Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Vegeta's Proposal ❯ 6. Answering the Question ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter Six

Bulma waited twenty minutes before rushing around the house to the gravity room. Sure enough, the light was on and there was the sound of humming machinery coming from the chamber. She paused just outside the door, breathless with the effort of trying not to laugh. She was such a genius; it amazed even her sometimes. It certainly took a genius to appreciate the simple brilliance of her plan. In one hand, Bulma clutched a spray bottle of whipped cream, in the other, a pair of wire cutters. For a moment she waited, running over the few steps in her head, then, in one movement, she threw the main power switch and opened the door.

"Eat this, Vegeta!" she cried as she stepped inside and fired a powerful blast of whipped cream.

Her attack fell on empty air. Bulma blinked and stared. There was nobody there. But she could have sworn she saw him through the window! She looked around, bewildered. It was like he had gone *poof* straight through a wall. *Poof might be pretty accurate where Vegeta's concerned* though Bulma suddenly. She giggled. *Well, not all those tight spandex training uniforms can be for my benefit* she thought wickedly. *And he always says he wants to beat Goku. Maybe he has some other physical activities in mind!* Bulma laughed out loud, insanely amused by her own thoughts.

"I don't think you should be laughing right now," whispered a voice in Bulma's ear. Vegeta's breath tickled her ear, but a second later her smile vanished as he wrapped his strong arms around her and took off. She shrieked.

"Vegeta! Put me down!" she ordered. Vegeta chuckled and landed on the roof of the Capsule Corp building. Bulma struggled to keep her footing as he released her abruptly. He stood several feet away, arms folded, feet planted, in classic Vegeta stance, with the classic Vegeta smirk on his face as Bulma, in her brand-new heels, wobbled on the curved roof. "This isn't funny!" she snapped angrily.

"Sure it is," Vegeta answered, snickering.

"Vegeta, if you don't put me back down on the ground this instant, I swear I'll-oomph-" At that moment he seized her again and lifted her onto the topmost part of the roof, where it was a bit flatter and easier to balance. "There, are you happy now?" he asked smugly. Bulma longed to wipe that expression off his face, preferably with a metal scouring brush.

"No!" she growled, trying to hide her fear. "I mean it Vegeta - put me back down right now!"

"You're no fun," Vegeta complained. To Bulma's horror he flew back several feet away from her. "Maybe I'll just … leave you there?" He grinned and turned to fly away.

"VEGETA DON'T LEAVE ME HERE!" she screeched frantically, abandoning all pretence.

A second later he was there in front of her, seizing her left hand and planting a searing kiss on her mouth. As his lips left hers Bulma gasped incredulously and stared at him. His deep black eyes bored into hers, his expression deadly serious and so intense that Bulma involuntarily took a step backwards. But he still held her by the hand. She looked down nervously and got the shock of her life when she saw a ring glittering on the third finger.

"Marry me, woman," ordered Vegeta, his voice low.

"Wh … th … ma … marry you?" she stuttered. Vegeta nodded. Wordlessly Bulma's mouth moved and Vegeta waited impatiently for her to say yes. Then the gorgeous woman would be his forever. Vegeta felt mildly surprised at himself for going to so much trouble, getting her on the roof, teasing her to the point of fear, then taking her completely by surprise with his proposal, when she was as good as his anyway. Vegeta heard her intake of breath as she prepared to speak, saw her clench her fists at her sides. Strangely enough, he had the feeling he was about to receive a frying pan straight across the head.

Then the silence was shattered.

"HOW DARE YOU VEGETA … THINK YOU CAN JUST POP THE QUESTION OUT OF NOWHERE LIKE THAT … I'M NOT SOME TOY YOU CAN PRESS A BUTTON AND TURN ON AND OFF WHENEVER YOU FEEL LIKE … AND IF YOU THINK I'M GOING TO SAY YES AFTER BEING DRENCHED IN ICE-WATER AND DROPPED ON TOP OF A BUILDING … YOU'VE GOT SOME NERVE VEGETA … I SHOULD KICK YOU OUT OF THE HOUSE RIGHT NOW … TURN THAT GRAVITY MACHINE INTO SCRAP METAL … BETTER YET, GIVE IT TO GOKU … DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU GOT SUCH A CRAZY IDEA FROM … YOU'RE SO ARROGANT AND STUCK-UP AND PROUD AND-"

"And that's why you're going to say yes," Vegeta finished for her. "Because you love me."

Cut off in the midst of a truly formidable rant, Bulma stared at him speechlessly for a moment. Her train of though had been suddenly derailed into a marsh. She gaped at Vegeta for a long moment, unable to form words.

Vegeta smirked. Her knew just what to do now. While Bulma stood silently, he took both her hands, brought them up to his chest and held her eyes. He said slowly, "Marry me. I love you, Bulma." He said her name as though it was the most beautiful sound in the world. *Good God, I'm turning into one of those sentimental humans* he thought suddenly. *Next thing I know, I'll be running around like a baka, like Kakkarot, picking flowers, and being nice … smiling! And … and feeling happy! What a detestable thought!* Vegeta jerked out of his trance to find that Bulma was smiling all over her face.

In any other situation, Vegeta would have become wary - last time he had seen her give him such a warm smile had been right before the wardrobe incident. Vegeta remembered the occasion well - it had taken him more than four days to find his clothes, and in the meantime she had supplied his outfits … Vegeta suppressed a shudder at the horrible memory. The pink shirt had been bad enough, but the wardrobe incident had been pure evil…

The look Bulma was giving him now was different. Her cerulean eyes were shining and her hands were clasped in front of her. "Oh, Vegeta," she whispered, and threw her arms around him.

Vegeta smirked into her hair as he held her tight. He'd never doubted the woman's genius. Her acceptant, inevitable though it had been, proved her intelligence yet again.

"I'll take that as a yes," he smiled.

-_-_-_-_-_-

The End.

-_-_-_-_-_-