this unearthly shade of white, and that scared me. She let out this wail, and pulled me into a bear hug. I wasn't expecting that.

"My baby's growing up and leaving home already!! You've gotten so big and so beautiful, sweetie, I'm so proud of you!" she cried into my hair. Well, she's taking this better than I thought she would. She slowly let go of me and smiled tearfully, which made me cry a few tears. "Okay, we'll go shopping for your school stuff tomorrow. Is that okay with you?" I nodded, wiping my eyes and hugging her once more.

"You're the best, Mom." She smirked and ruffled my hair lightly. I hate it when she does that.

"Well, Panny, I aim to please. Now go to bed, you need your rest." I turned around and walked up the stairs.

Now that little ordeal was over, and I had to skim down the mental to-do list once more. I only had a few more people to tell about my big decision. And one of those persons was Trunks. I wasn't sure how I was going to tell him I was leaving without breaking down into an emotional mess and blurting out everything I was trying to keep from him, but I was determined to stay strong in front of him. He may have my heart, but I was keeping control of my head. It was the only thing I had left to guide me through what I was about to encounter.

[Hurrah!! I've completed Chapter 2, and I'm actually satisfied with it. I think it's a bit cluttered though, so be sure to review and give me your suggestions. Okay, next chapter, the pace might pick up a little bit, so I'll do my best to keep them coming a bit quicker! Be sure to r/r and help me out a bit. Thanks and bai! ~ L.O.P-chan]