Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ So Many Steps to Death... ❯ Just Another Day: The Great Escape ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Notes: song fic form-----sorry (but only if it bothers you!) The song is "Summer Nights", from Grease----not too sure if they're all accurate. I don't include all the verses. More notes on the bottom.

~

Summer lovin'

Had me a blast

Summer lovin'

Happened so fast

*

Jito dreamily leaned on the edge the stage, staring at Futomi with his chin resting in his hands and stars in his eyes. Futomi didn't notice him; too busy trying to sing without shattering eardrums. She was no Sara Brighton, but her voice was a definite notch above some people.

*

Met a girl

Crazy for me!

Met a boy

Cute as can be!

*

Jito's hand slipped inside of his jacket. He pulled out a small, blue velvet box. There was a determined look in his eyes as he swung himself on the stage. Some of the band members exchanged looks, but they didn't stop playing the music. Futomi didn't notice him at all, even when he was right next to her.

*

Summer days

Driftin' away

But, uh

Those Summer Nights!

*

Jito opened his mouth.

"Futomi, I…" he started, but Futomi's hand swung around and hit him on his nose.

Jito gave a muffled yelp and fell down on the stage. Futomi didn't pause her singing.

*

Tell me more

Tell me more

Did you get very far?

Tell me more

Tell me more

Did he have a car?

*

Jito held his nose while his eyes got teary.

"Broken…"

He lifted his head and gazed at Futomi.

"God, I wish you wouldn't do that…"

The blue-eyed assistant managed to pick himself up and pull together his composure, while a band aid mysteriously appeared on his nose. He took a step forward, his mouth open. Futomi's hand swung around again. Jito ducked.

"Futomi…"

Her hand came around again and smacked the back of his head. Jito stumbled, but didn't lose his balance. Futomi kept on singing. Jito frowned, and grabbed her hand.

"FUTOMI!"

Instantly, the music halted. Jito didn't flinch. Their audience stared, the kitchen was quiet, and a bright light focused on him and the love goddess apprentice. Futomi's mouth was slightly ajar. Jito knelt down on one knee.

"Futomi…"

He pulled out the box. Futomi's jaw dropped considerably lower.

"Jito…"

The latter smiled. [Meanwhile, a certain couple quickly took their exit, by way of the French doors, to the sea… Jito and Futomi didn't notice them.] Jito bowed his head and opened the box with his finger. The lid popped open, revealing a rose pink diamond ring. Futomi stifled a high-pitched squeal with her mouth as Jito looked up again. He took a deep breath.

"Futomi…Okay."

He blushed a bright crimson.

"God…I've never done this before…It's just that you're just so wonderful and sweet that I'm afraid you'll refuse me…I'm not the best-looking guy in the world, as you've told me before, and I AM a dork…But…Will you marry me?"

Futomi smiled and cocked her ear towards him.

"What was that, Jito?" she said, purposely being coquettish.

Jito's face grew redder. He grabbed the microphone from her hand and shouted.

"MARRY ME, FUTOMI!"

Futomi took a step back, her hands on her face. Jito suddenly looked crushed.

"No? Y-you won't?"

Futomi leapt forward in a violent lunge, grabbing his waist.

"Oh course, my little love!! How could I refuse!! Yes, YES!"

A thunderous applause supported them. Futomi stood up, holding her fiancé's hands in her own. When they kissed, fireworks exploded near the ceiling, showers of flower petals rained down to the floor, and bells were ringing…Waiters crashed into one another, women cried, and the head chef started baking a wedding cake as fast he could…What chaos for just one proposal!

~

*

Uh, Summer Sun

Something's begun,

But, uh

Those Summer Nights!

*

~

The familiarly cold and friendly wind greeted Piccolo and Sotari when they reached the wooden threshold of a sandy beach. Billions of white tiny stars winked at them, and the full moon partially hid its face behind a wispy purple cloud. The sky was a comfortable black shade with scattered, but numerous lilac-purple-violet clouds. The air was cold, but it was a relief from the warm atmosphere of the restaurant and dancing floor. Sotari and Piccolo breathed in the frigid night hungrily, and exhaled their own little white clouds into the night.

The lady Saiyajin was the first to let go of Piccolo's hand. She leaned down halfway and slipped off her shoes. Leaving them on a wooden platform, she detached her peacock train and tossed it alongside the shoes. She took a small jump from the threshold to the sand, her arms and eyes raised high to the sky. Her hands seem to touch the surface of the moon, and sweep away the purple veil. She whirled around, smiling a little. Piccolo quickly followed Sotari as she was walking down towards the darker part of the beach.

"Saiyajin!! Where are you going?" he demanded [but hoping he didn't sound like he cared].

Sotari paused and looked at him.

"Isn't our date over?" she countered, then shrugged, "After all, those two (*casting a malicious glance at the restaurant*) won't be looking for us."

She gave him a shrewd and suspicious look.

"Why do you care?"

Piccolo hesitated only the slightest of seconds. He said the very first thing on his mind.

"Do you swim?"

Sotari stared.

"What?"

Piccolo repeated the question---slowly. Sotari snapped at him.

"Of course I can swim, stupid ass! I'm not…"

Piccolo's clothes were mysteriously flung away. He waded into the water. Sotari watched as he turned back and smile a fanged grin at her.

"Race you," he said, then slipped silently into the dark waters.

Sotari's face flushed.

"Oh no, you don't," she muttered.

She flew a little ways over the water and dived, not bothering with her dress. Neither one surfaced for a while. Though the water was black and murky beneath the surface, Piccolo and Sotari sensed the other's ki, somehow mentally calculating the finish point of their little race. It was in a path of moonlight that Piccolo surfaced first, followed closely by Sotari. Piccolo grinned again.

"I won," he said.

Sotari responded by shaking her head vigorously and splashing drops of saltwater from her hair to Piccolo's face.

"You had a head start," she retorted as Piccolo wiped away some water from his face.

"I won," he repeated, with more emphasis on 'won'.

She glared at him.

"You Saiyajins," Piccolo chuckled, "You can't stand losing, can you?"

Sotari's eyes blazed.

"I should kick your sorry arse for insulting me," she said huffily.

Piccolo's grin widened.

"And make enough noise to even arouse the attentions of the Brainless Duo?"

"They're proposing! They'll be drinking their bloody lights off!"

Piccolo's eyes twinkled.

"Mixing their drinks, no doubt…"

Sotari couldn't help but smile a little.

"…And getting married in a chapel…"

Piccolo leaned closer. His voice dropped to a murmur.

"…Having their crazy offspring…"

Sotari leaned closer, her voice also a mere whisper. Their mouths were almost touching.

"…Drinking some more…"

They pulled apart suddenly, jerking their gazes in opposite directions. Sotari was now looking at the beach, and Piccolo had a face full of moon. Piccolo cleared his throat.

"…Yes…" continued Piccolo, "…More drinks…"

He dared to look at Sotari again. Sotari's eyes shifted and gazed into his, but her head was slower turning to fully look at him.

"…More cat-eared brats…" she said, starting to lean over again, "…And green-haired freaks…"

"What's wrong with green?" Piccolo said indignantly.

Sotari smiled demurely.

"Nothing," she said, then kissed him.

~

*

Oh Baby,

Tell me more

Tell me more

Was it Love at first sight?

Tell me more

Tell more

Did she put up a fight?

*

~

Futomi banged the counter with her empty shot glass. The patient bartender, who had had much experience with such things, deftly removed the glass from Futomi.

"I wouldn't drink anymore, if I were you," he warned, eyeing her and the young man sitting together with a shrewd, knowing look.

Jito waved his hand shakily. His electric blue eyes were glazed and his cheeks flushed.

"Another Orange Blossom for my girl," Jito's speech slurred (for simplicity's sake, I'm 'translating'), "And…"

"I seriously think you two should go home," replied the bartender, then added sharply, "Separately."

Jito and Futomi burst out laughing, swaying in their chairs and nearly collapsing on the floor.

"Haha, but we're engaged!"

The bartender narrowed his eyes.

"I see."

He mixed a martini for himself. Futomi and Jito started making out. The bartender took no notice.

"So…Did you just get hitched?"

"Not yet," Jito replied after a while, "We're going to elope to the forest planet of Yuquiye…"

He gazed tenderly at Futomi, his glassy eyes twinkling. Jito stood up, supporting himself by leaning on the table and holding Futomi's hand, but he swayed dangerously out of balance.

"…We figure that the natives there need us more than here on Earth…"

The bartender resisted rolling his eyes. He had heard stranger things before; so, the comment slipped out of his brain altogether.

"Wait, love," Futomi said, pulling Jito down into the chair again, "You promised me we'd go to Aether to get us wedding bands and get married at their church…"

Her eyes sparkled at the thought of a wedding. Jito stood up again, this time, pulling up Futomi next to him. The two lovers leaned on each other and waved farewell to the bartender. Then, to the bartender's utmost surprise, twin puffs of pink and green billowed out from beneath. The smoke filled the room and the bartender's nostrils. He coughed, then blinked. The couple was still there. Jito looked confused.

"What happened? Why won't our powers work?"

Futomi chuckled.

"Because, love, since we're going to be married, we'll have to travel together now---it's almost impossible now for us to travel separately."

Jito chuckled.

"Of course, of course…Silly of me. What color should the cloud be?"

"PINK!" Futomi squealed in a drunken way.

Jito rolled his eyes.

"Yellow it is," he said.

The pink and green smoke changed into yellow. They gathered around Futomi and Jito again, and the next time the bartender looked, the two were gone.

~

*

We did stroll

Drank lemonade

We made out

Under the dark!

We stayed out

Till two o'clock!

Summer fleeing

Don't mean a thing

But, oh

Those Summer Nights----!!

*

~

The blue-skinned, twin-horned employee jerked his head up from his work. There were sounds of drunken singing and stumbling in the hall outside the office. The worker quickly dashed from his desk to the doorway to take a look. No one was supposed to turn up for work drunk! His eyes widened as he saw the least likely figure to be smashed.

"Jito!" he shouted, and Jito (with Futomi leaning against him) stumbled into the office.

Every head looked up and stared.

"Jito!" the worker exclaimed, lowering his voice, "What the hell??"

"Kate," Jito said, trying to stand straight while Futomi was giggling insanely next to him, "Meet my slug, Gary."

"My name is Bob. And…What?"

"Joke! HA! But really, this is my fiancée, Futomi…"

Futomi did a clumsy curtsy. Jito lowered his head.

"Listen…" he whispered loudly.

The worker waved the air in front of his face.

"God, you're really smashed, aren't you?"

"Shut up and listen!" Jito hissed.

The worker shut up.

"Me and Futomi are gonna cantalope."

The worker raised an eyebrow.

"Elope," he corrected.

Jito went on.

"We want ya to do a favor fer us, Jeb."

"My name is Bob."

"RIIIIIGHT, Cakey-poo Elizabeth I. Anyway, me and Futomi want ya to tell King Enma we've bought it."

"Bought what?"

"Wedding cake!" Futomi exclaimed.

"No!" Jito said fiercely, "Died!"

The worker's jaw dropped ten inches.

"YOU WANT ME TO DO WHAT?"

Heads turned. Jito flushed red. He waved at them and the heads looked down again.

"Write up our report and make a note that we're head."

"Dead."

"Rrriiiiiiight. Just do that for us, will ya?"

"You know how many regulations you'll be breaking!!"

The worker started counting off his fingers.

"One: you don't have a blessing from the Tokyo Love Goddess (and, everyone knows, you MUST have her blessing for all Upper-World marriages!!); Two: no formal retirement ceremony; Three…"

"Okay, okay," Jito said impatiently, "Just tell 'em we're dead."

"But you two are already dead!"

"Look, Sitala…"

"IT'S BOB!!!"

"Whatever. Just pray with some incense sticks to Muta for everyone's silence on this affair! Also pray to Aeolis to release the Bag of Four Winds to scatter the information (burn a copy of the report and scatter its ashes into a tornado). And, if you're still not uneasy, sacrifice a live gazelle to Amon to keep it hidden. For insurance, attach a copy of the report to the leg of a messenger owl and send it to Amaunet."

Jito looked satisfied. The worker's jaw was stretched a little lower.

"You're asking me to pray to ancient gods!?"

"And goddesses!" Futomi added in a musical voice.

"But these gods haven't been practicing for thousands of years!!" the worker complained, "They're busy being retired! What makes you think----"

"And goddesses!" Futomi squealed in a high-pitched voice.

"The point is," Jito cut in, "Is that you make that we're dead and that nobody finds out about it. And I swear, you'll never hear from us again."

He gazed directly into the worker's eyes. The worker straightened up. His face was serious.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" he asked Jito, "Because, after this, you'll never be able to work here again."

Jito shrugged.

"Futomi's a licensed love goddess now," Jito said, "We just got the certificate last night."

Futomi took it out of dress, waving it in the air. The certificate looked like an overly decorated Valentine's day card. The worker shrugged.

"Okay…But it isn't my fault if you guys get caught alive on---where are you going?"

"Yuquiye," Jito replied quietly, "In case you need to contact us."

The worker nodded. He held out his hand.

"Good-bye, Jito."

Jito, apparently out of his drunken stupor (for now!), firmly shook his hand. Futomi smiled and giggled.

"Good-bye, Shakespeare!" she said (she wasn't quite out of it…).

The worker grinned.

"You'll find him in the second layer of Paradise."

Futomi sniggered. Jito saluted his now former coworker, turned around, and left the office.

~

*

He got friendly

Holding my hand

She got friendly

Down in the sand!

*

~

The worker dropped his head in his hands. His head felt like lead, and it was throbbing.

"God!" he exclaimed aloud to a dark office, "What am I going to do! This is going to take forever!!"

He dared to look down at the death report below his chin. Most of it was filled out, save for one box…

"Cause of Death!!" the worker bellowed, "Cause of Death!!!! HELL! I don't know what the f-ing cause of death is!!!"

He banged the desk with his fist, then screamed with pain. He shook his severely bruised fist and blew on it.

"Why'd I ever try to help them…" he grumbled, "Just sos they can elope off to Yuquiye!! I wanna to go to Yuquiye!!!"

He took in a deep breath. He told himself he was behaving irrationally.

"Just calm down," he said to himself, "Breathe."

The worker allowed himself to breathe for a few minutes. After that period, he felt more relaxed and clear-headed.

"Okay!" he said, "Now…"

He went down his list of Possible Causes of Death.

"Vegeta? Nah, they didn't even meet him!"

His pen scribbled over the name.

"Earthquake? No… Tornado? No… I got it! Drowning!! Futomi doesn't swim a---oh, wait, that wouldn't work… They didn't go outside to the ocean at all, that was Sotar----Wait just a bloody second, I GOT IT!!!"

He was so excited that he leapt on his desk and danced.

"IT'S PERFECT!!" he sang in a happy voice, "SOTARI AND PICCOLO!!! HA!!"

He got off the desk and headed straight towards a cabinet.

"I'll set up sos Piccy (Piccolo) and Ari (Sotari) will look like they murdered Jito and Futomi!" the worker muttered to himself, "It's perfect! All I have to do is obliterate the record that their date was successful and make them forget that they ever went on one at all!! Hahaha, I'm so clever I could just marry myself!!"

He swung open the doors, revealing a mini altar of some kind. The worker got out some candles and incense of different scents and lit them. Then, he prayed and waited. A few minutes later, a variety of ghostly forms appeared around him, their auras shining brightly within the darkness of the office. One of the forms, floated forward to the worker. He didn't flinch, but bowed, for this was Amaunet, the Egyptian counterpart goddess of Amon. She had a crown of golden, glaring, flaring suns and brilliant-cut sphalerites. Her very head seemed afire, and the worker was tempted to run for the fire alarm.

The goddess glared at the worker and her black hair rippled and quivered as she spoke: "Who dares summon the Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Times?"

"Yeah!" spoke up one goddess in a cheap silver dress and band, "Don't you know that we're all retired!?"

Amaunet threw a nasty glare at the goddess.

"Keep your silence, Muta!" she snapped, "Or I will cut your tongue!"

Muta stuck her tongue out. Amaunet flushed and her aura flared, and Muta got sunburned instead. The minor goddess whimpered and Amaunet got back to the worker.

"Tell me, Mortal Bob," she said, "What is your Worthless Request of Us Gods and Goddess of the Ancient Times?"

"Actually," said Bob, I have a request for each of you."

"Oh?"

Amaunet seemed slightly interested. Bob repeated what Jito had said.

He finished, saying: "So all we have to do is make them drink the Water of Forgetfulness---"

Amaunet actually smiled.

"A worthy task!" she exclaimed, but then added, "Why didn't you just leave it to me and Amon? We could've done it ourselves, Mortal Bob!"

Bob thought carefully. Then he smiled.

"I wanted to see Muta get sunburned."

Amaunet laughed a hearty laugh, and so did the rest of the forms (except Muta, who glared at Bob).

"Very well," she said.

She turned to leave.

"WAIT!" shrieked a voice.

Amaunet's face flushed.

"Oh no…" she groaned, and brown curly-haired young man with eyes like oval-cut amethysts appeared in a Greek robe that cut above his knees.

"Himeros!" Amaunet shook from rage, "How dare you show in our presence!!"

"I must have my say!!" Himeros said, "I object to this cruel operation!!"

"Don't push me around, Himeros!" barked Amaunet, drawing herself, "You're only a minor god!"

"I don't care! I object!"

"To what?"

"That," and Himeros' eyes glowed, "You are permitting Amon to trick Piccolo and Sotari into drinking the water of Lethe!"

His nostrils flared, and twin tiny spurts of purple fire flew out. Amaunet did not move. Himeros continued.

"I will not permit this! Aphrodite [and her sons] would agree with me! You cannot make two lovers forget their love after only just realizing it!"

His eyes narrowed.

"Those two have been through much and sorrow to meet the one they love. And they shall not, I repeated, shall not forget~!!!"

More fire flared from his nostrils and he threateningly waved a golden-plated, foot-long stick with a winged heart at the head of it.

"I demand that the plan be adjusted to fit the happiness of Sotari and Piccolo!!"

Amaunet narrowed her own golden, black-speckled eyes.

"But if Sotari and Piccolo remain conscious of their memories," Amaunet said coolly, "they shall be living proof that Futomi and Jito are not dead!"

"They will lose each other!" Himeros argued hotly, "Their love shall be hate! They shall destroy each other, if neither of them destroys the Earth first!"

"Piccolo and Sotari will die long before that worthless planet ends," Amaunet, now becoming irritated, "I'll see to it myself."

"You!!" shrieked Himeros, "A cruel, heartless goddess! Not worthy being the counterpart of Amon, the preform of Amun-Re, the Mighty Egyptian Sun God!!"

Amaunet threw him a scowl equal to the evil beauty stare of the Gorgons.

"I am Amuanet," she said, her voice slow and gathering volume and might, "I am the Queen of the Triad. I rule all who is below me, and I shall not heed the words of a mere cupid!"

She raised her arm to strike him, but another goddess came between them with her arms up.

"Wait!"

Her voice was like dark velvet, and the room grew quiet. The atmosphere seemed to grow sleepy and tranquil, and people stifled yawns. The goddess, whose hair was a soft gold and littered with gently dazzling silver stars, and whose lips and cheeks were rosy pink, and her face pale… This was the goddess Hespera. One of her soft pale hands reached out to Amaunet's golden sleeve. Like a child, she tugged on it gently. In contrast, Hespera was the innocent child and Amaunet was the cruel stepmother. A wave of tranquility swept over Amaunet, and she lowered her hand. She lowered her eyes, trying to avoid the painful gaze of Hespera's bright azurite-malachite eyes. A deep sense of shame came over the prouder goddess.

"I…I…"

For once, Amaunet was at a loss for words. Himeros was silent.

"I withdraw my angry words," said Amaunet, "But I do not retract the plan to make Sotari and Piccolo forget their experience."

Himeros opened his mouth to object, but Amaunet raised a hand.

"Wait," she said, "I did not mention I was willing to compromise that part of the plan."

"In what way?" Himeros immediately inquired.

"I will tell Amon to forget his trickery and allow Aeolis to command the task instead. Aeolis will use the Four Winds to sprinkle the water of Lethe on Sotari and Piccolo's heads. Piccolo and Sotari will not physically remember what happened in the past day, but the love that they revealed and shared will be acted upon on future meetings, though they will fail to find the reason for that. It is in this way that we both shall be satisfied."

Amaunet eyed Himeros shrewdly.

"Do you accept these terms?"

Himeros reflected briefly. He bowed low.

"I accept."

~

*

She was good

You know what I mean!

Summer Heat

Boy in the Mood

But, uh,

Those Summer Nights---!

*

~

Aeolis flew threw the night, riding upon the back of Notus, the South Wind. In his hand he carried a small, black urn filled nearly to the brim with the sapphire waters of Lethe, the River of Forgetfulness. He glanced below to check his distance. Yes, there was a beach… The god of wind caught sight of his target. He bade Notus to descend in a gentle spiral. Notus did so, and Aeolis was soon hovering over a sleeping couple.

As Aeolis uncapped the urn, he glimpsed at the couple, and couldn't help but feeling rather sorry for them. They seemed so peaceful in their sleep… The two were snuggled together, and the Namekian's arm was around the lady. Aeolis put aside his bag of winds; and, careful not to elbow his bag, he took a silver cup, dipped it into the urn, drew it out, and then gingerly sprinkled the water on the slumbering couple. They both stirred as the water noiselessly splashed on them. Though the water made no wetness, it was still cold, and could easily be felt. Aeolis stopped and waited; poised to leave instantly if they woke up.

They didn't. Aeolis breathed a small sigh of relief. He dismounted Notus. Then, after a long period of time, he managed to isolate each of them without disturbing their sleep. They lay side by side, separated by a good five feet. There was a reason for the distance, and Aeolis proved it. He picked up his bag and opened its mouth very, very carefully. The mouth was open not more than an inch when Bareas, the North Wind, slithered out as quick as lightning. Aeolis held up a stern finger. Bareas, though it could not be seen, its presence was felt, and it did not move.

"Bareas," Aeolis whispered to the North Wind, "I want you to carry the Namekian---as gently as you can---very far to the north. Don't go as far as Siberia, like you did last time…Rather, the Kita No Mountain Range. That's northern enough…"

He turned to the South Wind.

"Notus," he continued, "Take the lady Saiyajin. Be especially gentle---she's extremely sensitive. Take her back to the last place where she's been. That tree with the broken branch… Yes, that's good. I'll ride back on Zephyrus…"

He watched as the winds went about their business. Within a minute, they were no longer in sight. Aeolis opened his bag again, releasing the West Wind. He mounted, and then was gone…

That was it.

~

*

It turned colder

That's where it ends

So I told her

We'd still be friends

*

~

Sotari blinked; and shivered. It was freezing! She immediately sat up, rubbing her bare arms---Bare arms? She looked down.

"Oh my god!"

Not only was she sleeveless… Sotari stood up, furious.

"WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED!!!"

Her voice disturbed a flock of birds nearby. It was nearly noon, and the weather had taken a strange and rainy turn. Even under the tree, Sotari felt wet. She was barefoot, which made the cold freeze her feet as well.

"Where the hell did I get this dress!?!?" Sotari screamed at the birds.

The birds twittered. Sotari stamped her foot, trying to warm herself up. The smell of salt seemed to cling to her skin as she marched down the hill.

"What happened? Where have I been? I don't remember anything."

She halted at the bottom of the hill.

"This hill…I was here yesterday…"

A very small dot appeared in the sky above her head. Sotari took no notice, as she was occupied with her trying to recall yesterday's events.

"I don't remember anything…" she repeated, rubbing her temples, "I wonder what…"

The dot grew larger as it continued its descent.

"…And…Wait a moment!"

She held up her wrist to her nose and sniffed. Her face screwed up in scowl.

"Namekian!"

The dot was now an object, and it hit Sotari on the head.

"OUCH!"

It was surprisingly soft, and it bounced off her head. The object landed on the ground. Sotari looked at it.

"What the f---?"

She snatched it up. It was a doll! A rather idiotic doll…A Japanese man with painted red dots for cheeks. It was dressed in blue, black, and red, and its cloth hands held little flags inscribed in Japanese characters: "Hurrah! Love and Happiness! May You Have Many Children!" Sotari would've thrown it away in disgust if it hadn't looked so familiar. She peered at it closely. She even sniffed it…and instantly wrinkled her nose. Flower petals. Sugar. She gazed up at the sky, reflecting briefly.

Where did this come from?

Behind a cloud, a glitter, a twinkle… It caught Sotari's eye, and another sparkly thing suddenly burst from the cloud. It soared down to earth like a bright comet. Sotari held out her hand and caught it readily. Her eyes widened considerably. The object was a small yellow diamond, clasped to a thin chain. Sotari took in a deep breath.

"Well!"

She forgot about the cold for a moment.

…Piccolo…

Her eyes shot to the sky again. The cloud was gone.

"Strange…"

She turned the other way and flew up, clutching her possessions tightly. The 'cloud' appeared again, in a form of a girl with pink hair and cat ears. She giggled, and disappeared again.

~

*

Then we made our true love vow…

*

~

Piccolo's eyes were slow in opening. He awoke, but he lay, his cheek against hard stone, with his eyes closed, preferring to live the dream a little more…

She had kissed him. In the ocean. The moonlight… No stars…

He opened his eyes. No, only a dream.

…Only a dream…

He wished he could convince himself. Talking aloud could help. Piccolo sat up, cross-legged. When had he dozed off? He couldn't recall… The Namekian glanced at his surroundings. The Kita No Mountains… He hadn't been here in ages. Why was he here? Could he have possibly…?

The Namekian shook his head. It was impossible to explain; and he, so sorely confused. Something small fell into his lap. Piccolo did not flinch for a moment. His hand reached into his lap and closed his hand around the item. It felt hard. He drew it out and held it open in his palm. He stared. A yellow diamond. Piccolo's eyes swiftly searched the surrounding area while the rest of his senses were driven to hearing and sensing movement. Nothing… His eyes turned to the sky. Nothing.

"I'm seeing things."

How easily he could say that! But how… Piccolo examined the diamond closer. It was of good quality, obviously, and it was slightly opaque. It was attached to a thin, easily breakable chain.

"Useless human frivolity."

He kept it, though. Tucked in his sash. Then, he rose above the ground and started to meditate; however, something else landed at his feet. Piccolo allowed one eye to open. A velvety blue box. Irritated, Piccolo used his levitated powers to make it rise and hover in the air. He made the lid open, and a little slip of paper rested on a tiny pillow. Piccolo eyed the message.

"Love isn't as bad as you think. Have courage, and give it a chance."

Piccolo stared at it.

"Riiiiight."

The phrase echoed in his mind. When had he said that before? A green-haired kid…Dry white burgandy… What happened? Piccolo closed his eyes again, trying to block out the confusion. The lid of the box snapped shut, and it flew over to him. In his mind, Piccolo watched as the box slid into his sash and stayed there.

…One day…I'll remember what happened…And I'll know…

Sotari's face bobbed up again.

…I'll know it had to do with her

~

*

I wonder what she's doing now

Summer Dreams

Ripped at the seams

But, oh

Those Summer Nights!

*

~

Further Notes:

Sphalerite---a jewel with a composition of Zinc sulfide, its crystal structure is cubic, and has a hardness of 3.5 (meaning, it's very soft and is easily scratch). They are usually very dark brown to black, but are occasionally transparent, yellowish brown or green. The transparent stones (that are cuttable) are usually found in Spain and Mexico. It has good fire (meaning, a nice glow), and has a vitreous to a metallic luster (and visa versa). Is not to be used for jewelry, because of its perfect cleavage (study Earth Science) and surface softness.

Boreas---the Greek name for the Wind of the North

Notus---the Greek name for the South (or southeast, more strictly speaking) Wind

Zephyrus---West Wind. Yes, it's Greek.

Azurite---an azure blue copper mineral found in particular areas of Australia, Chile, China, Africa, and Russia. Its crystal structure is monoclinic, composition is copper hydroxycarbonate, luster vitreous, and a hardness of 3.5. Occasionally found in prismatic crystals, but are more commonly found in an banded or intergrown form with the mineral malachite.

Himeros---Minor Greek god of romantic longing

Aeolis---Greek god of wind and controller of the Bag of Four Winds

Lethe---one of the Five Rivers of Hades; the River of Forgetfulness

Malachite---A monoclinic structured stone, malachite is composed of copper hydroxycarbonate. Malachite has a hardness of 4, and its luster is vitreous to silky. The stone is usually found in opaque green masses, the color derived from copper. The crystals themselves are very small, so what is usually done with malachites is that they are polished it many ways to reveal alternating bands of light and dark green. Malachite is found in small quantities in all parts of the world and larger quantities where copper mining is concentrated. Zaire is the world's largest producer of malachite.

Amon (Egyptian)---was associated with the wind or things hidden

Amaunet (Egyptian)---female counterpart to Amon, who later became Amon-Re

Muta---minor Roman goddess of silence

Aphrodite---Greek goddess of love and passion; Roman is Venus. Though Aphrodite is married to Hephastus/Vulcan (the hunchback god who makes the lightning bolts of Zeus), she has various affairs with Ares and other gods, thus having many sons. In the Roman mythology, one of the most popular of her sons is Cupid (who marries a mortal-soon-turned-goddess-of-true-love Psyche). No evidence found (yet) if Himeros is one of her sons.

Sitala---a Hindu goddess of skin diseases, including smallpox

Aether---what the Greeks call 'Light'

Diamond---Cleavage: perfect basal. Fracture: Conchoidal. Found: ultrabasic rocks. Composition: Carbon. Hardness: 10. It is the hardest mineral in the world, and can only be scratched by another diamond. It is also one of the most popular gems in the jewelry world, and comes in a variety of colors: colorless (most widely found), white, gray, orange, red, pink, brown, yellow, black, blue, and green (the last eight colors are very rare---especially pink diamonds). Luster: adamantine to greasy. Whether a diamond is transparent or opaque (or anything in between) can also determine a diamond's value and pricing.

Gorgons---three sisters in Greek mythology that had the body of women, golden wings of eagles, golden razor claws of lions, and snakes for hair. Their faces were beautiful, but so hideous and evil that one glance would turn mortals to stone. Medusa was the youngest of these creatures, and she was slaughtered by Perseus (who was trying to win a bet to save his mother).

Yuquiye---Indian forest spirit; also, a famous national park and forest in Puerto Rico

Sarah Brightman---an opera singer who sings in Italian, Latin, and English

Hespera---(Greek) originally the goddess of the dawn, but then became Evening

Amethyst (Quartz)---Composed of silicon dioxide, the crystal structure of amethysts is trigonal. It has the unusual hardness of 7 (pretty hard to scratch it), and has a vitreous luster (very nice). This stone can be found in shades of purple, lilac, or mauve, and is found in geodes and alluvial deposits. It is very common jewel, and some of the largest geodes come from Brazil. Amethysts from Russia, however, have a reddish tinge, and Canadian ones are violet. When heat treated, amethysts can be turned into Citrine, the yellow variety of quartz.