Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ For the Love of a Child ❯ Chapter 8 ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

"For the Love of a Child"

Disclaimers: Haven't done these for awhile. I do not own Dragon Ball Z, the credit goes entirely to Toriyama...a man of great genius. I alas, am just borrowing his characters for the afternoon.

*Chapter 8*

"Come on Gohan, just stay for lunch. It won't take you that long to fly home and it will be one less meal for you to cook."

I stood in the living room with my arms folded but didn't say anything. Feeling a tug on my pants leg I looked down and found Goten staring up at me, giving me his best puppy dog eyes.

"Please daddy? I'll pine if we don't. See my lips?" He was puckering his lips and doing his best attempt at quivering them.

"Real cute, kid." But I couldn't help smiling down at him. "Fine, we can stay but only until after lunch, then we're out of here. You have school tomorrow."

He grinned and threw his arms around me and I felt my throat tighten. It takes so little to make him happy, how could I not try to grant his simple wishes? It's not as if he's asking for the world, though I'd try to grant him that as well, if I could.

"Thank you Gohan." I stiffened as Bulma walked over and gave me a quick hug. Pulling back, she gently thumped me on the arm. I looked at her in surprise.

"Don't be so mean." She laughed. Before I had a chance to respond, the doorbell rang and Goten took off.

"I'll get it!"

Bulma followed Goten and I headed toward the kitchen. I'd reached the doorway when I heard Goten cry, "I know you!"

Curious I turned back to look and saw that girl from the jewelry store robbery. Hercule Satan's daughter. I narrowed my eyes and walked over toward them, how could Goten know her?

"Hello again Goten." She ruffled his hair and I repressed the urge to knock her hand away.

"I'm sorry to bother you like this, but I was part of the school group that came through on Friday and I think I lost my watch in your garden."

"The garden?" Bulma raised her eyebrows.

"When I was going with Erasa to the bathroom, we bumped into Goten in the hall looking for his dad. I helped him find the garden and I think that's when I lost it."

Bulma smiled and nodded opening the door wider and beckoning the girl to come in.

"Sure no problem, I'll go ask my mom. She spent yesterday working in the garden, she might have come across it." Bulma looked down at Goten and winked. "Goten, why don't you go show your new friend into the living room so she can sit down." Then she turned and headed out the side door.

It was then they finally noticed me. Grinning, Goten ran over and I scooped him up in my arms.

"Hey dad, this is Videl. She lost her watch and we're going to help her find it. But I have to take her to the living room first to sit."

Videl was staring at me doing a rather good impression of a fish, without waiting comment I turned with Goten still in my arms and headed toward the living room.

"It's in here." I didn't look at the girl but could sense her following behind. I was impressed, she managed to wait until she had found a seat before blurting out.

"You're that guy!"

I refrained from rolling my eyes and instead offered her a slight smirk.

"What? Not off saving the world today?"

She scowled at me. "You have a real attitude problem you know that?" Looking at Goten she pointed a finger at me. "This is your dad?"

I couldn't help grinning a little when Goten threw his arms around my neck. "Yep he's the best dad in the whole world!" The girl did another fish impression and stared at me.

"You're his dad?"

This time I did roll my eyes. "Give the girl a prize." Setting Goten down I nudged him toward the door. "Hey kiddo, go see if Bulma has found Videl's watch, ok?"

"Ok." I watched him run out of the room before turning on Videl and narrowing my eyes at her.

"Look, you seem like a nice enough person but you need to mind your own business. Yes, I'm Goten's dad. Yes, I'm young. He was born when I was twelve. We're old family friends of the Briefs and we're just visiting. We're leaving right after lunch. Does that answer all of your questions?"

Videl had shrank as far back into the couch as she could and looked a little pale. I realized I was snarling at her. I sighed and ran a hand through my hair in frustration.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to frighten you." I stood up quickly. How long does it take to find one old lady and a watch? I headed toward the door when her voice stopped me.

"Goten's mom?" She asked quietly.

"She's dead." I turned back to look at the girl on the couch. "She died right after giving birth."

"I'm so very sorry." The depth of sympathy in her voice took me aback. "My mom..." she stopped, seemed to choke on the words a little, and then continued. "My mom died right after giving birth to me as well."

I walked back over to the couch and sat down across from her, not sure what to say. She saw our circumstances as being very similar, I knew them to be quite different. Her mother didn't have a choice, I know my mother did. She left Goten and me behind so she could be with dad. Videl's mother probably would have given anything to hold onto what our mother willingly gave away. In a way Videl's situation is worse, at least I can be angry with my mother's betrayal. Videl was left with nothing but a hole that could not be filled.

Shaking my head I looked up at the young girl on the couch. "Life's pretty shitty, isn't it?"

Startled she laughed and the tension eased in the room. We sat in silence for a while until I heard Goten running down the hall. He came barreling into the room out of breath and held a watch up in front of Videl. Bulma followed at a slower pace behind him.

"Is this it Videl? Is this your watch? It's really cool! Look at this dad!" He jumped up and down in front of Videl. Chuckling I grabbed the bobbing object from him and studied it for a moment. It appeared to be a bit more than just a watch, and I quirked an eyebrow at the girl before handing it back.

"Impressive."

She blushed and shoved it in her pocket. "Well the police chief gave it to me as a present..." trailing off she blushed some more.

"Why don't you stay and have some lunch with us?" Bulma smiled at the girl and shook her head. "No, don't say no. It's fine. It's all ready and there's plenty. Come on into the kitchen." Not waiting for a reply she turned and walked out of the room.

"Come on Videl, you can sit next to me." Goten grabbed her hand and dragged Videl through the door while I followed behind silently thinking about what Videl had told me. I find it amazing how twisted life can be.

If my mother had lived, this is probably the sort of girl my mom would have insisted I marry. I realize that a large part of my animosity toward the girl comes from the fact that she does remind me so strongly of my mother. I'm sure she's a nice girl but even if I was capable of feeling anything, I couldn't. She's a child. Our ages in years may be similar but our ages in life are experiences apart. I'm ancient next to this girl. She's an innocent. I give my life to take care of Goten. I don't want the responsibility of raising another child. I have absolutely nothing to say to her. What good is it pretending we're peers? We have nothing in common. My days are filled with deadlines, bills, meals, seeing to Goten's needs, and fighting my own inner demons. Where would a girl such as this fit into that life? Her days are filled with parties, friends, boring teachers and homework.

We choose the paths we take in our lives. This path I've taken is one of solitude. If it wasn't for Goten I would have ended my life long ago. Betrayed by those I loved in life, I would betray them in death. But then I held Goten in my arms and realized I'd been given a second chance. Not a second chance for me, I was gone beyond retribution, but a second chance for Goten. I would be everything to him that had never been there for me. I don't exist anymore, all that really exists is Goten.

I didn't say anything throughout lunch, just listened to Goten and Trunks chatter away to Videl. Vegeta also ignored the girl and left immediately after he'd finished eating. Prince of Saiyans he may be, Prince Charming he is not. Bulma to my surprise, left me to my thoughts.

I walked with Videl to the door when she left after finishing her meal.

"You know, I don't think you're such a jerk after all. There must be some shred of humanity in you to raise such an awesome kid as Goten."

I looked at her in surprise and shook my head. "No you were right the first time. I am a jerk, Goten is just a great kid that's all."

She laughed thinking I was joking. "Ok, tough guy. If you say so, but I bet inside you're a complete softy."

She stuck out her hand for me to shake and I took it hesitantly. "It was nice meeting you Gohan, and here's a piece of advice. Don't be such a grump or you're going to miss all the fun life has to offer!"

With that the door closed behind her and I was left standing there. What an innocent. I suppose her fantasy should be allowed for now, after all pretty soon she's going to grow up and realize what a harsh cruel place this world really is.

I was still thinking about how different my life was from Videls, while I helped Bulma wash up the lunch dishes. I was so deep in thought I almost missed Bulma's first comment.

"She's a nice girl. I'm pretty sure she likes you. Aren't you tired of being alone?"

I should have known Bulma's silence was too good to be true. The woman just can't seem to resist meddling.

I gave her a bored look and handed a cleaned plate to her. "Don't be ridiculous. She's an infant."

"Don't you think you're being a little arrogant?"

"I suppose being married to Vegeta would make you the expert on arrogance."

"I'm serious Gohan. When are you going to cut yourself a little slack? You are allowed to move on with your life you know. You didn't die along with your parents."

I let out a sharp breath of air and turned towards Bulma in irritation.

"You really don't get it do you Bulma? This is my life. This is how I want to live it. Accept it or don't, it doesn't matter to me. But if you don't back off I will just shut you out. I'll turn you off and never look back. I've done it for the past six years and I'll do it again. I don't need you and I certainly don't need your fussing."

"I only fuss because I care." Bulma spoke softly and didn't seem to notice she'd been drying the same plate for the past few minutes.

"Your care is unwarranted and misguided. You seem to think I'm not aware of my life and how I live it. I happen to be satisfied with where I am right now. It may not appeal to you but it suits me."

I know my words hurt her but I needed her to understand.

"But it's so different from how things use to be."

"And things were so wonderful back then? I don't know what story you were reading, but I remember a slightly darker tale."

"I'm sorry Gohan. All I want to do is hold you and make everything better. I want you to be a little boy again so I can promise you that everything will be ok."

"That's not possible Bulma. Bad things happen to good people, evil triumphs, injustice prevails. That's the real world. You thought I had the fairytale and want to give it back. Bulma, there never was a fairytale. Just a living nightmare."

I tried to soften the harshness of my words by taking the cloth from her hands and gently holding them in mine.

"Can't you try to make a fairytale for yourself now?" She asked softly.

For a moment I couldn't answer her, instead pulling her into a hug. "There is no tale for me, my life is cast. But for Goten? I try to make that fairy tale true everyday."

We stood like that for a long time, and then I wiped away the tears I knew were on her face.

"I'm sorry I can't be the happy little boy you want me to be, Bulma. I'm a different person now, this is who I am now and I can't ever go back."

"Maybe, do you think I can get to know this Gohan a little better? Maybe we can become friends."

I studied her for a moment and then smiled. "I think I could handle that."

She smiled slowly back and then we finished the dishes.

-------

Bulma watched as Goten waved from where he sat on Gohan's shoulders as they lifted up into the air. She had thought that by bringing them here she could encourage Gohan to come back and spend more time with his friends. Maybe even move closer. She had thought he would be the same cheerful little boy she last remembered seeing. Now she knew none of that was possible. She was going to have to let go of that little boy in her mind and accept this new person that Gohan had become. He was a good person, if a little cold at times and he had agreed to let them try again and start over. It would be a different relationship than they had before but maybe that wasn't such a bad thing.

The miles in between their homes didn't really matter. It was the miles between their hearts that concerned Bulma the most. But maybe with time Goten would teach Gohan to trust again.

-------

I was relieved, I'd been afraid Bulma was going to break down and demand I stay longer or something. Maybe she's finally realizing I mean what I say about living alone.

It feels really good to be going home. Bulma is a wonderful person, and even Vegeta isn't that bad, but I just feel so stifled when I'm around them. It would hurt Bulma terribly if I told her she reminded me of many things I wanted to forget. I could never live anywhere near her or the old gang, there's just too many memories.

Bulma keeps saying it wasn't my fault and that the death of my parents was not my responsibility. She thinks she's trying to help but she's wrong. It was my fault. My father's death and in a way my mother's death. I screwed up. In one moment my life changed forever and it wasn't anybodies fault but mine.

What hurts the most is he didn't come back. Dad could have come back but decided to stay. He left me behind and I never got the chance to say I was sorry, never got the chance to ask forgiveness. And when my mother followed after him I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt, I would never be forgiven.

I deprived the world a great hero; a wife, her loving husband; and a small infant the chance to ever get to know the man who brought him into this world. My sins are beyond redemption. The only way I know how to atone for my mistake is to take care of Goten the best way I can. Bulma wants to save me, but I'm beyond saving. I lost my place in this world that fateful day six years ago.

For now I will continue to take care of Goten, but I know that some day my turn will come and I will follow my father down that path to death. I hold no allusions though, I didn't receive forgiveness in life, nor do I expect any in death.

I was deep in these admittedly rather morbid thoughts when I realized Goten was trying to tell me something.

"Sorry Goten, what did you say?"

I felt him tug my hair gently in exasperation and he pointed down toward the land below. "Our house is right there dad! You're gonna fly right over it!"

I looked down in surprise and saw he was right. We'd been flying along the coastline for a while and I hadn't been paying attention to where we were.

"Hey your right. And that little boy, is why you shouldn't think and fly." He giggled and squirmed down into my arms.

"Mrs. Thomas says it's `drink and drive' dad. Not think and fly."

I grinned and ruffled his hair. "Huh, just goes to show Mrs. Thomas doesn't know everything, why on earth would anyone drive? Darn strange way to get around if you ask me, and think of all those accidents. Now, have you heard of any mid air collisions between two people in the sky? No, I didn't think so. Now, children dropping out of the sky maybe."

And with a laugh I tossed Goten up in the air and let him fall a little ways before gathering him back in my arms.

"Do it again!" He laughed and I let go again, tracking his fall beside him while he laughed harder. Catching him one last time, I set us down outside and watched him race toward the house. You'd think we'd been gone for months instead of a week, but I had to agree that it was good to be home.

TBC

*Well there you go for chapter eight. And I even made Gohan play nice. hehe <sigh> Midterms over, maybe things will settle down now. Again, thank you for all of the wonderful reviews, you guys make my day! See you next week with chapter nine!*