Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Try Again ❯ Un-gokuish ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Try again

AN: This is still AU, a story set in the 21st century where no beings possess superhuman powers. It's basically the old story but with a totally new concept since I was more and more annoyed by the old one and finally tried to change things.

Bulma and Vegeta are both about 17 years old, while Goku and Yamcha are in their early twenties. The ages of the other characters are somewhere in between.

Nothingness. Everything would eventually disappear, whether we cared or not, feared the constant absence of a thing or person or welcomed it. Be the amount of time long or short, in the end, it would all come down to the obligatory ashes to ashes, dust to dust.

Comforting, isn't it?

Ah, sometimes I enjoy being shallow, indulging in thoughts I normally despise in the pseudo-intellectuals who frequently voice them, sporting the smug expression that appears to be a distinctive mark of those who are convinced to be god's gift to humanity. Hypocrite, am I not? But at least I don't claim to have found the ultimate truth…

Impressive little display, wasn't it? Well, to anyone with limited usage of brain that is, but isn't the world full of them, or shall I say us?

Yeah, all in all, I think it's grand to be me, equipped with the insight that still makes me laugh at most of the things I perceive. Not to speak of the people. Call it arrogance; I prefer honesty.

But, you guessed right, I'm joking, once more, since I'm non and at the same time, all of the above-said, am I?

Well, you might find out, and please, feel free to tell me once you come to any conclusions…

But back to what inspired my `thoughtfulness'. I feel generous, and therefore will grant you, whoever you are, one short glimpse at the scenery, makes things easier for all of us. Though, sticking with the easiest solutions has rarely been my choice, but well, for the sake of your understanding:

I am naked, lying sprawled out on a cold desk, my arms are fixed to by sides by some bonds, probably made of the same icy material as the table, holding me firmly in place…

I apologise, for I resorted to teasing you once again. Frankly, I have no idea how to start, and this was the first coming to my mind…As corrupted as you allow me to be, just being myself or once more laughing at anyone gullible enough to take anything said to heart…

One more discovery to be made- yet. And for all of you whose `dark' fantasies have just come to a sudden end, I don't give a damn, though I should maybe feel pity. But don't fear, we might continue this some other time…

As far as talking about me being sprawled out I was correct, albeit on the pavement of some pedestrian area in West City. Admittedly, quite a fascinating position, the buildings are looming far above my head and seem to be bent in a strange angle that, hadn't I sobered up, would have caused me serious paranoia and might have lead to questions regarding their stability. Trust me, the Leaning Tower of Pisa is nothing compared to this, but once again, that might just be me.

On with my incredibly accurate description of my whereabouts: As I said, I'm in West City, even though I'm not that sure where exactly. I should have asked Turles before I sent him away…And once again, a statement that has the potential to raise more questions rather than finally providing some answers…seems to become a habit of mine…interesting.

What more to say? There's a fountain, that looks as if it was supposed to be the center of this place, though a -in all likelihood drunk- architect messed it all up. How I love modern cities and the way they're built, abominations, but ones that offer some sort of cheap entertainment…Everyone gets what they deserve, I guess, and judging from the cities today's civilised perfection of the human race is living in, that is evidence of incapacity…

The pavement I'm sitting on is of a dull grey colour, decorated by the occasional chewing gum or stub, the latter strangely accumulated on the left of my body.

As for some signs of nature, there are none, no trees, no bushes, not even those small flowers that possess the tendency to look sickeningly out of place whenever I spot them near a main road. One more comment that would anyone knowing me running in search of a clinical thermometer…

I guess I'll blame my still abnormal mood on the situation and the time…Talking about such, I suddenly realise I have no idea about the aforementioned. Which is certainly bad. Getting up I postpone my insightful moments (seems like this is becoming a tendency) and get up.

Unfolding my coat, which I had previously laid my head on, the goose bumps on my arms make me notice the temperature. Too absorbed in thought I hadn't noticed how damn cold it had become. Late August…fitting, as the reasonable voice residing somewhere inside my head points out.

In one swift motion I don the jacket and stride away, as I decide to search the town-hall as some kind of direction sign, though mainly to check the time at the large clock embedded in its forefront. After all, I'm quite sure I'll be late anyway, might as well know how much of Goku's anger I'll face when I arrive…

Having nothing better to do I take up the thoughts that had decided to occupy me earlier on.

However shallow they were, thinking such did distribute a distraction from the doubts that are coming back with a vengeance. Totally dulled last night, in the company of the others, there is no distraction present I could pretend requires my attention enough to ban the recurring annoyance, as I had affectionately dubbed what I suspect is my conscience.

Astounding as it was, it had survived, nagging me as soon as I didn't provide my mind with something interesting enough to keep its attention.

Looking up I realise my sense of direction had returned to full function as the town hall I had made up for was right in front of me. Good start, I'd say, even though the positive thought's soon replaced when I gaze at the clock. Since its failure would be an as pleasant as far-fetched explanation I grudgingly quicken my pace.

This could definitely be the last straw, as I am not too sure how much longer Briefs' goodwill is going to outweight his -admittedly righteous- anger…But would I be here, striding back to my `home' if I hadn't convinced myself long ago to be beyond caring?

Walking on I reach into my coat's pockets, searching for a cigarette. Down this road and I'll be there. By now chances are high that they have noticed my disappearance. Great timing, since my thoughts are immediately affirmed by a dark blue car approaching my current position. Goku.

Sure enough the car passes me before turning on the still barely used road and slowly approaching me from behind. I inhale one last time before throwing the cigarette away, naturally to my right, where it, deplorably, hits a passing car. Couldn't have known, could I…Childish, I'm well aware of that, but I sometimes can't help it.

Besides, it only adds to Goku's mood, which might not have been the most clever thing to do. Even though the man possesses patience foreign to me and a friendliness that might shame all the world's four-year-old flower girls, he can get pretty unpleasant when angry. A challenge I've mastered repeatedly…

Stopping a few feet in front of me, Goku opens the door in one swift motion that allows me a pretty exact assessment of his state of anger. His voice betrays his calm exterior as he tries to pronounce my name calmly, but fails. The fact he addresses me not only by my first but my last name as well, is a sign of distress. Vegeta Ouji, supreme analyst of Goku and everything related. The thought makes me smile, obviously to the older man's displeasure, as he quickly marches up to me and forcefully grabs my arms. A move I honestly didn't expect, particularly not from him…

I frown but he soon forces me to clench my teeth to suppress the groan that threatens to escape my throat as he releases my right arm just to twist the left in a swift, and equally unexpected move, enough to make it uncomfortable.

Still surprised I don't resist when he turns and roughly pushes me in the direction of his car.

Totally un-gokuish behaviour, my mind comments silently, while at the same time vehemently berating my body for its pathetic lack of reaction. Reminds me of father and his lessons to `never underestimate your opponent'…