Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Dance With Death ❯ Flight of the Shadows ( Chapter 13 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I don't own DragonBallZ or any of its characters, I just own Comet.

"Dance With Death"
by A.C

Chapter Thirteen
Flight of the Shadows

Author's Note: This one's for ye, Masq, who asked "When are we going to get to some action?" ^^ Enjoy

---`---,---@

"C'mooooon!"

In a flash, the teenager's ki level dipped upwards on a roller coaster ride, his hair burning golden as his power soared, eyes flushing teal. With his cry, he took to the sky, charging towards his target. The android's face morphed into a broad smirk and he remained, motionless, as if doubting the teen would ever reach him.

Trunks picked up speed, gaining on his target. If only Cell wouldn't move, if he could land a blow...

He was getting closer! Five yards and closing in. But just as he threw his fist forward, also throwing most of his weight behind it, the tall green form flickered and disappeared. Trunks was forced to follow through with his attack to prevent pulling a muscle in his arm, but doubled around and came to an abrupt stop, staring around furiously, jaw set.

"Where'd he go!?" he growled, chest heaving as he shot icy glares in every direction, desperately trying to seek out his target. A startled yell from below caught his attention, and he looked quickly down and felt his eyes widen. "No!"

Cell had reappeared directly below and was fixing his cold gaze on the young demi- Sayain - Gohan. He watched the boy over the top of his outstretched hand, his palm pointing directly at him. Everyone present felt the flicker of the Android's ki as it materialized on his palm. True, feeling his aura itself was a difficult thing to do, but masking the ki of an attack - especially one that had already been distributed from the user, not in contact with his body in any way - was nearly impossible.

Gohan could only stare in rigid fear at the attack growing, formed for him. What was going on?

"What are you doing?!" he heard Piccolo's angry cry, "Your fight is with Trunks, not with him!"

Cell's smirk was far from amused, and merely flashed in effort to cause the Namek's blood to run cold. "You and the boy threw yourselves into this fight just recently. Don't tell me you don't plan to follow through?"

Piccolo bared his fangs, his nails digging into his palms as he clenched his fists. The Android was right! With Gohan's impromptu attack earlier, the young Sayain had gotten himself involved, and Piccolo had also grudgingly joined the fray by deflecting it. A choice he wasn't happy with, but what was to be done? Trunks wouldn't be pleased, but anything to stop this creature had to be done.

"Fight back, Gohan!" Piccolo encouraged, dropping his gaze to the young boy standing slightly before him, "He's right."

"Leave them alone, Cell!" came Trunks' scream, as the teen came plummeting down towards them with the same speed used as before. The energy-sapping charge. Cell, knowing he couldn't properly build enough ki for an attack the boy couldn't deflect, was forced to switch targets. Instead, he raised his hand and pointed it directly at Trunks. A moment later, he glanced up at his quarry and smirked only more broadly.

Trunks didn't let this slow him down, but within he felt a faint prickle of fear. Could Cell charge up a powerful attack before he reached him? Even if he couldn't, he was plainly trying. Trunks himself couldn't throw out an energy attack of his own. His ki was being used to propel himself forward. So, instead, he stopped abruptly in midair and thrust out both his arms. "HYAH!" he yelled, as a large golden ball erupted in his palms and continued its creator's previous flight.

Cell's smirk slipped abruptly off his face, as his own ki attack flickered and died. The Android brought his other fist up, contorting his muscles and focusing all his strength into his left palm, which was outward and facing Trunks. "AaaaAAAAAAAAH!!!"

The golden ball of energy collided with its target, but there came no explosion as the spectators were anticipating. The energy hesitated as Cell momentarily struggled with the burning ball of ki, his teeth clenched and bared in a grimace of concentration. Finally, he threw his weight into his other arm and swung it around to collide with the flickering attack he held. There was a snarling roar, an echo of flames, and the ki ball shifted direction and propelled itself back at Trunks.

Trunks only had time to throw himself back as the attack brushed his chest and continued hurtling upwards. Ignoring it and the nearly fatal blow he had scarcely avoided, he looked back down at his opponent. Cell's smirk was faint, but enough to perturb him. He cursed silently, keeping his attention on Cell, but his mind desperately snatching at ideas.

Goku had been watching the entire fight in a still trance, refusing to move a muscle, not speaking to anyone. It was difficult to decipher what he was thinking. It was hard to read what was in that piercing stare he would fix on Cell, or what thoughts shifted through his mind when he looked up at Trunks.

Now, however, he caught his son's eye and gave the slightest of nods. Gohan felt a faint throb of panic in his chest, but averted his attention to the Android and stared at his foe, eyes wide and unblinking. He knew what his father was asking him to do. He knew what he had to do.

He had to recall what had happened during those frequent training sessions with his father, take his training and put it to the use he had learned it for.

He had to become a Super Sayain.

And so, as he stood, staring in a swirled mix of fright, concentration and nerves, he tried to recollect the steps he had taken to ascend. He had to feel it, not just want it.

'I need to feel the need to destroy him!'

The demi-Sayain clenched his teeth and put on a hesitant mask of determination. Hesitant, held back by fear. He struggled to push all outward thoughts out, and concentrated only on his raw emotion.

'I need to get angry!'

His eyes cinched shut, as he focused on those that were close to him. Piccolo, his teacher and companion, who had the biggest impact on his fighting abilities. He tried to remember that helpless feeling during those long days, when Piccolo continued to push him, and he felt like he would never get stronger.

'I need to feel it!'

He tried desperately to think of his fight with Frieza, as he hovered in midair and could only watch, a helpless child, as his best friend Krillen was killed right before his eyes. He tried to recall Krillen's words... but couldn't.

His eyes flew open again, staring as his panic overcame the concentration, and his face twisted into a wide-eyed, horrified expression.

'It's... it's not working!'

Before him, he could see Cell, hovering and beginning to rise in the air. He was going to fight Trunks. He was losing his opportunity! He was losing his concentration and his confidence!

He looked hopelessly at his father, who stared back. Gohan could see the question burning beneath the blank stare - 'Why haven't you ascended?' His father couldn't help him. Desperately, he glanced at Piccolo, who was watching the fight. What could Piccolo do?

'No one can help me... I have to do this! On my own!'

"What are you thinking, Trunks?" Cell's deep voice cut into Gohan's thoughts, and he tore his gaze upward to watch the fight. "Having any last regrets?"

Trunks, it seemed, wasn't thinking anything of the sort. His eyes were gleaming with a concealed hatred and fury, his hair waving in the breeze his aura stirred up. Every muscle was tensed and rigid, so much that it looked almost painful, but he didn't appear to notice or care. Every fiber of his being was focused on the Android, his mind racing with mingled murderous thoughts and plans on how to destroy him.

'I have to help him!' Gohan thought, another wave of panic trembling over him, 'I have to do this!!'

"I'm thinking," Trunks announced, straightening up, his face setting into a cold expression that concealed the bulk of his burning resentment, and gave an intimidating show, "That you don't stand a chance, and I will kill you."

Cell sneered, eyes narrowing and gleaming of their own accord. "That's the spirit!" he hissed, and then his figure flashed and disappeared.

'No!'

Trunks barely had time to register where his opponent had gone before he sensed someone coming at him from above. He forgot to raise his arms, and instead, reacted naturally by looking sharply up, only to be met by a punch. Cell changed targets rapidly, and while the first fist hit his target in the jaw, he swung around his other fist in a crushing roundhouse... to the throat.

Trunks gave a short, guttural scream and crumpled, unable to counter right away. Below, the Z Fighters started, and caught themselves. A wave of hanging panic swept over them.

Blows to the throat could be a titchy injury among fighting. Depending on the strength of the defense, the strength, speed and aim of the offense, precisely where the hit struck and a few factors of luck, such a blow could be fatal, or it could be harmless. Cell had once withstood a kick to the neck from Vegeta, that had barely even bruised him. Trunks, however, seemed to be in far worse shape.

Cell was incredibly powerful, there was no doubt about that, and he had put quite a bit of force behind his attack. Had he crushed the trachea, or the windpipe? Or had he merely bruised it, still something enough to send a normal fighter stunned for a few moments. Trunks continued to cough, gasping for his breath, and crying out in pain with each breath. Below, the Z Fighters could only watch, unable to help.

Had the Android been fighting for the thrill of it, he might have lessened his assault on the young Sayain, and he certainly would wait until his opponent had recovered before resuming the attack. This time, however, he was starting to grow impatient. If he had to endure seven more shows such as this, it would be a great deal of time before he could find Comet. Time that she could possibly use to escape...

The seriousness of the situation dawned on him, and Cell realized he could only play around for so long if he wanted to find Comet. True, it could be worthwhile to invest his time in making sure to kill the Z Fighters, but wasting time to enjoy doing so would come around to him later on. He needed to finish them off.

'Starting with Trunks...' the ruthless warrior mused. Any trace of amusement left his face, which seemed to darken as he stared icily down at him. The Sayain seemed to be starting to recover, bit by bit. If he didn't hurry, Cell would lose his opportunity. Mildly disappointed his first attack hadn't hit the right spot to crush the windpipe, he extended an arm and an open fist to the trembling form slightly below.

Gohan's eyes widened in horror. He, too, knew his chance was slipping away. Cell would kill him! He had to transform, and now!

Desperately, he tried to imagine watching Trunks die before his eyes, as he stood, helpless. A wave of adrenaline shot through him, but he knew something was wrong. He wasn't feeling the rush of passion, of emotion. He couldn't picture it well enough, he wasn't feeling it well enough. But his nerves were affecting him. The young boy was absolutely terrified, and knew he had to do something. So he reacted with a desperation that mirrored his swirling anxiety.

"Stooop!" he wailed, taking to flight. Goku took a few steps forward, face contorted in shock. What was his son doing!? He wasn't a Super Sayain! Was he planning to take on Cell?

The Android both heard and saw the boy coming, but gave no heed. He hesitated, most of his attention focused on the crippled figure before him. There was a glint from his palm, and a brilliant golden glow began to grow. Gohan was forty feet away. Trunks was helpless. Now was his opportunity!

The demi-Sayain caught the sight of the monstrosity's looming attack, and felt another thrill of panic that inspired another sudden, desperate attempt. He stopped abruptly in mid flight and threw out his limbs, arms out and hands behind one another, legs spread. He raced to control himself.

"Ka...me...ha...me..."

Cell looked down at the familiar cry, an outright show of surprise on his face. What was this?

"HA!!!!!"

Surprisingly, Gohan had managed to charge up his attack. A gleaming golden ball of energy was dispelled from the young boy's cupped hands, which shot across the sky towards its target, strong and curving slightly as all Kamemeha waves did. Cell's attack had continued to build, but he realized what Gohan was doing a split second before. Abruptly, his pink eyes darted over, a snarl fixed on his face, a he quickly launched his attack...

... moments before Gohan's struck him.

Both attacks hit their marks at the exact same time. Gohan threw both arms up and fought to stay in the air as there was a powerful explosion of energy, and a roar of wind that swept over him and amongst those on the Lookout. Both Trunks and Cell were hidden by a thick veil of smoke, as the rumbling of the explosion continued to rocket around them for miles.

The demi-Sayain stared in fear at the smoke. He had hit Cell, but had he been too late? Where was Trunks? Was he all right?

"Gohan!"

Startled out of his terror-induced trance, the young boy looked quickly downward at the sound of his name. His father had been calling him, but it was Piccolo who yelled to him next.

"Get out of there!"

"But-"

A blinding flash of light interrupted his protests, and Gohan looked back in time as another wave of smoke and wind fell over him, blowing his hair back. He raised his arms defensively, bracing against it, trying to see what was going on. Only a blinding golden light and the smoke around him met his wondering eyes. And then, vaguely, the light dimmed, and he could see the dark shadow of a figure within.

And this figure was definitely not Trunks.

A wave of nausea swept over the young boy, as the smoke around him steadily cleared. All thoughts of his father and mentor below had vanished from his mind. He was overcome with a horrible, terrifying realization as he floated, alone, in the darkened sky.

Cell was alive. Trunks was nowhere to be found.

And he wasn't a Super Sayain.

All this and more became clear as the Android, surrounded by a blazing golden aura, slowly looked over at him, eyes gleaming furiously. He was not pleased about the sneak attack, and the snarl on his face proved it. However, as he gazed at Gohan, the furious look slowly changed into a broad, sadistic grin. His eyes glittered madly, and his face was twisted into a grotesque, grinning mask of death.

Switching sights, Cell turned towards Gohan and lowered his arms, which were tense and clenched in an attempt to adjust to the sudden jump in outward power and his slightly larger muscles, to fold them across his chest. He took a few breaths, and soon became adjusted to his mild change. It had been slightly difficult to absorb the boy's attack, but he had managed to get the brunt of it. He was a little damaged, but nothing serious that would hinder his fighting ability in the slightest.

"It's your turn, Gohan!" he announced, his voice louder than usual, allowing it to echo around them.

Gohan quickly drew his hands back in and clenched them in fists, looking around in a panic for Trunks. Where was he? He wasn't... dead.... was he?

Unfortunately, he didn't have time to dwell on the topic. Above, Cell's grin had faded. The Android bent smoothly in midair and came at him, wings extended slightly over his back, one arm braced in front of him. Gohan looked up at him, watching and attempting to suppress his fear as he watched the impending attack.

Deep within him, however, something stirred. An image of his father floated to his mind.

"I can't let Dad down," the young demi-Sayain whispered, "He won't always be there to save me. I need to save myself... for once..."

He didn't know if he could win this fight against Cell, but he had a new resolution. Even if he couldn't win, he would sure as anything try. At least he would go down fighting, and giving his best.

Cell approached more quickly than he anticipated, and only had time to duck as the Android aimed a kick for him. There was a rift as the young boy hovered, crouched, staring with wide eyes at the attack that sailed over his head. And then he was back up as Cell came forward with another attack. The Android wasn't going to just sit back and be discouraged that easily, however. Before Gohan could realize what had happened, a sharp blow hit the side of his head, and he was sent reeling.

Below, the Z Fighters jumped again. Yamcha had his jaw set, teeth bared. His fists were out in front of him, and every muscle in his body was contorted, and so tense he was trembling. Tien's eyes were wide, watching the fight as though fighting off a panic. Goku looked worried, but was concealing it well, and Piccolo was fixated with rapt attention.

Krillen tore his gaze from the fight, looking around for Trunks, anywhere. And then he spotted the figure lying, crumpled, on the tile below. With another look at Cell and Gohan to make sure they hadn't noticed, he slipped away from the group and hurried over to the form. As he approached, he caught the familiar shock of violet hair.

"Oh man..." he moaned, pausing beside the figure and kneeling slightly. It was Trunks' lifeless form, lying sprawled on the Lookout floor. His arm was bent at such an unnatural angle it had to only have been broken, and he was no longer a Super Sayain. He was covered in bruises and scrapes, a fresh cut on his forehead slowly bleeding, another gash on his leg glistening in the fading sunlight. A few places on his body were charred and burnt. He had been hit by Cell's attack.

Gingerly, the Earthling rested a few fingers against his fallen friend's throat and waited. And instantly he was struck with a trembling wave of relief. There, slow and shaking, but there nonetheless, was a heartbeat. Trunks was merely unconscious. Would Cell leave him alone, then, thinking him dead?

An explosion echoed above his head, and Krillen jerked his gaze up in time to see Cell deliver a smashing backhand that sent Gohan flying in the direction of the Z Fighters. "Oh no - Gohan!" he yelled out, frightened for his younger friend's life.

The demi-Sayain in question was trying desperately to recover, but his entire body stung and ached, and he was trembling so violently he couldn't move. His fight with Cell had been brief, but painful. The Android was even more powerful than he was letting on. He still had power hidden!

"I'm... sorry... Dad...." he whimpered, just before another dull blow came to his head. It was as if his head was plunged into a tank of water, as he felt moisture on his head and his lungs constricted, blackness starting to fall over him. But there were faces floating above him. Faces he could barely make out.

"Gohan! Gohan, hang in there..."

A small object was shoved into his mouth, and he felt a hand gently yet firmly grip is jaw and move it for him, chewing it up. A bland taste filled his mouth, and automatically, he swallowed.

"Hang in there, son..."

Goku cradled the young boy, shaken and yet relieved as he swallowed the Senzu bean. He hadn't been too late. It's effects would start in soon. Cell, however, was still a problem. He had seen Krillen discover Trunks, and now Gohan was in bad shape. There weren't many of them left, and the threat of Comet was still looming in the back of his mind.

The demi-Sayain in his arms gave a shuddering gasp, and his eyes flew open. Goku looked back down as Gohan panted for breath, and stared up at his father. Fear filled his face for a moment, but then it drained away, replaced by shame. He bowed his head slightly, hiding his face.

"I'm sorry, Dad... I tried... but I couldn't do it..."

"It's okay, Gohan," he murmured gently, pulling the boy up into his embrace. "It's all right. But Cell's still there. You need to fight him. We'll all fight him. We can all defeat him together."

"N-no we can't... he's too strong..."

Goku heard the familiar break in his voice, and sensed his son trying to fight back tears. "Keep your faith in me, Gohan," he whispered, "That's all I need to beat him."

There was a pause, and a shuddering breath from the young boy. Gohan pulled back slightly and glanced at Cell, his eyes slightly red, but he had fought back the tears. He swallowed and looked again at his father. But his eyes were different, now. He had regained his hope.

Slowly, the boy nodded. "Y-yes."

"Goku!" Piccolo's voice, seemingly miles away, roared, "Goku, look out!"

Both father and son looked up in surprise, staring straight into the brilliant golden ball of energy that leered at them, only feet away. Abruptly, Goku pulled his son behind his back. There was a yell, and another flash of light. Gohan's vision swam with gold, and then shadows shifted around in front of him. He could feel the power of the ki burning him, and he flinched away, but no more ever came.

When he looked up next, he saw his father standing before him, hair bleached golden, staring up at Cell. The attack was gone, having been deflected. Cell's expression didn't change. He had mildly hoped to catch the two off guard in their sentimental moment, but Piccolo was always alert.

"You can't have emotion on the battlefield, Goku," the Android announced coldly, "... it could kill you."

Goku paused, as if weighing his words, before responding in a clear, strong voice, "You're wrong, Cell. You can't win unless you have emotion."

"Prove it, then!"

In a flash, the green form was shooting towards them, ready for more. Goku backed up slightly, his feet leaving the ground to hover, and his form flickered and vanished before Cell struck. The Android didn't hesitate at all. He was almost in a battle frenzy, now. He kept going, ready to attack anything, and Piccolo happened to be the next closest person.

The two locked into combat almost immediately. Piccolo hadn't been expecting Cell to attack him, but he was ready for anything, and now he was forced into trying to defend himself from a powerful barrage of swift punches. Cell was only using his arms, but Piccolo was overwhelmed. His attack was direct, fast, and furious.

The Namek was struck a few times before he could pull away, but Yamcha was anxious and leapt into the fray next with a yell. Cell glanced in his direction just as he was struck with a few drunken punches, but he was ready for what came next. Yamcha backed up slightly and twisted his hips, landing a kick to Cell's chest. The Android threw himself onto the defense, and easily blocked the rest of Yamcha's attacks. His right arm came up to block a left punch, he raised both arms to counter a kick, backhanded away a few short jabs, caught his fist as it came sailing towards his temple.

"Kaa.. me... haaa... meee... HAAA!"

Both Tien and Goku's Kamehameha wave hit Cell at the same moment. The Android struggled momentarily, adjusting to two new onslaughts at once, but focused most of his energy on deflecting the Kamehameha wave. As he sent the blue beam spiraling off with a well-placed punch, he caught a glimpse of Goku hovering above, still in the pose. His eyes narrowed, but then Cell lost sight of him as Tien came forward with a few choice roundhouse punches.

The Android was now in a short-distance fight with both Yamcha and Tien, dodging or parrying their attacks. He didn't try to get any of his own in. He wasn't sure if he could, but instead would wait it out and see if he could get an opportunity. Steadily, the group began moving towards the palace on the Lookout, still locked in a blur of punches and kicks.

Shortly, though, Cell gained smooth control of the situation again. Both Tien and Yamcha were staggeringly slow compared to him. Smoothly and fluidly, he shot upwards, momentarily rising above the fight. The two came after him almost instantly, but he caught Yamcha with a sharp elbow, spun around and knocked Tien away with a graceful and powerful kick. The duo reeled, stunned.

It was then Cell caught a glimpse of a small figure running towards the palace, almost arriving at his destination. A moment later, he recognized it as Krillen. What was the Earthling doing? Where was he going?

A single thought registered in Cell's awareness. 'Comet.'

Goku, still floating above, noticed Cell's brief lapse in concentration. He had seen Krillen, and by the look on his face, he had also discerned what they were up to. A sense of panic flared within the Super Sayain, and he dropped and shot like a bullet towards his foe. Cell didn't notice in time as he was brutally body-slammed from the left, but he wasn't pleased. With a furious snarl, he shifted his concentration to the Sayain hero and began launching a steady flow of punches, which Goku either parried or dodged. Then he, too, threw in a few jabs and swipes of his own.

In a fight, there are two basic positions of offense and defense. Offense fighters are the ones attacking, the ones throwing all the hits. The defense is typically blocking or dodging, and usually cannot get in a hit of their own. They are trying to avoid the hits. Almost all of the time in a fight, one is on defense while the other is offense. The two switch back and forth. On a rare occasion, two fighters will both be on the same level. If both fighters are on defense, a battle typically doesn't go anywhere.

If both fighters are on offense, it's a dangerous game of chance that's fast-paced, brutal, and deadly. And it's nothing like you've ever seen before.

Both Cell and Goku were furiously launching punch after kick after roundhouse. Sideswipes, jabs, uppercuts and feints danced in the air between them, fueled by an invisible lighting that snarled and crackled around them. Their movements were impossible to trace, yet fluid and graceful, almost choreographed. It was a blazing show of strength, speed and quick-thinking. Cell struck at Goku's chest, feeling a solid punch at his arm. Halfway through, he broke off and threw a solid, heavy punch at Goku's shoulder. It hit home, but moments later an uppercut and a backhand met his jaw, and he used his momentum sideways to slice a kick at Goku's neck.

The chaos ensued, as Tien and Yamcha recovered. Piccolo and Gohan stood slightly nearby, watching in awe. The green and golden blurs danced around each other, moving so rapidly that even Piccolo didn't have the slightest idea of what was going on.

Gohan noticed something odd. He could only see vague outlines of when a blow would commence, but it wasn't until a few attacks later that he heard the heavy thud. Once, Goku landed, and took off again. When he was a good three feet above the ground, he heard the familiar sound of his father's boots landing. Confused, he looked at Piccolo for an explanation.

The Namek, for the first time in a long time, looked stunned. "They're moving faster than the speed of sound..."

Cell, however, had no intention of keeping this game up. His impatience to find Comet was building with each blow. Goku was distracting him terribly from his prize. He had to go find the short Earthling that had been sent off to warn her. He had to! Even at the cost of his pride!

"HAAH!" he roared, cupping both hands directly in front of his chest and quickly letting off a powerful explosion of ki. It was a dangerous and risky move, because he hadn't had time to build the ki up. Such an attack was like a grenade - he couldn't control it, and he didn't have time to get it away from him. Although he, too, felt the burn on his chest, it was just enough to distract Goku, and the Android whipped around and shot off towards the Lookout.

"No!" Goku shouted, taking off after him just as quickly.

Gohan looked around, startled, as Piccolo rapidly took off after them, and then he followed after his mentor. Tien and Yamcha also joined the chase. One goal had bonded each Z Fighter. Prevent Cell from reaching Comet.

Krillen rushed down the Lookout's hallway, his boots thudding in a fast beat to match the pounding in his chest. He had met Goku's silent gaze, saw him gesture back to the Lookout. What had the Sayain been trying to tell him? Confused, Krillen had looked over towards the Lookout, and then it hit him. The Hyperbolic Time Chamber! Comet! Even though Cell didn't know where she was, it would be better for her to at least know he was here so she could stay hidden. And with the Android distracted, he had the perfect opportunity.

He had the horrible, twisting feeling in his stomach that someone was following him, however, so the jittery human ran as fast as he could towards his destination, not trusting himself to fly lest Cell feel his hasty retreat. Unfortunately, Lady Luck had deserted him. There was a glint, and Cell suddenly appeared right in his path, arms folded, eyes glinting coldly.

"Going somewhere?"

Krillen froze and looked up at him in shock, but moments later Goku appeared over Krillen's shoulder and quickly threw a ki blast at the figure before them. Cell frowned, and then his green form flickered and disappeared.

"Krillen!" Goku shouted - the Earthling whipped around to look at his friend, who looked frighteningly angry, "Go!"

With a panicked whimper, the monk nodded and didn't waste time in continuing in his previous path. Cell reappeared off to the side, momentarily watching the human continue bolting down the corridor, but he didn't have much time to mull it over. Moments later, Piccolo joined the little group. Both the Namek and the Sayain quickly powered up attacks, and hurled them, overhand, at the Android. Cell flashed out of sight once again, and flashed back slightly further down the hall. Infuriated, the duo came after in hot pursuit.

Thus, a new game began. Krillen, having already been found, was flying along as fast as his ki could take him, just a foot off the ground, whipping around corners and narrowly dodging plants. Behind, Cell attempted to follow, fending off Piccolo and Goku. The Android wove in and out of pillars, avoiding ki blast after ki blast from his hunters. The Lookout around them trembled on its foundation with each blast, and a storm of marble dust would fill the air when a pillar was hit, or a chunk taken from a wall.

Cell ripped around another pillar, just to be confronted directly by Piccolo. The Android quickly lashed out with a direct punch to the chest, and Piccolo knew he wasn't strong enough to parry, leaving him with the only option of dodging. He did, however, refuse to get out of the way. Cell was quickly losing patience.

"Get out of my way!" he finally cried, unable to hide his frustration. He snapped around and finally managed to budge Piccolo with a sharp kick, and then continued on after the retreating form of Krillen, only to have his sight of the Earthling blocked by a sphere of golden light.

"Kaameeehaameeehaaa!!" a familiar voice cried. Cell gritted his teeth and threw up both arms, unable to dodge or deflect the attack at such close range and in such a short amount of time, and could only result to blocking as best he could. The attack hit him directly, but after struggling with the surprisingly powerful beam, he sent it dipping off sideways. There, hovering before him, hair blowing out in the aftershock, was young Gohan.

Cell clenched his jaw and bared his teeth in a grimace of fury, darting forward towards Gohan, but only to be knocked aside by Tien. The Android quickly changed targets and get this new nuisance out of his sight, when a stinging on his shoulder alerted him of yet another ki attack, and he easily deflected one shot at him, this time, by Yamcha.

The Android didn't have time to deal with all the Z Fighters - his veins were surging with a determination to hunt down Comet in her hiding spot. As the three closed in on him, he flew backwards where he knew Goku and Piccolo were, and quickly ducked down under the group and continued, narrowly avoiding an onslaught of ki beams that exploded beneath him, throwing plaster and dust into the air.

As he shot down the hallway, his enemies kept right on his heels, flying above, behind, or beside him, and throwing a ki blast whenever they could. Cell twisted and writhed in midair, using every ounce of his agility skills to avoid being knocked off course by these pestering Z Fighters. They were like mosquitos that buzzed around him, refusing to let him be! He would have been happy to take care of them or retaliate with some blasts of his own, but there were five of them and one of him, and - he hated to admit - he couldn't take them all on and attempt to find Comet, still in good health. He would have to wait.

Cell zipped sideways, using yet another pillar as cover as Tien launched a beam at him, and then was forced to put on a burst of speed as twin beams from both Gohan and Piccolo narrowly missed him. One shot from Yamcha brushed his leg, and he had to bat one from Goku out of the way as it got dangerously close to his face.

With a growl of frustration, he ducked left, right, up, down, dove and skimmed the floor and put on a fresh burst of speed, as blast after blast after blast narrowly skimmed his armor and collided with the plants, pillars, walls or statues around him. The hallway wasn't completely straight, either, and it took his every ounce of concentration to maneuver around while avoiding an onslaught of five all at once.

The Android rounded a corner and caught sight of something that filled him to the brim with such a sudden rush of sadistic confidence - Krillen. He was catching up! A new wave of determination and strength came to him, and Cell began to surge ahead of his pursuers, much to their horror.

"Krillen!" Yamcha finally yelled, desperately hurling more ki attacks at Cell and missing horribly, "Krillen, look out!!"

The Earthling above glanced over his shoulder to see the color guard coming towards him at a dizzying speed, and gave a yelp of terror. Cell's eyes were gleaming almost insanely, and his teeth were bared, completely intent on catching up. And catching up he was. Five minutes, and he would be upon him!

Five minutes, Goku noticed with a thrill of horror, and they would be at the Hyperbolic Time Chamber.

They had run out of options. Goku flashed in front of Cell and spun around, knocking the Android sideways into a column of pillars. A cloud of dust erupted into the air, but moments later an inhuman roar came forth, and in a blinding flash of power, Cell was back out and again charging down the hallway. Desperate and fearful, his escorts followed.

Krillen had gotten maybe a twenty-foot gain, thanks to Goku. Up ahead, he could see the doors outlining the chamber. Bulma, fortunately, had gone. Vegeta nor Popo were nowhere to be seen. The place was deserted. But with Cell on his tail, he couldn't get in and tell Comet! Agh, now what was he supposed to do?!

Krillen didn't have time to think. He paused and turned around just in time to see Cell whip around the corner and blast towards him. The monk knew he had to do something. No one else was in position to.

Taking a deep breath, the Earthling raised his hands to his face and cinched his eyes tight. "Solar Flare!" he cried, quickly gathering his ki into a tiny ball in the center of his being, and then rapidly expelling it outwards. The result resembled a flash of light that, when enough ki was used, could be as strong as sunlight. Through his closed eyelids, he saw the flash, and heard Cell's pained roar.

He tore his eyes open to see Cell come skidding to a halt, hands at his eyes, rubbing and blinking and wincing and snarling at the same time. The others, unfortunately, were also hit by the side effects. Krillen was just about to take his chance and duck into the Hyperbolic Time Chamber, when Cell did the unthinkable. He charged up a small ki blast and shot it directly at Krillen!

Not expecting Cell to have any kind of aim in this state, the Earthling was caught completely off guard and knocked back. How had Cell managed to hit him? He was temporarily blinded!

"Don't think I still can't sense you, Krillen!" the Android growled. Krillen looked up to see him sweeping his head back and forth, as if searching. "You won't get away so quickly!"

The sound of Cell's voice was all Goku needed. He threw back his hands, quickly prayed no one was in the way, and began charging. "Kaaa...meee...haaa..."

Gohan heard his father and knew that, if he didn't do something, Comet would be in huge trouble. So the young demi-Sayain began an echo. "Ka...me... ha... me..."

Slowly, the group began to come out of it. Faint shapes and blurs were becoming visible, and just in time as the father and son duo unleashed two Kamehameha waves. "HAAAAA!!!"

There was a deafening roar, and then a powerful explosion. Krillen shielded his eyes against the blast, which was almost as bright as his Solar Flare. Yamcha, Tien and Piccolo backed away, also throwing their arms up defensively. Shortly after the explosion, the air was filled with a thick cloud of dust and plaster. The Z Fighters looked around quickly, trying to figure out where Cell had gone, looking for his shadow.

Slowly, the smoke cleared. Krillen lowered his arms to gaze fearfully at the group. Piccolo, Tien and Yamcha all looked at each other, sharing an almost puzzled glance, and then heard Gohan.

"D-dad?"

All eyes drifted to the young boy, who was staring in fear at his father. And then, each gaze traveled to the Sayain hero. Goku was staring at something, his eyes wide, entire body trembling. It was the first time anyone had seen true fear in the Super Sayain's eyes. He suddenly looked as mortal and defenseless as any of them. But what was he looking at?

Not at Cell. Cell was nowhere to be seen. Goku was staring at the door to the Hyperbolic Time Chamber. It was in ruins.

---`---,---@

Comet heard the dull explosion, and then the roaring echo of it above her head. At the moment, the Earthling was upside down, facing the floor in a sort of handstand combination push-up. She blinked, puzzled. 'What was that?'

Slowly, she lowered herself back to her feet and sat upright, frowning in the direction of the sound. It sounded almost like it came from outside the door, back in the other dimension. And then she caught sight of the figure standing in front of the door, and felt her blood run cold.

There, standing in the doorway to the Chamber and staring directly at her, was Cell.

---`---,---@

BAM! It took long enough!!