Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Therapy ❯ Mirai Trunks ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: *Shrugs* I suppose you just never know....

A/N: I was thinking the other day about how in another week or so, this will be the only fic still going since shortly after I started posting. I just want to take this moment to tell all of you how much I appreciate the support and to tell you about my issues with meat loaf. What is up with meat loaf? It's meat, but it's a loaf. But a loaf is bread. But it's still a loaf. It's just...well...it's just not right. That's all. Meat loaf is of the devil and that's all I have to say on the subject. ^_^ Oh! Be sure to enjoy this chapter. It was a long time in coming, I know.

*******

Well, it had been another long day. I had just recently been hired by my college as an official tutor, like they thought I was smart or something. Anyway, not only that, but right about the time I had gotten comfortable with my work, I was given the Friday shift. Now, at my college, we don't have regular classes on Fridays. No, Fridays are for classes that meet only once a week, and they were let out by noon. Therefore, I was let go at noon as well. No big, except I had to come in at eight. And since no one had liked the previous tutor, it ended up that I had nothing to do but study, read, or write fics for four whole hours a week when I could have been sleeping, recovering from staying on the computer until two a.m. after having sparred for an hour in karate class the night before. Am I complaining? You bet I am. Then again, I was getting paid.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. By the time I had gotten home, I was exhausted. I drug myself into the house, feeling absolutely terrible because I had missed DBZ that day. To ease the pain of my loss, I got online. Of course, getting online always cheers me.

I was surfing away, dreaming of a nap, when my bestest chica, Jadedbest, got online. I told her I had had a very traumatizing experience that day and she laughed at me. I couldn't believe it! My chica was laughing at my anguish! When I finally got her calmed down enough to realize the seriousness of my situation, she told me to get offline so she could call and get the story straight from my mouth with all the emotions contained therein.

Sighing, I got offline, went to my room, and grabbed up the cordless phone before lying on my bed. I sure had been looking forward to that nap. Now it seemed it would never come to be. Then again, how many naps have I actually gotten since you started reading this crazy little fic?

I waited and waited, and before I knew it, I had wandered off to Dreamland. Just as I was dreaming about what I would let Kenshin do to me with that really amazing "sword" of his, the phone rang. Just my luck....

Basically I answered it and started telling my long and woeful tale. "Yeah, well, when I went out to the car, I opened the door, put my junk in the passenger's seat and got in. While I was getting everything situated beside me, I turned to close the door, and the key...went bye-bye," I explained.

"In your Dad's newest Altima?!" she questioned unbelievingly.

"Pretty much," I sighed heavily. "Of all the things to happen. It had to be me to lose the key in the emergency brake's housing." I chuckled humorlessly. "At least if I had to lose the key, I did a good job. I've never heard of someone doing that one before. Maybe it's an original or something."

"Maybe," she commented. "So you were stuck at school how long?"

"I got off at noon, lost the key around 12:10 and left a little after five. All the while it was freezing cold outside and now I-...I-..." I sneezed. "I think I have a cold."

"My poor chica!" Well, at least she was sympathetic. Then again, was that snickering I heard in the background while I was talking? Just wait until she told me about her next bad day. I'll get even then. Just watch and see.

"So I missed DBZ, lost the key to the car, got Mom really pissed off at me, I know Dad's going to kill me, and to top it all off, in the end I had to have the car towed. And now I have to pay for that too. Is it just me or does life really suck right now?" I questioned, hoping she might have some words of wisdom to lift my spirits.

"Yeah, pretty much," Jadedbest concurred.

"Hey! You're not supposed to agree with me!" I barked into the phone. Doesn't she know how this best friend thing works?! When I'm upset and say things like "life sucks" she's supposed to disagree with me and tell me no matter what, I'm a wonderful person and things will eventually work out for me in the end. That's how it's supposed to go! Maybe I should resend her that copy of the "Best Friends" memo.

"Uh...sorry," she offered.

I frowned at the wall. That was just wrong. I sighed loudly. "Some great help you are," I mumbled into the phone as my eyes drifted over the pictures covering my closet door.

"Oh! Did I tell you-" she started in on some story about her day. Honestly, I tuned her out. What did I care that she had a good day? Mine had totally stunk. And she had laughed at me. That was just wrong. So wrong.

Adding in the appropriate "Uh huh", "Yeah" and "I completely agree" in all the right places, I began daydreaming as the voice in my ear droned on and on about how much she hated her brother at that moment, like that was something new or something.

When I tuned back into her story, she was getting to the part where her mom was yelling at her brother for something. Again.

Just as my dark mood was lifting, listening to her hilarious account of her mom's side of the argument, I heard a knock at my bedroom door.

Sighing loudly, I pulled the phone from my mouth and yelled, "What do you want?!" No reply sounded, save that of a soft knock once again.

I frowned at the door. I knew that wasn't my baby brother. He wasn't tall enough to knock that high, yet Mom never knocked in that style. The only people I knew who knocked on my door in that fashion were my father and Amanda, my other best friend. Dad was at work, and Amanda shouldn't be over. Right?

"Hang on," I requested into the phone as I walked to the door to open it. Turning the knob with my left hand, the phone in my right, I opened it slightly to see who was on the other side.

Just a small peek was all I needed as I slammed the door in the person's face and lifted the phone back to my ear. "Ohmigod! It's Trunks! Mirai Trunks is here!" I squealed into Jadedbest's ear.

Of course she had to reply. "Ohmigosh, ohmigosh, OHMIGOSH!!!" she yelled at deafening decibels. "You're kidding me, right?!"

"No, chica," I replied. "No kidding. He's standing right outside my bedroom door right now!"

I could hear her excitement through the line. "He's still outside your door? Are you mad?! Let him in!"

After a moment of processing that, I replied, "Uh...yeah.... Right! I should let him in! And you need to go now. Sorry chica, I'll fill you in later. Love you and byes!" As I pulled the phone away from my ear, I heard her say something about gas but paid her no mind as I opened the door again, blushing at my earlier comments. He had to have heard my freak session through the paper-thin door.

"Hi," I started. "My name is Mar and I'm terribly sorry to have kept you waiting." I opened the door wide. "Would you like a seat?" I motioned toward the bed.

Trunks smiled and nodded his head as he made his way over to the bed and took his seat. I, of course, followed him and took a seat beside him. Mirai Trunks was on my bed, and I was there beside him. We were on my bed at the same time! Hmm...could this get any better? "So, why are you here? Is there something I can do for you?" I asked him innocently. With a guy this hot, I could think of quite a few things I'd be willing to do to help him. Bad Mar! I really do need to work on how much of my thoughts I share with others....

"Well," Trunks started, giving me a small smile. "As you can probably guess, I'm Mirai Trunks." I nodded. I wasn't about to interrupt him, not when I could be listening to that soft, raspy voice drawl out...well, pretty much anything he liked. "And I came back to help everyone fight against Cell. Dad and I are scheduled to go into the Hyperbolic Time Chamber to train tomorrow, but he and Mom both thought coming to see you first would do me a lot of good. Something about clearing my mind of my worries and guilt so I could focus on my training." He shrugged. "I don't exactly get it, but I came anyway."

"I see," I stated simply. Somehow I was enjoying just watching him. Something about that simple act made my entire car ordeal vanish from my mind completely as his gentle voice soothed my frustration-frayed nerves. "So, you're Mirai Trunks, eh?"

Trunks nodded. "Yeah, that's me. I'm sure you know the chibi...." Was that said with a little dread? Was he ashamed to admit to that adorable child being his younger self? Naw, couldn't be. It wasn't like the child was pure evil or anything. He had Bulma's genes in him, which would hopefully tone down his father's, or better yet, totally bury them except in his looks.

I was feeling generous, so I decided I would actually try my best to help this young man who was obviously in dire need of my expertise, even if he was a walk-in, and you know how I feel about walk-ins. I quickly came up with a line of thought that would hopefully help me with in getting his problem out in the open. The quicker I helped him resolve whatever childhood issues he had, the sooner we could move on to other things. Like getting to know each other better.... Sorry, I just keep giving you way too much information. Don't I?

"Well, let's start with you telling me a little more about what it's like for you back home. What is your world like?" I suggested. Now, I had seen, and even own, the video "The History Of Trunks", which showed exactly what life was like in the Mirai timeline. My reasons for asking him were twofold though. First, I wanted to hear it all through his eyes. I needed to know how he felt about things. That might give me a clue as to his real problem and/or how to help him. The second, well, the more I made him talk, the longer he was going to stay at my house...in my room...on my bed. Hmm...I just sighed at the thought as I'm typing this encounter up. Is that a bad thing?

"All right. I can do that," Trunks agreed. He was going to do it! Oh, sorry...getting carried away again.

"Back home things are pretty different. Most of the Z-senshi died long before my memory. Mom says when the androids came they killed everyone from Dad to Yamcha and Krillin. Goku died of that heart virus in my timeline, so he wasn't there to stop those monsters." He took a deep breath. This young man certainly was very emotional. I frowned at the thought. He wasn't gay.... Was he?

I choose that moment to interrupt. "So, let me get this straight. All the Z-fighters are dead. Correct?"

"Correct."

"Okay," I paused. "If that's the case, how did you ever learn things like flying and ki control, things no human other than Goku's friends knew? That doesn't make any sense whatsoever."

"Oh...well, not everyone died," he explained. "Chi-Chi refused to let Gohan fight the Androids while he was a child. Instead, he trained very hard and waited for the day when he would be as strong as his father had been. Strong enough to defeat them. He was the only one left. Well, he and myself that is. We were all that was left over of the group who had defeated Frieza.... We were the Earth's last hope," he added in sadly.

I lifted a brow. "Okay...so what happened? Was he successful? Did he defeat them?"

Trunks sadly raised his cornflower eyes to mine and shook his head. "No. He wasn't strong enough. He tried, but in the end..." he let his sentence hang. I knew what had happened and had a very good idea how he felt about it all. He had been really close to Gohan. Poor guy.

Picking back up, Trunks continued his yarn with, "Gohan fought them for a long time before I was thirteen and decided to join him. He and Mom tried to make me stop, but I just couldn't. I could not just sit back and watch while those atrocious bots from hell ravaged my home. I had to do something. I had to help. I knew somehow my fighting could make the difference, swing the pendulum of luck in our favor." He took a shuddery breath. "I was young and a fool. I only ended up causing the death of my sensei and best friend. Our last hope."

I had seen the movie. Yeah, Trunks had disobeyed Gohan and gotten him hurt, but it had been Gohan's decision to face the Androids again before being fully healed. What's more, it was Gohan's choice to go without Trunks. Gohan had sacrificed himself. No one was to blame. He knew he was going to his death and had met it head-on. No way was this poor lad to blame. Yet his heart was filled with self-blame.

"Trunks, can you continue?" I asked him after his pause. I had noticed he was trying his best to pull himself back together and had given him ample time to do so. Now it was time for him to continue. On with the story.

"Yes, I suppose I have no choice," Trunks responded. Now there was a go-getter. "Anyway, with Dad gone, having been defeated long ago, the main reason behind my having grown so close to Gohan to begin with, and then he being...murdered...I was alone. I had to fight and the Androids somehow. I had to free the earth, and I had to keep such a tragedy like them from happening to anyone else. I was lost and alone. I knew I hadn't a chance in HFIL at beating them in my state, a fact my mother well recognized, so I stayed at home and hide like a dog with my tail between my legs until I was old enough and strong enough to fight.

"Finally I was sixteen and fully grown. I had been hiding in the shadows too long, and my people needed me. So I left the safety of the ruined Capsule Corps building and flew out to meet the abominations head-on, only to discover that while I might be old enough, I was no where near strong enough to do more than annoy them. I wasn't even as strong as Gohan had been when he had lost his life. Through some miracle, I survived, and when I had finished healing, I agreed to help Mom with her plan."

I nodded my head slightly, eyes glued on those luscious lips of his. I mean, I was hooked on his story and listening closely, trying to dredge out any information that might later prove useful in helping this young man. Oh, who am I kidding? I was thinking about how great it would be to attack him right then and there. To just climb in his lap, passionately kiss those lips, and do things to him that would make him forget all about that nasty ol' world he was from. My biggest desire was to take care of him, in more ways than one. Happy now? Now you know the truth. But who out there can really blame me? Now, maybe that I've gotten that out of my system I can finish out my story without it gnawing at the back of my consciousness. Who am I kidding? That's a lost cause, kinda like the one of getting over calling Krillin short. There is no end. So, now - as before - on with the story.

"So, what was your mom's great scheme?" I asked. Somewhere in the back of my mind I knew what it had been. I have seen the movie at least a hundred times after all. It was just that after seeing Gohan die, I had always been too emotional to comprehend the ending. Hmm...I wonder if that's a bad thing....

"Well," Trunks picked back up. "She had been working for years on a time machine. She wanted one of us to travel back in time and give Goku an antidote she had made for the heart virus that had killed him in our time. We knew it wouldn't change anything for us, but it would help all our friends and loved ones, including my father, Gohan, and ourselves in another timeline. Finally, I was strong enough and went back to carry out my mission, killing Frieza in the process. I finally got to see my sensei again, even if he was just a kid.

"After carrying out my task, I went back home for a time before I traveled back to see my friends. That pretty much brings us up to now," he looked at me, waiting for my analysis. "Now I'm sitting here with you before going off to train for the fight against Cell. And I had thought the Androids were bad news...."

In a deep trance, I nodded, eliciting a curiously raised brow from the young man. Sorry, but it was all I could do at the moment. I was caught between my fantasies of him and trying to figure out what to say. I had a pretty good idea of why he was here. He had guilt issues. Finally I raised my eyes to his and gave a small smile, "Very well, put. You're a pretty good story-teller."

"Thank you," Trunks responded with a slight blush on his cheeks. Oo! He was just as shy and emotional in real life as the portrayal of him on that movie! How adorable! I just wanted to eat him up! Seriously!

"So, do you know why everyone wanted me to come here and talk to you?" Trunks questioned.

Frowning in thought for a moment, (Don't forget that really does hurt my poor wittle head.) I answered him. "I think so. Trunks, you have a few issues you need to deal with before you're ready to train and do battle with Cell. You have too much emotional baggage to fully concentrate on training to become an effective warrior in the fight. Your mother and father realized this. That is why they sent you to me."

"Oh?" he questioned with that cutely lifted brow of his. "Would you care to explain?"

"Sure thing," I nodded in response. "The first word we need to discuss is `fault'. Therein lies the secret to most of your baggage. You feel responsible for Gohan's death, a death executed by two androids, not you. You did not - I repeat, DID NOT - cause Gohan's demise. He and he alone was responsible for his destiny. Gohan knew when he took his father's place as the Earth's protector, that it could very well cost him his life. He was willing to pay that price for you and everyone else he loved. Gohan died doing what was right. He went down fighting. He died with honor," I stopped for effect. I wanted that last bit to sink into the thick-skulled Saiyan's head before I continued.

"Instead of blaming yourself for his death, maybe you should try a more optimistic approach," I suggested. "Gohan was able to die a warriors' death. No warrior truly wants to grow old and fade away into nothing, to be come weak and unable to do anything to help. Instead of becoming old and decrepit, unable to even bathe himself, Gohan was able to give all he had for you, his family. His last act was nothing less than a testament to his unwavering love and devotion to you. It was a memorial, a monumental sacrifice. Be glad he was given that chance to prove it to you all. Be glad he was willing to fight at all. He didn't have to. No one made him.

"Take his death, and your father's, and decide that you will not fall so easily. Use them as inspiration. Learn from their mistakes and use that knowledge to become the warrior they never had the chance to be. Make them proud. Make yourself a monument to them as they made themselves a monument to you."

I took this chance to climb off my soapbox and wait Trunks out. During my long sermon, he had begun crying and was trying desperately to get his emotions under control at that moment. I knew I had touched a nerve. Then again, that was exactly what my speech had been meant for. I had told him things he needed to hear. He needed to know he was not to blame and also some encouragement to grow and reach so he might achieve more than any before him in his timeline had. Deep down, he had the potential. He was, after all, Vegeta's son.

Do you guys realize this is the most serious I've ever been during a session? Well, I thought I'd make an entire little paragraph to point that out to you. Well, enjoy the rest of the chapter. You know there has to be some more humor out there somewhere in this. Right? Right. Otherwise you wouldn't still be reading this, my humor fic.

Trunks was still a sniffling mess. With a sympathetic sigh, I reached over to my nightstand and picked up the roll of toilet paper I keep there. (It's for make-up and cleaning. Sheesh people! I do have a bathroom you know!) Pulling a few sheets off, I handed them to the young man to wipe his eyes. Gotta love toilet paper. It's the greatest.

After wiping his face and blowing his nose, Trunks sheepishly raised his eyes to mine. "You must think I'm a crybaby now...."

I shook my head. "No. I don't think you're a crybaby `now.' I knew you were a crybaby before this last little episode. But I won't hold it against you, so don't you worry."

Trunks gave me a thankful smile and chuckled. "I don't know whether to be relieved or offended."

I shrugged. "Whichever. I'm always really good with the cut-downs and whatnot. Just anytime you need someone to kick you in the balls, let me know. I'll be more than happy to do it."

Finally, Trunks gave me a humored smile. I just hate seeing people cry. That's why I had been so `mean'. "All right, hippiechick. Will do," he confirmed.

"Back to business," I started again. "I basically have two things to tell you. The first is `stop being so hard on yourself.' It doesn't do a thing for you to put the world on your shoulders. Trust me, you can't carry it all by yourself. If you try, you'll be eaten alive by guilt. [censored ^_^] happens. You just have to learn to deal with it."

Trunks was nodding his understanding and agreement. He wasn't going to fight me. I was certainly thankful for the small blessings in life. I just love it when patients let me be the therapist and listen to my advice. More importantly, I like it when they do as I say. Unfortunately, this case looked like that latter would be the difficult part. I know this because I have a tendency to try and carry it all too. Not a good habit.

"The second thing I want you to think on can be summed up in a single word." I paused for effect. "Optimism. Stop looking at all the bad around you, and begin looking, actively searching for the good. Sure, you lost Vegeta, your father, and Gohan, but you had the most amazing father figure imaginable in Gohan, no matter how short a time. And don't forget you still have your mother, who you happen to be very close to. Do you really think you'd be so close to her had the world not gone mad? I doubt it. You'd have been more worried about training and other Saiyan things.

"Not only do you have those things to be thankful for, but you were allowed the opportunity to change the future for the people you care for most. Very few people are ever allowed that chance. While in this new timeline, you have made new friends and gotten reacquainted with old ones. This is a blessing indeed. Plus to top it all off, you got to kill Frieza. Good work, Trunks," I finished off my second speech of the day. I seem to be on a roll. Then again, that new soapbox I borrowed from my father is pretty awesome. It gives a whole new perspective on the world.

Slowly, Trunks nodded his head again. "I think I understand what you mean," he spoke softly, though his tone and face both spoke volumes to his comprehension of my diagnosis and treatment. He got it.

"So...you going to sit here all day or get yourself to some training?" I asked the frozen Trunks. Sometimes thinking can be a bad thing. In this case, he didn't need to dwell on my words too long immediately. No, they would be much more effective if he would think on small portions of my wisdom for short periods of time over the next few days, taking their lessons to heart. That would be much more beneficial.

Trunks smiled at me. "No, I guess not. I probably should be on my way." He stood and stretched his arms over his head, pulling his shirt taunt over rippling abs, taunting me. That is so not right. It's just not fair when you're stuck with a really hot guy you'd love to jump, and you can't because you know you'd feel somewhat guilty later. Well, I figured I'd just wait for the spoiled, chibi version to grow up. He would be a good target. Open Trunks season. I'm still grinning at that thought.

I rose to stand beside the lavender-haired prince. "Well, it was very nice meeting you. I would say `I hope you come back,' but that might be misconstrued into something not so good."

"I know what you mean," Trunks replied with a chuckle. "Well, I guess I should be on my way. I have lots of training, tons of preparations for Cell, and very little time to get it all together."

"I totally understand," I stated as we walked through my home to the back door. "I wish you the best of luck." I opened the door and stepped out onto the porch, Trunks right behind me.

"Thank you. I'm sure we'll need it," Trunks muttered.

I gave him my best encouraging smile. "Luck has nothing to do with it. You got skillz."

Trunks chuckled and shook his head at my stupidity. "Not yet. Gotta train with Dad for those."

"Okay," I stood uncomfortably beside him, not knowing what to say or do. Finally I bit my lip in determination and just did the thing I'd had on my mind for a while. I hugged him. "Go get `em," I encouraged as I released him, after a very long, extremely joyous ten minutes I might add.

Trunks nodded again. "All right. Goodbye" He then turned his head to the sky and began lifting off the ground. When at a good height, he turned, waved and began heading for wherever he was supposed to be.

"TRUNKS!!!!!" a very loud voice called as a car door slammed in my drive. Who on earth knew Trunks was at my house and would scream out his name upon touching the ground? As the girl rounded the corner of my home, running of course, I knew who it was.

"Jadedbest!!!" I called out a greeting, only to have her run straight past me to stare at the Trunks vanishing from sight.

"TRUNKS!!!!! COME BACK!!!!!!" she wailed in misery as he disappeared from view completely.

I shook my head. That truly was sad. Utterly pathetic.

Realizing Trunks was out of sight and not turning back, Jadedbest turned her attention on me, her eyes narrowed. "How could you just let him get away like that?!"

"Uh..." I really didn't know what to say. How was this my fault again? "Jadedbest, I didn't even know you were coming. You live a million miles from here. How was I to know you'd show up at my house? You've never come visit before. I didn't know you even knew where I lived. That map wasn't exactly detailed."

"It's Trunks!" she replied like that should clarify everything for me.

"Yes...I do realize that," I sighed. I could tell from the look in her eyes, it was a lost cause. I hadn't a snowball's chance at getting through to her. I also happened to realize at that moment it happened to be rather cold outside and I was shivering. I had been sneezing earlier and felt another round coming on.

"Jadedbest." I put my arm around her shoulders. "Let's go inside and get ourselves something to drink. Trunks is gone and not coming back for a while. The next time he calls in to make an appointment, I'll be sure to let you know."

"You better," she threatened me in reply. I have the most loving friends on Earth. You just don't know.

"All right. Now let's go. It's cold out here, I'm thirsty, and I want to hear all about your trip down here, especially how you found my house. No one can find my house." I opened the back door for her and gently shoved her inside, closing it behind myself when I followed, sneezing again as I did. This cold was going to be with me for a while. I just knew it.

Well, that's just about it. Needless to say, I'm rather glad Jadedbest was a little late. I mean, Mirai Trunks had enough problems without adding on a crazed fan that would more than happily become his stalker if I let her. The poor dear. He just wasn't in the emotional state to deal with that. Then again, I don't think anyone is....

*******

A/N: So, did you like it? What did you all think about my insane friends? Oh, Jadedbest in this story is the same as on this site. She's crazy! Then again, aren't all my friends? Check back next time for another session. I do have more planned. ^_^ Laterz! Oh! And REVIEW!!!!!!