Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ West City Academy ❯ Supply and Demand ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: So the car model is a Z9000… did anybody catch that? And does anyone think it's great that a girl is the only one that can fix the car? I mean auto-mechanics is stereotypically a male job. I don't know why I find it hilarious that a bunch of "meat-head" guys watch a kinda girly-girl examine and prod a car. Anyways, without further ado…

OoO

Supply & Demand

How is it that this girl has been able to repeatedly leave him speechless in such a short amount of time? Vegeta was sure that she was purposefully riling him up, leading him on, and making him sweat as she took her time thinking. And he saw the moment the idea crossed her mind. There was an instant illumination in her eyes, a shine of determination that he had seen before. He couldn't quite believe she had the nerve. What he did know was… "That is utterly ridiculous."

"Is it? I guess you don't really need your father's car fixed after all."

"Be reasonable. One car in exchange for an entire company? I don't have the authority to do that."

"You don't have the authority or the power now, but you will. But, I'll agree that the imbursement is excessive."

"Then by all means, suggest something else."

"No."

He could feel his eye twitch in annoyance, "No?"

"There is a way this can work." she placed a hand under her chin as she really put her mind on the matter. It was plain that the gears in her head were working. Her brows came down in a focused and pensive expression. She then looked at her watch, "No it's not too late." she said mostly to herself.

"Not too late for what?"

"Lawyer up, Ouji, this deal is going to happen." caught up with the excitement of the new and sudden venture, Bulma started making her way out, clearly forgetting to share her thoughts with anyone.

But Vegeta wasn't one to be left in the dark. He found himself stepping in her way her again, "Lawyer up? Explain yourself."

She sighed but conceded, "Well since you're in need of my expertise and now that I've made it clear what I'm after, I'm sure a realistic exchange can be made."

"What do you propose?"

"A contract to be drafted. I need Ouji Enterprises, or rather your full cooperation with Capsule Corp. when you takeover. Since I don't trust you, I want this in writing."

It seemed too complicated, "This is a time sensitive issue. What you're proposing is a lengthy process."

"You're the one in a time crunch, not me."

It was true. Due to that fact he was feeling the pressure to agree to whatever she wanted. But he had to be prudent. He couldn't just blindly jump on the first offer made. Naturally, he was skeptical of her intentions, "That can't possibly be all."

She scoffed, "Of course not. Do you seriously think my skills and time come cheap? You'll pay for the full amount the car is worth plus labor."

"I thought you said you didn't need money."

"I don't but I can't pass up the opportunity to drain you of some cash."

He grimaced, "And what if I don't become head of Ouji Enterprises?"

"It would be unfortunate but seeing the track your taking it's more possible than not. No offense. There can be a clause written that states something along the lines of: in the event that you do not have the power to make decisions for and/or in behalf of OE, then you will be fined the total original value of the Z9000. So in other words, if you are not the boss then you'll have to pay again. I'm sure the lawyers will clean it up and make it sound pretty."

By this time Vegeta had been rubbing his temples, "What you're saying is that I will have to pay double if I don't hold up my part of the bargain?"

"I think it's fair. Look, I want Ouji Enterprises to thrive if it's going to be in business with my company. The contract will merely say that OE will side with Capsule Corp. and that, if it benefits both parties, an agreement to merge can potentially be made. "Preferably an acquisition. She was going to make sure to add an option or a sort of stipulation for that.

"A merger?" his voice held a hint of weariness. He had been agonizingly tired for days and was now starting to break. But he shook his head in an attempt to fight off his exhaustion. With a silent huff, he fixed his attention and whatever energy he had to the negotiation at hand, "It seems like you're getting a lot out of this."

Bulma shrugged, "Basic economics. Law of supply and demand."

He understood what she was referring to, "Humph, of course. If I were to agree to this, I want the assurance that this will not be disclosed." Vegeta looked around the room eyeing the other four individuals. Raditz and Nappa stood watching, unmoving like the soldiers they were trained to be at Cold Military Academy alongside him. He was sure they will keep the events of the day to themselves. Kakarot and the short, bald one were evidentially engrossed with the exchange if the look on their faces was any indication. He shot them both a threatening look that made Kakarot sheepishly smile and the short one to startle.

"They won't say anything." Bulma assured him.

He looked back at her, "It will come as no surprise that I similarly don't trust you. If this agreement is to be drawn up I want that condition included."

"Specifically?..."

"If this gets exposed, the contract is terminated."

Bulma understood his main concern: he didn't want his father finding out. It had her wondering what Vegeta Sr. would do if he were to discover what his son had done. "Fair enough."

"It would require the signatures from everyone present."

"Everyone? This is between you and me. There's no need to include everyone."

"I disagree. The only way to guarantee no one will go blabbing their mouth is if there are repercussions. This contract should include a penalty for the culprit. I'm sure the lawyers will weave it all together."

Bulma looked over at Goku and Krillin to see their reaction. She didn't think she would get that involved with the situation, least of all them. They didn't seem to have a problem. She looked back at Vegeta, "Any other suggestions?"

"Not at the moment"

"Good. Do we have a deal?"

"It would seem that we do."

They didn't waste any time. Vegeta and Bulma quickly looked for their phones and called their companies' attorneys. Bulma occupied the Son's living room and Vegeta paced around in the kitchen. From either end of the house an assortment of discussions by phone was heard. Although there were only two people talking and moving about, there seemed to be the energy of a small crowd in the humble household.

Bulma was first to end the conversation with Capsule Corp.'s legal representatives. She heaved a sigh when she hung up and let herself fall on one of the sofas. They weren't even close to being done and she had to mentally prepare herself for what she was about to undertake.

Her sight traveled to her friends. Goku and Krillin were on their phones looking completely bored. She felt bad that they had to stay and endure Vegeta with her. "Hey, guys…" they looked at her, "…sorry you had to stay."

Krillin shrugged, "It's alright. It's not your fault we got dragged into this."

"Not entirely. I could've just driven here on my own. I didn't have to bum a ride."

"Well, I already knew about the car so maybe I was supposed to be here anyways." Goku said.

She still felt at fault, "Look, I think I can find a way to get both of you out of this-"

"Forget it. We're sticking with you till the end. Right, Krillin?"

"I've got nothing better to do. Well, there's homework… yup, nothing better to do."

Bulma was touched by their support. They were both absolute sweethearts even if they are two of the best fighters in West City Academy. She was about to tell them how much she appreciated them and their friendship and loyalty but Vegeta entered the living room interrupting the moment. "They will be here shortly." he informed her.

"Good. They understand the sort of arrangement we'll be discussing?"

"You're already wasting my time with this unnecessary proceeding. Don't waste my time with stupid questions as well."

Rude jerk. "Geez. You can never be too sure."

It didn't take long before Capsule Corporation and Ouji Enterprises' attorney came. All six arrived in luxury automobiles dressed in the finest suits. Bulma tried to ignore how unprofessionally dressed she and all the boys were and how out of place the lawyers were in the Son household. Make up for that with the right attitude and knowhow. She told herself. She knew that the reason the professionals seemed eager to be there was because they were getting handsomely paid.

She greeted all of the lawyers with a smile and confident handshake. The rest did the same, although not everyone did so with a smile.

They took up the whole dining room table. There were papers, laptops, cables, and they even managed to hook up a printer. It was impressive how well prepared the lawyers were and although that made things run smoothly for the most part, the entire process, nevertheless, took a long time. There were discussions and disagreements and fine-tuning. They talked about the basis of the agreement, the parties involved, dates, the conditions, the details, additional information, and everything else in between. It was grueling.

They were nearing the end; the final contract was currently being printed. Bulma looked down at her watch. Four hours and counting. It was already dark outside but they were almost done. The boys; Raditz, Nappa, Krillin, and Goku lined up to sign. Vegeta and she were the last. They all received a copy and the originals were kept with the attorneys.

There was a detail that they couldn't get around. Since they were all minors, the contract couldn't be enforced. They would all have to meet up when they were legal adults to resign the contract.

Once it was over both companies' lawyers duly packed up the paperwork and equipment and made their way to leave. It was a big payday for them and it was certain that all they wanted was to go home to their families or go out to celebrate.

Bulma waited to be one of the last ones leaving. All the while, she looked through all the sheets as she made her way out. When she looked up she noticed Vegeta was standing next to the door. She headed to him before he left, "That wasn't too painful, right?"

"Humph."

"I'll take the car with me today and start on it tomorrow." she told him.

"How are you thinking about doing that? It can't even capsule."

"No faith in me already, huh? I know how to fix that. Capsuling won't be a problem. You wouldn't want any upgrades, would you?"

"No. Just fix it to what it once was."

Bulma scoffed, "As you wish, your highness."

His eyes narrowed, insufferable wench.

"You look frightening." she said matter-of-factly, unfazed by his hard glare, "Just go home and sleep this off, Ouji. I'll see you around before I return the car good as new."

"Yes, you will."

OoO

Her heart was racing, legs burning, sweating, but she felt free. She kept going, lost in the moment and music. The sun was starting to shine seeming to caress everything awake. It was a good thing that she lived in a safe neighborhood or else she wouldn't feel comfortable being out right before dawn. She only needed a little further to go. Perhaps a mile or less…

"Woman!"

The voice came too close from her side. Her heart came up to her throat. She screamed and involuntarily leapt away from the aggressor.

There was deep, throaty chuckle followed by, "For fuck sakes don't wake up the neighborhood with your banshee shriek."

She had taken her earphones out. Her heart was still beating vigorously but she recognized the voice. With her hand on her chest the turned to look at him. He was leaning against a brick pillar of his house with an amused smirk adorning his features. She didn't even realize she was passing his home. Catching her breath she quickly looked him over, observing his athletic attire.

"What the hell! Don't sneak up on people like that!"

"I'm simply making sure you're holding up your part of the agreement. But I see that you're already wasting time."

She groaned, "You gotta be fucking kidding me. A fifteen minute run won't make a difference."

"I beg to differ. Besides, you're coming in closer to a half-hour than fifteen minutes. That makes a difference."

She incredulously glared at him, "You're timing me?"

"Of course. There is a lot riding on your performance and I'd be a fool not to oversee your actions till the reparations are complete."

Bulma hands came to her hips, "That wasn't part of the agreement."

"I don't recall there being anything that said I couldn't oversee the progress."

She was quite for a moment as she thought that through. Damn it. That wasn't discussed. “This is a waste of time, you know. I could've already made it back home if you wouldn't have interrupted."

His eyes narrowed, "Well, I guess you better run faster."

Bulma returned the glare, "Jerk."

"She-devil."

She grimaced even as she turned around and continued on her route. She wanted to put as much distance between her and Vegeta as possible. Starting with a walk, she gradually started to jog and then eased into a nice running pace. She was trying to relax and build her running momentum. She tried to not think about the car, the agreement, or anything to no avail. Bulma hated to admit it but Vegeta just put a cramp on her morning and that annoyed her more than actually seeing him. Just run it off, ol' girl.

There was a distant sound of a rhythmic stride. The steady resonance of footsteps against pavement came closer. Looking to her side she was met with Vegeta catching up to her.

"You call that running faster?"

She was flabbergasted at his actions, "What the hell do you think you're doing?" she asked between breaths.

He sped up, spun around, and ran backwards. He made it look so effortless, "This can't possibly be how fast you are able to run. No wonder it takes you so long."

She seethed. He really had a way to grind her gears.

He grinned at her reaction, "What's wrong, woman? Can't keep up?" with a mocking laugh, he turned around and continued running ahead of her.

She glared daggers at the back of his head. It was really hard not to be aggravated by him and it was equally harder not to take the challenge. Bulma sped up, her eyes targeted on him.

Vegeta could hear and feel her getting closer. He knew she would attempt to catch up but he was surprised she was actually doing so. Looking to his side, he was met with her running by his side.

"It's really pathetic…" she was having a hard time speaking and running, "...you doing this."

"Then stop following after me." he quickened his pace.

She sped up as well, shoving him as she passed, "And let you beat me? Fat chance!"

He growled under his breath and proceeded to go faster.

Both were fully sprinting, darting down the neighborhood at their top speeds. Pets, critters, and even neighbors were startled by the figures whizzing by. There was a particular neighbor Bulma was sure they pushed down if the sound of someone falling against the sidewalk and yelling, "You damn kids!" was any indication. But that was the least of their worries. Her dome-like house was getting closer and they both had their sights set on it. One second he was ahead and the next she was. They flew passed the front gates of the Capsule Corp. residence and both finally came to a stop.

They were mutually breathless and panting and neither uttered a single word as they tried to their catch breath. They did eye each other in complete disdain.

Bulma was finally able to speak, "Fuck! You're such an asshole, Ouji."

"Whatever. You got here faster, didn't you?"

"Not the point."

"The point was for you to hurry up and it worked." his breathing was evening out. He started making his way to her, "This serves as a lesson to you. Stop wasting time and get to work."

"Don't tell me what to do! Believe it or not, you're not my top priority. I'll get to work whenever I see fit."

Taking advantage of their size difference, he came as close as he could and looked down at her, "Get your priorities in order. I'm a paying customer waiting for your services to be completed and I don't appreciate you delaying the work. You only have three days."

"I know that." She was aware of what he was doing it. Whether it was intentional or not, it was still unnerving. This close she was able to see just how drenched in sweat he was. She was sure she was just as drenched as he and somewhere in the back of her mind there was an inkling of satisfaction for being able to wear him out. "You have to get back, you know. Was this all really worth it?"

"I wouldn't do it if it wasn't." he brusquely pushed past her as he made his way out. She rubbed her shoulder as she watched him leave. But he turned around and walked backwards. He shot her condescending smirk, "By the way, how does it feeling losing for a change, Briefs?" Bulma couldn't keep from frowning and he laughed at her reaction.

Always such a jerk. She waited till he was finally out of sight. Taking a deep breath, she went inside and tried not to let that morning ruin the rest of the day.

OoO

He changed gears and took a sharp turn.

"Hey! Will you take it easy."

"How else do you think I'd be able to conduct a proper test?"

"Do you really want to wreck it again? Especially so soon? I'm brilliant but I can't work miracles, you know."

Gear shift and he accelerated, "That's rich coming from a rotten driver."

"How would you know how I drive?"

"Everyone and their grandmothers' know how terrible you drive."

She knew he was trying to rile her, "Whatever."

"That's it? No attempt at a passable witty retort?"

"I just so happen to be a little tired. Get off my back."

"Pitiful."

Her brows furrowed as she scowled at him. She would have said something but she was truly too tired to even bother calling him a name. Bulma was barely holding it together. She knew that it was going to take a while to get everything completed but what usually takes a week, she finished in a little over two days. Her weekend was literally spent fixing the car and she barely managed to squeeze in some sleep. There were moments when she thought she wasn't going to finish by when it was due but she managed right at the brink of time.

Vegeta didn't make it any better. He not only bothered her during a few of her morning runs but he actually came by to see her work. He called it overseeing the progress but she could swear he did it as a form of torture. He came in unannounced, demanding updates and basically insulting her work. During those two and a half days, Bulma had seen Vegeta in her garage a seemingly infinite amount of times. She frankly lost count of how much he stopped by. And to make matters worse, he interrupted her workflow. It caused her to lose sight of what she was doing which forced her to backtrack which wasted time and, on a few occasions, caused her to hurt herself. She was even close to losing her voice during a verbal spat with the OE heir. It was all agonizingly harder than what it had to be.

Now she sat in the passenger seat of the brand new Z9000 while Vegeta drove. She was still in a worn mechanic's coverall spattered in oil and her hair up in a messy bun. She knew that Vegeta would comment on her appearance. True to form, he did and she tried her best to ignore it. Oddly enough, it helped that she was drained.

He pulled up to the Son's house and they both got out. Raditz, Nappa, Krillin, and Goku were waiting for them.

Her eyes followed Vegeta as he circled the car, "You've already done that."

"Yes, but you can never tell whether a job was done correctly or not."

She rolled her eyes. He was doing it again, fishing to aggravate her, "Of course it is. It's some of my best work considering the circumstances."

"Your best work? I'm sure that's not saying much."

She crossed her arms, "The car was exceptionally repaired."

He lazily eyed the Z9000, "It is… adequate."

"Adequate?" she arched an eyebrow in annoyance.

He looked at Nappa and Raditz and grinned before turning his attention to her again, "You simply redid your fathers work. That's not a true accomplishment, is it?"

"I helped design it."

"Oh really? Was your job picking out the color?"

"What is your deal! You ha-"

Raditz stepped in with an amused smile of his own, "Calm down, Blue. He's just messing with you."

Goku put a hand on her shoulder, "Yeah, Bulma. The car looks great."

She took a deep breath and tried to keep her composure. The lack of sleep and rest evoked her cranky disposition. She could hear Nappa's hearty chuckle and looking at Vegeta she could see that he was amused as well. She shook her head disapprovingly. But if she was honest with herself, she was disappointed that Vegeta managed to get under her skin again. "Fine. Look it's done. Either take it or leave it."

"Of course I'll take it."

"Good." she extended her hand to him, "It was a pain-in-the-ass doing business with you."

He apprehensively eyed her hand for an instant before taking it, "For once I agree. I just hope we never have to exchange words again."

"Likewise. But, as the contract stipulates, we will have to in the near future."

"I dread that day to come."

"As do I."

"Till we become of age, woman."

"Till we become of age, jerk." with a final handshake they finalized their agreement.

OoO

She tired balancing her coffee, her bag, and the books she was both putting in and taking out of her locker. It was a tad bit more complicated than she cared to admit.

"I just can't believe how cold and hateful you were to him." Krillin said as he leaned on the lockers next to hers, "I mean, I don't like the guy either but I don't think I've ever seen anyone treat him that way before."

Her eyes darted around for a place to put her coffee. Goku was standing next to Krillin and she handed him her cup. "Vegeta and me have never liked each other. That's probably why there's so much hate between us." she explained.

Goku reflexively held her drink, "I didn't even know you guys knew each other."

"Who knows one another?" Chichi asked as she came over. She nuzzled into Goku's arms and kissed him on the cheek.

"Hey, babe." he put an arm over Chichi's shoulder, "We were just talking about Bulma not liking Vegeta."

"That's not surprising. Why would anyone like that mean brute?"

"Geez, Chi. That's not very nice."

"Well, it's true."

Bulma laughed, "That's funny coming from you."

Goku was genuinely puzzled, "What do you mean?"

"Do you really not know?" she closed her locker and took her coffee back from Goku. I was truthfully ironic since everyone knows that Vegeta couldn't stand him.

"No. I think he's a pretty great guy."

"You and the majority of girls if any of the rumors are true." Krillin said.

"Nah. They can't all be true."

Bulma shook her head, "It's incredible how you see the good in even the scummiest people."

"He does have a different girl hanging around him anytime I see him." Chichi looked up at Goku, "Come to think of it, so does your brother."

"Yeah, but doesn't really mean anything. Raditz and his friends barely give the girls the light of day."

"That's part of the rumors-could-be-true, he's-a-scummy-guy point they're trying to make, Goku." Bulma told him.

"Huh?"

Chichi looked up from her watch, "Bell's about to ring. We better head to class."

They said their goodbyes and as the couple left, Bulma could make out Goku asking Chichi, "Who was making what point?"

She took a sip of coffee, "Incredible."

"Tell me about it. I'm not sure how he does it." Krillin looked at her and took a moment to observe her, "You look tired."

"Gee thanks."

"I didn't mean it in a bad way. You wear tired good."

"Nice save, Krillin."

He gave her a cheesy smile. "I do what I can. But… are you ok?"

"Honestly? I'm exhausted. I kinda fell behind on homework because of the whole…. car fixing thing."

"Do you need any hel-"

Just then Eighteen came over, "Hey."

"Hi."

Krillin chuckled nervously, "Well, I guess this is my cue to go. I'll see you later, Bulma." he looked at the striking blonde, "Bye, Eighteen."

The girls watched his retreating form scurry off. "That was weird." Eighteen said.

"Yeah, a little weird." Bulma caught the blush that colored Krillin's cheeks and understood why he was so nervous. She wondered who else had the feeling that Krillin had a crush on Eighteen.

The bell rung and the girls talked as they headed to class.

OoO

A/N: I did not expect this chapter to be as B/V centric as it turned out to be. I tried to write their banter as realistic as I could. Anyways, as always I encourage anyone (everyone) to review.