Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Dragonball Reincarnation ❯ At the Last Minute ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Chapter 9 At the Last Minute

1 month remaining

The prophesy's dead line was drawing ever closer and the teens were training their hardest. They had all reached new plateaus of power they could never have imagined, but they couldn't help feeling they still weren't strong enough.

While the others trained Hope and Vegeta put their skills to good use. Hope was monitoring the galaxy with her newly accquired telepathic abilities, while Vegeta worked on a new machine that would monitor any abnormal patterns in the Universe's fabric. Hope had as of yet not detected any mishaps in their galaxy and Vegeta's machine was still under construction so the evil had yet to be seen and this made them all nervous.

They all wanted to know what they were up against, but it was impossible tell. The prophesy was far to vague to tell. The frustration of not knowing was building and there was very little the masters could do to calm them. They had told every story about their ancestors that they knew and it motivated them, but they were worried it also might have pushed them over the brink of motivation to obsession.

Each of them dealt with their frustration differently. Whether in meditation or sparring their training did not suffer, but emotions were running rampant and the masters feared they were losing ground. It had taken them two years to build up the concept of team work and now it was falling apart. Arguments broke out daily, usually about nothing. Most of the bitter feelings would fizzle and disappear by night fall, but the old rivalry between Iselina and Goku only seemed to get worse with each passing day.

Hope sat in deep meditation on the first floor of the temple. Across the room Vegeta was banging on something attached to his machine. Hope could barely concentrate on her telepathy with all the racket he was making. His thoughts flowed through her mind like a rapids in a river.

Hope realized that all the time she had spent with Vegeta made it all the easier for her to read his mind. The two of them had become closer in the last two years. They still argued around the others, but since they had been working together to track their unseen enemy they had become friends. They found comfort with each other because neither of them had alot of special abilities. Hope opened one eye to see Vegeta crawling around searching for something. "It's behind the tool box." She said smiling mischieviously at him. He glanced at her and then reached behind the tool box. He smirked and pulled out the elusive screw driver.

He shook his head at her. "You know sometimes I wish you would ask before you go reading my mind."

"What? Scared I'll find out something I'm not supposed to know?" She grinned at him.

Vegeta blushed and was about to retort when Goku came down the stairs. "Hey aren't you two supposed to be doing something?" He asked slyly.

"Aren't you supposed to be somewhere yourself?" Hope threw back.

Goku laughed and matted her hair, "Yeah getting my butt handed to me by Sai and the girls."

"Another group beating, huh?" Vegeta asked absently as he turned back to the machine.

"You know what Koran says the only way to win is with team work!" Goku said with mock enthusiasm as he backed out the door. "Later guys!" He said as he turned around only to run into Lily. "Oh hey, Lily!" He caught her arms as she stepped off balance.

"Thank you." She whispered blushing, her midnight blue locks falling past her face.

"Sorry bout that, you ready for practice?" He asked nicely. A few feet away Iselina watched the exchange, her temper rising with every second he spent talking to her. Iselina took the intiative and walked briskly past them purposely bumping into Goku causing him to stumble away from Lily. She didn't apologive she just kept walking. "Hey!" He called to her agitatedly. She just continued to walk away haughtily her golden hair swinging across her back her chin held high. "Jeez!" He hissed as Meylei and Sai appeared on the scene.

"You can't win with her can you?" Sai observed.

Meylei snorted. "Are you kidding? Goku's never going to win with her." Meylei crossed her arms.

"Why would I want to?" Goku groaned. They began to walk off towards the clearing for practice.

"She's not so bad, once you get to know her." Meylei added.

"I'm sure!" Goku said rolling his eyes. "I wish I knew what I ever did to her. Did I wrong her in a past life or something?"

Sai laughed, "If you don't know it's not my job to tell you!" He patted Goku on the shoulder and Goku just shook his head confusedly.

Iselina hopped up the rocks leading to the overhang. Her anger was still simmering and she needed to calm down. A large bird circled her and called out in a shrill voice. "Cut it out Long!" She called out knowing full well the bird was none other than Long in one of his many forms.

"Alright! You want a lift, Iselina?" He called out hovering above her.

"Sure." She nodded smiling. Iselina grabbed on to his talons as he lifted her up onto the overhang. There was Shen and Renatus deep in meditation.

"Good day Iselina." Renatus answered in a calm voice.

Iselina smiled. "I thought you were meditating?" She questioned taking a seat next to him.

"A good warrior is aware even when in meditation." Renatus replied evenly.

"Yes oh mighty one!" Iselina joked bowing her head in mock worship. Renatus opened his eyes and smiled Shen opened his eyes as well and listened closely to the teens' conversation.

"So how are things with Goku?" Renatus asked.

"Not so good." She replied sadly. She pulled her knees up to rest her chin on them. "I think he likes Lily." Iselina would never admit it to herself, but she liked Goku...alot.

"Why would you think that?" Renatus asked raising an eyebrow.

"I saw them together!" Iselina moaned.

Renatus shook his head. "You're over exaggerating I can tell."

"Ok maybe I am, but still he's never going to like me."

"Only because you treat him like dirt!" Renatus shouted.

"Well, I don't want him to know....how I feel... is all." She said with withering pride.

Renatus laughed. "He won't know until you show him, and you won't know how he feels until then either."

"Thank you Dr. Love!" Iselina smiled mockingly.

Renatus shook his finger at her. "Hey I may be younger than you, but I will be Kami one day, so watch it!" She laughed whole heartedly and look down to see Shen at her feet.

"He likes you Iselina I can tell." Shen whispered.

"Thanks squirt." Iselina smiled half heartedly at Shen. Shen and Long had become everyone's little brothers in the past two years. They were the youngest and they were orphans, plus they were too adorable to resist.

Iselina sat in deep thought for a few moments about what Renatus had said. Slowly an idea began to form in her head. She knew how to find out Goku's true feelings without killing her own pride. Renatus watched as the mischievious grin grew on her face.

"Renatus, I think you maybe right." She said distractedly getting up and hurrying down the mountain. Shen and Renatus looked at one another and shrugged.

In no time Iselina arrived back at the temple. She watched Goku and Sai take on Meylei and Lily in a sparring match. When they finished she sauntered over to Sai. "Wow Sai!" She mused standing timidly in front of him like a shy little girl. "I never realized how strong you are." She mused running her hand over his arm. Sai blushed and tried to act cool. The girls looked at Iselina as if she had grown another head and Goku clenched his fists as he watched the exchange. As much as he hated to admit it, he hated the way Iselina was paying attention to Sai and not him. She hadn't even glared at him.

"Come train with me." Iselina cooed grabbing Sai's arm and dragging him away. Sai looked back at the others and shrugged. He followed her without question a smug grin plastered on his face. Goku was starting to turn red, yet somehow he managed to hide it.

"What do you make of that?" Meylei asked. Without another word Goku left them, heading off to the temple by himself as his blood boiled on the inside.

Koran and Roshi shook their heads at one another on the balcony. "We only have one month left we can't afford a team break down now!" Koran growled.

"I know old friend. But what can we do to sooth this ruptured volcanoe?" Roshi replied.

"Nothing." Koran whispered. He heard foot steps coming up the stairs and turned to see Goku storm down the hall and slam the door to the bedroom. "Nothing."