Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Compromise ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 5
 
[Goten]
We're all sitting in Bulma's living room, the last alien attack making them think that there's a good chance of there being another one. This lead Gohan to suggest that we have a sort of meeting about it. I'm not sure what he thinks is going to get accomplished; I mean all we know is that `they're here to conquer Earth'. That's nothing new.
Anyway, that's what we're doing, talking about the aliens who seem to want to take over Earth.
“Well, I think next time you should let us fight,” Pan spoke up, referring to herself and Bra. She's leaning with her arms crossed over the back of the couch, a slight pouty look on her face. From the look on Gohan's face, that's not very likely to happen.
“We don't even know who they are, or what exactly they want with Earth,” Trunks pointed out, “Plus, there was another entirely different race last time we met that one that also seemed to have a separate…if not possibly the same…agenda as those guys. Who knows how strong their people will be if they decide to come back.”
“And,” Bulma pointed out, as she sets down glasses of ice tea, “This'll be the second time that race of aliens has come here only to stop communication with wherever they're from. That might mean that next group they send will be a lot stronger.”
Vegeta lets out a snort from his position in the corner where he's leaning on the wall. “I can take whoever they have to send.”
Bulma looks over to him, “Oh, I'm sure you can. I was only making a point.” Her small smile shows her slight teasing.
As the discussion is going on my mind begins to wander. This is normal; my attention span can be rather short, a lot like my dad's. I've already noticed that Dillon isn't in the room…maybe he's left. He hadn't looked very happy, as we'd made our way back to Capsule Corp. What I'd seen of him while fending off Divinia, that is, she'd been mighty concerned with the relatively small bruise on my jaw. Come to think of it, I'm not sure where she is either…with mom probably.
The thing still on my mind specifically about Dillon, and Trunks, was the conversation before the aliens showed up. I really wish they hadn't. Or, had at least waited another five minutes, then maybe I'd know for sure what was going on. So long as Trunks hasn't changed too much, once he gets mad, he can rant on for days.
As it is, I'm not even sure I heard what Dillon said correctly, though I'm not sure what else he could have said, even though I wasn't really listening closely. I'm pretty sure he did say something about Trunks keeping him around for sex, though…or something like that. That would then have to mean that he and Trunks had…had sex. There's something about the idea that makes my stomach turn uncomfortably.
An image of the two of them pops into my head, though I don't much want to think of it. However, sometimes my imagination goes places I don't want it to. I'm unable to stop as the picture fills my mind…Trunks and Dillon, their arms wrapped around one another, lips locked. Trunk's hair falling forward into his face, as those lips move to kiss soft skin elsewhere, his strong hands moving slowly down…
I snap myself out of, my breath coming slightly faster, along with my heart beat. And as I look around to see if anyone has noticed, my gaze meets Trunks' across the room as he shoots me a curious look. I feel heat rush across my face, no doubt turning my cheeks pink.
“So, we'll all keep our guard up and step up training.” I hear Gohan saying in the background, I guess their discussion is over. I have no idea what they said, but they seem to have decided what the plan is.
“I really hope that the next group of aliens that come by are a lot stronger than the last group,” my dad says with a hopeful look up at the ceiling, “It'd be nice to have a really strong opponent to fight.”
Vegeta says something in response to my dad but I miss it because suddenly Divinia is standing next to me, saying loudly, “Oh, Goten, sweetie, let's go. You no doubt need your rest after such a hard fight!” As she's tugging on my arm to no result, it hits me just how little she knows about me, and while I already found her to be a little annoying, I now know there is no possible way I could live with her for the rest of me life. No matter what my mom wants, even if I weren't having these feelings, what ever they might…or might not…lead to, for Trunks, marrying her isn't something I can do.
Now that I know this…I have to figure out how to tell my mom. But first, I take my arm out of her grip, stepping away from her, “Actually, I feel just fine.” I grin at her to show her this, “But, I do think that maybe you should go home. I'm sure we're not going to talk about anything that you'd like,” whatever that might be…
“But Goten, I really think…” she begins, and I don't let her get very far. Mostly because I'm afraid I'll give into her if I let her keep talking.
“Really, I'm fine. You should go,” I once again grin at her, trying to show her this is a good idea. I even give her a little push in the direction of the door. Sometimes women can be really stubborn…and even a little dense.
“But Goten…” she starts again, only this time before I can interrupt her, someone else does.
“Hey, Goten,” I hear Trunks' voice as I feel his hand settle on my shoulder, his arm reaching around my back, his body close to mine and I feel my heart speedup, “can we talk?” His gaze drifts to Divinia, “I think the party is over, if you want to head home. I'd like to borrow him, to talk strategy, boring stuff for people who don't fight.”
“Fine,” I hear huff, though I'm not paying much attention to her, I'm too focused on Trunks and his close proximity. How warm his hand is, even through my shirt, how I can feel his chest bush against my arm as he inhales, how good it feels to have him there, close.
When she's gone Trunks drops his arm from around my shoulders but doesn't step away. “Come on,” he says, motioning upstairs, “Let's go talk.” Before I can respond he heads for the stairs.
It only takes me a minute to recover once he's not right next to me anymore, and I take off up the stairs after him. He's already entering his room by the time I catch up to him. As I step in behind him, I remember what happened not but a few hours ago when I last entered his room. Yet, it feels like days, and if I were to get the same feeling again, I don't think I'd run. Somehow, in three hours my whole perspective on not only Trunks but what our friendship could be had changed. It almost feels that if we'd seen each other over the last eight years that maybe it already would be more…this though causes that bubbly feeling in my stomach again.
My attention is brought back to the room as Trunks plops down on the bed, “So, I was thinking, while they were all talking, that maybe we should brush up the Fusion Technique, incase we need it.”
Fusion. Fusing with Trunks, as adults. That would be interesting, I wonder how it'll be different then when we fused when we were kids. I wonder if it'll different at all. “Yeah, that sounds like a good idea.”
There's an awkward silence as we both look at each other, no one saying anything. It feels almost like sizing up an opponent, taking them in and trying to find their strengths and weaknesses.
As we stared at one another I'm not sure how to read Trunks' expression. I want to say that something in it is almost possessive, but I could be wrong. Actually, I probably am, since it doesn't make a lot of sense.
Not knowing what else to do, I go and sit next to him on the bed, leaving a couple inches between us. The silence goes on, only now we're not looking at each other. I want to ask him what Dillon is to him exactly. I can't seem to get past it, even though it hadn't seemed like Trunks was all that into him. But Dillon's words `keep me around for sex' keep bouncing around in my head. “Trunks, is Dillon your boyfriend?” I finally ask, though my voice comes out really soft. I'm afraid of the answer, no matter what it is.
“No,” comes Trunks' voice from my right, it's soft as well but there's a hardness to it, a sort of disgust to the thought maybe.
“Then…I mean, before the aliens showed up, he said…or I thought he said…” I let out a sigh; this isn't going as I had planned. The words aren't coming out right.
He lets out a soft sigh, “I know what he said,” Trunks said, “You don't have to repeat it.” I feel him shift on the bed next to me, “Goten, what Dillon said, about me keeping him around for sex. Well, he was pretty much right.” He went silent for a moment, shifting around beside me again.
This pause gives my mind a chance to catch up with his words. He was...or is…sleeping with Dillon. But Dillon isn't his boyfriend. It takes telling myself this a couple times for it completely sink in. Yet, while I'm very happy to find out that Trunks is into guys, I don't know what exactly keeping someone around for sex entails. I've never had cause to do so.
When I finally look over at him, his expression is odd, I might almost call it shame if I didn't know Trunks better. My expression must be one that he can't read either because he looks away after seeing my face and says, with a bit of a dry laugh, “I guess a good description for me would be a player.”
“A player?” I ask, “Doesn't that mean you get around a lot?”
Something in the way I said it must have been funny because he lets out a short laugh before looking back over at me, “Yeah.”
“So, you've slept with a lot of people?” I ask, just to make sure I'm getting it right. I do have a habit of getting things wrong, and I don't think this is something I want to get wrong.
Trunks nods, he's looking at the ceiling now instead of me. “A lot of men,” he specifies. Looking at me again, any trace of that emotion I'd seen earlier gone, “Goten, just to be clear, I'm gay.”
I nod dumbly for a moment. “O-ok,” I manage to get out, a flood of emotions bouncing through my brain.
He must think that, by my reaction, I don't approve or something because he says, “I hope that doesn't change anything…”
Change anything? Oh, it changes many things, but not in the way he's thinking. And in a moment of emotion and frustration caused by the man sitting next to me, not more than an and inch or two away, I lean over and kiss him quickly, adding with a grin in a low voice, “It changes everything.”
 
[Trunks]
The conversation about the aliens is coming to a close, nothing that we wouldn't already be doing had really been discussed and as Gohan concludes with “So, we'll all keep our guard up and step up training,” I finally catch Goten's gaze. It's really obvious he's been spacing out through the entire discussion, and I wonder what's been distracting him. I'm only more intrigued as a blush creeps across his face.
As Goku says something wanting the next batch of aliens to be really strong Divinia walks into the room. Her course is straight for Goten and I hate it. And as she begins to talk I feel the need to puke try take over, her false sweetness nauseating. “Oh, Goten, sweetie, let's go. You no doubt need your rest after such a hard fight!” Does this woman know nothing about Goten? That fight barely winded any of us, though she's probably just trying to get herself and Goten out of here. Bitch.
I see Goten give her a grin and tell her, “Actually, I feel just fine. But I do think that maybe you should go home. I'm sure we're not going to talk about anything you'd like.” I have to suppress a smile of my own at the fact that he's trying to get rid of her, the mere thought brings me joy.
She starts to talk but Goten just cuts her off, “Really, I'm fine. You should go,” and he even nudges her to the door. This time I do smile, but I can tell she isn't going to leave, not with out a fight and so I make my way over.
She starts to speak again, but I cut in, laying my arm around Goten's shoulder, placing myself closer to him than she is. “Hey Goten, can we talk?” I say to him before fixing my gaze on the woman opposite me, my stance next to her `fiancé' bordering possessive, “I think the party is over, if you want to head home. I'd like to borrow him, to talk strategy, boring stuff for people who don't fight.” My message is clear, leave.
She gets it loud and clear and if looks could kill she'd have murdered me. “Fine,” she spits at me before turning on her heel and stomping out, but not before looking over her shoulder to send me another scathing look.
I feel a small triumph as she stalks off, and let my arm drop from around Goten. Though, I allow the closeness to linger for a moment longer before saying, “Let's go talk.” I head for the stairs and my room without waiting for him.
I'm nearly in the bedroom before Goten catches up to me and we both step through the doorway. I make sure to close the door behind me as Goten continues to space out. I let him to thoughts and sit heavily on my bed, scooting back to lean against the wall. Once I feel comfortable I look over at Goten and propose the idea that had come to me while we were talking in the living room. “So, I was thinking, while they were all talking, that maybe we should brush up the Fusion Technique, incase we need it.”
He seem to think this over for a moment, not looking completely convinced before nodding slowly, “Yeah, that sounds like a good idea.”
A long silence passes in which Goten and I watch each other. And I can't help but look him over and wish he were mine instead of that woman's who had no idea what she's got. She's not suited for him, all high class and snobbish. He needs someone who can relax and doesn't always have a stick up their ass.
He also deserves someone who hasn't slept with nearly every guy in West City, but I try to ignore the little part of me that says that.
When he comes over to sit next to me on the bed, I'm at even more of a loss than when he was standing halfway across the room. I'm not used to feeling awkward around someone I like or want, but the fact that it's Goten has me all at odds. Even in the past few encounters with Goten, it hadn't felt this awkward, it's almost as if something has shifted and I'm not aware of what it is.
Goten piping up with the question, “Trunks, is Dillon your boyfriend?” I'm so thrown that I don't know what to do but deny it.
“No,” he's not, but it's so much more complicated than that. I glance over at him; he's sitting there, his face looking down at his lap. In the moment he looks so young and the last thing I want to do is hurt him.
“Then…I mean, before the aliens showed up, he said…or I though he said…” Goten tries to say and I know exactly what he's talking about. I was hoping that he heard, not that I thought that was really the case.
“I know what he said, you don't have to repeat it.” I turn a little to look at him, and even though I've decided to just tell him the truth, no matter how it might end, I still find it hard. “Goten, what Dillon said, about my keeping him around for sex. Well, he was pretty much right.”
I shift back, but continued to watch him out of the corner of my eye. He seems to be deep in thought, mulling over what I just told him. I wonder what he thinks about this, what his reaction is going to be. I'm not exactly proud of this and I don't want Goten to think badly of me for it.
I see him look over at me and I don't know what's going on in his mind. He doesn't look like he quite gets what I'm saying, so I clarify. I want him to understand, even though I'm not necessarily proud of my track record with men, but since the topic had been brought up, he should know now rather than later. “I guess,” I begin to clarify, “a good description for me would be a `player'”
“A player?” Goten asks, thinking it over for a moment, “Doesn't that mean you get around a lot?”
The way he words it makes me laugh, it reminds me how innocent he can seem. “Yeah,” I confirm once the laugh has subsided.
“So, you've slept with a lot people?” he asks, and whether it is or not it feels like a judgment. Though, the use of the word people hits me, making it sound like anyone, male or female. I while I have slept with a woman before, it's not something I'm all that interested in repeating.
I give him a nod to the general idea of what he's said, but clarify by saying, “A lot of men,” and looking at him add, “Goten, just to be clear, I'm gay.”
He nods back, looking a dumb-founded. “O-ok,” he says slowly.
Seeing his reaction I suddenly feel really uncertain…I have no idea how this is going to turn out once Goten's mind catches up to him. “I hope that doesn't change anything…” I say softly, not sure what else to do. This doesn't seem to be going well from where I'm sitting and I only hope we can still be friends, I'm pretty sure all hope for anything else has been lost. Not that Goten has ever had any sort of interest in men, I mean he has a fiancé…what the fuck have I been thinking?
When I feel Goten's lips brush mine in a very brief kiss, I feel a wave of surprise wash over me. Looking over at Goten in shock he gives me a huge grin and says, “It changes everything.” And my heart skips a beat, I swear.
As we sit there my brain catches up to the world around it, and it seems Goten's has as well as a light blush flushes across his cheeks. His grin wavers slightly as his gaze starts to shift down to the bed. But whatever is going on, I'm not ready to let it end, or let talking or awkwardness get in the way of it.
Lifting my fingers to his chin, I raise his head up and lean in kissing him. This kiss lasts longer, I make sure of it. His lips are soft, and while he doesn't pull away, he seems tentative. And I slowly pull back, opening my eyes to look into his and whole moment seems surreal. After eight years of not seeing him, it only took a week for him to steal my affection. I suppose that he always had it and I just never knew it.