Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Dance With Death ❯ Ensnarement ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I don't own DragonBallZ or any of its characters, I just own Comet.

"Dance With Death"
by A.C

Chapter Fourteen
Ensnarement

---`---,---@

Slowly, Comet climbed to her feet. Her head was whirling, eyes struggling to focus, for her gaze was fighting to merely blur and let it all swim away. She threw off the desire to let it all go black and focused on the white face as her breathing ran jagged and shallow. Realizing how dry her mouth had gotten, she licked her lips and took another breath.

Her eyes shone dully, fixated in fear and amazement and unconsciously taking in the handsome face that already haunted her memory. Framed by a strip of yellow that resembled the strap beneath a helmet, outlining two thick purple stripes that drew the attention to his sharp pink eyes. He looked out at her from beneath the cleft of the peculiar headpiece, ridges serving as eyebrows, twin edges curving sharply upwards and bringing to the eye to the glossy black dome within.

Her mind was ringing with questions, but they were muffled. Instead, her being was focused on her breathing. Subconsciously, a small voice was instructing her; "Breathe in... breathe out..." She was distinctly aware of how long she held each breath, before slowly contorting her lungs and letting it escape slowly, fluidly. She would pause, basking in the feel of the empty, inner pressure that ached for oxygen, and slowly, unhurriedly, allowing her chest to expand and lungs to fill again with air. The process would repeat itself, but not out of habit. As was moving her arms or legs, she was fully in control of the sensation of breathing. If she chose, she could expel it all and not refill and watch her world fall away into black before her.

Silence trickled across her arms, strangely resonant in her ears. She couldn't decipher where the loud roaring was emancipating from, but because she couldn't immediately register it, her mind dismissed it. Her senses felt dull, blurred, as if caught in a web of sleep-heavy dreams.

There was movement, and a sharp "KT-CHT" pervaded the silence, piercing through the roaring that had previously occupied her ears. It struck her almost physically, as if painful, and her head throbbed as her mind registered the step forward Cell had taken. He was moving towards her. Almost dream-like, she let her gaze travel to his eyes and felt them lock there. A thrill of terror erupted in her chest, and her breath hitched. As she stared into his eyes, unable to tear herself away, she suddenly felt more afraid of him than she had ever felt before.

Her concentration broke away from her breathing pattern to her deeper emotions, and to the eyes of the being halfway across the room, still watching her as intently as she him. Slowly, she became aware of a number of feelings and questions burning in those magenta orbs. She knew they were there, but she had yet to break the code and realize what exactly they were. They were familiar, and she could feel them tugging at her heart, but her mind brought no recognition...

"So this is where you've been hiding."

With another painful throb, she was thrown back into the cold, harsh world of reality. The dreamlike terror she had felt by merely meeting his gaze seemed to lessen, resuming its pattern of the knowledge she should be afraid of him. It was this knowledge alone that awakened any level of fear in her, but it wasn't an emotional thrill like before. Her breathing leapt back to its habitual pattern of regularity, and the tremors she seemed to be picking up from his gaze vanished. All she felt was his cold stare on her, heard the soft, yet slightly accusing lilt in his voice.

She could think of no response to his statement and continued to stare at him, now painfully aware of what her body was doing and what was going on around her, but not to the dreamlike degree of previous. Her legs were taut and ready to run, and beginning to ache mildly because of her stiff posture. Her hands had clenched into fists, but she allowed them to relax, and took note of her own facial expression before focusing it into a relaxed, equally cool stare.

Not at all unnerved by her lack of response, he moved forward again, shattering the still white walls around them with the sound. Briefly, she wondered if he would close the entire distance between them and walk to her, or if he'd maintain his distance. She couldn't see an exact point either way. Why was he here in the first place? Certainly he didn't need or particularly want to train...

Her mind had been slowly returning to reality, and his reason fell into place quite suddenly before her eyes. Of course. He came for her. Only this time, she knew she couldn't run. There was nowhere to run to. There, in a room without walls or ends, that was said to stretch on forever in an endless run of space, she felt truly trapped for the first time in her life. With ease, she suppressed the fight or flight syndrome, knowing perfectly well it would only lead to difficulty.

"What's the matter, Comet? I thought you'd have some comment for me." His voice came yet again, but the curious thing was that she was struck by the tone. He always seemed to have some manner of amusement in his felicitous voice, mockery or not. He spoke this time with mockery, obviously, but it retained such a bitter edge that for a brief instant, she was hurt. Why did he sound so upset? Was he actually angry with her?

The thought that he, the Android who had been stalking her for the good portion of two weeks now, could possibly find a reason to be angry at HER, filled her with her own rage. How dare he! How dare this obsessive Android come in there of his own accord merely to scold, or even make her feel guilty - for absolutely no reason!

She felt her eyes narrow, gaze run cold. "You want a comment? Fine. Get out."

A leer twisted his lips, and again she saw the cruelty founding it. His grin would have been broad and almost the true emotion it ought to have been, had it not been for the dangerous glint in his eyes. "In due time, my dear. But why so cold?"

"What is with you?" she demanded, tensing her muscles to keep her hands from balling subconsciously into fists. "Why are you pretending everything's fine and that I'll go along with your sick little game?"

Perhaps she ought to have chosen her words a little more carefully. The glint in his eyes flashed more darkly now, and she clearly saw the shadow overcome his face as she finished her sentence. "A game?" he breathed, the dangerous edge of his voice chilling her, "This stopped being a game a long time ago..."

"Is that what you think?" she retorted, fighting the urge to sneer at him. Another part of her was horrified by the thought it might resemble his previous leer. "I'm surprised I haven't tried to kill you by now."

A heavy silence fell over the two of them at this last remark. The two met each other's gaze and stared, buried horror reflected in both. Comet could see plainly that Cell was abashed. He had really thought he wouldn't be met by such an aggressive feeling? He must have known. How could he not? He couldn't possibly expect her not to feel some degree of hatred towards him. She hated him, this was plain enough! And yet, she was feeling shock that her own lips had formed the words...

Had she really meant it? Would her insides be writhing so furiously if she did? What did the sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach mean? Why was she suddenly wishing she could have swallowed her previous statement?

Momentarily, her eyes stung when she saw the hurt look flash across his face. The pain, he smothered well; the look of surprise he did not. Before she could stop herself, she was vocalizing more words.

"I'm sorry-"

A hand clamped over her mouth, and took a moment for her mind to recognize that it was her own hand. What had she just said? Had she really just apologized? Apologized, to this man-slaughtering Android whom was lusting after her?! Now frightened more by her own words than Cell himself, she looked up though wide green eyes to his pink ones, terrified to see how he would react.

The way he was looking at her was more intense than he had before, the surprise a different kind. She sensed a faint sense of disbelief, as if he was waiting for her to dismiss the apology as if she hadn't meant it. Although she regretted throwing those words into the air, she regretted her previous statement even more. If only she could have erased both! And slowly, realization glinted deep in his eyes, as he saw she actually meant the apology... or did she...?

The silence was spurred by something different now. Confusion. Comet was feeling a nauseating wave of puzzlement over her own feelings. Why did she feel guilt? Why had she suggested killing him? Why had she said that?? Were these more of his games, his tricks?

Cell, too, was confused. She had apologized? Did she mean it? He honestly didn't know. She hadn't taken it back, and yet the look of horror that came into her eyes when she said it. What about her previous statement? Even as he thought about it, he felt a stinging pain somewhere near his well of souls, and felt even more confusion. Why did that statement make him feel in such a peculiar manner? People had threatened to kill him or voiced a desire to countless times before. And surely, he must have known Comet felt the same way. So why was he surprised when she actually said so? And why was he even more bewildered when she took it back?

'Curse these human emotions... they've caused me enough grief already... but I must know...'

"KT-CHT, KT-CHT..."

She didn't appear startled when he began walking, in slow, steady steps, towards her. She merely watched the approach, feeling a mild sense of wonder at what he was going to do. His face and eyes seemed blank now. He descended the pale stairs, and now stood on the same white floor she did. Gradually, he began to draw closer. And she still didn't move.

He had reached her now. Still studying her face with that curiously solemn expression, he reached out and rested two cool fingers beneath her chin, tilting her face up and meeting her eyes immediately. She looked back, just as blankly, considering what it could possibly be that he was thinking...

After a pause, he drew his hand away, turned and walked away. Bewildered, she looked after him, as he strode to a distance about twenty feet away and paused, bowing his head and folding his arms. She recognized his posture of meditation, and silently screamed at him in her mind.

'What am I to you? Just your puppet? Your little play-thing!? I'm an object you've already claimed, an object that doesn't WANT to be claimed! You don't care - stop pretending that you might - and leave me alone already!!'

Her face remained stoic, her internal voice screaming in its rant, hiding her anger well. And then, soothingly, another thought drifted into her conscience.

'Maybe... maybe he does... Otherwise he would have tried to kiss me. He wouldn't look so surprised, or get angry. This... would never have happened. Is it possible for him to... truly... love...?'

---`---,---@

Hours - or minutes, in this endless continuum Comet never really knew - passed. Comet had kept a watchful eye on Cell for any suspicious activity, staying alert so as to keep him at bay. Her Android companion never stirred, however, remaining only in his completely still position. After about thirty minutes of standing and watching him in his trance, she decided perhaps he really was meditating. And so, she resumed her training.

After a little while of shadow boxing through the air above him, she found it difficult to concentrate. After a few swipes, she would pause and hover to gaze down at him, her thoughts and focus wandering freely. What was he meditating so deeply about? Would he wake up? And had he really changed...?

That last thought would slap abruptly back into reality. She was frightened to explore that area of his emotion. She didn't want to ponder on the thought of it being possible for this created killing machine to fall in love and be tamed...

And again, she would launch into another furious bout with an invisible foe, until she caught sight of his form, and would break off with more thoughts and questions. Soon, she realized she was getting nowhere fast. So, mildly frustrated, she floated back to land. The Earthling reached back to pull her hair out of its loose ponytail and, resting a hand on her hip, frowned at the silent Android.

Then the thought struck her, in a shimmering wave of deja vu that filled her with an uneasy feeling. This had happened before - she had FELT this scenario. She clearly remembered the feeling of exasperation as she gazed at his unmoving form, trapped... in his arena... That was it. Her hand slowly lowered as her face melted with recognition. The nightmare was repeating. She was back at his arena!

... No... no, this wasn't the square of marble set in the middle of the countryside. This was the Time Chamber on Kami's Lookout. This was in a room - or a dimension, whichever - in which she had been in before. She was familiar with it. The difference between her previous situation and that of her current one came to her. This was her territory this time. This was new and unfamiliar to the Android, while she felt relatively comfortable in these surroundings.

Or, she did. Until he came in.

'So why don't you leave?' a painfully obvious question prickled at the back of her mind. Not wanting to try and reason with herself, knowing she would end up in an emotionally exhausting circle of confusion that could possibly end her up in a state like Cell's, Comet turned and strode across the room towards the Chamber's door. She reached out and rested a hand on the knob and had just tensed the muscle to turn it -

"Don't."

Her hand leapt nimbly away from the door as if it had burst into flame. Momentarily startled, she looked over her shoulder, long hair swinging around her. Cell had snapped awake and was gazing at her somberly, pink eyes dull. His arms were still folded, and he had only twisted towards her slightly. He didn't look alarmed, but she caught the note of severity in his command. Silently, she demanded an explanation. He smoothly provided one.

"The door won't work. The pathway between it and the world you know has been severed. While the door on this side appears unharmed, on the opposite end it is in ruins. The bond has not been completely broken, but this creates an even more dangerous scenario. This end is still in link. That end is not. There is no balance, which could cause a chaotic storm."

She was prepared to accept his word, for the sole reason other than he had no reason to lie. Had he lied to her before? She briefly thought back. Nothing drastic struck out at her. True, he had been quite close to violating her, had kidnaped her, and almost killed several of her friends, but he hadn't lied. A trifle in comparison to his other sins, but, still.

She lowered her hand and turned fully towards him. "What do you mean, the other door's gone?"

"I fought with several of your fellow Z Senshi," he explained quite calmly, "Before I found my way here. In doing so, I upset several of them, of course. They attempted to stop me, as foolish an idea as it is. I can assume why...." The ghost of a smirk flitted across his features, but it was self-mocking, and he retained it bitterly. "In doing so, I evaded their attacks, but it seems those attacks decimated the very door through which I slipped - a door that led me here. I've been probing what my genes know of this place, and it seems that for a smooth transition between dimensions, both doorways must be fully intact. When both doorways are destroyed, there is peace, but both dimensions are completely broken apart and can no longer be switched between. When only one portal has been taken out, however, the balance shifts and causes a rift in time, which can be very dangerous. That rift exists, I believe, just beyond that door you're standing in front of."

Comet was silent, letting this little speech sink into her. And then the true depth of his words hit her, like a punch to the gut. She started, and her eyes widened. "You mean there's no getting back?"

He looked solemnly back, appearing undisturbed by the thought. "Until I can think of one - no."

"No!" Comet echoed, whipping around to stare at the doorway. "No! There has to be - has to be a way... It's not possible!" She half expected a reply from Cell. When none came, she turned again to stare accusingly at him. "It's impossible! It can't be!"

He gazed back, keeping his silence. She waited impatiently, wondering what it was that allowed him to keep such a calm expression on his face. And then she remembered that these odds would be in his favor. He would ENJOY this opportunity that had just stepped forward. They were stuck. She was stuck with him. Trapped. They were trapped, together.

"You!" she fumed, channeling her anger into something material, "You did this! You bloody planned this! You bastard - how could you?! You KNEW this would happen, you WAITED for the right moment-"

"Hn," Cell interrupted calmly, bitterness dripping from his tone, "How peculiar. One moment you're apologizing to me, the next you're cursing at me-"

"Don't you DARE bring that up!" she snarled back, "Stick to the situation at hand! You purposely waited for them to attack you - made their attacks hit that doorway-"

"An opportunity presented itself and I took it," he retorted, a few notes of anger entering his voice as he lost his grip on his cool facade, "You're lucky to find yourself in such a situ-"

"Lucky?!" she shrieked, her voice vibrating with a few unnaturally high pitches before returning to the normally fiery, biting tone she took when angry, "I wouldn't call being stuck with YOU luck! I can't believe you'd stoop so low-"

"Is it my fault your friends attack blindly and without thought?" he sneered, unfolding his arms, "Had they been able to AIM-"

"Don't fucking shift the blame, here," she growled, "You did this on purpose-"

"I'd watch that tone of your's, before it gets out of hand-"

"Things have YET to get out of hand, and when they do-"

Her words were pressed from her throat along with her last breath of air, and a split second later her back slammed into the wall behind her. As a throbbing pain exploded in the back of her head, she looked up beneath the fringe of her bangs to meet Cell's cool magenta stare. She choked as he pressed, the arm resting across her throat increasing its pressure. Her feet were still resting on the floor, but she found she couldn't move her muscles. Her leg muscles weren't responding, and she realized that he was using his body to pin her arms behind her back.

"What?" he murmured in a dangerously low tone, leaning closer and staring directly into her eyes, "What will happen when things get out of hand, hmm? Will something like this happen, do you think? Will you find yourself unable to speak... at the mercy of whom you hate MOST?" His breath ended in a hiss, which she felt as a cool, odorless breeze on her face. She narrowed her eyes to stare icily back, willing her body not to panic and to stay still, despite the protesting ache of her lungs.

He raised a hand to run it through her hair, loosening a few curled stands to dangle in her face. She felt her legs begin to tremble; her attempts to stay still fruitless. Her body was taut and tense, but it wasn't able to stay that way for long. Her legs had given way already and were shaking, the muscles unable to stay flexed.

His hand lowered, the nails lightly scraping across her cheek, sending chills down her spine. Slowly, her body was going limp, staying up only because of the pressure he was applying across her neck. Briefly, she wondered if he would ever let go, or if he really planned, after all the grief he'd caused her, to just let her stand there and suffocate.

"Worried, Comet?" he breathed, his lips only centimeters away from her's. His eyes raised to meet her's again, clouded by a frighteningly dark feeling. Again, a mild spasm of fear shot through her, following the same path as the chills he induced previously. "You needn't be. I'm not going to kill you. You should know that by now."

Shadows were beginning to dance along the edges of her vision, dark and sharp, jittering back and forth. Aside from the borders of unconscious that were beginning to creep in, all that she could focus on were his eyes. And as she stared, she felt the steely glare of her eyes softening, and found herself snared - entranced. A soothing feeling came over her, dulling the throbs of her lungs and the prickling on her legs. Another dream-like peace came over her as she stared into those eyes. Suddenly, everything was all right. Everything was fine.

And then reality flowed back in a rush of oxygen into her lungs, and she gasped, almost choking. She exhaled quickly and sucked in another breath of air, her lungs and chest stinging as the oxygen steadily replenished itself in her bloodstream. Her limbs regained their strength, the prickling left her legs. She was filled with a panic, and looked up into his eyes again, desperately searching for the comforting spell from before. He gazed calmly back, resting his hand against her jawbone. But she wasn't pitched back into a peaceful trance of serenity.

Disappointed, she looked down, away from his eyes. As she did so, she heard him lightly clicking his tongue. Her eyes darted back up again, narrowing slightly in confusion.

"Meek again?" he questioned, mildly sardonic. "A pity. I only got a taste of your fire."

She said nothing. Inwardly, she felt like crying. The warm, soothing calm had left her with a wonderful feeling she hadn't felt in years. A surreal happiness that nothing could touch. But just as quickly, the dream had been ripped away from her, and now she felt cheated. If only she could have brought it back...

Outwardly, she pushed away the arm resting against the wall just above her shoulder and turned to stalk away. A hand clapped down on her shoulder before she could take another step, however, causing her to freeze. A moment's hesitation, and she glanced back to meet his gaze once more.

".... Comet," he began. Instantly, he had her attention. For in that one word, she caught that note of desperation and pain she had rarely heard from him. But she had heard it, and now she was curious. What was it that caused this unique breed of emotions within him? She waited, listening, studying him carefully with her lush eyes, but he said nothing. After a moment's hesitation, he released her shoulder. For a second, she didn't move. Was that all?

'Yes', she realized, and walked away. Behind her, Cell didn't move. Both fighters were caught up in a whirlwind of puzzlement, rewinding the past few minutes and hunting to find the answer to a peculiar question that had just hit them both. It was a question they were unfamiliar to, for in all previous battles the answer came clearly without the question ever having to be asked. This time, however, the solution was cloudy. Who had won? In truth, neither would realize the answer easily.

For two fighters to realize that it was possible to have no winner.... was a new and disturbing feeling.

---`---,---@

"What do you mean, you can't fix it? C'mon, Mr. Popo, there has to be something you can do!!"

There was quiet, as Mr. Popo only looked sadly back at Goku's frightened features. "I-I'm sorry, I don't know..."

The other Z Fighters hung back, unsure of what to do. As soon as they all saw what Goku had been staring at, the hopelessness of their situation hit them. Cell must have made it inside the Chamber, and with the doorway destroyed... the duo was trapped within. Each and every one of them blanched at the thought.

"Even if the doorway itself was fixed, the link between it and the dimension in which the Chamber resides would be not!" explained Popo, sounding distraught, "They're stuck in there... f-f-"

"Forever," Goku finished quietly, lowering his arms. Behind him, Piccolo took a couple steps forward. The Sayain hero felt his friend's presence behind him and remarked; "Cell's gotten his wish. Comet's his - forever."

"There must be a way to re-establish a link between their dimension and our's," Piccolo muttered, folding his arms. "Whether we use the doorway or not. It happened before, didn't it?"

"That link was there even before Kami was a guardian," Popo responded, his voice shaking somewhat, "We don't know how it came about-"

"But the other Guardians must," Piccolo broke in smoothly. A hesitant silence followed this observation. Goku stepped back and looked at the Namek, a light frown creasing his face. Behind Piccolo, the other Z Fighters were listening quietly, unsure looks on their faces. Only Trunks and Vegeta were absent.

"And isn't there a place to contact them, here on the Lookout?" the Namek continued, glancing at Popo with his dark eyes.

The usually jovial little man was quiet, looking back in wonder. "W-well... there is. A graveyard, at the very bottom of the Lookout - I've been there with Kami - their spirits still r-reside there, but it's dangerous..."

"But they'll know," Goku spoke up, catching onto Piccolo's plan. "And it's our only chance."

"I'll go," the Namek volunteered, calmly looking back at Goku. "Kami's influence might help."

"Um.. Dad?"

Everyone glanced down as Gohan stepped forward, peering meekly out beneath the fringe of his dark hair. "Can I go with Piccolo? I want to help get Comet out."

There was a short silence, and then the Sayain hero knelt and ruffled his son's hair. "Are you sure, Gohan?" Instantly, the young demi-Sayain nodded. "Very well, go on with Piccolo. Krillen, why don't you go with them?"

"Huh? Oh, okay," Krillen answered. Goku stood back up and looked at Tien and Yamcha.

"Trunks is still out there - we need to go get him. You three go to the Lookout's graveyard," he instructed, looking back at Piccolo, Gohan and Krillen, "And we'll stay here and help Trunks."

"Popo, do you know where to go?" Piccolo grunted, glancing at the smaller man. He nodded and pointed behind him to a small doorway that, inevitably, led to another hallway. "Fine, lead the way."

"We'll be back soon, Dad!" Gohan called as he and Krillen, following the Namek warrior, disappeared through the doorway. There was a short pause, and then Goku turned and strode out of the area, heading back towards the front walkway where the battle had taken place. Yamcha followed, but Tien hesitated, his eyes darting back over to the ruins of the Time Chamber's door. What was going on in there? He could hardly imagine it, but what he could imagine horrified him.

"We'll get you out, Comet," he muttered, walking down the hallway after the retreating forms of Yamcha and Goku.

---`---,---@