Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ For the Love of a Child ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

"For the Love of a Child"

Disclaimer: Toriyama is a God. I'm just a simple college student tinkering with his creation.

*Chapter 9*

We'd been home for about a week when a black car pulled up outside the house. I had returned from taking Goten to school an hour ago and was settling down to work when I heard knocking at the door.

I studied the two outside the door briefly before opening it. They didn't look like they were lost and asking for directions. A man and woman stood in the doorway, both in business suits.

"Can I help you?"

Bulma says that I have mastered the cold stoic expression and moved onto `frigidly scary'. I could tell these two were going for professional stoicism, but the woman just looked like she'd bitten into something nasty and the guy appeared to be constipated. Inwardly chuckling I watched the two, until the woman finally spoke.

"Are you Gohan Son?"

"Yes."

The woman's eyes widened a little and she gave me the once over.

It was the man's turn to talk. "I'm Paul Rider and this is Mary Web. We're from Social Services and we've been asked to look into the personal well being and home life of Goten Son."

Damn it if that nosy Mrs. Thomas hadn't called in the big guns. I crossed my arms in front of me and scowled at the two standing in the door, blocking them from entering the house.

"Personal well being and home life? They're both fine. And no he's not here, I let him out of the dungeon to go to school today. Even gave him a moldy crust of bread for lunch."

"If we could come in and talk for a moment? We just want to get a sense of the sort of

environment Goten lives in."

Rider ignored my cracks about the dungeon and bread, and I wasn't sure if it was because he was that good, or just that stupid he couldn't deviate from the script. I flicked a glance at the woman and saw her trying to look past me into the house. Sighing in exasperation I moved out of the way and held the door wide for them to enter.

"Well if you insist, come in then." Nobody said I had to be polite.

I led the way into the living room and after everyone was seated, the real interrogation started. I found it strangely reminiscent of the Spanish inquisition.

"Are you the sole guardian and care giver of Goten Son?"

"Do you live here with Goten alone?"

"Do you receive help from any other friends and family in raising Goten?"

"How old are you?"

"What do you do for a living? Do you find the income sufficient to raising a child?"

"How do you discipline Goten?"

"Have you ever hit Goten?"

"Do you have a set bedtime for Goten?"

"What is a typical meal that you have?"

"Do you ever leave Goten here alone?"

I was tempted at first to answer their questions as flippantly as possible but decided against it. While I know they can't take Goten away from me, I am of a legal age to take care of him, they could make our life more tedious. And unlike Vegeta, I'm not necessarily inclined to go blow up something up just to make my point. So I played their game and answered their questions truthfully. Or at least as much truth as they needed to know.

"Yes I'm the sole guardian and care giver, Goten's mom died when he was born." The woman made little notes on her clipboard and gave me what I think was meant to be a sympathetic look.

"And you live in this house alone with Goten?" The man, Rider, stared at me incredulously. Glancing down at my clothes I tried to imagine how I must look to them. While in my own mind I'm ancient, I forget others perceive me differently. I was wearing a pair of loose jeans and a blue button up shirt with the sleeves rolled up and the collar undone. Barefoot, messy hair- I probably looked like your average teenager, not the father of a five, though soon to be six year old.

"Yes we live here alone, this is my house."

This time the man put his pen down in open disbelief. "And what exactly is it you do for a living?"

"I write novels."

"Novels?"

"Yes, I write under the name Sam Maxwell." I didn't think they needed to know about Dr. James Grant, having to admit to being Sam Maxwell was bad enough.

"You're Sam Maxwell? As in the number one best seller Maxwell, the guy who writes all those adventure stories?" The woman, was staring at me with her mouth hanging open.

"Do you have any evidence to prove this, I mean it's pretty outrageous!" The woman

had dropped her clipboard in her agitation and was still gaping at me.

I stood up in irritation. "I'll go get you some of the paperwork from my editor, will that suffice as proper evidence?"

"Yes that would do fine."

I stalked out of the room and grabbed some documents from my office before heading back to the living room. I could hear them talking and paused outside the door.

"He's not a terribly friendly young man is he?"

"Did the boys teacher say there was any evidence of neglect or abuse?"

"No just that the home life seemed odd. Apparently a woman showed up in the middle of the home visit and was accusing Gohan of running away with the child. When the teacher confronted him, he kicked her out of the house."

I walked back into the room at that point and handed the documents to the woman. "I trust these will be sufficient in proving I am more than financially capable of seeing to Goten's needs."

She swallowed a couple times and handed the papers to Rider. After a brief look he put them down and studied me for a moment.

I decided I'd had enough. This whole business was boring and wasting my time. "Look, let's just cut to the chase. I know you're here because of Bulma's comment when Mrs. Thomas was here." I stared at the two and waited for them to say something.

"Well, since you brought it up Gohan, Mrs. Thomas was a little concerned."

I snorted a laugh and stared at the ceiling.

"Concerned?"

"Gohan, where are your parents? We find it hard to believe that they're dead like you told Goten's teacher. How come you live here alone? Did you run away from home? It's alright, you can talk to us, you won't get into trouble." The woman, Mary, was leaning forward and placed a hand on my knee.

I looked down at her hand and then stared at her, waiting for her to remove it. She did, rather hastily and I resumed my study of the ceiling.

"My parents are dead. I live here alone because I want to. And no, despite what that busybody Mrs. Thomas thought she heard, I did not run away from home or steal Goten or any other such nonsense."

"But you're so young! Shouldn't you be in school yourself?"

I sighed and looked at the two social workers sitting across from me. I wasn't going to be able to blow them off. I resented having to share information about my personal life but it looked like I wouldn't be able to get rid of them otherwise.

"Ok fine. You want to know about me? I guess I'll start with who I am. Have you ever heard of the martial artist Goku Son?"

They look puzzled for a moment and then the man suddenly nodded. "Yeah, I remember. He was a World's Martial Arts champion, a really incredible fighter if I remember correctly."

The woman nodded as well. "That's right. Isn't he the one who fought as a little kid and came in second place both times, just barely losing the championship? After he did win the championship he just kind of disappeared from the tournament..."

Rider stared at me in surprise, "Goku Son...Gohan Son...you wouldn't be related would you?"

"He was my father."

Both social workers did their own fish impressions. I seem to be getting that a lot lately.

"Rumor was he stopped fighting because he got married." Rider looked at me questioningly.

"I suppose. My mom was the daughter of the Ox King. She was a pretty formidable lady and never did approve of my dad's fighting." I couldn't help but shake my head at the irony.

"She called him a karate bum."

"Wow, so you're the son of Goku, that's pretty incredible. Did he teach you how to fight as well?" The woman seemed to find my family history extremely exciting but I could only snort in disgust.

"Yes he taught me. But he's dead now and I don't fight anymore."

"How did he die?" I glared at the man but he just looked back at me calmly.

"Saving my sorry butt from Cell." It came out more bitter than I intended and I paused for a moment, searching for my balance.

"Anyway, my mom died shortly after. Goten was born around that time and I've been taking care of him since. I had lots of friends I could have gone to for help but I just wanted to get away."

I looked over at the two social workers. "My father was a great man. He was surrounded by friends who loved him. After he died I just couldn't handle being around them, too many happy memories long gone. So I came here with Goten, took courses online, my mother had always home schooled me so it was no great change. Completed my degree, started writing and built this house. I'm nineteen years old. I very seldom have to discipline Goten and I've never hit him. His bedtime is 9 pm, a typical meal consists of rice, vegetables, and meat, and no I have never left him alone. Does that answer all of your questions?"

Rider watched me silently for a moment more and then stood up. "Yes I think you've given us enough information. This appears to be a perfectly safe and healthy environment. We'll convey to Mrs. Thomas that she has nothing to worry about."

The two social workers gathered their things and I walked them to the door.

"Thank you for answering all of our questions, I realize this has probably brought up a lot of painful memories and I apologize." Rider held out a hand and I shook it in surprise. Smiling at me the woman, waved and walked toward the car. Rider started to follow her and then turned back.

"By the way, are you teaching Goten martial arts as well? Passing on the old Son tradition?"

I blinked and released my grip on the doorframe where my fingers had left indents. I should have known this question was coming.

"Yes."

Rider chuckled. "Gotcha." And with that they drove away, leaving me standing in the doorway feeling like my personal life had been dragged out and walked on.

I pushed the social workers and their questions out of my mind for the rest of the day, but didn't realize how tense I was until I felt myself relax when Goten came racing out of the school. He ran over to my usual spot my the tree where I stood waiting, and I crouched down to catch him in my arms before swinging him up. Holding him close I drank in the smell and feel of him, it was like pure joy and sunshine.

"Hey there little man, how was school today?" I tossed him up in the air and caught him while he squealed with laughter before finally resting him up on my shoulders. He leaned over and kissed me on the cheek and I felt that strange choking sensation in my throat again. Pushing it down I started walking down the sidewalk, toward the rear of the school where we normally left from.

"It was great dad! We painted and I made a picture of Uncle Vegeta, it's in my bag. Can we send it to him sometime?"

I chuckled imagining the look on Vegeta's face when he received the picture. "Sure thing kiddo, we can package it all up tonight after dinner and I'll mail it tomorrow."

"Alright! Oh dad, guess what? Tomorrow is show and tell and it's my turn."

"Show and tell?"

"Yeah, I have to bring something special to me and tell the class about it."

"Do you know what you want to bring?"

Goten was silent for a moment and I felt him rest his cheek on the top of my head while

he played with my hair.

"I was kind of hoping to bring the four star Dragon Ball."

I stopped in the middle of the side walk and reached up. Pulling Goten down in front of my chest I studied his face for a moment.

"The four star ball huh? Why do you want to bring that?"

He looked back at me seriously and then threw his arms around me to give me a hug.

"Well you tell me the stories about the ball and I think it's pretty..." he trailed off and looked up at me eyes shining. "This is one of those things we have to keep secret isn't it?"

I looked at him sadly. "Yeah kiddo, I'm afraid it is. I know you think it's really neat and just want to share it with your class but I'm afraid it's one of those things that most people just wouldn't understand."

He nodded at me again and something inside me I didn't know still existed gave a sharp stab of pain. He looked so serious, for a moment I saw myself at that age, eyes full of knowledge a child should never have. Quickly I pulled him close to me in a tight hug.

"I know, why don't you bring Mr. Hoppers tomorrow? You can tell the class all about him, maybe if they're gentle they can hold him. How about that?"

I pulled him back a little so I could see his face and felt another sharp stab of pain in my chest. He laughed and patted my cheek before clapping his hands. The smile on his face could have lit up the darkest of rooms.

"That's a great idea dad! Yeah, I bet the class would really like Mr. Hoppers!" I chuckled and swung him back up onto my shoulders.

"Glad to know I'm good for something." Goten laughed and I struggled to keep myself from shaking, relief washing over me in waves to see that sad serious look on his face gone. The choking feeling was back in my throat and my eyes felt strange, burning. If I didn't know better I'd say I was close to tears. Shaking my head at that ridiculous thought I rounded the corner of the school. I hadn't cried since the day I watched my father disappear before my eyes with Cell, I certainly wasn't about to start crying now. I have no more tears to shed.

-------

Rider watched the teenager and little boy disappear around the corner. In order to complete his report he had wanted to see Gohan interact with Goten when he didn't think anyone was watching. Rider was more than satisfied. He couldn't hear what the two said to each other, but their body language spoke volumes. It was obvious Gohan doted on the child and the little boy practically radiated love and joy. There was no doubt in Rider's mind that despite his age, Gohan was taking excellent care of the little boy in question.

"Well Mr. Rider, have you reached a decision regarding Goten Son?" Mrs. Thomas walked over to stand next to the social worker.

"Yes Mrs. Thomas, I have. I think that little boy couldn't be left in better hands."

"But that young man is so..." the teacher trailed off, a loss for words on how to describe the teenager.

"Yes, appears rather cold doesn't he?" Rider remarked dryly. "But have you ever seen him look that way at Goten? I only saw love and trust and that's good enough for me. From what I can tell, the kid's had a rough time, I think a little anger at the world is to be expected."

Rider shrugged and offered the teacher a smile. "If it makes you feel better, I'll keep this case on my `active' list for a while. I can stop by the Son residence every once in a while to check on them, see how they're both doing."

Mrs. Thomas offered the social worker a worried smile and nodded slowly. "I'd appreciate that."

Rider patted the woman's hand and then headed back to his office to file his final report. He really didn't think the teacher had anything to worry about. Gohan appeared to be responsible far beyond what one would expect. He'd been managing just fine all this time, Rider doubted he needed much help. Rider did have to wonder though. That look in Gohan's eyes when he'd spoke of his father. It was such a strange look. One of anger and sorrow, but there had been bitterness too. And always in Gohan's eyes was a sense that he had seen things Rider couldn't even imagine. Gohan eyes reflected age far beyond his years. But those were things Rider could understand. What made him pause and feel a little cold was the sense that when you looked into Gohan eyes, they were the eyes of someone who had seen death and regretted living.

TBC

*Another chapter for you all. I'm glad to hear so many of you are enjoying my story. Thanks for all of your reviews and support. Once again, criticism and feedback are more than welcome, they're what make me a better writer and give you a better story. Till next time!*