Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Vegeta's Proposal ❯ 2. Explaining the Ordeal ( Chapter 2 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter Two

Vegeta looked out of the car window, crossed his arms, and scowled. "Driving is a waste of time," he thought grumpily. "I could get there twice as fast if I flew." But unfortunately for the impatient Prince, Kakkarot's woman couldn't fly. Therefore, they were forced to travel the slower way. "Maybe I should teach Bulma to fly," Vegeta mused. "I'd definitely be one up on Kakkarot if my woman could fly and his couldn't."

He looked across at the driver of the car and scowled again. He hated having to take advice from Kakkarot's woman, but Vegeta was determined to go through with it for Bulma's sake. However little he showed it to outsiders, he did appreciate her, enough to cope with this infernal `marriage' thing anyway.

But he had to admit that when the woman had told him exactly what was involved in a wedding, he, the Prince of all Saiyans, had nearly backed out. So many little details, so many things to endure - engagement parties, bridal showers, bachelor parties, ceremonies, receptions, fancy rings, fancy outfits, fancy rituals, fancy food…

That alone had the power to get Vegeta's attention.

"Food?" His eyes left the car window and shot to the black-haired woman beside him.

"Yes, food," she confirmed. "And lots of it, too - Saiyans are bad enough to feed when there's only one of you, but with five-"

"Five?" interrupted Vegeta. "I refuse to let Kakkarot or any of his kids have anything to do with this or get involved in any way!"

"Hey, Vegeta, watch your mouth!" the woman snapped. "Besides, Bulma and Goku have been friends for years. You can't expect us not to be there for her wedding."

Vegeta snorted derisively, but the woman had a point. Kakkarot, the baka, was friends with Vegeta's woman. He would tolerate that idiotic excuse for a third-class soldier if it would make Bulma happy.

(A/N: Aw, how sweet)

"Well, here we are," said Chi Chi, pulling to a stop. *Finally* she added to herself. She got out of the car and walked around to the footpath to find that Vegeta was having problems. A scowl on his face that would send a Rottweiler yelping back to its kennel, he was awkwardly attempting to manoeuvre his muscly body out of the too-small car door. Chi Chi was about to step in, certain he would pull the door right off or blast the vehicle to another dimension or something along those lines, when with a grunt, Vegeta moved a leg and somehow ended up on the sidewalk. Casting the car a withering glare normally reserved for Kakkarot himself, Vegeta folded his arms and pointedly awaited directions. Instinctively knowing to keep her mouth shut despite the suicidal urge to laugh hysterically, Chi Chi silently shut the door (which he had left open) and led him along the sidewalk.

People avoided them as they walked, even the stupidest people seeing Vegeta's dangerous glare and temperament just by looking at him. The two of them had no trouble negotiating their way through the crowded shopping centre.

Chi Chi led Vegeta to a jewellery store where he could get a ring for Bulma. Explaining their goal as they entered the shop, Chi Chi ignored his snide remarks about "useless human habits" and looked around for a shop assistant. Vegeta stood in the middle of the shop, arms folded, feet planted, Prince's scowl firmly in place, while Chi Chi attracted the attention of a store person.

"HEY! YOU THERE! A LITTLE SERVICE WOULD BE NICE!"

The young woman wasted no time in attending them. "How may I help you?" she asked, her voice trembling.

"We want to buy an engagement ring," said Chi Chi peremptorily.

"Of course, just let me show you our range…" The saleswoman quickly produced a display case full of beautiful rings of many designs.

"Vegeta, come over here," ordered Chi Chi. The Saiyan walked up and looked at her expectantly.

"Well? What is it?"

"Here," Chi Chi gestured to the case, "see if you like any of these." Then she realised who she was talking to (and exactly how much he cared for jewellery) and amended quickly, "I mean, see if there are any here you think Bulma would like."

"Bulma?" questioned the assistant, "Bulma is the fiance? So you two aren't…?" She looked from Vegeta to Chi Chi and back again.

They both snorted derisively, proving how much truth there was in that theory.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I just assumed that-" The saleswoman cut off abruptly as Chi Chi and Vegeta glared at her threateningly.

(A/N: Poor, foolish woman doesn't know what she was suggesting.)

-_-_-_-_-_-

Next time: choosing a ring and paying for it sounds simple enough, but everyone's favourite Saiyan Prince just has to complicate matters a little! Pity the poor saleswoman that has to deal with those two!