Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Mistress of Wishes ❯ Refusal ( Chapter 28 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Goku started to his feet, intense anger visible in each contour of his bodice. The Supreme Kai had expected this, after all, though the Saijin before him loved competition and fighting, he despised the taking of a life, innocent or otherwise. Especially innocent, as he knew Ices was. To tell the truth, the Supreme Kai didn't like it anymore than the protector of Earth did, but it was the only way to preserve her soul and assure the safety of the universe.
 
“I won't do it.” Snarled Goku, his knuckles turning white with his strain. The Supreme Kai sighed, and leaned back in his chair.
 
“Goku, I know you don't like this, but if you don't do it someone else will, and they'll end up destroying her soul in the process.” His glasses gleamed almost forlornly in the light of the room.
 
“I-I can't do this, not when I know that she's done nothing wrong!” Goku ground his teeth with frustration.
 
“It depends on who's perspective you see out of. To King Yemna she has broken the law, she entered Hell while living, revived several of its inhabitants, and opened an inter-dimensional rift which freed those hellions.” The Kai seemed pensive. “At any rate, we've discussed this enough. There is no more for me to tell you, the decision is yours. But remember what I told you, because my fellow Kai's plot to destroy her soul even as we speak.”
 
The saijin stood, a scowl clearly evident on his features. He turned away without saying a word, and brought his two fingers to his forehead, instantly transmitting himself to the powers of his fellow defenders of Earth.
 
I can't kill her. There has to be another way. Goku ranted within his mind, just before he disappeared.
 
*
 
The Z fighters turned to face Goku as he appeared in the ship, his features hard.
 
“Well?” Vegeta growled, his fists clenched, Goku didn't spare him a glance, instead opting to clench his fists once more. He brought up all the willpower he had to fight his morality down. What he was about to say went against everything he had come to believe.
 
“We have to kill her.” He barely forced out, his muscles trembling as if he were fighting his most powerful opponent yet. And in a way he was, he was about to take on his morals, it would make or break him as a person.
 
“What?! But she's innocent!” Gohan shouted, outraged. Goku ignored him, opting instead to locate her faintly glowing energies, and turn toward them. Gohan stepped in his father's way. “I won't let you kill her!” He powered up, his features changing to those of the Super Saijin.
 
“Enough Gohan.” Piccolo growled, surprising the youth, who turned his still angry eyes in the way of his mentor. “Can't you see this is hard enough on him as it is?” The young saijin gave his father another look, and calmed slightly, beginning to think things through.
 
In all the years he had known his father, he had always hesitated to take life. Even Frieza's life, corrupted as it was, had not met its end at his father's hands. So then for him to be forced into killing something that was closer to their own flock there had to be no other choice. Something dire must rest upon his decision…
 
As Gohan realized the inevitability of it all the youth powered down, regaining his former physique. He could trust his Father to make the right decision…
 
Couldn't he?
 
Author's Note:
 
Yes yes I know short chapter, I'm sorry. But I have to go to work soon and I wanted to get it up before I left. Please review, and if you have read the poem on Ices, I'd like to know your thoughts on that as well. Loved it, hated it? I won't be angry at you if you tell me that I suck at poetry and should give it up (it'll save a lot of humiliation if you do). For those of you unaware of the poem's existence, it is titled Wicked, Wicked Mother, and has to do with Ices' feelings toward all the negativity that the Kai's see in her…or something like that.