Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Soul Blues for Nappa and Yamcha ❯ Yamcha's Blues over Bulma ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Yamcha's Blues over Bulma
By Trynia Merin
 
Disclaimer: I don't own Dragon Ball Z. Toriyama created it, and Toei Animation Co. Ltd owns it. I'm only borrowing the characters for this fan fiction. I own Stellari, Fermi and Bohr though. I make no money from this. It means no harm to the series or manga. Thanks for your continued support, Butterfly v!
***
 
Yamcha's sadness continued. His talk with Stellari only compounded the sorrow, but did prompt him to consider confronting Bulma on her choice of husband. He had never bothered to sit down and talk to her at great length, deciding to play the concerned but distant friend instead. Waiting for her to come to her senses and come to him.
 
She never did. The inexplicable bond with Vegeta kept her busy in addition to her presidential duties at Capsule. Armed with a few baby gifts, Yamcha decided on the direct approach finally. A day after his conversation with Stellari, he left a message for Bulma that he was coming to visit and chat about old times.
 
He entered the house as he often did before. Sitting in the vast living room he remembered how it had changed since he had first spent time there. Bulma's personal touch had slowly asserted itself among Mrs. Brief's own expensive tastes. The security guard had allowed him in, saying that Bulma had been expecting him.
 
"Oh, there you are! She's just out on the veranda with Trunksy!" Mrs. Briefs said as she wandered in with a tray of coffee.
 
"How is she doing?"
 
"Just fine, handsome, just fine! It's a surprise to see you coming around here after so long. It's been close to a year almost!"
 
"I wanted to visit the kiddo. I've got a few things he might like," said Yamcha. "And well, I haven't exactly taken this too well… I want to reconnect."
 
"Right this way," Mrs. Briefs waved him on. He wandered after the shapely blonde socialite, to the spacious veranda in back of the huge domed mansion.
 
Out in the sun Bulma typed on her laptop, while Trunks sat in a large playpen punching keys on what looked like a toy computer. Intense blue eyes gazed at his 'project' while Bulma dictated something to her secretary sitting nearby.
 
"Bulma dearie! Your visitor's here!"
 
"Hey Babe, looking good," Yamcha waved, and Bulma stood up with a warm smile.
 
"Well well, long time no see. What's kept you away?" she asked. "I was just about to eat lunch."
 
"Glad you wanted to see me at all. You've been so busy, and I never had the chance to see this handsome little guy! He's got your hair, and your daddy's good looks," Yamcha commented, leaning down to make faces at Baby Trunks. Bulma leaned down to pick him up out of the playpen and settle him on her hip.
 
"Miss, I'll see you in the office tomorrow," Bulma said to her secretary.
 
"Right Mrs. Briefs," the attractive young man nodded. He walked past Yamcha and cast him a nod.
 
"What on earth did you do to your hair?" Bulma chuckled.
 
"Decided it was getting in the way," Yamcha chuckled back, running a hand through the teased spiky mass.
 
"It looks… very trendy. And I see your taste in clothes is as unique as ever. You look good in yellow," said Bulma wolf whistling at his suit.
 
"And you look great! I can't believe you lost the baby weight. One of my teammate wives said it took her forever. Bulma, you look very pretty… but you cut YOUR hair too!"
 
"It's easier to deal with like this. I hated the poodle look. It was a good transition haircut, but I prefer it long and straight," Bulma said, fluffing it out. She had the sides pulled up in a simple silver barrette with pieces of turquoise, letting the back hang freely around her shoulders.
 
"Hey there sport! Your Uncle Yamcha's got something special for you! I know it's pretty early, but I figure he can use his own slugger and catcher's mit…" said Yamcha as he set the box down. He held up a small baby sized Taitans T shirt and Bulma chuckled.
 
"Oh that's cute! It'll make a nice sleepshirt for him! I swear he's growing right under my nose," said Bulma.
 
"Man, I'm sorry I have 't been around, but I just… had to see if you were doing okay. With being a mom and all," said Yamcha.
 
"Well I AM surprised you wanted to have lunch out of the blue. I mean it's been a while since you've even talked on the phone. You look like you've bulked up a bit. Training's going all right?" Bulma asked.
 
"Well, to tell you the truth Bulma, I was a bit worried that things were okay with you and… Vegeta," said Yamcha, swallowing hard and deciding to cut to the chase. "I mean I am your friend, and I want to make sure…"
 
"I figured you'd ask that," she sighed.
 
"I mean I accept that you're married and all, but I just wanted to make sure you were all right. Is he…"
 
"He's good to me, yes," said Bulma, answering his question.
 
"I probably don't have the right to ask, considering I just popped up out of nowhere and assumed we were still together, but I always wondered… why…" he said.
 
"Why I chose to marry a mass murderer? Is that what you're going to ask?" Bulma said calmly.
 
"Well yes, I mean c'mon Bulma, I might not be dating you anymore but we've known each other since we were teenagers and I think I deserve some explanation, for old time's sake," said Yamcha, looking her right in the eye. Bulma was surprised pleasantly by the new display of backbone. Instead of worrying about her reaction, he had cut to the chase.
 
"Yamcha, after all this time you ask me now?" she finally said.
 
"Yes. As a concerned friend. I'm not coming here trying to steal you back or make you 'come to your senses'. Considering that he and that other dude almost killed you guys…"
 
"There's a good reason for it Yamcha," said Bulma. "He and I… we're alike."
 
"That goes without saying," said Yamcha. "But I never figured you'd get married. I mean for a long time you and I dated on and off, and the more time I got to know you the more I realized that you weren't the sort of gal who would just be happy 'settling down' being a wife and kids."
 
"That's the first time you admitted that openly," she said softly.
 
"I'm not done," Yamcha said firmly. "What I was trying to say was, why him? Is it the prince thing, or the bad boy thing?"
 
"If you want to know the truth, it wasn't out of love," Bulma said. "Not at first."
 
"Then he was just someone you turned to because you were lonely? Because I was dead?" asked Yamcha, thrusting hands into his pockets. "I guess I can understand that, but he's not the sort that strikes me as the family type! What if he's just using you?"
 
"Yamcha, Yamcha," she sighed. "We're married!"
 
"You just wanted somebody you could have a kid with, is that it?" Yamcha asked. "I guess I shouldn't have expected that you'd choose me. But it really hurts, you know. I could have given you that! I could have bought the fact that you wanted a kid, but then you go and Marry Vegeta? Why?"
 
"Because… it's best for everyone," said Bulma.
 
"I should know better then to ask if he forced you, because I can't imagine Bulma Briefs letting any man twist her arm. But still he's... Vegeta!"
 
"He helped Krillen and Gohan on Namek. Sure he did it for selfish reasons, but he and I…"
 
"Was it because he needed you more then me? That you wanted to somehow save his tortured soul? Was THAT it?" asked Yamcha.
 
Uncomfortably Bulma glared at him, holding Trunks to him. She blinked at her friend in shock, realizing he had cut to the quick. He wasn't stupid at all; in fact he had more insight then she often gave him credit for. Instead she said, "It's not really your business… is it?"
 
"It is. For old time's sake Bulma, I want to know. Please?" said Yamcha. "As one of your oldest friends… next to Goku and Oolong… was it because he forced you? I hope not."
 
"It wasn't love at first. It was to survive," Bulma said quickly.
 
"So, I was right. He's just using you," said Yamcha. His scarred cheek twisted up in a triumphant smirk. From his height of six feet he topped her by a head at least. Bulma stepped backwards a bit from the air of confidence he radiated. Gone was the waffling playboy, replaced with a self-assured warrior ready to do battle with any menace.
 
"So what if he is? I've grown to love him," Bulma answered.
 
"You're really something Bulma. Here you could have had any man on this planet you wanted, and you picked a mass murderer Prince of a dead race. I guess you did find what you'd wished for all along," Yamcha shook his head. Pity shone in his dark eyes, instead of anger or resentment.
 
"And what's THAT supposed to mean?" Bulma asked, her eyes narrowed to blue slits.
 
"You wanted the perfect boyfriend. The perfect man. Ideals so out there that nobody could possibly live up to it. For years I tried to be that perfect man, and I ALWAYS fell short. I guess I realize now how foolish that was for my to try and fit myself to your mold," said Yamcha.
 
"I'm sorry but this is the way it is. There's no point in hashing it out. It's in the past…"
 
"Yeah, but I want to clear the record. Get it all off my chest, Bulma. I still care about you, as a friend who's known you for half your life. And I'm worried that you're going to regret this. That he'll leave you when he's gotten what he's wanted," said Yamcha.
 
"Yamcha, it's what I want," said Bulma. "I don't have to justify my choices to anyone."
 
"Maybe not, but I guess I just wondered how you could do that. Accept a man who's incapable of love, of giving you any sort of affection. But I guess that's not what you wanted," said Yamcha.
 
"Yamcha, why DID you come here, to insult me?" Bulma glared at him.
 
"No. To get things clear. To know why. I guess I could have figured it out in time," Yamcha murmured sadly. "You wanted someone that I could never be. I know that now. I'm only sorry that I wasn't the man you chose, but seeing you now…"
 
"And what do you see, Yamcha?" she asked, in a low quiet voice.
 
"Someone I care for greatly who might end up alone," said he.
 
"I'm his mate. I took his offer to survive. And you know what, I'll be the first to admit I was wrong and I WAS looking for a man that didn't exist. But I can't explain why I fell in love…"
 
"You wanted the bad boy. What is it with you women and 'bad boys'? Is it because you like a challenge something you can tame? Is it because you're basing a relationship on how much you're needed cause you're afraid that there's no chance he'll stick around? Because if that's love, Bulma, then I want no part of it and I'm GLAD I'm not with you now. I feel sorry for you… if that's what you've wanted all these years, Bulma."
 
"You have no right to judge me. You know NOTHING about Vegeta. You don't know what you're talking about! I love him, and he loves me, in his own way."
 
"In his own way? What kind of a father will he be for Trunks?"
 
"That will be his say and mine. Now if you insist on insulting me, I'll have to ask you to leave," Bulma said angrily.
 
"I guess I'd better. You and Vegeta ARE perfect for each other, the more I think about it. Because in your own way you're just as cold and inaccessible as he is," said Yamcha.
 
"EXCUSE me? You'd better watch your mouth!"
 
"What ever happened to the girl which wanted to be loved? I could have loved you. I DID love you for nearly fifteen years, Bulma. And then you had some complex about ME changing? You've changed as well. Perfectly content to see the world in the way YOU want it. You're selfish and spoiled Bulma. If you don't get your way everything's wrong with the world. Now you have what you wanted. Your handsome prince. And you're welcome to him. If I didn't still care for you I wouldn't be here… trying to get you to see what you've become…"
 
"You'd better leave now, Yamcha," said Bulma angrily. "Before I have you thrown out!"
 
"Have a nice life, Bulma. I only hope that I'm still here willing to listen when he breaks your heart," said Yamcha quietly.
 
"Get out, now," Bulma snapped.
 
"I'm going. I know the way," said Yamcha bitterly. He took two steps forward, then blasted off from the back veranda. Soon he was only a shimmering star in the distant sky. Bulma let the hot tears drip down her cheeks that she had held back.
 
"Stupid bastard," she mumbled.
***
"He said WHAT?" Raditz asked, slamming his fist down on the tabletop. She flinched, to his sorrow.
 
"Don't blow a fuse, Raditz, you asked, I'm telling," said Stellari, rolling her eyes.
 
"He had no right to show such possession. And you didn't have to explain anything to him, Stellari," Raditz answered. "Our relationship is NONE of his business."
 
"You're right, but the kids…"
 
"Come with me. We need to discuss this elsewhere," said Raditz. He rose from the chair, pushing away from the table. Bending over he swept Stellari up and walked out of the restaurant to the stares and chuckles of everyone.
 
"Hey now wait a minute," she spluttered.
 
"We will discuss this elsewhere," said Raditz.
 
Once they were outside he set her down under a tree. Stellari puffed out her cheeks and glared at him impatiently. Raditz paced a half circle and then stopped. "He has no business around them now. I will not have him mooning around like a lost puppy. There's no telling what he could do in his jealousy! My instincts scream that he's a threat!"
 
"Raditz, calm down!" she said.
 
"You owe him nothing. And if I see him around you or your family I won't hesitate to kill him," said Raditz.
 
"You can't do that," said Stellari.
 
"It is my right as a Saiyan warrior. My pride will not tolerate you putting yourself in foolish situations," said Raditz. "Now you'll listen to me… you are MINE, and as such you will…"
 
"I AM listening to you. And you ARE right, I AM yours, but I am NOT property. I'm your wife, but not your slave," said Stellari firmly. "Let's get THAT clear!"
 
"You misunderstand," Raditz answered. "Saiyan males are very possessive of their mates. It's difficult to change the habits of a lifetime. And I think we need to leave now."